Latverian- a Romani Marvel Fanlang

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Shemtov
runic
runic

Latverian- a Romani Marvel Fanlang

Post by Shemtov »

This is a fanlang for the Marvel (comics) fictional nation of Latveria. Note that for the sake of realism, I have changed the history (In comparison with the comic book. It is still a superhero universe, after all)

History:
After the fall of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, a former nobleman named Werner Von Dumm was adopted by the Latverians, a Romani tribe that wandered the area around south Transylvania and nearby Hungary, having achieved Romanipen. He married a Roma woman and had a son, who when interacting with Gadjos used the name "Viktor". Viktor's mother was a great practitioner of Hokkani boro, and was approached by a Demon named Mephisto who taught her real magic. She taught this to "Viktor". During WWII, the Latverians escaped the Holocaust, but with great losses, including "Viktor's" mother. After the war, "Viktor" learned that the "escape" was done by the chieftain bribing the Nazis, and the losses were a sacrifice. In anger, "Viktor" turned the Latverians against the chieftain, and using his mother's magic, and scientific books from his late father, lead a rebbellion against him. He also declared that to prevent such atrocities, the current Kris-Romani must be abandoned, and a "Romani State" must be established,in the current Latverian Campsite and environs to be called Romakheria. A genius, he used the scientific knowledge to rebel against Communist Romania, and "liberated" Romakheria. Seeing a potential ally in the midst of the Eastern Bloc, America invited him to come to an American college, where he majored in Engineering. However, he combined magic and science, and was scarred in an attempt to make a deal with Mephisto himself, in exchange for the Resurrection of his mother. He returned home, and became a dictator, and seeing that no other Roma would immigrate, changed his country's name to "Latveria". He established a Robotic police force, using the knowledge he obtained in America, making Latveria a "Technopolice State" according to some observers. Latverian Romani became the official language.

Latverian Romani is heavily influenced by Hungarian.

Phonology:
p pʰ b t tʰ d t͡s t͡ʃ c ɟ k kʰ g/ <p ph b t th d c cs ty gy k kh
/m n/ <m n>
/f v s z ʃ ʒ h/ <f v sz z s zs h>
/l r j/ <l r j>

/i u e o ə a/ <i u é o e a>

Nouns:
Most Latverian nouns end in a consonant, and have Masculine and Feminine genders. -é is added to make Masculine plurals, and -a for feminine. Thus "Csom" "road" "Csoma" "Roads" "Rom" "Man" "Romé" "Men". However, in the non-nominative cases, including some borowed from Hungarian, the oblique marker, <ész> is added.
I will not adress the Genitive in this post, as that is complicated
Cases (Using Kurek "week"):
Nominative: Kurek
Accusative: Kurkész
Dative: Kurkészké
Locative: Kurkészté
Allative: Kurkészoz
Ablative: Kurkésztar
Instrumental: Kurkéstya

Locative nouns often take prepositions:
Naglé csomészté
"In front of the road"

Pal csomészté
"Behind the road"

Pas csomészté
"Next to the road"
Last edited by Shemtov on 04 Dec 2018 02:46, edited 3 times in total.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Re: Latverian- a Romani Marvel Fanlang

Post by Salmoneus »

? That's the "realistic" version of the history!?
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Salmoneus wrote: 04 Dec 2018 01:25 ? That's the "realistic" version of the history!?
Compared to the comics, yes.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

I changed the history so it would be more realistic, not totally so, so those who are not used to the universe would not spend to much time on the "crazier" Canon story- thus I condensed it, and took some of the more crazy aspects out. It still follows the same beats, because I am not the creator, I do not own the IP of the story, but I knew those unfamiliar with the universe would think the actual canon version would be too insane, so I, as I said, presented a history that was condensed and smoothed out for a general audience, so the focus would be on the language itself. However, to remove all unrealistic elements would be to sh*t on the stories that inspired this Fanlang, and thus I pruned only what could be, so I had a consistent background, but one that was as close to canon as I could make it, without it being too ridiculous for a general audience. However, the focus is the language, within the background, whether that is the real canon, or my condensed, "pruned" version.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

The genitive is formed by adding the suffix -k to the nominative stem, and then putting a concord vowel after it: -o for Masculines, -i for feminines, and -é for plurals of both genders.
Thus:
Dumko dij
"Dum's Day"

Dumki csom
"Dum's road"

Dumké dijé
"Dum's Days"
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Verbal inflection:
Verb "Kam" "to want"
Present:
1Sing: Kamav
1Plr: Kamas
2Sing: Kamés
2PLR: Kamén
3Sing: Kamél
3PLR: Kamén

Past:
1Sing: Kamigyom
1Plr: Kamigyam
2Sing: Kamigyan
2PLR: Kamegyan
3Sing: Kamigyas
3PLR: Kamigyé

Khérész kamigyom
"I wanted a house"

Dum panész kamél
"Dum wants water"
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Borrowed verbs are followed by the verb kér-; depending on the item, there may be a deverbalizer -ar attached, but some are automatically converted into gerunds.
Élésész Dumésztar konjorar kérigyom, Dum élvét kérigyas
Élés-ész Dum-észtar konjor-ar kér-igyom, Dum élvét kér-igyas
mercy-ACC Dum-ABL beg-DENOM do-PST.1PSING Dum refuse do-PST-3PSING
"I begged Dum for mercy, and Dum refused."
-JRR Tolkien