Siųa

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
roninbodhisattva
MVP
MVP

Re: Siųa

Post by roninbodhisattva »

The migration across the Atlantic and Uralic contact seem like a little bit of stretch to me...
MONOBA
greek
greek

Post by MONOBA »

Why? Basque people did it regularly, so did Icelanders, and possibly much earlier people of the X MtDNA Haplogroup.
Only about 15 people can easily get a people through in case of a population bottleneck.
10,000 years ago most of the North-Atlantic was covered in Ice.
MONOBA
greek
greek

Post by MONOBA »

I'm redesigning the format or my dictionary and I'd like to ask if you believe there is anything important missing, or just general ideas as to how to make it better. Right now there is a lot of space because I only started working on this like two days ago and it's a fairly slow process (compiling from like 90000 sources)

But there you go:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/49643734/LEXICON
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

I hope you don't mind if I fail at constructive criticism; there's just so much to read! I just have a question that's been bothering me for a while, and it's not really about the language itself...

When you mean "hundreds of pages", what goes into that? How long are sections? I'm just really curious, because my language notebooks feel so... skimpy compared to what I think Siųa is, and even the phonology. Your phonology is longer than the document that covers my whole language (albeit excluding the wordlist). So kudos on that, and I hope Siųa has a bright future!
MONOBA
greek
greek

Post by MONOBA »

Well, when I say hundreds of pages I mean that I have many many pages of description.
Right now, and for the last months, I've been describing the verbs. I try to say everything there is to say about each part, by giving plenty of examples for each. I try to describe the use of everything in reasonable detail. But I often feel like I assume a lot of knowledge of the language from the reader.

I'm just shy about the English in the description. I feel like I can't make it sound good enough, just yet.
And there are so many inconsistencies when you have so much text, that I am constant reading everything I write to make sure everything is fine.
MONOBA
greek
greek

Post by MONOBA »

Wow. Sorry, I'm at work and I just reread what I wrote. Don't mind the insignificance.
MONOBA
greek
greek

Post by MONOBA »

MONOBA
greek
greek

Post by MONOBA »

INTERESTING EXAMPLES!

ehhamuasu kostomu dobmibma tapakka osi na
[ˈeh:ɑmuɑsu ˈkʰɔstɔmu ˈdɔʔpmɪʔpma ˈtʰɑpaʔka ˈɔsi na]
ehhamua-su kost-om-u-Ø dob=m-ibma tapak-ka osi na
detailed-cop.hab.transl.ass carve-past-pat.part-act handle-allat knife-gen 2p.sg.pron-loc ass.part
‘your carvings onto the handle of the blade are becoming detailed, I see’

dįikkate ṡindi atakka imanatįu oakibma ga kỉtkaisi satsi
[ˈʥɪʔkɑde ˈɕɪnʥi ˈɑtaʔka iˈmɑnɑʨu ˈɔaɟɪʔpma ga ˈcʰi:tkɑisi ˈsɑtsi]
Ø-dįikk-a-te ṡimi-di atan-ka i-man-a-tįu oak=ibma g-a kỉtkais-i s-atsi-Ø
tr-display-tr-link.adv bear.head-gen big-gen dit-come-tr-link.temp home-alat cop.past-ass smell.like.pitch-cop.past.ass 2p.pat-father-act
‘your father smelled like pitch when he came home bearing proudly a big bear head’

atyvmusta-ha de tįỉd-mo!
[ɑˈtym:ʊsta: de ˈʨi:ʥmo]
a-tyv-m-u-sta–ha de tįi<Ø>i-d–mo
transl-fat-inconl-ass.transl-pers–ass this.ina baby.stat–this.ina
‘this baby just keeps on getting fatter!’

usotsi tonta osomu te iįuri eukake ẻgika haįa se
[uˈsɔtsi ˈtʰɔnta ˈɔsɔmu de ˈijuri ˈeugaɟe ˈe:jiga ˈhɑja ˈse]
u-sot-s-i tom=ta osomu-Ø te iįuri-Ø euk-a-ke ẻgi=ka hai-a s-e
pass-give-hab-ass.concl.tr together ash-dat and spruce.pitch-dat produce-tr-link.goal 3p.pron.pl=elat glue-gen cop.hab.concl-infer.indic
‘ash and spruce pitch are mixed together to produce glue/gum’ (lit. ash and spruce pitch are given together so that/to produce out of them gum)
MONOBA
greek
greek

Post by MONOBA »

It's still very much alive and being described, and being used a lot. This text is about the displacement of a population of wolves whose size had become a problem. The title means "displacing the wolves". I know it's of no use for you really.

