What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

@Eldin: I've pulled my groin muscle too, but it was a long time ago. It was well before I could drive, and man did that suck. Going up stairs was an absolute torture experience. And of course, my doctor at the time had his offices upstairs and an elevator that was not on the same floor as where we usually parked.
eldin raigmore wrote:At least, if it's not torn. And I both hope it isn't torn, and hope you'll heal fast.
Me too! And thanks.
You're only 37 -- always have been, always will be [...]
Believe it or not, I actually haven't reached that age quite yet.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

One question: Is this the kinda "pull" that happens when you're like seated and something in your leg twitches causing the "pull". Because if so, those things HURT. Of course, my tolerance threshold is like a 60th of an average person, so you're probably talking of something worse...
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

No, that sounds more like a charlie-horse or muscle spasm or maybe like a "twinge" (what my mom calls it but I am not sure what it really is called). What we are discussing is when you over-extend a muscle and the muscle fiber itself tears somewhat creating a strained or "pulled" muscle. A worse case is when it tears all or most of the way through, which would be a torn muscle or ligament. I'm sure there are some google-able images that demonstrate the difference that I am too lazy to find right now.

I added a new diphthong to Vingdagese to make it a bit more symmetrical, and I think I like it, but I can't decide on a good way to write it yet. I now welcome /iə̯/ to the language which currently uses iy as the spelling to match with the other (opening) diphthongs in the lang. Is it weird to have a lone centering one? Also, if you are familiar with VDT's romanization, is there a suggestion for a better way to romanize it that doesn't use diacritics? It just feels weird to go with something too outlandish, but it throws off the symmetry to NOT use the one with a y. Maybe I am overthinking this and ia would be sufficient?
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I developed a list of productive and semi-productive morphemes used in Proto-Haxyakian and many of which will become the root of my 3con languages.
https://conworkshop.info/view_article.p ... Morphology

Mī́ē hā́zē lḗot əz sāzī́gyiā āmátur.
[míː.eː háː.zeː léː.ot əz saː.zíː.gji.aː aː.má.tur]
that.FORM-MASC.SG man-A.MASC.SG in DEF.DET forest-P.FEM.SG PST.REAL-get_lost
That man got lost in the forest.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

My goal for today: Create at least ten new verbs. The result: At least ten new nouns, but just one verb. [>_<]
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :chn:, :tur:, :fra:

Zhér·dûn a tonal Germanic conlang

old stuff: Цiски | Noattȯč | Tungōnis Vīdīnōs
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

ixals wrote:My goal for today: Create at least ten new verbs. The result: At least ten new nouns, but just one verb. [>_<]
Add a verbalizer affix and voila - you have reached your goal. ;)
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Something I already found out last Saturday, but I did not happen to post here. In the Hercynian languages (a branch of Hesperic, thus related to Old Albic; however, unlike Old Albic, the Hercynian languages are accusative and inflect their verbs only for the person and number of the subject, not the object, see below), there are three classes of verbs regarding personal endings.

1. Athematic verbs have the personal ending immediately following the stem or, if present, the tense/mood suffix, e.g. (using a preliminary version of Proto-Hercynian, the phonology is not yet finalized) Ma kwathma 'I talk'. This is a small class, consisting of a few but frequently used intransitive action verbs.

2. Thematic verbs have an element -a- before the personal ending, e.g. Ma waliama than 'I love you'. This is a large and productive class, mostly transitive.

3. Rigid verbs end in -a and have no personal ending, e.g. Ma draba 'I fall'. This class is rather small and consists of intransitive stative verbs.

Of course, these classes are cognates of the three types of verbs that can be distinguished in Old Albic by what personal endings they carry. The athematic verbs correspond to Old Albic verbs that have only an agentive personal endings, the rigid verbs to those that have only an objective personal ending, and the thematic verbs to those that have both. The element -a found in thematic and rigid verbs is one and the same, namely a petrified 3rd person singular objective suffix. (It helped that the sound changes had 1st, 2nd and 3rd person objective suffixes nearly fall together, and that plural objective suffixes were only used when the objects were animate.)
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

ixals wrote:My goal for today: Create at least ten new verbs. The result: At least ten new nouns, but just one verb. [>_<]
Nouns are just always more fun to create than verbs [:P]
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

I took all 303 possible nucleus+coda combinations in Híí and separated them by slashes to use in Awkwords. This took some doing (read repetitive and boring). Once I’d tested that the generator worked, I decided to just generate one word which I would do sth special with.

