What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by bbbourq »

Lambuzhao wrote: I've been doing this for 30+ years. I hope I get there, too.
What's your secret, bbbourg?
:wat:
This is not my secret. This secret pertains to Parlox. I'm lucky enough to translate simple sentences, never mind ones with clauses.
https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:I've made the first draft of a set of numbers for a fellow forumite in the same style as a script I helped design for him after an excruciatingly long hiatus from con-langing or scripting of any kind. With luck, I'll be able to post it in the not too distant future after I get a response from him (her?... I can't recall). I said I would wait to post it until after I'm told by said forumite what changes might be required so I can post it in it's finished form followed (maybe) by some of the intermediate designs.

(Also, I made a flag (in the not too distant past) for a screwball alternate German lang in for use in my sig.)
As promised:

The top line is the original suggestion and working version that had been used as the numbers for Airumali. Then comes my versions that were created to fit better with the original script's forms and glyph styles. Alternates are made going down the line below each other character. In the bottom right are some non-number glyphs that were created as alternate forms for the original script as well as a new version of a diacritic (above the m-like character) and a brand new character using a line-form that was created for the above numbers.

(Also, I am just now noticing there are some artefacts present in some of the characters that I will need to fix. Oh well!)

Thoughts? Questions? Comments?
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: .... http://i.imgur.com/XvE5nu0.png
Thoughts? Questions? Comments?
I like the way it looks!
Hālian
sinic
sinic

Post by Hālian »

[:D]

I'm a he, btw.
Image Safir Alliance
Image Hoennese Realm
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

eldin raigmore wrote:I like the way it looks!
Thanks!
Hālian wrote: [:D]
I'm a he, btw.
I was reasonably certain, but now I am completely certain! [:)]
bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

I was at an impasse earlier. I hit a snag while writing out a sentence and I didn't know how to search for this specific issue.

My language is nominative-accusative and it has ten cases:
  1. Nominative
  2. Accusative
  3. Dative
  4. Genitive
  5. Sublative
  6. Ablative
  7. Allative
  8. Instructive
  9. Vocative
So here is where I was stumped. The word order is VSO and for the most part, formulating sentences are simple enough.

Examples:
  1. konphar-in lortho-me
    1. I speak Lortho
    2. speak-PRS.1SG.MASC lortho-ACC
  2. harl-i dharakhi malh-i
    1. The mountain is huge
    2. be-PRS.3SG.MASC mountain.MASC.NOM huge-MASC
However, my issue was how do I deal with a subject complement? Such as, "The dragon is the largest animal."

I decided to leave both words in the nominative and let the word order dictate the meaning where the verb agrees with the main subject (in this case, the dragon):
  • harl-i toshani dir-molh-u saurammu
    1. The dragon is the largest animal
    2. be-PRS.3SG.MASC dragon.MASC.NOM (superlative)-huge-FEM animal.FEM.NOM
https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

I've decided that Dubarne totally should have phrasal verbs. This is mostly because I want the language to have mostly short words and so if I can get new meaning out of two smaller words, all the better. Also I'm evil. [}:D]

My new favourite lexeme is an obé, literally "do apart/away/out", which is a transitive verb meaning something like restart or try again, with implications of wiping the slate clean. there's an example:

An tu zi isa obé, have!
/ˈan.tu ˈt͡sii.za ˈo.be | ˈxa.və/
do imp all 3s.prx away 2p.voc
"Scrap all this and start over, guys!"

I have a feeling that I'm going to take this idea way too far... [:D]
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

bbbourq wrote:I was at an impasse earlier. I hit a snag while writing out a sentence and I didn't know how to search for this specific issue.

My language is nominative-accusative and it has ten cases:
  1. Nominative
  2. Accusative
  3. Dative
  4. Genitive
  5. Sublative
  6. Ablative
  7. Allative
  8. Instructive
  9. Vocative
So here is where I was stumped. The word order is VSO and for the most part, formulating sentences are simple enough.

Examples:
  1. konphar-in lortho-me
    1. I speak Lortho
    2. speak-PRS.1SG.MASC lortho-ACC
  2. harl-i dharakhi malh-i
    1. The mountain is huge
    2. be-PRS.3SG.MASC mountain.MASC.NOM huge-MASC
However, my issue was how do I deal with a subject complement? Such as, "The dragon is the largest animal."

I decided to leave both words in the nominative and let the word order dictate the meaning where the verb agrees with the main subject (in this case, the dragon):
  • harl-i toshani dir-molh-u saurammu
    1. The dragon is the largest animal
    2. be-PRS.3SG.MASC dragon.MASC.NOM (superlative)-huge-FEM animal.FEM.NOM
Many languages that are nom-acc and have cases would put both arguments in the nominative, so I think that's fine. That's what I do with Shonkasika, which is also a nom-acc language with cases.

Your language looks interesting by the way. Where can I see more?
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

Lambuzhao wrote:
Sadani, from sadıakri 'Angry Lake'
Why is it 'angry'? Does it boil geothermically? Was the lake a source of enmity between two peoples?
Inquiring minds want to know!
:wat:
This inquiring mind wants to know too!

