qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by qwed117 »

Present for all awaiting:

/pʰaː˧˥/ n. man
Edit: More manageable image size
Last edited by qwed117 on 21 Nov 2017 01:47, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

qwed117 wrote: 20 Nov 2017 05:57 Present for all awaiting:

/pʰaː˧˥/ n. man
I love that. That seems like the kind of script I'd be doodling away with whenever I was trapped in a boring lecture, etc and people would think it just looks like shapes but I imagine they are all, or mostly, the same proportions for height and width?

-----------

I've been working on a climate map that I started more than 10 years ago and is of little importance even to me, since I pretty much know the climates of the various areas of the planet without a reference. Ive mostly completed the map of January temperatures, and then will work on summer temperatures, and then precipitation. Then I will overlay the three maps and try to make continuous contours from the many resulting lozenge shapes, and then call that the final map. I plan to use my own climate system, not Köppen or any other Earth-based one, because the planet has different characteristics such that in Köppen most of the planet would be lumped into one of the marine climates due to the low axial tilt.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Do you ever get that stupidest of all conlanging feelings where you have some creeping suspicion that your language cannot possibly have enough different-sounding words to be functional? I know it’s utter nonsense but I get that feeling anyway and therefore I’m glad to say that I’ve managed to rid myself of it permanently with regards to Híí:

Playing around with Awkwords, I now know that there are 1,098,770,112 possible combinations of four syllables in Híí, where two of said syllables can be any weight and two are light.

So now I can sleep peacefully.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

DesEsseintes wrote: 20 Nov 2017 17:17 Do you ever get that stupidest of all conlanging feelings where you have some creeping suspicion that your language cannot possibly have enough different-sounding words to be functional? I know it’s utter nonsense but I get that feeling anyway and therefore I’m glad to say that I’ve managed to rid myself of it permanently with regards to Híí:

Playing around with Awkwords, I now know that there are 1,098,770,112 possible combinations of four syllables in Híí, where two of said syllables can be any weight and two are light.

I get that feeling all the time! For some reason, my mind insists that words with more than 3 syllables are not viable, no matter the reality.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

gestaltist wrote: 20 Nov 2017 17:26
DesEsseintes wrote: 20 Nov 2017 17:17 Do you ever get that stupidest of all conlanging feelings where you have some creeping suspicion that your language cannot possibly have enough different-sounding words to be functional? I know it’s utter nonsense but I get that feeling anyway and therefore I’m glad to say that I’ve managed to rid myself of it permanently with regards to Híí:

I get that feeling all the time! For some reason, my mind insists that words with more than 3 syllables are not viable, no matter the reality.
Yeah, it’s not like you speak Italian or Polish or sth, with words like chiacchiererebbero and osiemdziesięciolatek mucking around. [xD]
xroox
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by xroox »

I've worked on the verb p, 'to do', in Deinau. As a main verb, it has been replaced in all of its inflected forms with the verb ·ir, 'to make', being used only for non-inflected forms as suppletives. It is also the most used of the light verbs, the other two of them, map and pa, are actually derived from it. The verb pa has fused the transitive suffix -a into the verb root, and is now used as intransitive. The verb map is a fusion of the verb into the noun 'word', becoming a derivative suffix (there are incorporated nouns, but they work in other ways). It has also become an auxiliary verb for hearsay evidentiality. The difference between all these forms can be seen below:

Bal báśaŋŋigu ·írdu.
ERG-1 CL-clay.pot-INDF.ACC make-PFV.REC
I just made a clay pot.

Bal ·pì baśaŋŋigu pagdu.
ERG-1 do.REL CL-clay.pot-INDF.ABS break-PFV.REC
The claypot I made just broke.

Is màrir pùŋŋalot?
ACC-2 help do-NMZ-INTER-POT
May i help you?

Ŋil daal pàŋŋalot?
DAT-1 heart do-INTR-NMZ-INTER-POT
Can you remember me?

Bas ·donmaak mapùŋŋalot?
ERG-2 truth word-do-NMZ-INTER-POT
Can you assure me that?

·Ésil ànannantukpaa ŋi blaampu.
Esil CL-orphan-OBL.PL DAT money-do-PFV.REM
Esil donated to the orphans.

·Ésil ànannantukpaa ŋi blaapa maampu.
Esil CL-orphan-OBL.PL DAT money-do-SUF word-do-PFV.REM
Esil donated to the orphans, they say.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

I think I may have finally found the consonant system to go with the vowel inventory /iə ɯə uɵ e ɤ o a ɒ/: /t̪ tʂ cç kʷ ʔ ɬ̪ ʂ h n̪ ɺ˞ j w/. Only problem is now I've split the vowels into ablauting pairs which I'm trying to co-opt into a system for marking grammatical case that I've no idea how to make feel natural, and I'm still not settled on the romanisation [:'(]

You know I get that so much as well, which is pretty ironic considering our love of minimal phonology!
Void
sinic
sinic

Post by Void »

I organise my lexicon in an Excel spreadsheet. Today, this is my accomplishment.

vádh [ʋa:ð]

1. tooth (hard structure in the mouth)

2. penis (colloquial)
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

/pʰaː˧˥/ n. man
Pretty! But now I feel compelled to make a complimentary version in Vingdagese since I don't have a word for that yet.
Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval »

Finally got around to figuring out how definiteness and specificity work in Ythnandosian. At least I hope so.

(“What did you eat?”)
Mẓo-∅ ze-pàŋ-∅ mir-za-ṣ-∅-∅.
cooked-ABS SPEC-fish-ABS eat-3-1-PFV-PST
/m.ʑo ze.pɑ̀ŋ miɹ.zɑɕ/
“I ate a/the fish.”

(“What did you eat?”)
Mẓo-∅ pàŋ-∅ mir-za-ṣ-∅-∅.
cooked-ABS fish-ABS eat-3-1-PFV-PST
/m.ʑo pɑ̀ŋ miɹ.zɑɕ/
“I ate some fish (but I don’t remember which).”

(“Did you notice I made fish?”)
Mẓo-∅ -pàŋ-∅ mir-za-ṣ-∅-∅.
cooked-ABS DEF-fish-ABS eat-3-1-PFV-PST
/m.ʑo kɑ̀.pɑ̀ŋ miɹ.zɑɕ/
“I ate the (same) fish.”

Mẓo-∅ ze-pàŋ-∅ mir-za-ṣ-∅-∅.
cooked-ABS SPEC-fish-ABS eat-3-1-PFV-PST
/m.ʑo ze.pɑ̀ŋ miɹ.zɑɕ/
“I ate a (different) fish.”

Mẓo-∅ pàŋ-∅ mir-za-ṣ-∅-∅.
cooked-ABS fish-ABS eat-3-1-PFV-PST
/m.ʑo pɑ̀ŋ miɹ.zɑɕ/
“I ate a/some fish (but I don’t know if it’s the same).”
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

Void wrote: 21 Nov 2017 00:021. tooth (hard structure in the mouth)

2. penis (colloquial)
I see what you did there... [;)]
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 21 Nov 2017 00:39

/pʰaː˧˥/ n. man
Pretty! But now I feel compelled to make a complimentary version in Vingdagese since I don't have a word for that yet.
More gifts Thrice!
/ɕiːŋ˨˩/ n. - finger
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

I added 86 noun classifier suffixes to the Khulls lexicon .... This sounds like way too much, and it is, but they'll merge into a dozen or so just with existing phonotactic rules, so I plan to keep each entry separate so I can more easily remember the composite etymologies.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Void
sinic
sinic

Post by Void »

I have finally finished writing proper descriptions for all of the nouns (835 in total) in my lexicon. This was so tedious, wow.

And now I've to do 349 verbs and 132 adjectives. yay.
OTʜᴇB wrote: 21 Nov 2017 17:46
Void wrote: 21 Nov 2017 00:021. tooth (hard structure in the mouth)

2. penis (colloquial)
I see what you did there... [;)]
yes i wasn't very proud of that
Solarius
roman
roman

Post by Solarius »

I made a bit of a minimalistic phonemic inventory which I'm quite pleased with.

Of course, as it turns out it's nigh-identical to Tuscarora. [:$]
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Solarius wrote: 23 Nov 2017 13:11 I made a bit of a minimalistic phonemic inventory which I'm quite pleased with.

Show us!!! Tuscarora = [<3]
Solarius
roman
roman

Post by Solarius »

DesEsseintes wrote: 23 Nov 2017 13:44
Solarius wrote: 23 Nov 2017 13:11 I made a bit of a minimalistic phonemic inventory which I'm quite pleased with.

Haha sure! I wasn't kidding!

/t t͡s k ʔ θ s h n ɾ l j w/<t ts k ' th s h n r l y w>
/i i: e e: a a: u u:/<i ii e ee a aa u uu>
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Solarius wrote: 23 Nov 2017 14:06
DesEsseintes wrote: 23 Nov 2017 13:44

Haha sure! I wasn't kidding!

/t t͡s k ʔ θ s h n ɾ l j w/<t ts k ' th s h n r l y w>
/i i: e e: a a: u u:/<i ii e ee a aa u uu>
Nice. Any interesting distributions we should be aware of? In Tuscarora t͡s and θ are allophones of the same phoneme iirc, and of course, having both a rhotic and a lateral sets your lang well apart. I’d be interested to see how you develop this. Phonotactics etc. [:)]
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

In the spirit of Qwed's characters, I have created a pair of my own:

rya(n.) man, person

poyng(n.) finger, toe, digit
Void
sinic
sinic

Post by Void »

I've created a word that I'm rather proud of: vuljar [ˈʋuljɑr]

I don't know why, but I really liked this word, so I gave it some cool meanings:

1. sovereign (entity, usually a person, which is not a subject to a ruler or nation)
2. overlord (entity, usually a person, with overarching power or authority in a given domain)
3. arbiter, judge (person or object having the power of judging and determining, or ordaining, without control)
4. bishop, hierarch, consecrator (official of a place of worship, usually church; supervisor of priests and congregations)
5. hegemon (dominating force or leader)
6. arch-, supreme- (greatest in something; independent; as a compound modifier, usually vulj-)

Basically equivalent to Russian владыка [vlɐˈdɨkə].