What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Ahzoh »

elemtilas wrote:Okay. Kinda figured that it represents "expansion"... From where to where? Where's the urheimat? Does it coincide with political expansion?

The fun of unlabelled maps!

And I agree it's not too widespread. After all, IE spread from the Europe-SWAsia-India region to world dominance inside of 500 years.
The purple represents the Urheimat. That's where the Haxyakikan languages originate from; that little peninsula. I followed the colour scheme of this map:
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1378932/thumb ... cebook.jpg

It just looks like it's spanning the area of 4 or more Russias.

Relatedly, I don't know how to measure surface area on my map.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Ahzoh wrote:
elemtilas wrote:Okay. Kinda figured that it represents "expansion"... From where to where? Where's the urheimat? Does it coincide with political expansion?

The fun of unlabelled maps!

And I agree it's not too widespread. After all, IE spread from the Europe-SWAsia-India region to world dominance inside of 500 years.
The purple represents the Urheimat. That's where the Haxyakikan languages originate from; that little peninsula. I followed the colour scheme of this map:
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1378932/thumb ... cebook.jpg

It just looks like it's spanning the area of 4 or more Russias.

Relatedly, I don't know how to measure surface area on my map.
Four Russias! Wow!

[xD]

So, roughly purple --> dark orange --> light orange?

As for finding the surface area, you'd need a planimeter. High quality devices are expensive, but there are digital planimeters available relatively cheap. There are also downloads available that you might be able to use with your map image, given that you know the dimensions of your planet and how much of that is taken up by your map.

Alternatively, you could estimate by making a proper grid for the map, determining the grid area for all given latitudes and estimating for regions of sea / land and doing the maths manually. [O.O] You could also make a rough estimation of percentage of whole map taken up by water and subtracting that from the whole.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Actually, it's more the entirety of North America and the bottom of Africa.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Ahzoh wrote:Actually, it's more the entirety of North America and the bottom of Africa.
That actually makes things simpler: just sum up the land areas of the African countries involved and add that to the total land area of NA!
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

Per usual, I mostly did lexical work, but unusually was rather productive at it. Came up with a rendaku-like process, threw in some derivational affixes, a few easter eggs, predicate syntax. Kinda not today but complementizer syntax was also worked on.
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Finished the basics of Proto-Hesperic morphology. Of course, this is still a draft and may be revised later.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

WeepingElf wrote:Finished the basics of Proto-Hesperic morphology. Of course, this is still a draft and may be revised later.
¡Regocíjate!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-1W2POb34E

Round and round and round until we pick it up again.
[;)]
Void
sinic
sinic

Post by Void »

I've begun working on a Hieratic conlang for my conworld. I actually decided to work on a proto-lexicon simultaneously, and I've gotten some great results and interesting etymologies.

For example, consider these words:

darváz [ˈdɑrʋɑ:s] - silver (from Old Yrmir *darvāzë)
darvázak [ˈdɑrʋɑ:zɑk] - ring (from Old Yrmir *darvāzkë, reanalysed as darváz "silver" + -k nominalising suffix)
darvár [ˈdɑrʋɑːr] - chainmail, armour (from Old Yrmir *darvārë (< PY *darwārų from *darwā "ring?" + *-rų unknown suffix))
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Konungr wrote:Hieratic conlang
Do you mean by that name some sort of holy/priestly/religious tongue?
Interesting!
:wat:
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

elemtilas wrote:
Ahzoh wrote: It just looks like it's spanning the area of 4 or more Russias.
Four Russias! Wow!
[xD]
I am Kubla Kraus, Tzar of 4 or more Russias!
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 37e1f2.jpg

[}:D]
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Lambuzhao wrote:
WeepingElf wrote:Finished the basics of Proto-Hesperic morphology. Of course, this is still a draft and may be revised later.
¡Regocíjate!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-1W2POb34E

Round and round and round until we pick it up again.
[;)]
Thank you! Yes is my favourite band, the music could not have been chosen better.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Void
sinic
sinic

Post by Void »

Lambuzhao wrote:
Konungr wrote:Hieratic conlang
Do you mean by that name some sort of holy/priestly/religious tongue?
Interesting!
:wat:
Yea, something like that. A holy language for some pseudo-Warhammer 40K Eurasian empire.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

I created two versions of the UDHR in different dialects of Learran:
Macedonian Learran: Tutu esări umăni našăn libări e užali in dimnătat e dreafši. Si deamnăn aucu rašon i cošenza ju năvăljireăn a fašăr a unu u autreasu in spiritul de braštu.
Vojvodinan Learran: Tutu esiri umini naţin libiri e ugvali in dimnatát i dreafţi. Si deamnan ócu raţőn i kosenzsa ö nivalyárőn a faţír a unu u jutreasu in spiritu de fraternitáț
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

I made some changes to Shonkasika.

I changed the case endings for the vocative case for animate nouns, and then the nominative, vocative, and accusative cases for inanimate nouns.
animate
Spoiler:
inanimate
Spoiler:
I split the personal endings to four sets based on whether the tense is past vs. non-past and whether the voice is active vs. mediopassive.
Spoiler:
Finally, I created an aorist suffix to form two new verb tenses: the aorist and the past habitual.
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

felipesnark wrote:I made some changes to Shonkasika.
I changed the case endings for the vocative case for animate nouns, and then the nominative, vocative, and accusative cases for inanimate nouns.
inanimate
Spoiler:
Why do inanimate nouns need a vocative case at all?
How often do your con-speakers call or address inanimates?
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

eldin raigmore wrote:
inanimate
Spoiler:
I wouldn't expect it to be used very often with inanimates, but I could see there being a historical explanation due to some con-religions. By saying 'animate' nouns and 'inanimate' nouns, I'm simplifying a bit. Shonkasika has six genders, three of which are "animate" and three of which are "inanimate". The three animate genders generally have sentient beings, most animals (generally those perceived to move), and some natural phenomena. The three inanimate genders generally include everything else, including things that alive, but sessile.
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

eldin raigmore wrote:
inanimate
Spoiler:
O finger, I entreat thee not to repeat that vulgar gesture!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

felipesnark wrote:I wouldn't expect it to be used very often with inanimates, but I could see there being a historical explanation due to some con-religions. By saying 'animate' nouns and 'inanimate' nouns, I'm simplifying a bit. Shonkasika has six genders, three of which are "animate" and three of which are "inanimate". The three animate genders generally have sentient beings, most animals (generally those perceived to move), and some natural phenomena. The three inanimate genders generally include everything else, including things that alive, but sessile.
If something can't hear or otherwise sense what the speaker says, and/or cannot respond or otherwise react to the utterance, there's no practical point in addressing it.
If it can't come when called, nor even perk up its ears and pay attention, there's no practical point in calling it.

People do address inanimate things, and even abstractions, as poetic or rhetorical devices. (Like DesEsseintes' example. Or Ogden Nash's "O Duty!")
But I don't see why a gender of things that can't see or can't hear or can't move -- at least can't move fast enough for a human to see it in a few seconds or less -- needs a vocative case different from some other case.

In fact I think a case could be made that they might easily be "accusative-only", the way some nouns (e.g. scissors and pants) are "plural-only" and some verbs are "middle-voice-only".
Inanimate things are unlikely to be agents. They're also unlikely to be recipients.
There might be a good reason for them to have a genitive, though.
Maybe their unmarked tense applies when they are intransitive subjects and also when they are transitive patients/objects.

------------------

I'm not trying to talk you out of it. I'm only saying you'll probably want to (eventually) explain it in your grammar of your conlang.
Every case, as far as I know, has more than one use, that is, more than one meaning.
"Vocative" might mean other things besides "the thing this noun refers to is being addressed or called".
If the noun refers to something which can't obey commands, can't answer questions, can't come or go, and so on; maybe the other meaning(s) of "vocative" matter more when that noun is inflected into the "vocative" case.
If so; IMO you'll want to explain. (Someday.)
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Or cursing at things you bump into at night - "#$%&@! coffee-table!"
In fact I think a case could be made that they might easily be "accusative-only", the way some nouns (e.g. scissors and pants) are "plural-only" and some verbs are "middle-voice-only".
Inanimate things are unlikely to be agents. They're also unlikely to be recipients.
There might be a good reason for them to have a genitive, though.
Maybe their unmarked tense applies when they are intransitive subjects and also when they are transitive patients/objects.

I cannot speak for all langs, but, regarding the IE langs, it looks like the Greeks and Romans, at the very least, thought so. Their neuter nouns have the same form for NOM ACC and VOC. feminine abstract/inanimate nouns have the same NOM/VOC forms. Of course, the rub is non-neuter 2nd declension nouns like gladius (m) 'sword' and any one of the 80 or so feminine 2nd declension nouns like amygdalus 'almond tree'.

I am not sure if this also occurs in Sanskrit, Hittite, Lithuanian, Tocharian, or any of the other IE langs.
the way some nouns (e.g. scissors and pants) are "plural-only" and some verbs are "middle-voice-only".
In Ancient :grc: and :lat:, especially in poetry, one can treat neuter plural nouns in the subject as a singular collective unit and use a singular verb. Neuter plural subjects did not trigger a singular verb always and everywhere, but it did occur. Also, it is possible that :lat: adopted it from :grc: as a stylistic convention, rather than an autochthonous phenomenon.

http://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-foru ... =3&t=10142

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... ction%3D69

https://linguistlist.org/issues/6/6-59.html

http://aoal.org/Greek/ntgreekb/lesson04.html
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

As of this evening, the annual Géarthnuns lexicon audit is officially over. A counting by hand of entries just to keep the entry-count honest (and often involves a tweaking in the plus column), which also provides an opportunity to correct spelling and collation mistakes if one stumbles upon them. In years past, the whole thing could be done in a day, a day and a half, tops. This year, it took two weeks just to keep me from shoving a Luger into my mouth. Why, you might ask, would one engage in an activity so fruitless from which one derives so little pleasure? Well, there is something therapeutic in the counting -- and there's the serendipitous editing of typos, so there's some anal-retentive pleasure there. Too, this year's count reveals that my margin of error in record-keeping has been impressively low, so happy me! [:D]

Alas, as these are Word documents and/or I'm a technospaz, I don't know how else to keep track. But as the lexicon count increases, both English-Géarthnuns and Géarthnuns-English, the audit will become ever more absurd, mattering to no one else but me. I guess I should just let it go and let the margin of error do as it will.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名