I pressed the “generate” button, and out came:

mom

:roll:
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Hahahaha!

Yeah, random is indeed random. I've been using the Zompist WordGen recently and I like it a lot. I had to use about a dozen patterns in order to cover all the possible syllable shapes. And still, occasionally I get a weird bug with an impossible syllable. I should track it down and fix it, but I can't say I am too worried about it. I just ignore those.
Last edited by Thrice Xandvii on 13 Nov 2017 05:34, edited 1 time in total.
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

This new CBB theme is having an effect on me. It looks so new and nice and clean it made me go back to my Lang8 thread and start working on more things. Once I've finished laying out the grammar, I'll start working through making all my little grammatical words (that will takes some time what with having a small truck-load of aspects and moods and so on - let alone cases). Once that's done, I can start making some words (yep, I'm still terrible at that, but I'm getting there), then I'll finally be able to step into the mystical world of the Translations section of the CBB...
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

So as was indicated by my last Yay or Nay? thread post I have completely overhauled the third Kanan language, now called ‘Aciká [ʔat͡ʃika̤]. Here's a three-way comparison of this language, O Kanã and their sister language, Angwakan. All these sentences translate approximately as I saw the man standing at the big post by the river.

‘Aciká

rexopiko patu kyrúká so roka póku‘a waky á.
[ɾɛxɔpikɔ patu kɨrṳka̤ sɔ ɾɔka pɔ̤kuʔa wakɨ a̤]
ra-ex-o-piko patu kyrú-ká so roka póku-‘a waky á
1-PRF-AFF-see man stand-ANI LOC post big-LONG be.near river

O Kanã

‘aisokede ‘a kea ‘aporõ te ‘a saki ‘awẽko kã‘ẽ‘ã o ngãga.
[ʔaɪ̯so↓keⁿde ʔa ke̯a ʔapo↓ɽõ te ʔa sa↓ki ʔawẽ↓ko kã↓ʔẽʔã o ŋã↓ⁿga]
‘a-<is>oke-de ‘a kea ‘a-porõ te ‘a saki ‘a-wẽko kã‘ẽ-‘a o ngãga
M-<PRF>see-1.ERG M.SPE person M-stand LOC M.SPE straight M-big be.near-M.ERG N.SPE river

Angwakan

dawsika bibor bikor ta asik amok ak‘a angay.
[daʊ̯sika biboɾ bikoɾ ta asik amok akʔa aŋaɪ̯]
da-<s>wika bi-bor bi-kor ta a-sik a-mok a-k‘a a-ngay
1-<PRF>see ANI-man ANI-stand LOC INA-post INA-big INA-be.near INA-river

The main differences between the languages to note:
  • The perfective is realised as an infix in O Kanã and Angwakan but as a prefix in ‘Aciká
  • The gender system is masculine/non-masculine in OK, animate/inanimate in Ang and ‘A lacks a gender system, instead having a shape-classification system found on adjectives, numerals and some verbs
  • Similarly, OK has a determiner system consisting of particles, Ang has noun-class prefixes and ‘A lacks any such word-class
Void
sinic
sinic

Post by Void »

Translated the first page of Thus Spake Zarathustra into Symiric. If anyone's curious as to how it looks (no gloss or IPA because it's just too much):