Here is a super rough list of words if you'd like to get a gist of what is being said:

tatska - to consider
kokkora nįanka - with a still mind
todattara - independently, freely, by oneself
sainia - secure, safe
kadla - enough
mikųa - to celebrate, to make a feast
saimra - alder
saumsukis - alder personification
-ɨkis - personification
uohke - for the honor of, for, to honor
tůsůkis - personified god
tõkkiauki - litter (lit. the borne ones)
tsġůli - skull (tsġůliska - the small skulls)
saiske - to cause, to lead to, (saskora)
sikka - to leave (alone), send back, to push back
pỉhku - , causative of pihlu, to be possible
tįenka - to diminish, make smaller
ỉ·tanta - number of members, livestock (ỉ- life, tanta < tami, maniness)
gagemima - compassion
keṡa - for (from someone, towards someone [of feelings])
keto - to look for, to search
gegna - den
tat·o·keu·i - to join something
tauri - warrior (pl. army)
seto - threat, shadow, loom
tama·kįuṡe - to infringe upon, to threaten
raibma (naraibma) - against
otįomi - to come together, to unite
nůvku - plan (nůk- to draw in sand, to make a plan, to make a strategy, to plan an attack)
tůnůksi - attack leader, planner
katakeki - to remove out of a place, to displace, to eliminate (place out)
ỉlasyvv- to propose, to show something to a group of people (show forward to)
sủrrie - sharp-toothed, tightly toothed
rỉ - tooth
(sủrka - tight, in tight rows)
tảiga ahtuttaita - take action (stand into doings)
atkanokka - wolf (tail-call)
pesamara - courageously (by being corageous, < pes-)
nikimi - the deaths
sini - probably not
saykla - to protect
oibu - to prepare, arm, weapon
tįita - only now, just now, newly
tsavmuri - thick forest
oḥia - all of a sudden
tįem- - to crawl out, appear from, to loom
saihna - inlet (poaksaihna - seal inlet)
moakįutįi - hunting territory
tatovvu - to spread somewhere

Here is the text with more of the story:
- Katakekimi tatakka da -

„Niraimaka de sahõrima-ni yvma somi raįa nenima ỏdni onta seįamuka te tamįeįetta-mi te takeutảimotta-mi, sini tįita katta katitįemutta oḥia tsavmuhkika ỉlma tosġamibma tsutta moakįutįima-uri poaksaihnaka tatanovvuma tatraka atakka tavmi.
Tamủla tei omuki atkanokkamo, ga sauvla ari ymỷla nikimi. Tảumigagga-ha tei ahtuttaita, oibumi ari pesamara saykla maskika-ha daita aḥ-atrika mosomattai sủrriedi.
Euruagga on, dotįomiṡigga katta tamakįuṡematta raibma osaykliṡigga taga.
Mega ỉlisyvvuehimi nůvkumi katakekike kimi tatrua tsamṡika-ha de:

Komo na ypalaṡi setue tatakka tỏmo te bama, tatokemu taga tautįaita-ha. Totįu on keidigga rumuma, kisvoavvatįu maįa tatraka da osmuma, ketougga ka gegnari sihiska ảlnidi ỉnka te katakekieįa on ẻg on taįa donei tõkkiauki. Iremugga on bidįis riema nuįa odegga, gagemimatta sikuvti on ba oksia me mosomattai-mo tįegmari-ha hotamattai keṡa. Kisvoavvamuįagga. Mimi on iįomu tįenkami ỉtantaka da, pỉhkaba ka savla besġimara kemỉngisa da. Mena on saibba sikka gegnahta sironukite daika įu tiebba sůskemi dįatutta eppimara eukkaime daikaįa. Hevna-ha on gatkedami bidįis tủ ruoma sironu oakibma, atatįivla įu tsġůliska saimrakita tatantůsůkihi uohke. Misa te ohủdni mikųake kimi tįita savla besġimatta saumsukihi te ủri dỉgįa da.

