What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by elemtilas »

J Reggie wrote: 06 Dec 2018 22:07 This isn't really something I accomplished so much as something I found out, but i just learned that my grandpa and his college roommate created an international auxlang (probably back in the 40s or 50s). I'm really excited to look over the notes he's lending me!
[>_<] [O.O]

Wow, now that's cool news!

Serious request: if it looks at all like a "serious" (thoughtful, maybe scholarly) attempt at an IAL, please gather all the notes and resources and present it at the Language Creation Conference next year! It's not often a vintage invented language is discovered in the wild.

It should also be preserved in some way: consider making a home for it at Frath Wiki.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

elemtilas wrote: 07 Dec 2018 04:00
J Reggie wrote: 06 Dec 2018 22:07 ... my grandpa and his college roommate created an international auxlang (probably back in the 40s or 50s). ...
Serious request: if it looks at all like a "serious" (thoughtful, maybe scholarly) attempt at an IAL, please gather all the notes and resources and present it at the Language Creation Conference next year! It's not often a vintage invented language is discovered in the wild.
It should also be preserved in some way: consider making a home for it at Frath Wiki.
[+1]
WHS.

Any chance your grandfather is still in touch with his former roommate?
J Reggie
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by J Reggie »

eldin raigmore wrote: 07 Dec 2018 04:59
J Reggie wrote: 06 Dec 2018 22:07 ... my grandpa and his college roommate created an international auxlang (probably back in the 40s or 50s). ...
[+1]
WHS.

Unfortunately, he lost touch with him after about 15 years. We're actually going to try to track him down, but no idea how that will go. And yeah, once I get all the notes scanned in, I'm definitely going to try to preserve it in some way.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

J Reggie wrote: 07 Dec 2018 20:31 Unfortunately, he lost touch with him after about 15 years. We're actually going to try to track him down, but no idea how that will go. And yeah, once I get all the notes scanned in, I'm definitely going to try to preserve it in some way.
Good luck with the quest!

I for one, even though I despise the culture and politics of aunxlangery, love a good discovery story!

Be sure also to make some notes or journal entries about the process. As your project proceeds, you might also get in contact (I think it's Sai) who does the Conlangery Podcast. I'm sure they would love to interview you!

This is actually very exciting!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

eldin raigmore wrote: 07 Dec 2018 04:59
[+1]
WHS.

Being a hoarder by nature, I tertiate that notion with whole heart!

Somewhere in their Auxlang flight of ideopoesis, they may have stumbled upon the IAL equivalent of the Wootz Steel process.
Wouldn't want to have lost that, nor have to wait 22~24 billion years for the universe to reset and come back to this moment againe... [:'(]
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

I haven't really been posting much on this forum lately, so I'd thought I might at least post a short update for the few folks who remember me and care...

I have been working on one conlang, Nakarian (endonym Nakỏthẹ̉) since October 2017. I've used some versions of it in the last two relays but I keep refining it. Even the version used in the recent relay is already outdated. I keep promising myself that I'll start a thread on it but 1) I still feel there are some areas that need work before I share it; 2) I'm not really convinced it will be of much interest to anyone other than myself; and 3) I've been super busy lately, with a small child at home and changes at work.

I have also done some conworlding work. Those who know me are aware that I've been a serial conworlder, with a new idea every few weeks or months, and I had trouble sticking to a world. This has changed somewhat - Nakarian gave me an anchor and a reason to stick to a conworld. I have recombined elements of my conworlds, and ended up with three worlds that I feel are here to stay:

Nakàr or New Earth. This is my "soft science" conworld with no magic. It is a high-tilt planet terraformed by humans and populated with terrestrial (but genetically modified) species. The civilization collapsed so the world is low-tech at the moment. It combines some elements of my previous conworlds from WOTS to Scosya, but also contains a lot of original ideas.
Spoiler:
Yes, this is where Nakarian is spoken. I realize I should either change the name of the planet or of the language so it doesn't seem like it's a global lingua franca but I can't be bothered.

Void Opera. Based on my floating islands conworld with a lot of elements from other conworlds. This is my grim fantasy meets space opera setting.

