What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by gestaltist »

Ahzoh wrote:*sigh* Though my map still looks topgraphically bare compared to that map of the Earth I reference. It seems that most of the Earth is either at sea level or above 500m.
You're fine, most of Russia and Central Europe is below 500m. Unless you don't like it in which case just add an igneous province somewhere.
Click
runic
runic

Post by Click »

@kiwikami: I love your work! [:D]

@gestaltist: Glad to see you back!

I have started writing about the place where two of my languages are spoken. This falls under worldbuilding rather than making languages, but I thought it was worth posting here. There's only basic historical stuff as of now, but I hope to start writing about culture soon.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Ahzoh wrote:*sigh* Though my map still looks topgraphically bare compared to that map of the Earth I reference. It seems that most of the Earth is either at sea level or above 500m.
It's fine I guess. Just keep in mind that large, flat areas usually facilitate the spread of only few languages and deteriorate the change for smaller languages to survive.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Iyionaku wrote:
It's fine I guess. Just keep in mind that large, flat areas usually facilitate the spread of only few languages and deteriorate the change for smaller languages to survive.
Eh? You're saying there will be less languages and they'll change slower?
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I coined some new words/characters late last night early this AM. they are related in structure: one is for the verb "to sleep" and the other is for the noun "night, darkness." The second character, when it is used with a different classifier, takes on the meaning of "fear" instead. I like the idea of characters having different but somewhat related meanings based on classifier, or something similar. Also, most characters serve double duty as both nouns and verbs and depend on context.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Ahzoh wrote:
Iyionaku wrote:
That latter is a typo, it clearly should be "chance", but for the first point yes, since flatter topography encourages mobility and nomadism, both of which result in a lower population density and hence fewer languages.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Exactly, it should be "chance" like Frislander said. Sorry for creating confusion.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Frislander wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
Iyionaku wrote:
That latter is a typo, it clearly should be "chance", but for the first point yes, since flatter topography encourages mobility and nomadism, both of which result in a lower population density and hence fewer languages.
Well all the areas indicated as grayish-brownish are not quite a flat plain as there is still potentially 300m of difference in elevation.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Fluffy8x
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Fluffy8x »

Fontifying a script for Lek-Tsaro. These are consonant pairs, and most of them were auto-generated by a script.

Right now, I'm having trouble with vowel diacritics. Not only are there a whopping 143 of them, but LibreOffice seems to clip them. I changed the ascender height from 800 to 1000 to adjust and put the diacritic in the y=800 to 1000 range, but that was to no avail.

If it helps, I'm using FontForge. If any of you want to help, I can send the .sfd file.

Edit: derp, turns out I had a copy of the font in both ~/.local/share/fonts and /usr/share/fonts. I was using a command to copy the .otf files into the latter location, but LibreOffice was reading from the former.
The creator of ŋarâþ crîþ v9.
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:I coined some new words/characters late last night early this AM. they are related in structure: one is for the verb "to sleep"
Does coining sleep work better than counting sheeps...
Last edited by lsd on 24 Oct 2017 07:20, edited 1 time in total.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Huh!?
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

I figured out the Silvish word for "hot", which turns out to be hòt /ˈhɔt/. [:P] It has other forms, but if you want to say a man is feverish, sexy or horny, that's the one you should go with.
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

Dormouse559 wrote:I figured out the Silvish word for "hot", which turns out to be hòt /ˈhɔt/. [:P] It has other forms, but if you want to say a man is feverish, sexy or horny, that's the one you should go with.
Oooh, what's the etymology for that if I may ask? [:D]
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :chn:, :tur:, :fra:

Zhér·dûn a tonal Germanic conlang

old stuff: Цiски | Noattȯč | Tungōnis Vīdīnōs
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

ixals wrote:Oooh, what's the etymology for that if I may ask? [:D]
Latin calidus, as it happens, which is part of what surprised me.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Dormouse559 wrote:
ixals wrote:Oooh, what's the etymology for that if I may ask? [:D]
Latin calidus, as it happens, which is part of what surprised me.
I am curious how you got "hòt" from that.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

Ælfwine wrote:I am curious how you got "hòt" from that.
I bet it's "'ka.li.dum > 'kʰaɫ.do > 'xawt > 'hɔt".

Is Silvish #k > h a regularly change? It's definitely a new one, I don't remember seeing it before. But "hòt" sounds very unique though!
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :chn:, :tur:, :fra:

Zhér·dûn a tonal Germanic conlang

old stuff: Цiски | Noattȯč | Tungōnis Vīdīnōs
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

ixals wrote:
Not quite. This form comes from the nominative masculine singular.
ixals wrote:Is Silvish #k > h a regularly change? It's definitely a new one, I don't remember seeing it before. But "hòt" sounds very unique though!
There is a regular change, but it's k > h / _a. It corresponds to French k > ʃ / _a. The result of the change is new, but it's been there in some form for a while. I'll unpack it below.

The sound changes go something like this (starting from Vulgar Latin). The exact order might end up being a little different, but the result should be the same.

ˈkaldos > ˈkalts > ˈtɕalts > ˈtɕalt > ˈɕalt > ˈɕawt > ˈɕɔt > ˈhɔt
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Dormouse559 wrote:
ixals wrote:
Not quite. This form comes from the nominative masculine singular.
ixals wrote:Is Silvish #k > h a regularly change? It's definitely a new one, I don't remember seeing it before. But "hòt" sounds very unique though!
There is a regular change, but it's k > h / _a. It corresponds to French k > ʃ / _a. The result of the change is new, but it's been there in some form for a while. I'll unpack it below.

The sound changes go something like this (starting from Vulgar Latin). The exact order might end up being a little different, but the result should be the same.

ˈkaldos > ˈkalts > ˈtɕalts > ˈtɕalt > ˈɕalt > ˈɕawt > ˈɕɔt > ˈhɔt
Would never have guessed.

Is this word normally derived from the nominative? I have [cç] where you have [h] it seems. (This word appears to be "tyalc" in my Pannonian Romance.)
My Blog

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Ælfwine wrote:Is this word normally derived from the nominative?
Hmm, I'm not sure if you're asking about Silvish or Romance languages generally. Well, in Silvish most inherited adjectives derive their forms from the nominative, accusative and dative. In modern Romance languages, the word form comes from the accusative, but looking back, Old French and Old Provençal maintained the Latin nominative alongside the accusative.
Ælfwine wrote:I have [cç] where you have [h] it seems. (This word appears to be "tyalc" in my Pannonian Romance.)
Ah, okay. What does the <c> represent?
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Dormouse559 wrote:Hmm, I'm not sure if you're asking about Silvish or Romance languages generally. Well, in Silvish most inherited adjectives derive their forms from the nominative, accusative and dative.
All three? Interesting.
Dormouse559 wrote:In modern Romance languages, the word form comes from the accusative, but looking back, Old French and Old Provençal maintained the Latin nominative alongside the accusative.
Okay, good to know. Then I guess my form shouldn't be tyalc but tyald [ˈcaɫd].
Dormouse559 wrote:Ah, okay. What does the <c> represent?
It is [t͡s] like in many Slavic languages, and Hungarian.
My Blog