What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
mira
greek
greek

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by mira »

qwed117 wrote:I attempted to fix my computer's fan (by taking it out of the casing). When I frantically tried to put it back together after discovering that one screw wouldn't come out, I didn't put the hard drive in correctly (upside down), and ultimately received a "No boot found" error. I freaked the hell out. Attempted taking it out, and putting it back in again, and then looked up how to put a hard drive in, and discovered I put it in the wrong way. Then I rebooted my computer.

It's working again, but the fan is still unfixed... It seizes up every now and then, and I have to blow on the vent in order for it to come back on...

(I'm going to ask my dad for compressed air to clean it. I think dust accumulation is a major problem right now.)
I do a lot with computers. It is recommended to give your PC a quick clean every couple of weeks and a thorough clean every month or so. You can get away with less frequent cleans if you have a case with dust filters, but dust filters should be removed, brushed off, and put back every week and a half.

Also: How did you manage to get the hard drive in upside down? The SATA and SATA power cables are different shapes.
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

DesEsseintes wrote:
Parlox wrote:I have created the basis of grammar for a berber language i am working on.
Would love to see what you come up with. Berber is awesome. [:D]
Where is this Berber conlang I want to see it! [:P]
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Finally, I began writing the syntax section of my Early Middle English reference grammar yesterday.

Did I mention that I write it in German? Because all my Urland stuff (of which that reference grammar is a part) is written in German.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

OTʜᴇB wrote:
qwed117 wrote:I attempted to fix my computer's fan (by taking it out of the casing). When I frantically tried to put it back together after discovering that one screw wouldn't come out, I didn't put the hard drive in correctly (upside down), and ultimately received a "No boot found" error. I freaked the hell out. Attempted taking it out, and putting it back in again, and then looked up how to put a hard drive in, and discovered I put it in the wrong way. Then I rebooted my computer.

It's working again, but the fan is still unfixed... It seizes up every now and then, and I have to blow on the vent in order for it to come back on...

(I'm going to ask my dad for compressed air to clean it. I think dust accumulation is a major problem right now.)
I do a lot with computers. It is recommended to give your PC a quick clean every couple of weeks and a thorough clean every month or so. You can get away with less frequent cleans if you have a case with dust filters, but dust filters should be removed, brushed off, and put back every week and a half.

Also: How did you manage to get the hard drive in upside down? The SATA and SATA power cables are different shapes.
I know. I looked at the dust filters, and all I got to say is it's not clean. The hard drive being upside down is easier to explain. The hard drive is one that you can just pop out and plug in, sort of like a big usb. (I actually originally thought it was a CD drive for that reason, never used it tho)
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

I continued playing around with my spreadsheet for Mto astronomical data, and kept getting weird slight differences in numbers, which was driving me nuts.

Then I found this, and thus began a long stream of invectives.

I...I may just have to throw my hands up and come up with things and throw them at Rebound to see what comes out.

Physics is frustrating.
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

qwed117 wrote:
OTʜᴇB wrote:

I know. I looked at the dust filters, and all I got to say is it's not clean. The hard drive being upside down is easier to explain. The hard drive is one that you can just pop out and plug in, sort of like a big usb. (I actually originally thought it was a CD drive for that reason, never used it tho)
Well, it looks like the fan is working better. It's not particularly dirty on the inside, but I don't see any other reason as to why it's not working. Unfortunately, now the keyboard is broken on the keys qweasdzxc, which only make Cortana turn on, open File explorer, start command prompt, and opens stickies on the side, and some more random stuff.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

The SqwedgePad
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

Yesterday i added 70 words to Meskosi saitin.
Today i have added about 40 words to its lexicon.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

Today I submitted a pull request to Rebound (an open-sourced project for n-body simulations) to do a thing I was wanting while I'm working on Mto's moons.

...also, three-body simulations seem to have a very good chance at becoming mildly chaotic, I've noticed. Multi-moon planets are harder than single-moon planets.
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I have added about 80 words to meskosi saitin.
Also, i have dropped my berber conlang for lack of materials.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Axiem wrote:Today I submitted a pull request to Rebound (an open-sourced project for n-body simulations) to do a thing I was wanting while I'm working on Mto's moons.

