What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Salmoneus »

Ælfwine wrote:Outside of obvious NG languages, I am typically not a fan of eth, especially when used word initially. Idk, it is just a bit jarring and overdone.
Well, I'm terribly sorry to have pained you. I'll bear that in mind in future.

However, I think that using 'dh' in a Germanic language would just look even worse.

Besides:
a) this is a west germanic language with north germanic influence in its orthography
b) I like how it looks.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Haha I am not berating you or anything. And I agree, <dh> looks worse.

I've tried other combinations but none of them were completely satisfying. So I guess eth is a must if you are a Germlang with dental fricatives, unless you want to copy English.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I create several new languages to make the language family tree look more complete.
A more developed one is Hammyyic which is a sister-language to Vrkhazhian.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Avo
greek
greek

Post by Avo »

I keep going through pretty much all of the conlang material I amassed over the years and it's fun and surprisingly inspirational. I've also undusted Hoavi, my oldest conlang still "in operation" and actually managed to solve some problems that made me stop working on it some time back. In a weird coincidence, just after working on Hoavi for the first time in years I stumbled upon what I think is the piece of paper where I wrote down everything when the idea for Hoavi came to my mind in the first place. Apparently it'll be ten years old by this year as the notepad it is in also has some maths homework dated to 2007 in it. Crazy that this particular notepad back from school survived all the relocating and landed with me in my current appartment.

I also came up with the basic verb system for a language family I've been working on. The oldest layer of verb morphology is the differentiation between stative and non-stative verbs (gʸə- "be sitting", stative ~ gʸə-da- "sit.CAUS") where stative category is a catch-all category for verb-like roots used without any valency-increasing morphology. The different suffixes aswell as specific auxiliary verbs used with class will later be the ultimate source for different verb conjugations in the language.
A second "old" feature of the language is transitivity marking via ablaut with intransitives generally having a high and transitive verbs a low vowel (*bəl- "to go, move" but *bal- "to go somewhere"), but this was already a non-productive procss in the proto-language.

Verbs are further marked for past and non-past/progressive aswell as perfectivity. The general rule for forming perfectives used to be partial reduplication (imperfective *zˀan- ~ perfective *zˀázˀan- > *zˀāzn-) wherever possible and stack the prefix *dʷə- in front of everything else. Later the daughter languages will reanalyze certain locative prefixes on verbs as lexicalized perfectivity markers to further complicate the verb template, because why not.
Person is never marked on the verb, but noun class is. Adjectives fall into the stative verb category as they're both marked for noun class and use the same auxiliary verbs. I plan on deriving a separate adjective class from stative verb participles in a later stage of the language when the verb system is heavily restructured.

My goal was a simple but morphologically complex verb system that will erode over time and at some point collapse into something new, I think I have a solid base to work with here. And I still have plenty of time today!
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

I love reading old conlang notes! I concur, they're very inspirational. I'm quite particular about hanging on to all of my old notebooks for this reason; they're a great source of forgotten bits of conworlding lore, story ideas, names, and words I can pop into Old Tirina and age up to Modern Tirina.
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

I feel like my idea of how to pose polar questions meets a question particle AND binary choice. Minor accretions, peeps.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

alynnidalar wrote:I love reading old conlang notes! I concur, they're very inspirational. I'm quite particular about hanging on to all of my old notebooks for this reason; they're a great source of forgotten bits of conworlding lore, story ideas, names, and words I can pop into Old Tirina and age up to Modern Tirina.
Avo wrote: Crazy that this particular notepad back from school survived all the relocating and landed with me in my current appartment.

It's great to see with new eyes how great minds work, eh?

Serendepiphanamnestic, even! [:D]
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Not conlang-related, but I seldom do anything with music, so: After listening a few times to Bohemian Rhapsody during the last few days, I managed to compose something slightly reminiscent to the ballade part of the Queen song.

Not sure whether it'll be going anywhere, though...

Second accomplishment:
I devised a thorough (?) orthography for (south-western) Middle English in less than 90 minutes.
Why? Because there's stuff that would need it...
What kind of stuff? Urland-stuff I'm putting on an OE/ME surrogate as long as I don't have conlangs for it (and even then, there's stuff I'd keep potentially intelligible).
Last edited by Egerius on 17 Jan 2017 20:13, edited 1 time in total.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval »

Looking at old conlangs I tend to have mixed feelings. Sometimes I find something interesting, but many other times I find myself laughing at past me.
Over the past month I've been doing some limited conlanging, and have been working on sound changes for a language in a family I've mentioned here before (I think), Qaskan.