An appealing theory to me is that the lake frequently has storms. Alternately, it might have a religious/mythical connection; in their religion, natural spirits live all over the place, and perhaps the spirits of this lake are believed to be exceptionally passionate. (Tirina doesn't draw much of a distinction between "anger" and "passion")
Jackk wrote:I've decided that Dubarne totally should have phrasal verbs. This is mostly because I want the language to have mostly short words and so if I can get new meaning out of two smaller words, all the better. Also I'm evil. [}:D]

My new favourite lexeme is an obé, literally "do apart/away/out", which is a transitive verb meaning something like restart or try again, with implications of wiping the slate clean. there's an example:

An tu zi isa obé, have!
/ˈan.tu ˈt͡sii.za ˈo.be | ˈxa.və/
do imp all 3s.prx away 2p.voc
"Scrap all this and start over, guys!"

I have a feeling that I'm going to take this idea way too far... [:D]
Phrasal verbs are awesome. I really wanna mess with them sometime, but they wouldn't work in any of my current langs.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Worked on my noun declensions for my Hiberno-Norse lang. You can take a looksie here.

Next thing I'm going to do is figure out what declensions can easily merge through analogy.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

alynnidalar wrote:Phrasal verbs are awesome. I really wanna mess with them sometime, but they wouldn't work in any of my current langs.
Just because you are a native speaker of English and never had to painfully accept that "take off", "take on", "take out", "take over" and "take up" only have hazy resemblances in the original meaning of "to take". [:'(]

Re-worked Yélian's mood system regarding permission, prohibition and obligation.

There are three moods for that kind of stuff, the permissive mood (marked with prefix meg-), the propositive mood (probs to Lambuzhao for that! marked with ra-) and the necessitative mood (marked with ian-).

The positive necessitative mood ("must") and the negative permissive mood ("must not") require the jussive conjugation.

Ianiydas reo iavúm èpa nabetál cimegcuras pès siné fecun sat.
NEC-clean-JUS.1SG 1SG.POSS room and until_then NEG-PERM-go-JUS.1SG to cinema with 2SG.OBL
I have to tidy up my room and before I've finished I must not go to the cinema with you.

On the other side, the negative necessitative mood ("need not") and the positive permissive mood ("may") require the indicative conjugation.

Cianiydai reo iavúm cîyevalta, pariút megcurai pès siné fecun sat.
NEG-NEC-clean-IND.1SG 1SG.POSS room anymore, therefore PERM-go-IND.1SG to cinema with 2SG.OBL
I don't have to tidy up my room anymore and therefore I'm allowed to go to the cinema with you.

Now, as for the propositive mood, it's positive form corresponds to the positive necessitative mood, whereas its negative form corresponds to the negative permissive mood. However, it's obligation is somewhat weaker and is more like a recommendation, which is why the indicative conjugation is used for both.

Raiydai reo iavúm èpa nabetál ciracurai pès siné fecun sat.
PROP-clean-IND.1SG 1SG.POSS room and until_then NEG-PERM-go-JUS.1SG to cinema with 2SG.OBL
I need to tidy up my room and before I've finished I better not go to the cinema with you.

Positive necessitative and negative permissive mood cannot be used together with the conditional prefix di- and hence with the conditional. There is no *dian- or *cidimeg-. This is only logical as there is no jussive-conditional conjugation in Yélian. Hence, in those cases, the propositive is used obligatorily.

*Dianivenas æ'tivér reo o'ifran vigo cidiyimegvàniat.
Diraivenvain æ'tivér reo o'ifran vigo cidiyiravànivet.
COND-PROP-finish-COND.1SG DEF.CONC=task 1SG.POSS DEF.GEN=friend if NEG-COND-PST-PERM-leave-COND.3SG
I would need to finish the task of my friend if he hadn't been allowed to go. [Is this even English lol]
Last edited by Iyionaku on 09 Aug 2017 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

Iyionaku wrote:
alynnidalar wrote:Phrasal verbs are awesome. I really wanna mess with them sometime, but they wouldn't work in any of my current langs.
Just because you are a native speaker of English and never had to painfully accept that "take off", "take on", "take out", "take over" and "take up" only have hazy resemblances in the original meaning of "to take". [:'(]
I concede this is true. [xP]
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

alynnidalar wrote:
Iyionaku wrote:
I concede this is true. [xP]
If this be sarcasm, well, we get the the point. But surely English is not alone in the Germanic languages in their use of separable and inseparable verbs for both literal and metaphoric usages, nor the Romance langs (comprendre, apprendre, emprendre), nor even the Chinese resultative or Japanese compound verbs. Cut English phrasal verbs some slack. Another conlang may form/regroup these in a very new and interesting way (and even if it's in a familiar way, we may see a language of its own flavor.) Let's see what else happens in addition to intraphrase order and idiomatic usage.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Iyionaku wrote:
No, I agree with Lao Kou. You're a native speaker of German, right? I don't know if these count as phrasal verbs, but separable and inseparable prefixes are a nightmare. English is far from being alone in having confusing sets of the same verb paired with different prepositions.
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

I've decided the next couple steps for my cat conlang, including introducing a "long r" sound.