...also, three-body simulations seem to have a very good chance at becoming mildly chaotic, I've noticed. Multi-moon planets are harder than single-moon planets.
Seems like a reasonable statement. I mean, isn't that why the n-body problem is unsolvable for most values?
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

qwed117 wrote:I mean, isn't that why the n-body problem is unsolvable for most values?
Basically.

Though running a simulation for 120,000 years, it's surprisingly stable. A few more calculations and tweaks, and I should actually (finally!) have something to show for all this work.

Then it's on to the Hot Jupiter and how its steadily-being-stripped atmosphere affects the other planets!
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

I've been playing around with my new version of Limestone, and I'm quite pleased with the emerging aesthetic which is somewhere in between Blackfoot and Pawnee. The sample word Átsxariiriwáár should give an idea of what I'm aiming for. And look! Word-final r!
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

DesEsseintes wrote:I've been playing around with my new version of Limestone, and I'm quite pleased with the emerging aesthetic which is somewhere in between Blackfoot and Pawnee. The sample word Átsxariiriwáár should give an idea of what I'm aiming for. And look! Word-final r!
[:P] *noisy lip-licking*
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Frislander wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:I've been playing around with my new version of Limestone, and I'm quite pleased with the emerging aesthetic which is somewhere in between Blackfoot and Pawnee. The sample word Átsxariiriwáár should give an idea of what I'm aiming for. And look! Word-final r!
[:P] *noisy lip-licking*
[:D]

Here, have some Limestone clusters:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

p    ps   t    ts   tsx   tł   k    ks   kx   kł   s    ł    x
m    -    -    -    -    -     -    -    -    -    -    -    -    mx
n    -    -    -    -    -     -    -    -    -    -    ns   -    nx
t    pp   pps  tt   tts  ttsx  ttł  kk   kks  kkx  kkł  -    -    -
s    sp   sps  st   sts  stsx  stł  sk   sks  skx  skł  -    -    sx
ss   ssp  ssps sst  ssts sstsx sstł ssk  ssks sskx sskł -    -    ssx
ł    łp   łps  łt   łts  łtsx  łtł  łk   łks  łkx  łkł  -    -    łx
łł   łłp  łłps łłt  łłts łłtsx łłtł łłk  łłks łłkx łłkł -    -    łłx
x    xp   xps  xt   xts  xtsx  xtł  xk   xks  xkx  xkł  xs   xł   -
xx   xxp  xxps xxt  xxts xxtsx xxtł xxk  xxks xxkx xxkł xxs  xxł  -
I'm actually still undecided whether to permit geminate codas in Limestone. They're commonas muck in its sisterlang Híí, and they might be explained away as an areal feature, but they do detract from the Pawneeness of the aesthetic.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

I have reviewed my Scosya maps after a long, long while. (Scosya is my "hard" conworld based on a high-tilt planet). I have decided that my pressure and rain maps are actually salvagable, so I only need to redo temperature. As getting bogged down in climate was what made me stop working on the project in the first place, this is good news. I think I will approach temperature with a little less rigor than I originally intended, only as to define climate zones. (The problem is that I need to actually figure out what climate zones such a world would have - Koppen classification falls right out the window. And only summer-winter is not enough, either. I needed to make a separate map for each season.)