Copied straight from my notes:
Spoiler:
SS stands for "(in the) same syllable"

/m n/ m n
/p t k kp/ p t k q
/v s z x~ɣ~h~ɦ/ v s z h
/r/ r
/a e i o~u/ a e i o
/aj oj ja/ ai oi ia

/m n k/ > /b~m d~n g~ŋ/
/kp/ > /k/
/H/ > /ɣ/ (before /a aj o oj/ SS, after /a ja o/ SS)
/H/ > /z/ (before /ja e i/ SS, after /aj e i oj/ SS)
/ɣ/ > none (word final)
/ɣ/ > /k/ (word initial)
/i/ > /ɨ/
/O/ > /o/
/oj/ > /ø/
/e/ > /i/
/aj/ > /e/
/ja/ > /ʲe/ (palatalizes preceding alveolar: t > c, s > ʃ, z > ʒ, n~d > ɲ~ɟ)
/r/ > /ɣ/

The palatalization is written as y.
t > c, s > ʃ, z > ʒ, n~d > ɲ~ɟ

The voiced plosives are always nasal at the end of a syllable and after fricatives, and non-nasal after another nasal. Other than that, they're in free variation.

/m~b n~d ŋ~g/ m~b n~d ñ~g
/p t k/ p t k
/v s z ɣ/ v s z h
/a e i ɨ o ø/ a e i u o ö
My goal was to get enough sound changes for about 1500 years' worth of change, but I definitely haven't reached that point yet. After that, I get to start the syllabary to go with this language. Yay... [:P]
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

While I was home sick yesterday (woke up this morning feeling fine, but unfortunately the nausea has returned so I might not be 100% well yet!), I took advantage of the opportunity to do some work on Azen orthography. In-universe, it uses the same script as Tirina, although it retains use of several letters that Tirina no longer uses. (…which means I now have to design another half-dozen characters) So I came up with an etymologically-motivated spelling system and painstakingly determined the spelling for every single word in my Azen lexicon. Even with less than 500 words, this still took quite awhile!

I put up a brief overview of the orthography on CWS. My next steps will be to create and add the additional characters to the Tirina script, and to actually go through every CWS entry and add the new "standard" spelling. (right now, they're all just in an offline spreadsheet)

(And I'm still going to use my regular (phonetically-based) romanization for writing Azen in the Latin script. It's just easier to read/pronounce.)
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Verbs. They never end! Verbs!

I'm writing up a sketch of this germanic language I've been toying with. Nouns, pronouns, adjectives, adverbs, all fine, just a couple of pages to jot down the basics.

...and about 10 pages and counting on verbs. And that's even though I've been leaving syntax for another section. And even though I didn't bother working out the strong verb classes. There's just... so many tenses and aspects and modals and periphrases and copulas and...
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

I am back after another disappearance out of nowhere. Discord is taking up all of my time! Also, I'm not going to school this semester, which should give me lots of more free time. I want to actually continue work on Pazmat now. Of utmost importance now:

-Straightening out the nominal system: I want to finish up the final touches on the reworked -er stems, which as I said before are now finally in a way I want them to actually be. Also, working on the 3rd-declension nouns, namely cutting down how many classes of them I have (in all honestly, e-roots, a-roots, and o-roots are the only ones which will survive in the vocalic ones, while in the syllabics r-stems will remain distinct and n-stems and m-stems...will possibly merge into nasal-stems?)

-Deciding whether I want to introduce strong and weak conjugations for the adjectives, as they are incredibly long now. Pazmat's agglutinative nature means that when adjectives take on the same inflections as their nouns things get stupid long. As of now, only first adjective in a string agreeing with the same noun has to be fully inflected, but still. One thing I'm thinking of doing is positing that root ī-adjectives only have the -ī- added when used alone (e.g: buḥīyā "the cute one"*, but cṛsirū buḥirū "the cute girl"). LIkewise, I might have adjectives use pronomial inflection when agreeing with nouns, and in the most extreme idea I have, they use different suffixes derived from shortening the normal ones (e.g buḥrū or buḥḥū instead of buḥirū). Unlike German, however, the "full" versions may be used to add emphasis/maintain a formal tone or flair.

-Finally working on Conditionals and Counterfactuals. Christ, I started work on these more than a year ago and they're still just lying there 80%-finished. I'll have to find my notes first though...

-Deciding if I actually want to go through with having Schwebeablaut, and seeing if I want to have it be a regular process that can be predicted from a root's shape (easy to remember, but limiting), or if it's arbitrary (harder to remember, but allows me to choose depending on what I like). Also, I might want to extend Schwebeablaut to include nominal stuff as well, which can add some nice variety. Likewise, it might be nice to keep around for various other stuff, such as verbal formants and the like. Meh, I'm just rambling here. This is one of the trickiest things, because I often like both kinds of syllabic expansion in ablaut (i.e kṛy- > kriy- and kṛy- > kary- both look good. When should one happen over the other?)

-Clarifying some minor things, such as the fact that in athematic nouns/names with more than one root syllable, the first vowel is what changes during derivation (such as to make adjectives or diminutives); changing the second/later vowels is incorrect but quite common (namely from confusion that the vowel closest to the marker is what should be changed); changing all the vowels creates a super-cutesty nickname that is insulting in most contexts unless you're trying to put someone into littlespace.

-Other minor tweaks and clarifications, such as to the ablaut patterns (okay, that isn't really that minor...)

*:Speaking of, I should come up with an actual system for adjectives used on their own...
////

Once that is finished, I have another thing I want to do: I recently asked a translator on /jp/ to translate [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts-Y4Xg2Tfc]ゆけむり魂温泉 ("Steamy Soulful Hot Springs") by TAMAONSEN[/url], and he finally finished it yesterday. Now I want to translate the song into Pazmat. This is going to be quite the challenge:
Spoiler:
ゆけむり魂温泉 (Yukemuri Tamaonsen)

1/2

chika chokusou fukiagatta kanketsusen kore ha suu hyakumyou no tanki kessen
joushou suru ondo to koushin kyoudo tsuyometoru ondo
tamaonsen ichimon ai mo kitaichi mo ageru dake age makaran bitaichimon
waga michi iku senryou yakusha hora te wo narashina oni-san kochira

Underground express, geyser bursting in air, a few hundred seconds short-lived critical combat
Rising temperature and the transmitted strength of the strengthening call-song,
Tamaonsen’s creed, raising love and expectations, always rising never falling,
To our street, leading lights, star players! Everyone, clap your hands, Oni-san, this way!

tsuneni nanika o kokoromiru kao ga horobihajimeta saki no yorokobi to odoroki
otona mo tama ni kodomo ni nareru oto no otomo to tama ni kokoro beets
enkai shicha tokimekasu shikioriori warera mikado nite matsu
onsen oto no izumi tte nitoru kara goji nara kochi ga byakute ni toru

Always trying something new! Before breaking into smile, delight and astonishment!
The sound of adults who can become kids, Together with the sometimes heard heartbeats
When throwing a party, bring the pulse up! Open four seasons, we’re always here!
Hot springs, sounds spring, they’re close so mix them up and right back at ya!

wakidasu gensen yukemuri no oku awai hikari no ishitourou
wakitatsu menmen sakzuki katate ni meimei tanoshime iki youyou
oni ga deruka hebi ga deruka zujou kakageru wa yuiitsumuni no tamashi jigoku no hanashi
togabito nara damatte choudai monku ga aru nara kakatte konkai

Gushing source, in the center of the steam, the light of faint stone lanterns,
Bubbling up everywhere, sake balanced in one hand, everyone living it up, high spirits,
What’s next? Oni? Snakes? Hanging high in the air, a one-of-a-kind soul, the story of hell!
If you’re wanted, just keep quiet - got a problem? Bring it on!

donarichirasu chouryoubakko chika moguri kizuku oudou rakudo
choushou ya shisou ne hanetobashite iku yorisuguri no ongaku mo jitsuryoku shugi
yobikomi sura tenkaichi yukagen wa ijidemo sagenai genkaichi!
shoujikimono janai to nangi - me ni monomiseru wa kairyokuranshin!