Colonial World. Steampunky alt-Earth with magitech trains and ships, and a conflict between a colonial empire, immortal vampire kings and fae-worshipping pseudo-Chinese. I don't believe I've ever posted about it on this forum but it's actually almost two years old.

I don't know if anybody cares, and I don't know if I'll ever find the time to actually share more but I wanted to mention at least this much.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

gestaltist wrote: 08 Dec 2018 14:15 I haven't really been posting much on this forum lately, so I'd thought I might at least post a short update for the few folks who remember me and care...
That would be me!
I have also done some conworlding work.
Ah, we get to the steak-n-tatties!
Those who know me are aware that I've been a serial conworlder, with a new idea every few weeks or months, and I had trouble sticking to a world. This has changed somewhat - Nakarian gave me an anchor and a reason to stick to a conworld. I have recombined elements of my conworlds, and ended up with three worlds that I feel are here to stay:

Nakàr or New Earth. This is my "soft science" conworld with no magic. It is a high-tilt planet terraformed by humans and populated with terrestrial (but genetically modified) species. The civilization collapsed so the world is low-tech at the moment. It combines some elements of my previous conworlds from WOTS to Scosya, but also contains a lot of original ideas.
Spoiler:
Yes, this is where Nakarian is spoken. I realize I should either change the name of the planet or of the language so it doesn't seem like it's a global lingua franca but I can't be bothered.

Void Opera. Based on my floating islands conworld with a lot of elements from other conworlds. This is my grim fantasy meets space opera setting.

Colonial World. Steampunky alt-Earth with magitech trains and ships, and a conflict between a colonial empire, immortal vampire kings and fae-worshipping pseudo-Chinese. I don't believe I've ever posted about it on this forum but it's actually almost two years old.

I don't know if anybody cares, and I don't know if I'll ever find the time to actually share more but I wanted to mention at least this much.
I fondly recall the floating island world, and am glad you've combined some of the old elements into a new work!

I also very much hope you'll share more of this new world! At least now that you've got a childling in the house, you can make stories for her set in this world and tell them to us too!
jimydog000
greek
greek

Post by jimydog000 »

Made some numbers for my, fourth? first? Conlang, I have a feeling I will develop this one further than the others. For now I am calling it Fuelke.
Spoiler:
1: lam
2: hee
3: mas
4: hian
5: kuw
6: veg
7: qoss
8: stel
9: hwuu
10: ene
11: lamquene
12: heequene
13: masquene
14: hianquene
15: kuwquene
16: vegquene
17: qossquene
18: stelquene
19: hwuuquene
20: fie
21: lamqufi
22: heequfi
23: masqufi
24: hianqufi
25: kuwqufi
26: vegqufi
27: qossqufi
28: stelqufi
29: hwuuqufi
30: massas
40: hianmas
50: kuwmas
60: vegmas
70 qossmas
80: stelmas
90: hwuumas
100: mgega
200: heezemgega
A signature.
Random8k
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Random8k »

In a fit of inspiration over the past few days, I got back into the protolang for my fictional species, called Qianshogō, but I suppose more to the point...

Today I worked a bit on fleshing out how I wanted questions to be formed and I've at least made a list of basic conjunctions.
Native: :eng:
Interest: :jpn: :deu:

:con: Qianshogō, Xjanae
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

My proto-lang has modal suffixes for nouns:
Feminine: https://conworkshop.com/word.php?w=7164 ... 8d06da91f3
Masculine: https://conworkshop.com/word.php?w=503c ... e857b84352
These are also on the pronouns as well:
https://conworkshop.com/view_article.ph ... 5c16b27658

In other news, verbs in Vrkhazhian have new paradigms:
https://conworkshop.com/view_article.ph ... 4f538b754a
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

I've managed to write a post on Asta for the first time in a while, finally discussing syntax.

While on holiday with family, I also decided to start a language fusing Pama-Nyungan phonology with Sanskrit morphophonology/word-structure (well, mostly) and a grammar all of its own, though with elements taken both from non-Pama-Nyungan Australian languages as well as some bits which I think are more Afro-Asiatic in feel.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Silvish is changing all the time, so who knows how long this will last, but the Silvish word for "python" is so cute: pitoù [piˈtu] [:3] And it looks and sounds just like the French word pitou "doggy". [:3] [:3]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Missed out on Lexember. Again.

seyungcwe [iv -s] — opportunity missed through complex extenuating circumstance; chance unmissed at the time but lamented rather later; the answer to the bittersweet question, was she the one?
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

^Good word. That certainly describes a number of things in my life.

What I accomplished today (after a week's worth of work) was finally putting together a vocabulary list of Lihmelinyan. It's as complete as it can be right now. But I still need to scour the forums for words I created in other threads and then forgot about...
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

On December 30, I added over 400 new Kankonian words. Kankonian now has such words as ashushim (in addition), pilakhtziz (airstrike), gafil (boogie; to boogie), gusulit (circuit breaker), momomis (caregiver, caretaker), tzeta (chant, as in Gregorian/Vefic chant), se*itzabamis (freegan), vugdas (glider, sailplane), nospais (indefinitely), khilog (to inscribe), tzantah (lit, as in "a lit party"), zunighiy (martini), atmet (motionless), sane (nationwide, the adjective; the adverb is sane we), blintzya (newsroom), osalvitshi (nonstick), phimisha (PAC), mize (number of molecules in one tzandar-molecule of oxygen), hwainsit (pristine, untouched, virgin), flushuss (puffy, as in "Your ezes look red and puffy"), seimang-hen (shareholder -- a borrowing from Palang), loidiya (skincare), dzrigdz (hardball; to play hardball with), hopsh (suction), hian (tariff -- another Palang borrowing), hayazgesh (textbook, as in "textbook example"), tzisi (high-voltage), dzuod (low-voltage), linkosh (washable), and phawash (wetland).

My favorite is loidiya.

And I've now surpassed the 58,000 mark.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 88,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Ahzoh wrote: 02 Dec 2018 09:59 Xo soo eeg(as) dloglol. Xo soo Kasseet(as) dloglol.
[xɔ sɔwɔ ejeg(æs) dˡɔgᶫɔl | xɔ sɔwɔ kæs.se.jet(æs) dˡɔgᶫɔl]
I speak one language. I speak Kasseet.
This reminds me of xoset, a disease of the respiratory system that the lef (sapients of such planets as Saros and Ispatchi) can get. (The x is pronounced /x/ [x], and the s is pronounced /s/ [z]).
♂♥♂♀

zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

For the past two days, in between and after classes, I've been slowly making sure I know how nominals in Y2KS are going to work, but today I realized that regular sound changes lead to far more technically distinct noun declensions than I'd previously thought, so now I'm going to try to go through and figure out a) exactly how many and b) which are similar enough for me to hand-wave them away through the magic of analogy.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

shimobaatar wrote: 09 Jan 2019 03:14 b) which are similar enough for me to hand-wave them away through the magic of analogy.
[+1]

I like the sound of that . . . "hand-wave them away through the magic of analogy".

My high school Latin teacher Ms. Bisio often mentioned her theory that if the Roman Empire, and with it Classical Latin, had lasted longer, the fourth and fifth declensions would have been subsumed under the seconf and third declensions eventually.
♂♥♂♀

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

elemtilas wrote: 01 Jan 2019 20:21 Missed out on Lexember. Again.

seyungcwe [iv -s] — opportunity missed through complex extenuating circumstance; chance unmissed at the time but lamented rather later; the answer to the bittersweet question, was she the one?
Clearly you did not miss it, if you follow the old adage:

34 days in Lexember
if you borrow three from Novander
Never ye mind ole Octember
nor the dog daze of Shemptumber…

… which clearly you did
[;)]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Lambuzhao wrote: 09 Jan 2019 06:00
elemtilas wrote: 01 Jan 2019 20:21 Missed out on Lexember. Again.

Clearly you did not miss it, if you follow the old adage:

34 days in Lexember
if you borrow three from Novander
Never ye mind ole Octember
nor the dog daze of Shemptumber…

… which clearly you did
[;)]
[<3] [<3]

You always have a way of turning one's shortcomings into a rather more delicious form of shortbread!