What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by DesEsseintes »

Iyionaku wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:My TLFKAT code is yielding long diphthongs in some derived stems, with forms such as keewtł yoowtł deriving from underlying /k<aj>awətł ja<wa>wətł/. This was entirely unplanned and unanticipated, and therefore deeply satisfying.

And yes, it's totally keewł too. [B)]
You mean it's totally keewtł? [:P]
I can tell we understand each other perfectly. :mrgreen:

As a further achievement, I've made a sketch of which aspectual categories get prefixed, which get infixed, and which get suffixed in the TLFKAT verb template.
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

I've been struggling with lenitation of some consonants in some verb forms in Bsarkus.
Now I saw that's the same environment Werner's law affects in Germanic, at the end of the verb stem of the past tense.
Werner's law doesn't create new consonants though.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

I came back from holiday and decided to completely overhaul my a-posteriori Algonquian language project; I posted the phonology and a bit of metahistory on my conlang tumblr.

----
DesEsseintes wrote:As a further achievement, I've made a sketch of which aspectual categories get prefixed, which get infixed, and which get suffixed in the TLFKAT verb template.
[:P] sounds delicious! I haven't been so heavy on the aspect as of late: I've been marking perfectives and sometimes progressives but not much else. I should put more of them into my next conlang.
bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

felipesnark wrote:
Many languages that are nom-acc and have cases would put both arguments in the nominative, so I think that's fine. That's what I do with Shonkasika, which is also a nom-acc language with cases.

Your language looks interesting by the way. Where can I see more?
Thank you! Here are a few links where I have published my work:

Lortho on Linguifex
Lortho on FrathWiki
Lortho on ConWorkShop
https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

bbbourq wrote:Thank you! Here are a few links where I have published my work:

Lortho on Linguifex
Lortho on FrathWiki
Lortho on ConWorkShop
Just looking at the Frath-Wiki page I can say that's actually a pretty decent writing sytem, and it doesn't fall into many of the traps many conscripts fall into.

I'm also intrigued by that phoneme inventory: is the similarity of the stop system to Tariana intentional? You could probably do with putting more explanation into your phonotactics: where can the geminate nasals appear? Do the aspirated consonants contrast in the coda? What evidence do you have for considering them as independent phonemes and not clusters? Questions like these aren't answered by simply giving the syllable structure as (C)V(V)(C). Additionally, with an inventory like that I'd expect some interesting morphophonology to go with it, but I see no processes described.

Other than that I do like the look of this, though it would be helpful if you stold us what the different verb suffixes in the table actually mean.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Playing around with old TLFKAT morfofo, translating it into the new phonology:

łayaałp + tsastł → łayàwłttsastł
rawááłk + tłaatn → rawàyłttłaatn
nvnóółk + tsastł → nvnòyłttsastł

I think these are verb+verb compound stems.
bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

Frislander wrote: Just looking at the Frath-Wiki page I can say that's actually a pretty decent writing sytem, and it doesn't fall into many of the traps many conscripts fall into.
Thank you very much! I wanted to make a realistic script that is aesthetically pleasing as well as practical for the language it is intended.
I'm also intrigued by that phoneme inventory: is the similarity of the stop system to Tariana intentional?
How interesting. Much of the inspiration for this language came from Hindi, Persian, with a dash of Korean - not any South American language, let alone Tariana.
You could probably do with putting more explanation into your phonotactics: where can the geminate nasals appear? Do the aspirated consonants contrast in the coda? What evidence do you have for considering them as independent phonemes and not clusters? Questions like these aren't answered by simply giving the syllable structure as (C)V(V)(C). Additionally, with an inventory like that I'd expect some interesting morphophonology to go with it, but I see no processes described.
As far as my phonotactics I will be bluntly honest: I have no idea what to do. Your questions about them actually answered one of my own questions: "What the heck is phonotactics and how do I go about talking about them?" I'm still relatively new to linguistics and I want to learn as much of it as best I can to make this language something that looks and feels natural. Your questions alone gave me some substance to use to conduct my research.
Other than that I do like the look of this, though it would be helpful if you told us what the different verb suffixes in the table actually mean.
Fair enough. Much research and writing will ensue. Thank you very much for your valuable input.

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

@ bbourq -

I agree about your Frathwiki - nice work. Just a couple of observations:

In your verb conjugations, best to write out all the forms, rather than hyphen endings. Your conjugational rules seem pretty clear, still, it's good to show all fully conjugated forms in a paradigm.

Same goes for noun prefixes etc. A paradigm with them actually affixed can go light-years past guesswork for a potential learner.

Keep on keepin' on!

[;)]
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

bbbourq wrote:
I'm also intrigued by that phoneme inventory: is the similarity of the stop system to Tariana intentional?
How interesting. Much of the inspiration for this language came from Hindi, Persian, with a dash of Korean - not any South American language, let alone Tariana.

Ha ha; you'll have this for sure.

When I first heard speakers of Awajún in :per:, they sounded to me like they were speaking some sort of really nasal SE Asian language, somewhere not far from Vietnam or Cambodia.
Go figure.

And Brazilian Portuguese, when I hear it and don't pay attention to it, sounds to me like my old cousins speaking Polish, more than a Romance lang.
That's a combo of the nasality, chuinante-overload. The Brazilian Portuguese sing-songy pitchiness (versus the more monotone :per: Spanish delivery) was also off-throwing.
Not off-putting, mind you; just off-throwing.
[;)]
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I have started working on a conlang heavily based off of the Thai language, although i changed up the phonology a bit. I have also further worked out vowel mutations for Qǒseně.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

Lambuzhao wrote:@ bbourq -

I agree about your Frathwiki - nice work. Just a couple of observations:

In your verb conjugations, best to write out all the forms, rather than hyphen endings. Your conjugational rules seem pretty clear, still, it's good to show all fully conjugated forms in a paradigm.

Same goes for noun prefixes etc. A paradigm with them actually affixed can go light-years past guesswork for a potential learner.

Keep on keepin' on!

[;)]
Duly noted. I will clean it up to show my conjugations and cases in motion. Thank you for the input! I'm always looking for improvement.

kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

I unpacked one box to add some stray art supplies and stumbled across a thing I didn't expect to see again until I got to Chicago:
Spoiler:
It was my old Alál notebook. "Excellent!" I thought. "It's been far too long since I worked on this conlang. Oh, how I look forward to re-familiarizing myself with the grammar, via my carefully-constructed and well-organized notes!" I then opened the notebook.
Spoiler:
Ah. Yes. Right. I'd forgotten how very well-organized my notes were.
Spoiler:
Tarà.
[t̪ɜˈɾà]
tu<a>r-à
dirt<1>-MOM.TEL
Crap.
[xP]
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Frislander wrote:I'm also intrigued by that phoneme inventory: is the similarity of the stop system to Tariana intentional?
I see Tariana has a huge vowel system!

It's Tariana Grande!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Khemehekis wrote:I see Tariana has a huge vowel system!

It's Tariana Grande!
[xD] Not bad!

After a recent discussion in the L&N Questions thread, I was like "fuck it, I'll maintain Paatherye's collective plural". No dual in this language, therefore.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Iyionaku wrote: Paatherye's collective plural". No dual in this language, therefore.
Does it have a distributive plural too?
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Iyionaku wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:I see Tariana has a huge vowel system!

It's Tariana Grande!
[xD] Not bad!

After a recent discussion in the L&N Questions thread, I was like "fuck it, I'll maintain Paatherye's collective plural". No dual in this language, therefore.
Glossopoesy by fiat fuckit. Powerful.
[xP]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Lambuzhao wrote:Glossopoesy by fiat fuckit. Powerful.
[xP]
Deep, and really, ìs there any other way??
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

I seem to be reinventing Navajo - again - with TLFKAT. Oh, well...

Here are two very common verb stem sets (shortened forms on the right) :

Root: *tvw

tuu → tu
tšuu → tšu
teyw → teyw
taaw → taw

Root: *n

nvvn → nvn
nii → ni
ney → ney
naan → nan

I'm hoping to start posting something more substantial soon.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Today I was browsing through the forum in order to find something when I stumbled upon something very interesting. The Yélian word for compass, fotó, is not the result of a bad joke around English photo or German Foto as I assumed (there are some bad jokes in the vocabulary of Yélian, though), but indeed a loanword from Geárthnuns mnéfötöitels!
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Iyionaku wrote:The Yélian word for compass, fotó, is ... a loanword from Geárthnuns mnéfötöitels!
[:)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名