Ranting, raving, rampant domination - dive underground, pile up, royal paradise!
Scornful or bitter smiles, send them flying! The finest music is chosen through true ability!
Hawking? I’m the best there is! Water temperature’s at it’s limit - we won’t drop it for anything!
Those who aren’t honest only suffer - I’ll show you the power of the supernatural!

nagabanashi sura o hanabanashiku
tsurezurenaru mama no hibi ni shigeki idoru wa tamashii
gosenfu no ue tashikani yadoru rakuen no hate miwatashita miyako saa
odore ya sawage nomeya utaeya o-te o haishaku

Long and flowing conversations are magnificent,
A soul that pours some stimulating color into boring everyday lives,
Living above the musical score, a capital that sees paradise to the horizon, now -
Dance and live it up~ (Drink! Sing! Take my hand!)

chijou kara to chigau keshiki misete ageru yo
kokoro made tsukaru nara tamaonsen dare demo tsurete oide
chika fukaku kara mitasu oto o waketeageru yo
sawagasha tenka musou no tamaonsen
ii toko-sa, ichido wa oide

I’ll show you a scenery you can’t find on the surface -
The Tamaonsen that warms you to your heart - Bring anyone you like!
The sound that wells deep from underground, I’ll pour you some
No noisier place on earth than Tamaonsen!
It’s a great place, so come on by!

(cont.)

Anonymous 01/21/17(Sat)17:15:44 No.16448795>>16448834 >>16448842 (You)

>>16448784
2/2

en mo takenawa warau nara madamada kore kara
ichigensan! jourensan! nagasu oto ga kochira no meisan!
suwatta me de meitei shou mo naku mawaru sake ni jousho aru ba
tooku ni tokkuri wa kara shibuki ga kakaru sokkuri sono mama

Party’s in full swing - If you want to laugh, we’re just getting started!
Newcomers! Regulars! The flowing sound’s our local specialty!
Eyes glassy with drunkenness, sake circulating ridiculously, a place feel of feeling,
Sake bottle’s long empty, splashing about, yeah, just like that!

mokuteki nado naku hima tsubushi demo kidukeba itsushika shitatsuzumi
tanoshimu fuzei koyoi wa bureikou te-nimotsu sutete oide
tomaran kyakuashi, kyakukanshi yomaigoto kyakkashite kirei sappari
dousurebaii? dai-teitoku! bokura ni makasereba taitei toku!

Nothing like a point to this, just killing time, but before you know it you’re digging in -
A lively atmosphere, forget rank tonight, leave your baggage at the door!
Customers won’t stop, reject objective nonsense - totally refreshed!
“Hey, what should we do, major general!?” Leave it to me and I’ll make it major in general! [2]

araburu kyou mo mata sugu koudou doppuri tsukareba arayuru kounou
atatamaru oto ni sake tsukero otoshimae kyakujin demo odoridase
yukemuri no mukou ni wa kanji sanmoji toujiba no toori-na
doushita tte doujinai tsuyoi toushika no tsudoi kimitachi ga toujisha

Today’s out of control, once more around, soak yourself through and it’s that one effect,
Heartwarming sound into the sake, settles all disputes, Customers, you dance, too!
Facing us through the steam was the three-character name of the bathhouse,
A meeting for investors who won’t back down from anything, yeah, you’re the parties!

kidukai iranai tada tada atatakai gensoutekina tatazumai (aa)
hara kara warai hana kara mitara yopparai demo gara wa karamanai
oto no izumi ga konkon to waku ukiyo kara hanarete konton mo nakunaru
kono onsen ha moshiya meitou? kimira wa sasshi ga ii na! gomeitou!

No need to be delicate here, everything here’s got a warm and wondrous appearance - (ah)
Laughing from your belly, drunk from tip to toes, but your tongue doesn’t tie up,
The spring of sound’s in a rolling boil, reject this transient world and you lose the mayhem too,
“Any chance, this onsen’s a landmark?” “You’re all pretty sharp, huh! Full marks!” [3]

me o mezashi rakuen o sagashi
yumeyume wasureru koto nakare samayou wa tamashii
onibi tazusaekitta sentou ichi moji kawareba mishitta sentou maa
sore mo yoki kana? oto no izumi warera ga tamaonsen

Open your eyes, search for paradise
Nothing should be truly forgotten, lost is the soul -
Seizing and cutting spirit fire in the vanguard - switch one character and you get the bathhouse
That’s fine too, isn’t it? The spring of sound, our Tamaonsen!

