What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by k1234567890y »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 03 Aug 2018 22:08 I codified the medio-passive endings in Lihmelinyan. I've been avoiding even getting near the medio-passive voice, but it's time to put on the gloves and work on it :)

Singular: -her, -fer, -tar
Dual: -waza, -htā, -htē
Plural: -maza, -zwe, -rar

sándaher "I wash (myself), I am washed"
sándazwe "you are cleansed"
nice (:
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

I codified the medio-passive endings in Lihmelinyan. I've been avoiding even getting near the medio-passive voice, but it's time to put on the gloves and work on it :)

Singular: -her, -fer, -tar
Dual: -waza, -htā, -htē
Plural: -maza, -zwe, -rar

sándaher "I wash (myself), I am washed"
sándazwe "you are cleansed"
Nice, indeed! [:)]

Now sándawaza : may it mean 'we washed ourselves' or also 'we washed each other' (¿?)

Will you be considering making some kind of Reciprocal pronoun like :grc: ἀλλήλων, a phrase like :eng: 'one another' or :grc: ἄλλος ἄλλον , or an adverb like :got: misso :?: :wat:

Or will you perhaps tweak the above verbal desinences for Reciprocity?

I'll try not to be too pushy ~ [:x]
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

Thanks guys [:D]

I haven't thought much about reciprocity yet, but I do think the middle, especially the middle dual, can be used in a reciprocal sense. My intent is to eventually have a reciprocal pronoun (which would be used with the middle voice and would avoid ambiguity), though I haven't created one yet.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

I worte something about the Mata people, the speakers of the Mayato language:

viewtopic.php?f=24&p=280458#p280458
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

k1234567890y wrote: 04 Aug 2018 21:43 I worte something about the Mata people, the speakers of the Mayato language:

I had a quick look. It's a good start! And don't worry about basing these folk on a real culture. Ultimately it's not what you copy from the primary world, but what you do with what you copy from the primary world that counts! So, you based the Mata on the Nivkh: take that as a basis and make it your own! Change some things, giving them your wicked little twists and incorporate your own ideas. That's where your creativity will shine.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

elemtilas wrote: 04 Aug 2018 23:46
k1234567890y wrote: 04 Aug 2018 21:43 I worte something about the Mata people, the speakers of the Mayato language:

I had a quick look. It's a good start! And don't worry about basing these folk on a real culture. Ultimately it's not what you copy from the primary world, but what you do with what you copy from the primary world that counts! So, you based the Mata on the Nivkh: take that as a basis and make it your own! Change some things, giving them your wicked little twists and incorporate your own ideas. That's where your creativity will shine.
ok thanks ;-;
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I have formulated the sound changes from Old Onschen to Modern Onschen:
1a.i) æ ɑ e ø ɤ o > æ̃ ɑ̃ ẽ ø̃ ɤ̃ õ / _n%
1a.ii) æː ɑː eː øː ɤː oː > æ̃ː ɑ̃ː ẽː ø̃ː ɤ̃ː õː / _n%
1b.i) n > 0 / V_%
1b.i) ŋ > n
2a.i) æ ɑ e ø ɤ o > ʲa a ʲe ʲo e o
2a.ii) æː ɑː eː øː ɤː oː > ʲai̯ ai̯ ʲi ʲu i u
2a.iii) æe æø æɤ æo > ʲei̯ ʲoi̯ ei̯ oi̯
2a.iv) ɑe ɑø ɑɤ ɑo > ʲei̯ ʲoi̯ ei̯ oi̯
2a.v) æ̃ ɑ̃ ẽ ø̃ ɤ̃ õ > ʲã ã ʲẽ ʲõ ẽ õ
2a.vi) æ̃ː ɑ̃ː ẽː ø̃ː ɤ̃ː õː > ʲãi̯ ãi̯ ʲĩ ʲũ ĩ ũ
2a.vii) æẽ æø̃ æɤ̃ æõ > ʲẽi̯ ʲõi̯ ẽi̯ õi̯
2a.vii) ɑẽ ɑø̃ ɑɤ̃ ɑõ > ʲẽi̯ ʲõi̯ ẽi̯ õi̯
2b.i) ʲai̯ ai̯ ʲei̯ ei̯ ʲoi̯ oi̯ > ʲe e ʲi i ʲu u / _C%
2b.ii) ʲãi̯ ãi̯ ʲẽi̯ ʲõi̯ ẽi̯ õi̯ > ʲẽ ẽ ʲĩ ʲũ ĩ ũ / _C%
2c) ʲã ã ʲãi̯ ãi̯ > ʲẽ ẽ ʲẽi̯ ẽi̯
2d) ʲĩ ʲũ ĩ ũ > ʲẽ ʲõ ẽ õ
3a) ʲẽ ʲõ ẽ õ > ʲẽː ʲõː ẽː õː
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

Slowly working on my new project Denkurian:

Gita bach na genca shak bebemut.
Git-a ba-ch n-a genca sh-a-k be~bemu-t
this.INAM-F be-3SG DEF-F fish REL-F-ACC PST~catch.PST-1SG
This is the fish that I caught.
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Pulled Japoné語 out of mothballs and added three words: carob, locust, and foghorn.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Lao Kou wrote: 06 Aug 2018 09:46 Pulled Japoné語 out of mothballs and added three words: carob, locust, and foghorn.
Inago, inago...
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

DesEsseintes wrote: 06 Aug 2018 10:15
Lao Kou wrote: 06 Aug 2018 09:46 Pulled Japoné語 out of mothballs and added three words: carob, locust, and foghorn.
Inago, inago...
稲子豆 inagaumamée - carob
稲子/蝗 inagaue - locust
霧笛 moutéquie - foghorn

(Bringing the English dictionary count to 666 [}:D])
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

I started a new conlang project called Culet...which is a verb-initial language with Austronesian alignment and Semitic root...

Also, Culet is geneologically related to Mayato MK2 and I plan to make the Cu people(speakers of Culet) the source of "civilization" and provided Mata people(speakers of Mayato) in the past and Mata people learnt writing from the Cu people, Cu people had complex societies muc earlier due to a more friendly climate of their homeland.

The climate of the homeland of the Mata people(Matamre) has a climate similar to Manchuria and Russian Far East; the climate of the homeland of the Cu people is more similar to the North China Plain and the Yangtze Plain of China.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Lao Kou wrote: 06 Aug 2018 11:21
Inago, inago...
稲子豆 inagaumamée - carob
稲子/蝗 inagaue - locust
霧笛 moutéquie - foghorn
. . . leghorn?
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

elemtilas wrote: 06 Aug 2018 13:42
Lao Kou wrote: 06 Aug 2018 11:21 霧笛 moutéquie - foghorn
. . . leghorn?
Ah no, I say, no suh.

This: ImageImage and not this: Image
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

I was bored and made a little celticised romlang.

El gclobh dtodzhorn lha vféthar ábht dha shobar.
/el glu dodʒorn ɬa veːθar aːt ða hobar/
[e̞ɫ ˈglu do̞ˈdʒo̞ːn ɬə ˈve̞ːθ.r‿aːtθ ho̞ˈbaː]

"She always closes the window before dining."

Pod-thu bpálar bplu chlarmhét ?
/pod θi baːlar bli xlarβeːt/
[ˈpo̞.d͡ði baˈlaː bli xlaˈβe̞ːt ↗]

"Can you speak more clearly?"
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :chn:, :tur:, :fra:

Zhér·dûn a tonal Germanic conlang

old stuff: Цiски | Noattȯč | Tungōnis Vīdīnōs
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

I often find the answer to a conlang design question late at night while waiting to fall asleep. Last night, I got an idea of how tones work in Lo Dang, a monosyllabic, isolating and tonal IE language spoken in northwestern China. Lo Dang has six tones - low, high, falling, rising, falling-rising and rising-falling. These tones arise from up to three "tone components", associated with the onset, nucleus and coda. The syllable nucleus (the vowel) always contribute one, L or H, according to the ablaut grade it had in PIE: e-grade gives H, o-grade gives L. I don't know yet about zero grade, but it probably gives L, too. The onset contributes either L or H, or nothing. Likewise, the coda. The list of which onsets and codas give which tone components is yet to be determined. This results in 14 different possibilities of tone component strings, which give the six tones as follows:

L > low
H > high
LL > low
LH > rising
HL > falling
HH > high
LLL > low
LLH > rising
LHL > rising-falling
LHH > rising
HLL > falling
HLH > falling-rising
HHL > falling
HHH > high
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

An idea for the zero grade: how about making it toneless. Tone languages often have toneless syllables that get their tone from somewhere else. You could argue that the zero grade gives you just the tonal combination of onset+coda then, or only one of them if the other one is missing. If there would be no tone at all in a syllable (you could add that as 0 to your list of possible tone component strings) the syllable gets the last tone component of the preceding syllable, i.e. low after low/falling/rising-falling and high after high/rising/falling-rising. Sequences of toneless syllables would get their tone from the preceding syllable, spread out over several otherwise toneless syllables. Initially these toneless syllables might get a default low tone. Just an idea on how to keep o-grade and zero-grade differentiated.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Creyeditor wrote: 06 Aug 2018 19:35 An idea for the zero grade: how about making it toneless. Tone languages often have toneless syllables that get their tone from somewhere else. You could argue that the zero grade gives you just the tonal combination of onset+coda then, or only one of them if the other one is missing. If there would be no tone at all in a syllable (you could add that as 0 to your list of possible tone component strings) the syllable gets the last tone component of the preceding syllable, i.e. low after low/falling/rising-falling and high after high/rising/falling-rising. Sequences of toneless syllables would get their tone from the preceding syllable, spread out over several otherwise toneless syllables. Initially these toneless syllables might get a default low tone. Just an idea on how to keep o-grade and zero-grade differentiated.
Thank you! That should work. As I see it, there are not many syllables that have zero grade but neither onset or coda.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

(Post #9992.)
Lao Kou wrote: 06 Aug 2018 11:21
Inago, inago...
稲子豆 inagaumamée - carob
稲子/蝗 inagaue - locust
霧笛 moutéquie - foghorn

(Bringing the English dictionary count to 666 [}:D])
So nice to see Japoné語 again, even if the Beast is tagging along!

ixals wrote: 06 Aug 2018 18:37 I was bored and made a little celticised romlang.
Looks like a nice start to me!
ixals wrote: 06 Aug 2018 18:37 El gclobh dtodzhorn lha vféthar ábht dha shobar.
/el glu dodʒorn ɬa veːθar aːt ða hobar/
[e̞ɫ ˈglu do̞ˈdʒo̞ːn ɬə ˈve̞ːθ.r‿aːtθ ho̞ˈbaː]

"She always closes the window before dining."
Ah, a classic.

WeepingElf wrote: 06 Aug 2018 19:03 I often find the answer to a conlang design question late at night while waiting to fall asleep.
Same here. I also get a lot of my ideas in the shower, which can be quite inconvenient as well.
WeepingElf wrote: 06 Aug 2018 19:03 Last night, I got an idea of how tones work in Lo Dang, a monosyllabic, isolating and tonal IE language spoken in northwestern China.
Sounds like a cool project! Given the language's location, is there any close relation to Tocharian (apart from both being Indo-European)? What's the etymology of the language's name, if I might ask?
Keenir2
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Keenir2 »

I (Rodlox,Keenir) got a new CBB ID because I got locked out of my Hotmail last night

tried to work out how the Classical Greek words "nix" / "nyx" would evolve if given an island where they'd go nuts from sheer isolation have the place to themselves for forever and all time (*g*)...thus far, its at [nytS] / [nAs] though I'm not wild about either.