Taįu mes kadle sainia todattara eųoskisa belraita-ha daita, kokkora nįanka gi poskisa. Tatskaguri ỉlasyvvuttami te tatokemiguri dỉgįitaba.“
Mimi anettu ỉddįa ogika sẻhkonomutta. Tỏhnỉgi on, sipi pekohi gįekehi kỉnguilas tane. Livlu gone ỉlkỏimo, davkỏ olke ari tủ tatakka siranuttai dỉgįika. Mohkįu te ỉnka sẻhkaṡimi, eukkara iṡitủta savi megi tane.
Mekųitįu me nůirrigi tei usikkita ylymia įevti ykkydlyma, nuppaiaga ari mõskaba ůrįů daįa. Komo muhkia atsiokia on ketiasta kįamnutta nỉta somie, sę katta isaiskoi siddeki tįęvme ekkeukonsittika.
Ahha taįu on ukeuvli dįatkohma, ogia komõḥi sikuta bẻ onatsaiko. Õnska on nona de nanu-ni livlu sġaki, tonkia kade nỉtkųaddįa ṡiṡa keṡa, nodi koa maįa tohmo osġagge. Nabi ỉska migi ỉlsyvvaṡimi ontu aįi oritta geska megi te.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Re: What do you imagine this language to be like?

Post by eldin raigmore »

MONOBA wrote:The conlang is still Siwa but it's gone through some aesthetics refinements.
Wasn't that the one for foxes?

------------------------------------------------

I think what you've posted so far, and what you've posted links for so far, is very impressive.

I echo the requests for morphology, paradigms, and syntax.
Solarius
roman
roman

Post by Solarius »

I like how the various words don't have exact English equivalents.
MONOBA
greek
greek

Re: What do you imagine this language to be like?

Post by MONOBA »

eldin raigmore wrote:
MONOBA wrote:The conlang is still Siwa but it's gone through some aesthetics refinements.
Wasn't that the one for foxes?

------------------------------------------------

I think what you've posted so far, and what you've posted links for so far, is very impressive.

I echo the requests for morphology, paradigms, and syntax.
Thank you!
Siųa is what the people call themselves, which to their understanding, means "of the foxes" (genitive of the plural form sitema, an irregular of the word retema, 'fox').

I'm forever working on the phonology, morphology, etc.
MONOBA
greek
greek

Post by MONOBA »

Hey,

I just wanted to give a little update as to the development of Siųa.

For the last few weeks I've been spending unhealthy amounts of time working on the "second part" of the grammar. Everything has sort of been split into two parts from the beginning. I'm done writing the first one (phonology, noun morphology and verb morphology) and now the second part has already gotten pretty long (adjectives, adverbs, conjunctions, quantifiers, postpositions, pronouns). I have left to write anything about numerals, syntax (although most of the core syntax is scattered around the sections and becomes self-evident as one reads the examples), particles, word formation, dialects and finish the intro. Then the 3rd part of the book would be examples of texts, songs, short stories in Siųa with glossing and translation as well as IPA (possibly of the two main dialects). The final and 4th part would be the description of Siųa culture, world, technology, daily life and traditions.

So in reality, I don't have all that much written, but the 4th part is something I constantly think about, so it should come pretty naturally.
What takes the longest is definitively writing so many examples. They take a while to think of and a while to write. But they are very many.

So that's it!

Oni done! ( oni d-on-e : thus is-that-apparently.is)
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

You're a hardworking fella, aren't you :P? Makes me want to work harder.

So, how many pages is the first part?
MONOBA
greek
greek

Post by MONOBA »

First part is 166 pages or close to 60,000 words. Second part right now is 55 pages and 17,000 words.
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

...not bad, sir. Not bad.

*goes back to work*

I'll be waiting for more updates!
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

*writes seven pages of Kaynur Pitak grammar*
*cries*
YOUR SECRET
WHAT IS IT
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

MONOBA wrote:First part is 166 pages or close to 60,000 words. Second part right now is 55 pages and 17,000 words.
Link?
Can we look at it?
MONOBA
greek
greek

Post by MONOBA »

It's not corrected yet. I'm planning on printing it all out once it's done and correcting it and showing it then.
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

Is it not better to correct it first and then print?
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.