※ REPEAT CHORUS

subete ni imi ga aru shinshouhin iu naraba kannushi e no shinkoushin
higashi e hikkoshi danmaku no mukou mite mata kikeba wakaru shin-kyouchi
sukasazu misukasu akunin seibai juunin no uta
kogoto ha ii-shousetsu de sumasu hattokeyo waremono chuui no fuda

Meaning to each and every one of the new products, If you say it, you’re showing your piety towards the head priest,
Move to the east, Face the danmaku, look and listen and you’ll understand a new world,
Seeing through duplicity in an instant, punishing the wicked, the resident’s song,
Chiding’s over in one measure, “Caution: Fragile” signs put up,

miyako no oni mo renjitsu sawagu atamakkara abiru senshitsu wa kakubetsu
nietagitta shakunetsu no jigoku-gama no soko ni wa menshitsuna sakusen
tarime-yo odoranya son tte-na maido no netsuryou bukkoware seinou
enkai ja shuushi dokudanjou kata de kazekiru kyuujigoku kaidou

The capital’s oni live it up day after day, the feeling of quality water over your head can’t be beat,
At the bottom of the blazing boil of hell’s incandescent kettle is a detailed strategy,
Isn’t it obvious! “All fools, so dance!” The power to break through the heat total every time!
The party was our field of total domination from the start, swagger about on the streets of Old Hell!

※ REPEAT CHORUS
...yeah. I might have gotten in over my head here.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

- Talked to myself in Wena for quite a bit while walking on the street ... discovered that I do really like the sound of Wena and find it nice to pronounce, so well-done, me, for knowing my own taste.
- Realised that I'm much better at finding Wena words in my brain than recognising them when I see them written (makes sense as I'm the only user).
- Came up with a one syllable word for "substance" and a one syllable genitive form for it, which is super useful and I've felt the lack of it quite a bit recently. Came up with a lot of fun uses for substance.
- Worked out how to express "like to do/be/doing/being" more elegantly than I was previously doing.
- After working that out, had my brain, for basically no reason, come out with the sentence Na i ze ba hwale monggo meaning "I don't really like to eat stick" (I'm sure you can figure out what that's a euphemism for) and then actually start quietly laughing to myself in public ... crossing a new threshold of odd. (Not laughing in public but laughing at something my brain kind of spontaneously came up with - laughing because my brain just teased me about pretty touchy issues of mine in my conlang. Like, this is pretty much the least relatable reason for just laughing on the street.)
- Came up with words for "a particular X" (specific) versus "any old X" (non-specific), for both plural and singular. My last conlang had these as obligatory grammatical categories for anything indefinite and this one doesn't but I couldn't figure out a way to express it if needed until today.
- Came up with three words today which use reduplication, which I think adds to the character of the language.
- Solidified in my mind how to say "before X", "after X" in a way that fits the language
- Procrastinated like a boss ... hence this post.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

You got a lot done! For Wena, anyway. [;)]
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

I wrote an oath for magicians in my new conworld, in South-Western Middle English (which I deem partly intelligible with PDE, save for archaic vocabulary [}:D] ).
I prepared a diplomatic edition, a ‘normal’ edition (without most fancy letters), a German translation and an IPA transcription is in the works.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Last night I reintroduced /z/ along with intervocalic geminate /l/ in Híí and toyed with word forms such as hístsıwıréíllwe’eh and héreızzwenó’ohtso. I rejected this idea again about an hour later. So you could either say I accomplished nothing or something.
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

It was a couple of days ago, but I put together a blog post on day length.

I feel so weird, posting about doing astronomy math here instead of all of the conlanging going on.
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

After a long and dreadful semester i got vacations and thus conlanging. Yesterday i did considerable work in the semantic drift between Proto-Gigxkpoyan and Däldlen, which was what allowed me to coin that name, and started to describe its phonology, which is quite interesting and differs considerably from its documented sisters (Retla, Tlapthuv, etc.), namely by having a considerable lot of syllabic consonants, which can be pretty much everything except liquids.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

DesEsseintes wrote:Last night I reintroduced /z/ along with intervocalic geminate /l/ in Híí and toyed with word forms such as hístsıwıréíllwe’eh and héreızzwenó’ohtso. I rejected this idea again about an hour later. So you could either say I accomplished nothing or something.
Of course it's something! Saying you did nothing is like saying that digging a hole and filling it in again is equivalent to not digging the hole in the first place, when it clearly isn't (You expended much energy digging, the ground you put back in will be disturbed compared to the surrounding ground etc.)
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

May have finished questions; not long now before the first draft of this sketch is finished. Except that then I want to reconsider all of the diachronics (not much!), and the orthography, probably including writing up SCA rules. So... still a little way to go.

But for now: flioch an macaaca was, upbrǫka fa minn coppa? - "which monkey was it who broke my cup?". "Monkey" can here be assumed to be a (quite rude) insulting term for a person. A genuine inquiry regarding simians would probably use the more formal flioch an macaaca macht minn coppa upbreaka? - "which monkey might have broken my cup?"