Let's see if I manage to get this done this time around. I am really itching to move forward with the conbiology part of the project.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

DesEsseintes wrote:Here, have some Limestone clusters:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

p    ps   t    ts   tsx   tł   k    ks   kx   kł   s    ł    x
m    -    -    -    -    -     -    -    -    -    -    -    -    mx
n    -    -    -    -    -     -    -    -    -    -    ns   -    nx
t    pp   pps  tt   tts  ttsx  ttł  kk   kks  kkx  kkł  -    -    -
s    sp   sps  st   sts  stsx  stł  sk   sks  skx  skł  -    -    sx
ss   ssp  ssps sst  ssts sstsx sstł ssk  ssks sskx sskł -    -    ssx
ł    łp   łps  łt   łts  łtsx  łtł  łk   łks  łkx  łkł  -    -    łx
łł   łłp  łłps łłt  łłts łłtsx łłtł łłk  łłks łłkx łłkł -    -    łłx
x    xp   xps  xt   xts  xtsx  xtł  xk   xks  xkx  xkł  xs   xł   -
xx   xxp  xxps xxt  xxts xxtsx xxtł xxk  xxks xxkx xxkł xxs  xxł  -
I'm actually still undecided whether to permit geminate codas in Limestone. They're commonas muck in its sisterlang Híí, and they might be explained away as an areal feature, but they do detract from the Pawneeness of the aesthetic.
Nice! I'd say keep 'em, they fit nicely with the geminate sonorants you plan on having.
Esneirra973
sinic
sinic

Post by Esneirra973 »

I fleshed out a conlang in the year 3017 derived from American English. Here is a sample sentence.

Jups kwak bren fes ava lozh deg.

[dʒups kwak bren fes ava loʒ deg]

jump-PRES quick brown fox-SING over lazy dog-SING
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

gokupwned5 wrote:I fleshed out a conlang in the year 3017 derived from American English. Here is a sample sentence.

Jups kwak bren fes ava lozh deg.

[dʒups kwak bren fes ava loʒ deg]

jump-PRES quick brown fox-SING over lazy dog-SING
I'd say you could've been more radical, both phonetics-wise and grammar wise. Especially grammar wise.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Relevant content from the Y/N thread:
Spoiler:
In the minimalist interpretation, New Limestone has the following consonant inventory:

/m n/
/p t k ʔ/
/s ɬ x/
/r j w/

Now that I've been playing with the inventory for several days, I find I'm not too keen on nasals and want to restrict them, though I'm hesitant to go all the Pawnee way and eliminate them altogether, so I've hit on a possible solution.

There will be no phonemes /m n/ but geminate /w r/ manifest as mm nn. These also occur word-initially but simplify to m n. Thus all of m n w are distinguished word-initially (single r elides in that position), but medially they are in complementary distribution depending on length. This will be apparent when prefixes occur.

/riiwa/ → iiwa
/a + riiwa/ → ariiwa
/rriiwa/ → niiwa
/a + rriiwa/ → anniiwa

/watsiri/ → watsiri
/a + watsiri/ → awatsiri
/wwatsiri/ → matsiri
/a + wwatsiri/ → ammatsiri
etc.

This does have the wonderful benefit of reducing the consonant inventory to ten segments, but I will lose out on word forms like áínimiiwa.

Y/N?
I've decided not to adopt this for now, so I will be keeping phonemic /m n/ for the time being. New Limestone is still in its infancy, and I would rather not restrict myself unduly at this stage.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Thanks to the calligraphic flourish of masako elsewhere, I entered l'円相 (l'haineceau) into the Japoné語 lexicon. In the process, I discovered by file dates that I haven't done anything lexically with Japoné語 at all in 2017. If I were the father of Géarthnuns and Japoné語, this would be unconscionable parental-favoritistic abuse, leading to dastardly Cain-Abel conflicts worthy of Dynasty. If I were a Chinese husband back in the dynasties as in Hang the Red Lantern, I'd leave Wife1 and Wife2 to subterfuge and duke it out. I'm just not conlangingly wired that way.

Good Lord, is it no wonder I don't speedlang? That's like the one-night-stand of conlanging. Nothing wrong with one-night-stands, an sich, but if you have a faithful partner back at home requiring your attention (Géarthnuns)? One could argue that Japoné語 was the result of a fling, and I'm now trying to "make it right" (though the project does involve creative joy). It will never be the life project that is Géarthnuns, and it knows it.

Mind, I flatter myself to think I'm reasonably sane, and know these are projects, not people. It's just hard to imagine myself with such prolificity. I'm not Bach or Picasso!
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名