Spoiler:
Vaghol jus Zarathuštra - Atthúl

Mét siduh Zarathuštrasud marás kurgot, rainaikal öldjeben ja öldjen uzirban, ja aikal galadattul. Kar úlpihal menhejenél ja erksôljenél, ja de éredhel hursurjan sangoroš. Ó világihukol zamorja baighunor ja sümböjörs erke rítû jagánnál ithünnél, jömöl múghun athar ja vaghol irdül jus: Odh arjun sahul! Saun žaghzulak, mér de medhet zalsud ambarat, ithil kattúm? Imluk hursurjan sangoroš ezdür megghöridül: éredhingek thürren ja urtohlan, de mezlen rún, ja rújot mešer ja ahsun. Ó zédhlen zalban katrú rítû, vašlin zalban amplúdúkis, ja ághingalun zalas sesüd. Uksunak. Éredhür orssularban, gaddhor péhmür thól vogh tasran; thurbar kájais alhursungukis gadhulsud. Aldaralgur ja rankodungulgur duhúm dirhizmit úzor orsot ambarjat hórol úlpas dürvihûiter, ja morgot burhámjaitar. Ezzüd rúlam nidhaikul dúhtul: zalmur kíghuno, katruduh aikathuk úlur rüsér, ja thürüngüthük angaghkandas, odh kaunata sahul! Zalmur rúlam nidhaikul, vómurs vaghak ambaratta, nidhaikamur sittür. Ághinganuk rús káh, odh rámsal té, atatthor téhül eč arjundur žaghdúm iržûben! Ághinganuk börgös kurm amplúdal, plúdulgat seren nahar kaira, ja zôhülüg mégerdül žaghzulakin ruhtéhû! Uksunak. Tühjüngümmeg úzor ez börög ja sum úzor Zarathuštra pére. Öglöl jus Zarathuštran nidhákus.
Evynova
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Evynova »

I edited what I had posted about Soo ta Aangii. I had made some changes in the phonology and grammar, but never got around to updating the thread; until now.
Void wrote: 11 Nov 2017 23:11 Translated the first page of Thus Spake Zarathustra into Symiric. If anyone's curious as to how it looks (no gloss or IPA because it's just too much):
Spoiler:
Vaghol jus Zarathuštra - Atthúl

Mét siduh Zarathuštrasud marás kurgot, rainaikal öldjeben ja öldjen uzirban, ja aikal galadattul. Kar úlpihal menhejenél ja erksôljenél, ja de éredhel hursurjan sangoroš. Ó világihukol zamorja baighunor ja sümböjörs erke rítû jagánnál ithünnél, jömöl múghun athar ja vaghol irdül jus: Odh arjun sahul! Saun žaghzulak, mér de medhet zalsud ambarat, ithil kattúm? Imluk hursurjan sangoroš ezdür megghöridül: éredhingek thürren ja urtohlan, de mezlen rún, ja rújot mešer ja ahsun. Ó zédhlen zalban katrú rítû, vašlin zalban amplúdúkis, ja ághingalun zalas sesüd. Uksunak. Éredhür orssularban, gaddhor péhmür thól vogh tasran; thurbar kájais alhursungukis gadhulsud. Aldaralgur ja rankodungulgur duhúm dirhizmit úzor orsot ambarjat hórol úlpas dürvihûiter, ja morgot burhámjaitar. Ezzüd rúlam nidhaikul dúhtul: zalmur kíghuno, katruduh aikathuk úlur rüsér, ja thürüngüthük angaghkandas, odh kaunata sahul! Zalmur rúlam nidhaikul, vómurs vaghak ambaratta, nidhaikamur sittür. Ághinganuk rús káh, odh rámsal té, atatthor téhül eč arjundur žaghdúm iržûben! Ághinganuk börgös kurm amplúdal, plúdulgat seren nahar kaira, ja zôhülüg mégerdül žaghzulakin ruhtéhû! Uksunak. Tühjüngümmeg úzor ez börög ja sum úzor Zarathuštra pére. Öglöl jus Zarathuštran nidhákus.
I like what I see! It's a shame the spoiler button still hasn't been fixed and you need to quote a message in order to see what's hidden lol
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 06 Nov 2017 05:09
You're only 37 -- always have been, always will be [...]
Believe it or not, I actually haven't reached that age quite yet.
But you've been XXXVII as long as I've known you! ... ?
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I came up with a Vrkhazhian equivalent to "what the fuck"

ʾAṟni* lit dilan ya?!
"a scorpion is in some sandals?!"

*This word for scorpion in particular is a strong pejoritive. Kinda like calling something a stronger version of "scum".
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

The latest version of my conplanet Sedi:
https://imgur.com/PXilPOL
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Ahzoh wrote: 12 Nov 2017 10:53 The latest version of my conplanet Sedi:
https://imgur.com/PXilPOL
Very nice.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

I decided to independently work on a Hlailang, and then make some Sawndip-like characters.

So far I got to the "base" of the Hlailang, and I know roughly what the Hlailang's history is like.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

*makes grabby hands* I wanna see the script!!