Also, not lang or culture related (except incidentally), but I found some mochi at the local grocery store, so I'm very happy about this, since I've been wanting some and have been having a hard time finding any.
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

Iyionaku wrote: Re-worked Yélian's mood system regarding permission, prohibition and obligation.

There are three moods for that kind of stuff, the permissive mood (marked with prefix meg-), the propositive mood (probs to Lambuzhao for that! marked with ra-) and the necessitative mood (marked with ian-).
Spoiler:
The positive necessitative mood ("must") and the negative permissive mood ("must not") require the jussive conjugation.

Ianiydas reo iavúm èpa nabetál cimegcuras pès siné fecun sat.
NEC-clean-JUS.1SG 1SG.POSS room and until_then NEG-PERM-go-JUS.1SG to cinema with 2SG.OBL
I have to tidy up my room and before I've finished I must not go to the cinema with you.

On the other side, the negative necessitative mood ("need not") and the positive permissive mood ("may") require the indicative conjugation.

Cianiydai reo iavúm cîyevalta, pariút megcurai pès siné fecun sat.
NEG-NEC-clean-IND.1SG 1SG.POSS room anymore, therefore PERM-go-IND.1SG to cinema with 2SG.OBL
I don't have to tidy up my room anymore and therefore I'm allowed to go to the cinema with you.

Now, as for the propositive mood, it's positive form corresponds to the positive necessitative mood, whereas its negative form corresponds to the negative permissive mood. However, it's obligation is somewhat weaker and is more like a recommendation, which is why the indicative conjugation is used for both.

Raiydai reo iavúm èpa nabetál ciracurai pès siné fecun sat.
PROP-clean-IND.1SG 1SG.POSS room and until_then NEG-PERM-go-JUS.1SG to cinema with 2SG.OBL
I need to tidy up my room and before I've finished I better not go to the cinema with you.

Positive necessitative and negative permissive mood cannot be used together with the conditional prefix di- and hence with the conditional. There is no *dian- or *dimeg-. This is only logical as there is no jussive-conditional conjugation in Yélian. Hence, in those cases, the propositive is used obligatorily.

*Dianivenas æ'tivér reo o'ifran vigo cidiyimegvàniat.
Diraivenvain æ'tivér reo o'ifran vigo cidiyiravànivet.
COND-PROP-finish-COND.1SG DEF.CONC=task 1SG.POSS DEF.GEN=friend if NEG-COND-PST-PERM-leave-COND.3SG
I would need to finish the task of my friend if he hadn't been allowed to go. [Is this even English lol]
This is pretty neat! It gives me some food for thought for my secondary moods.

I added another palatalization for consonants in Shonkasika:

Code: Select all

x~χ > ç / _j 
and then that [j] > ∅

In other words, using Shonkasika's orthography, *<khy> > <hy>
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!
holbuzvala
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by holbuzvala »

Did the pronouns for Zvala, along with a way of discerning whether words are agents/patients/obliques based on a re-use of the verbal prefixes for noun class.

The grid (prox = proximal; med = medial; dist = distal; d = dual; inc = inclusive; ex = exclusive)
Spoiler:

Agent      Object      Oblique
1s          hol        tol         zol
2s          dō         todō        zdō
3sprox      nūk        tunūk       znūk
3smed       ǵek        tǵek        zǵek
3sdist      ṭīk        tiṭīk       ziṭīk
1dinc       hodo       todo        zodo
1pinc       hodole     todole      zodole
1pex        hole       tole        zole
2p          dōle       todōle      zdōle
3p          nūkle      tunūkle     znūkle
Relevant Orthography
Spoiler:

IPA ZVALA
 e   e
 ø   ē
 a   a
 i   ī
 ɪ   i
 u   u
 y   ū
 ɒ   ō
 o   o
 ǀ   ṭ
 ʀ   ǵ
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

I decided to add syllabic nasals for Ular, although it's a little difficult to use symbols like m̂ in my latin transcription Lathu.
Also, I decided that the auslaut -ur is realized as a syllabic retroflex approximant [ɹ̩]. The fun part of it is that the word for "big", 大, is now pronounced with a nasal syllabic retroflex approximant: [kɹ̩̃̄]. [B)]
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

I managed to create 3 more or less acceptable letters (<a>, <b>, <c>) for a font that should look like the script used in the Hatton Gospels.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I have started work on a distant sister-lang of O Sumrol, Šeǒ Blǔgreniěn (pronounced ʃɛo blɯgɹɛniɛn, or more loosely ʃeɯ̽ blɯ̽gʀɛnen). It is a very agglutinating language with no true adjectives. My goal for Šeǒ Blǔgreniěn is for it to look somewhat like and sound somewhat like a mixture of bulgarian and czech.

Also O Sumrol nearly has 1000 words.

I am also now tempted to develop O Sumrol's proto-language, but O-Sumrol itself is a proto-language with over 30 descendants (I plane to develop around 2-5 of them), so i likely will not end up making a proto-language for O Sumrol.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con: