What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Ahzoh »

It will be an abugida and yes, I plan on marking vowels solely by dots, lines, and curves. The /a/ vowel, in particular looks similar to a tilde and goes below the letterform.

The width of of the descender and ascender space in the font making program is 400 ems each while the x-space is 768 ems. I'm thinking of reducing this to either 650 or 400, although it is a very hard thing to do to resize everything while trying to keep the width of the lines at 150 ems.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
samthewoxx
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by samthewoxx »

Working on a neography.
https://imgur.com/jTbQvYX
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Ahzoh wrote: 21 Dec 2017 22:10 It will be an abugida and yes, I plan on marking vowels solely by dots, lines, and curves. The /a/ vowel, in particular looks similar to a tilde and goes below the letterform.

The width of of the descender and ascender space in the font making program is 400 ems each while the x-space is 768 ems. I'm thinking of reducing this to either 650 or 400, although it is a very hard thing to do to resize everything while trying to keep the width of the lines at 150 ems.
Very interesting connected script!

Reminds me of Syriac, which I like reading a lot more than Arabic.

Here's at least one example of Syriac engraved on stone
http://www.aina.org/images/agmbelgium16.jpg

On the Assyrian Genocide Monument in Belgium.

Here's a more 'demotic' scritchy-scratchy Syriac engraved inscription (much more linear/angular, not really rounded) around Nestorian Cross
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/d7/f2/76/d7f2 ... -china.jpg

Chinese & Syriac Bilingual Inscription of Hsian Fu
http://www.heritageinstitute.com/zoroas ... sianFu.jpg

Hatran Aramaic Inscription
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _Hatra.jpg

Stone is certainly more resistant than bone, but to give you some ideas.
bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

I revamped my cases in Lortho to reduce the amount of syllables each ending had from two to one syllable; however, I kept one ending as two syllables to keep it unique. It was brought to my attention that it is not common for languages to have mutli-syllabic endings being that they are used so often. So... there it is.
https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I just recently had my 37×100th post!
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 26 Dec 2017 22:45 I just recently had my 37×100th post!
And the significance is?
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Frislander wrote: 26 Dec 2017 23:14
And the significance is?
His username and stuff involve the number 37
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Ahzoh wrote: 26 Dec 2017 23:32
Frislander wrote: 26 Dec 2017 23:14
And the significance is?
His username and stuff involve the number 37
Which wouldn't necessarily be obvious to someone who joined after Thrice changed his username.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Thirty-Seven has been my favorite number for a long time? I dunno, more of a bit of a jokey accomplishment for today. *shrug* (Ahzoh is also right.)
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

(Apologies for the double-post... but apparently I can't delete it to fix the issue and add it to the previous one...?)
Dormouse559 wrote: 27 Dec 2017 01:18 Which wouldn't necessarily be obvious to someone who joined after Thrice changed his username.
True, but it is still in there. Thrice X and VII = 3 x 10 + 7 = 37... Just a bit less obvious than it once was.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 27 Dec 2017 01:44 (Apologies for the double-post... but apparently I can't delete it to fix the issue and add it to the previous one...?)
Dormouse559 wrote: 27 Dec 2017 01:18 Which wouldn't necessarily be obvious to someone who joined after Thrice changed his username.
True, but it is still in there. Thrice X and VII = 3 x 10 + 7 = 37... Just a bit less obvious than it once was.
I knew about you and 37, but this stuff about your new/current username went completely over my head until now. [:$]
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I mean, it was meant to be rather non-obvious unless you think about it.
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I have started work on a germanic language descended from Old Norse. The idea is that is spoken in Thailand with quite a bit of Thai influence, and has an Austronesian alignment.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Parlox wrote: 27 Dec 2017 23:41 I have started work on a germanic language descended from Old Norse. The idea is that is spoken in Thailand with quite a bit of Thai influence, and has an Austronesian alignment.
Nevermind the fact that I have no idea on how such a language might come to be, I am very interested in such a project as someone who works with Old Norse.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

I worked a bit on Shonkasika neuter nouns, specifically those true consonant stems whose stems in clusters, or whose last syllable contains <â> /ə/.

This may be a work in progress, but for now, stems whose final cluster end in an obstruent + liquid or nasal will get <î> /ɪ/ between the obstruent and the liquid or nasal in the indefinite nominative singular form. Other clusters will get the î appended:

*dobr > dobîr
*zelg > zelgî

In the accusative, the î is appended:
dobrîk, zelgîk

For neuters with stems that end in -âN, N being a nasal that be in a syllable coda, in all other forms besides the indefinite nominative singular (the unmarked form), â goes to î:
nom. fomân acc. fomînîk
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Parlox wrote: 27 Dec 2017 23:41 I have started work on a germanic language descended from Old Norse. The idea is that is spoken in Thailand with quite a bit of Thai influence, and has an Austronesian alignment.
[O.O] [B)]
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

DesEsseintes wrote: 27 Dec 2017 04:33 I still think Lao Kou’s interpretation of your nick is the best.
Thrice Xandvii

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ea/0b/f1/ea0b ... s-bond.jpg

I'd read the book / see the movie.

The name's Xanzvii. Thrice Xanvii.

Of course, just like with #s 001-006, what/who/whence/whither of Once and Twice Xandvii?

:wat: [;)]
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Ha ha.

Twice Upon a Xandvii

produced by George Lucas
now in beamish, rather impressive Lumage!

Coming this Octember to a theatre far, far away…
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

map of climates of planet Teppala. It's actually temperatures for January and July, in Fahrenheit, overlaced with each other .... but from it Im going to make a Köppen-like map using the lines on the map for temperature guides and my best judgment for the rainfall, which wont really need to have contours.

People on planet Teppala tend to live in just one climate zone, because the living standards are very primitive and getting food is the most important defining characteristic of a society. Poswobs (my main culture) live in the blue-green plains area near the center of the map; Moonshines live in the blue areas to the north and east. The tropics have much higher population denisities and can have a nation occupying just one city and therefore just a few pixels on the map .... maps of those will be on my site eventually.

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

edit: hahaha i just realized how messy that is .... well, i tend to work messily ... that's actually much cleaner and crisper than the maps i used to generate it, and since I mostly focused on the central areas of the map, i didnt realize i had huge paint spills around the edges and various artifcats of the other maps. But, anyway, from mess comes order.
Makapappi nauppakiba.
The wolf-sheep ate itself. (Play)