(Conlangs) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here [2010-2020]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Xing
MVP
MVP

Re: (Conlangs) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Xing »

There are at least a couple of definitions of the concept of a "vowel".

A vowel can be:

(1) A sound that is produced with an open vowel tract - that is, with no significant blocking or obstruction that prevents the air from passing freely through the mouth.

(2) A sound that is the most sonorous sound in the syllable.

Those sounds that are most typically referred to as "vowel", are vowels in both of the above senses: [y] [ɒ] [ə] [ɨ] etc.

Semivowels - [j] [w] and a few more - are vowels according to definition (1), but not according to definition (2).

Syllabic consonants - [n̩] [r̩] [s̩] etc. - are vowels according to definition (2), but not according to definition (1).

"Pure" (non-syllabic) consonants - [tʰ] [f] [sʷ] [q] etc. - are vowels in neither of the above senses.

See also this nice little chart.
mich2000
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by mich2000 »

Batrachus wrote:How can I normally (no copy-pasting and no Maor etc. keyboards) write special letters, like the macron ones? I tried Alt+number, but it only works up to 256 and first 32 are even not the same as in neither ASCII nor UTF-8.
I think this will solve your problem.
Colourless green ideas sleep furiously
Batrachus
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Batrachus »

I solved this by making myself a Greasemonkey replacing script [:)]

EDIT: very buggy and impractical script [:|]
:ces: Native
:slk: Mutually intelligibile with native language
:eng: Almost fluent
:esp: Little
:deu: Little more
:epo: Everybody can speak it!
:con: Speedlang
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

Batrachus wrote:How can I normally (no copy-pasting and no Maor etc. keyboards) write special letters, like the macron ones? I tried Alt+number, but it only works up to 256 and first 32 are even not the same as in neither ASCII nor UTF-8.
Let Fanaelesz make the Compose Key For Windows stuff.
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
hubris_incalculable
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by hubris_incalculable »

I wonder if it's possible for a general hortative mood marking to split into imperative and a sort of adhortative through merging with Japanese-style honourifics (and their opposite, whatever that may be called)?
<äʒƺçķļ>
<áéíóú>
Fanael
sinic
sinic

Post by Fanael »

Milyamd wrote:
Let Fanaelesz make the Compose Key For Windows stuff.
Ain't gonna happen in the foreseeable future, the Windows' keypress-to-character APIs are so fucked up I ain't touching 'em with a ten foot pole.
Perhaps if the PostMessage(WM_{,SYS}KEY{UP,DOWN})+TranslateMessage hack works, but I can't be bothered to test it.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

hubris_incalculable wrote:I wonder if it's possible for a general hortative mood marking to split into imperative and a sort of adhortative through merging with Japanese-style honourifics (and their opposite, whatever that may be called)?
1. What exactly do you mean?
2. Some examples of what you mean, (and also perhaps of some near-misses to tell us what you don't mean), would help us undertand the question.
3. Have you looked at http://wals.info/feature/72A, http://wals.info/feature/79B, and http://wals.info/feature/70A, (and perhaps other features near or between them), to see what natlangs do? It might be better to read the chapters than the features, though; http://wals.info/chapter/72 and http://wals.info/chapter/70, maybe also http://wals.info/chapter/79. Maybe you'd like to read all of chapters 70 through 78.

Micamo wrote:
Creyeditor wrote:Nuxalk is probably as close as you can get and Idon't remember the name of engelang/conlang that consisited only of vowels. It was labeled "crazy" by its inventor(s).
Actually, in theory anyway, the analysis of a lang without phonemic vowels doesn't depend on how many clusters the language allows or their frequency. What matters is contrast: Are there minimal pairs that differ only the presence or the quality of a vowel? If there aren't, then a case can be made that the language lacks phonemic vowels underlyingly, regardless of which vowels in which positions appear phonetically.
@Micamo, your answer convinces me, but I don't think it's to Creyeditor's point.
You talked about how a 'lang might have no phonemic vowels.
Creyeditor was talking about a 'lang that had only phonemic vowels.
Edit: If I'd read all the way through the most recent 20 posts on this thread I could have found out it started with Brawner_Williams's question which mentioned both a 'lang without and a 'lang with only vowels; and that before Creyeditor's response you'd already talked about 'langs with only vowels. Sorry. [:$]
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

hubris_incalculable wrote:I wonder if it's possible for a general hortative mood marking to split into imperative and a sort of adhortative through merging with Japanese-style honourifics (and their opposite, whatever that may be called)?
:grc: and :lat: used the Subjunctive Mood for Hortatory purposes.
It survives in :spa: today in those sorts of commands that are more like polite invitations.

E.g. Que vaya Ud. [SBJV] "You should go"
vs
Vete [IMPTV] "Scram!" "Get out!"

Because of the more invitational nature of the Subjunctive, it would lend itself to more diplomatic/honorific/humble spheres of communication.

I could see an interweaving of hortatory (subjunctives) and honorifics in a :con:.
hubris_incalculable
cuneiform
cuneiform

eldin raigmore wrote:
1. What exactly do you mean?
Does this diagram help?

Lambuzhao wrote:I could see an interweaving of hortatory (subjunctives) and honorifics in a :con:.
That was the idea.
Last edited by hubris_incalculable on 04 Mar 2013 04:42, edited 1 time in total.
<äʒƺçķļ>
<áéíóú>
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

I refer you to the precative mood.
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
hubris_incalculable
cuneiform
cuneiform

Trailsend wrote:
I refer you to the precative mood.
That works, I guess.
<äʒƺçķļ>
<áéíóú>
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

hubris_incalculable wrote:Image
To me that seems quite reasonable. But if there is no formal difference between hortative and +honorafic, no different category has to be postulated. It's just honorafic in an imperative clause.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

hubris_incalculable wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:1. What exactly do you mean?
Does this diagram help?
http://img.ie/z5r0r.png
Yes it does! Quite a bit. Thanks. [:)]
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

I got me a question about auxiliaries. If I use a verbal auxiliary for notions like "reflexive voice", "reciprocal voice" or "inchoativity" and that auxiliary comes from ordinary intransitive-transitive pairs, should I always use the transitive one or match transitivity (when applicable)?
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

MrKrov wrote:I got me a question about auxiliaries. If I use a verbal auxiliary for notions like "reflexive voice", "reciprocal voice" or "inchoativity" and that auxiliary comes from ordinary intransitive-transitive pairs, should I always use the transitive one or match transitivity (when applicable)?
That depends: Are the sources still used as regular verbs in the language? If so, use only the transitive bases as auxiliaries. If they only have auxiliary function, then match the transitivity of the main verb.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

It is the first and ok, gracias.
Fanael
sinic
sinic

Post by Fanael »

How normal is it for [?] to be an allophone of /:/?
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Fanael wrote:How normal is it for [?] to be an allophone of /:/?
What is /:/? Do you mean a long sound?

I think I wouldn't recognize if somebody once said [la?ki] instead of [lak:i] in Finnish. (Supposing ? is the glottal stop)
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Fanael
sinic
sinic

Post by Fanael »

Omzinesý wrote:What is /:/? Do you mean a long sound?
Yes.
Omzinesý wrote:Supposing ? is the glottal stop
Yes.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Sorry for the lateness in responding.

1) http://img.ie/z5r0r.png = [+1]

2) Eagerly awaiting to see how it plays out in your :con: