What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

LinguistCat wrote: 05 Dec 2017 13:58 I have worked out a good portion of back story for a D&D character for a campaign starting... probably after the new year.
I am intensely jealous! I have wanted to play DnD for a long time and just don't know anyone near me who plays. I am saddened. I may just lurk at a local gaming store and see if I can't join up with a group that comes in there on the regular. I'm just... not all that social with folks I don't know.
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 06 Dec 2017 08:44
LinguistCat wrote: 05 Dec 2017 13:58 I have worked out a good portion of back story for a D&D character for a campaign starting... probably after the new year.
I am intensely jealous! I have wanted to play DnD for a long time and just don't know anyone near me who plays. I am saddened. I may just lurk at a local gaming store and see if I can't join up with a group that comes in there on the regular. I'm just... not all that social with folks I don't know.
I was going to suggest looking into roll20, since it's online and doesn't require meatspace friends. But then you'd still need people online to do things. I think it offers a way to find parties, but that doesn't help if being social with strangers is hard.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

eldin raigmore wrote: 05 Dec 2017 01:11 I got out of bed, got dressed, thought really hard about leaving the apartment, got undressed, and went back to bed.
gestaltist wrote: 05 Dec 2017 10:53 I envy you. I was 12 hours at work yesterday, and today doesn't look much better. Coming here for a few minutes is all the rest I'm going to get today.
DesEsseintes wrote: 05 Dec 2017 15:03 The grass is just always so much greener...
(@gestaltist): Yeah, what DesEsseintes says. I think I'd rather be able to work.
I suffered a little from S.A.D. every winter while I lived in Texas; but it really took off when I started trying to make it through Michigan's winters!
I'm glad to see that, since my "got out of bed" post, more people are posting accomplishments much more brag-about-able than that one!
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

eldin raigmore wrote: 06 Dec 2017 20:19
eldin raigmore wrote: 05 Dec 2017 01:11 I got out of bed, got dressed, thought really hard about leaving the apartment, got undressed, and went back to bed.
gestaltist wrote: 05 Dec 2017 10:53 I envy you. I was 12 hours at work yesterday, and today doesn't look much better. Coming here for a few minutes is all the rest I'm going to get today.
DesEsseintes wrote: 05 Dec 2017 15:03 The grass is just always so much greener...
(@gestaltist): Yeah, what DesEsseintes says. I think I'd rather be able to work.
I suffered a little from S.A.D. every winter while I lived in Texas; but it really took off when I started trying to make it through Michigan's winters!
I'm glad to see that, since my "got out of bed" post, more people are posting accomplishments much more brag-about-able than that one!
Sorry to hear that. As a Pole, I can relate to depressing winters all too well.

Obviously, I wouldn't want to not have my job. It pays well, the people are great, and I feel accomplished. But after yet another 12-hour workday, it can be hard to be thankful...
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

I am about to change the system of plural marking in Ular. Before it was done by reduplication (facultative for inanimate nouns). Now I want to change it to plural classifiers, i.e. similar to Chinese measure words, you have particles dedicated to mark plural of a certain class. So far I've got the following:

táng - plural word for humans
păn - plural word for plants
lhā - plural word for big mammals
thăw - plural word for buildings

I don't want a system that is as exhaustive as Chinese's measure word system, but on the other hand I don't want a general classifier like 个 either. Students of Ular shall suffer. [}:D]
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

The phoneme inventory of a new conlang. The thing is meant to be distantly related to Kartvelian, like Hesperic is related to IE, though at a greater time depth.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

LinguistCat wrote: 06 Dec 2017 15:11
Thrice Xandvii wrote: 06 Dec 2017 08:44
I was going to suggest looking into roll20, since it's online and doesn't require meatspace friends. But then you'd still need people online to do things. I think it offers a way to find parties, but that doesn't help if being social with strangers is hard.
It's not so much that being social (with strangers) is hard, its just that I like to have at least one person as an "in" to the group. Just walking up to a group of strangers who all presumably know each other somewhat is the issue. Also, I have thought about on-line options, but I don't think i'd enjoy that option nearly as much. Oh well. I might just pop over to the group this next Wednesday and see, IIRC, that was when some of the D&D folks met.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

I made a Núta sentence:

Arınyukwawaterúkserı kú·ru̇hsa.
You and I hunted and caught a warbane.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Núta now has a rough verb template outline and seriously serial verb stems! Noun incorporation is not going to be a feature apart from some vestigial nominal class stuff which exists in my head but has to be worked out. So altogether I’m pretty pleased with the progress I’m making.

Except.

I suddenly want to ditch the minimal four-vowel /a e i u/ system I have and replace it with something Sōkoan/Korean. Nine consonant phonemes and nine vowel phonemes sounds really tempting all of a sudden. I haven’t put this in the yea or nay thread because I’m afraid.
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

DesEsseintes wrote: 10 Dec 2017 11:07 I suddenly want to ditch the minimal four-vowel /a e i u/ system I have and replace it with something Sōkoan/Korean. Nine consonant phonemes and nine vowel phonemes sounds really tempting all of a sudden.
Do it - the vowel thing. Worst case, its a dialect, right?
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Keenir wrote: 10 Dec 2017 14:42
DesEsseintes wrote: 10 Dec 2017 11:07 I suddenly want to ditch the minimal four-vowel /a e i u/ system I have and replace it with something Sōkoan/Korean. Nine consonant phonemes and nine vowel phonemes sounds really tempting all of a sudden.
Do it - the vowel thing. Worst case, its a dialect, right?
Indeed. And I always wanted a dialect with nasal and rhotic vowels. We'll see.

Meanwhile, I think there may be a very thin line between /w j/ and /u i/. This is apparent in some verb derivation.

nıw + enıwe
nıw + rısnwırıs

This is easily explained if we consider the Proto-Núta form to be *niu with u → w intervocalically. Diachronically then, this happens:

*niu + e → nıwe
*niu + ris → *njyris → nwırıs
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

DesEsseintes wrote: 10 Dec 2017 11:07 Núta now has a rough verb template outline and seriously serial verb stems! Noun incorporation is not going to be a feature apart from some vestigial nominal class stuff which exists in my head but has to be
I suddenly want to ditch the minimal four-vowel /a e i u/ system I have and replace it with something Sōkoan/Korean. Nine consonant phonemes and nine vowel phonemes sounds really tempting all of a sudden. I haven’t put this in the yea or nay thread because I’m afraid.
I like compromises, so why not both phonemic /a e i u/, but allophonically all the fun of Korean vowels?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

So this new (still nameless) polysynthetic language I'm working on has increased in size, and has seen a couple of alterations from the initial vision (for example, ablaut is no longer found in nominal case marking, while verbs are now polypersonal and mark for aspect with regular reduplication and vowel ablaut). And now I have enough vocabulary to give you example sentences!

lhilhitalaṭunlhuos.
[ɬ̪eɬ̪etʲalaʈoŋɬ̪ʊ̯ɵsʲ]
CS-lhit-al-a-ṭun-lhuos
PROG-join-REP-ANI-RECP-2/3pauc
I hear they're getting married

neknepsinenthekṣata.
[ŋɤkŋɤpsʲeŋɤŋt̪ɤkʂatʲa]
Cek-nep-sin-enth-ek-ṣa-ta
INC-carry-FUT-NEG-2-BENF-1s.SUBJ
I'm not going to give (it) to you.

lokasluluokaluoṣaxol.
[lɒkasʲlolʊ̯ɵkalʊ̯ɵʂaxɒl]
lokas-CS-luk-al-uo-ṣa-xol
salmon-PROG-cook-REP-1-BENF-DESID
(S)he wants to cook us some salmon for dinner.

Note that the lhit-ṭun, nep-ṣa and luok-ṣa combinations are lexicalised.
Last edited by Frislander on 16 Dec 2017 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
Davush
greek
greek

Post by Davush »

Frislander wrote: 10 Dec 2017 19:40 So this new (still nameless) polysynthetic language I'm working on has increased in size, and has seen a couple of alterations from the initial vision (for example, ablaut is no longer found in nominal case marking, while verbs are now polypersonal and mark for aspect with regular reduplication and vowel ablaut). And now I have enough vocabulary to give you example sentences!
Trying to read those examples along with the IPA was dizzying... [:D] (probably in a good way!).

I managed to tidy up how verbs are inflected for tense in Qutrussan. Hopefully not too many changes should be needed now. I actually want to write a reference grammar-style document some point soon.
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Reduced the dictionary of Khulls from ~3000 to ~360 words. I want only words with solid etymologies from now on ,even though it means scrapping a lot of earlier work.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

I've been playing around with the idea that I thought up after watching a David Peterson Ytube video: what if pretonic vowels were deleted wholesale in a romance conlang? I've asked around before and was shown an example in Portuguese where pretonic unstressed vowels often become silent or even elided in fast speech. So I decided to try to simulate these changes and see what would happen if they indeed became phonemically lost.

The first thing I've noticed is how nonconcatenative the morphology becomes. Take the VL word "sapere," where in one conjugation has pretonic stress and the other has initial stress (I know it doesn't — roll with me.)

Example:

ˈsaperɛ -> ˈsaper --> ˈsaber
saˈperɛ -> sɐˈperɛ -> ˈspeɾɛ

Another thing I noticed is by deleting pretonic vowels, the stress shifts to first syllable in most words (which can be easily become all words thru analogy). This is radically different from most romance languages where stress tends to fall on the last or second to last syllable.

Additionally I suspect this type of sound change to radically alter the verbal conjugation of Proto-Romance. Perhaps it could be a way to gain triconsonantal roots, like in Arabic. I have to toy with it more. I don't know if I'd apply this to a real romlang though, especially since I am already working on my agglutinative Pelsodian, but it is a fun idea nonetheless.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
GaloCuevas
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by GaloCuevas »

I have joined this amazing forum.
Before that, I have created the grammatic articles for my language, after consulting my root languages (Norwegian, German, Dutch, English, Irish, French, Italian, Catalan, Spanish (my mother tongue [:D] ) and Portuguese), developing roots, and writing them on my spreadsheets.

Definite:

s.f. la /la/
s.m. lo /lo/
p.f. le /le/
p.m. li /li/

Indefinite:

s.f. ena /eNa/
s.m. en /eN/
p.f. enas /eNaz/
p.m. ens /eNz/

Negative article (like Dutch geen or Norwegian ikke)

ican /ikaN/
[tick] :esp: :mex: :gbr: :usa: :bra:
[maybe] :es-ca: :fra: :ita: :es-pv: :nld: :deu: :dan: :irl: :sco: :pol: :cze: :ukr: :rus: :ell: :ara: :epo: :lat:
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Ælfwine wrote: 11 Dec 2017 00:52

The first thing I've noticed is how nonconcatenative the morphology becomes. Take the VL word "sapere," where in one conjugation has pretonic stress and the other has initial stress (I know it doesn't — roll with me.)

Example:

Another thing I noticed is by deleting pretonic vowels, the stress shifts to first syllable in most words (which can be easily become all words thru analogy). This is radically different from most romance languages where stress tends to fall on the last or second to last syllable.

You might like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romagnol_dialect , where massive syncope caused consonant clusters and ablaut. Not much info online in English, though.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I just spent an absurdly long time organizing, uploading, re-organizing, sorting, re-naming, and re-uploading a vast array of characters for the overhaul of Shitullian. The new version has about twice as many vowels, which complicates the system that was in use. Now, I had to innovate some new vowel signs to use to alter the inherent vowels of the base glyphs. I also had to figure out how to create a template that could be used to overlay an image over another. Once I did that, I had to then create a template to use said feature. Then, of course, I had to experiment a fair bit. The result? Three easy to use templates that allow me to construct any word or phrase I want in the language complete with movable vowel signs! Plus, it looks kinda cool too!

My favorite glyph so far is for "pfrg" /p͜ɸɹ̩g/.

Last edited by Thrice Xandvii on 11 Dec 2017 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Pabappa wrote: 11 Dec 2017 01:51
Ælfwine wrote: 11 Dec 2017 00:52

Example:

You might like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romagnol_dialect , where massive syncope caused consonant clusters and ablaut. Not much info online in English, though.
I keep thinking to myself, "this is a Romance language?" It looks ugly as sin and has so many vowels it makes Danish blush. However, it does give me a good idea on the extent that a Romance language can go.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd