What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by qwed117 »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 25 Nov 2017 00:22 In the spirit of Qwed's characters, I have created a pair of my own:

rya(n.) man, person

poyng(n.) finger, toe, digit
Really pretty. They're sooo much better than mine (of course the fact that I'm using a san-serif font probably is part of the reason)
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

qwed117 wrote: 25 Nov 2017 00:33 Really pretty. They're sooo much better than mine (of course the fact that I'm using a san-serif font probably is part of the reason)
I don't know that 'better' is the right word, but they certainly are different.

Is the inspiration clear enough without being too similar?
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

I realised that I need to add quite a lot of new rhymes to my Híí bank, as I haven’t listed glottal stop + stop clusters, and I’m contemplating permitting sequences such as nn’ ss’, so that’s on my to-do list now.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Double post!!

A little sketch of sth with /a e i u/, Mohawk consonants and some Cheyenne and Oneida morfofo. The suffix, in case it’s not clear, is -hse.

núta → nutá·se
ártsıwı → artsıwí·se
núne → núnu̇hse
érwete → erwétėhse
ní·warıte → nihwarítsisse

It looks pretty but I’ve no idea yet what it’s supposed to be.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

DesEsseintes wrote: 25 Nov 2017 16:13 I realised that I need to add quite a lot of new rhymes to my Híí bank, as I haven’t listed glottal stop + stop clusters, and I’m contemplating permitting sequences such as nn’ ss’, so that’s on my to-do list now.
Do you mean rimes?
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

gestaltist wrote: 27 Nov 2017 11:22
DesEsseintes wrote: 25 Nov 2017 16:13 I realised that I need to add quite a lot of new rhymes to my Híí bank, as I haven’t listed glottal stop + stop clusters, and I’m contemplating permitting sequences such as nn’ ss’, so that’s on my to-do list now.
Do you mean rimes?
I refuse to use that awful spelling, as I actually stated before. Not that I’d expect you to know that, obviously.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

DesEsseintes wrote: 27 Nov 2017 11:34
gestaltist wrote: 27 Nov 2017 11:22
Do you mean rimes?
I refuse to use that awful spelling, as I actually stated before. Not that I’d expect you to know that, obviously.
Good thing you don't live up north!

Also that you aren't a ladderwright.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

DesEsseintes wrote: 27 Nov 2017 08:28 Double post!!

A little sketch of sth with /a e i u/, Mohawk consonants and some Cheyenne and Oneida morfofo. The suffix, in case it’s not clear, is -hse.

núta → nutá·se
ártsıwı → artsıwí·se
núne → núnu̇hse
érwete → erwétėhse
ní·warıte → nihwarítsisse

It looks pretty but I’ve no idea yet what it’s supposed to be.
This is growing. I’m now looking more to Caddo for ideas on tone and how glottals get deleted after lengthening vowels and such. Did a table of clusters. Very Iroquoian. Fun fun.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I added some more examples to the post on possession in Omlueuet. This leaves the part-whole relationships yet to be added.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Ive been working on the noun declension tables for Khulls, as I mentioned earlier. I want to post a chart soon in the hopes that it might be itneresting to someone who wants to make noun declensions that have the appeal of PIE but in an a priori language. More to the point, someone who wants to know how to get from 100% agglutinative to fusional without making it look fake by deliebrately messing with the inflections to make them look more random.

găna "pineapple"
NOM găna
ACC gaṗ
LOC ganâ
GEN ganī
INSTR ganō

etc. This declension originally also had a locative in -ġʷ, but since the locative for the "fruit" noun class likely wouldnt be used that much, I analogized it based on other similar-sounding endings. Yet the original -ġʷ was perfectly regular and predictable from the sound changes all Khulls words went through.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
shanoxilt
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by shanoxilt »

I made a small poem in Sajem Tan today.

/ʒu xænønfɛ ɮo.
duʒeku tænfɛ.
duku snæmdɑsun.
ɮokɑm xænønfɛ.
ɮo mændɑ det͡s ʒu.
kæsynɛt sin du./

I'm unsure of the gloss, but here is a rough translation:

They greet you.
What will you talk about?
What will be given?
You greet with them.
You thanked them.
May this recur.
Click here to join the Common Honey server. Or click here for a general glossopoeia server.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Found a solution to my agglutinative romlang's nominal declension. Before I wanted to get rid of gender while keeping the nominative and accusative forms distinct. So what I did was place the article before the noun in the accusative, like most Romance languages, but after the noun in the nominative, like Romanian and Aromanian. Furthermore the definite article is regularized to become "el" from illu/illa mostly due to the early loss of final vowels. No gender, agglutinative structure, just like Hungarian! (And Cappadochian Greek...)
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

Although to have Latin-style numbered noun declensions in Lihmelinyan would be untenable, I have decided to class the stem types with Roman numerals and letters for closely related types:

a - masculine thematics (a-stems)
Ib - neuter thematics (a-stems)
IIa - ā-stem feminines
IIb - ī-stem feminines
IIIa - masc/fem i-stems
IIIb - neuter i-stems
IVa - masc/fem u-stems
IVb - neuter u-stems
Va - masc/fem n, r, l-stems (asigmatic nominative consonant stems)
Vb - neuter consonant stems
Vc - masc/fem sigmatic nominative consonant stems
VI - diphthong stems

Don't even get me started on how to organize the verb stems...
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Systematically went through all the possible vowel sandhi outcomes in Proto-Núta, then applied a simple vowel shift to obtain the vowel sandhi rules for Modern Núta, which are rather unpredictable. I’m hoping to start posting on the language soon, but just for fun, here are two of the less predictable outcomes:

a + u → ye
ı + ı → yu
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Have been translating a short text in Caelian ("My house" on this board), suddenly it stroke me that the word order was just wrong all along. Before it was

Indefinite Article - Noun

Which was totally against every oder principle in the language. Hence I changed it to

Noun - Indefinite Article.

Oh and I implemented a somewhat restricted case declension to the indefinite articles.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

I've started a new language with a weird phonology, and also boasting a paucal number as well as the typical Papuan syncretism of second and third person non-singular... but not much else. I do know however that I'm gonna try and incorporate good amounts of irregularity, and I even fancy trying out some discontinuous stems à la Athabaskan. Also this conlang will I think mark my return to full polysynthesis if it takes off, you may be pleased to hear.

I'm thinking I might want to build up its basic vocabulary for Lexember but honestly I don't know if I'm even gonna have the time - I go back home from Cambridge tomorrow and this evening I'm probably gonna be totally shitfaced because of the Selwyn Snowball. And progress on said complex morphology is at present grindingly slow, so some of the most important aspects may not be determined for a few days yet.

-----------------------
DesEsseintes wrote: 01 Dec 2017 14:25 Systematically went through all the possible vowel sandhi outcomes in Proto-Núta, then applied a simple vowel shift to obtain the vowel sandhi rules for Modern Núta, which are rather unpredictable. I’m hoping to start posting on the language soon, but just for fun, here are two of the less predictable outcomes:

a + u → ye
ı + ı → yu
Ooh, delicious!
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Aided by a creative outburst while I was listening to some music, I drew the (near-)perfect picture for my Conlang Cards this year.
The only thing I have to do is to exchange some buildings and add some text (and re-draw it in ink).
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

I finished updating and revising my dictionary for Gotski. I now have 428 entries and counting! (this is by far my best developed conlang and lexicon)
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

I decided to loosen up the stress rules for Shonkasika. While most words of all classes are stressed on the penultimate syllable, I'm allowing for nouns and adjectives to be stressed on the ultima and the penultimate syllable. I decided to modify my orthography and declension rules to account for the changes.

Spelling:
If the vowel normally does not have a diacritical mark, it receives an acute accent: a > á
If the vowel normally has a circumflex accent, it exchanged it for a grave accent: â > à
If the vowel normally has a diaeresis, the vowel is written twice: ä > ää
If the vowel is part of the diphthong, the non-high vowel (i.e, not <i/u>) receives the accent mark: ai > ái

Declensions and stress types:
Most nouns and adjectives are stressed on the penultimate syllable in all forms. The stress shifts to always fall on the penultimate syllable when suffixes are added for declension.
Some nouns and adjectives are stressed on the ultima, or last syllable. The stress shifts to always fall on the last syllable, even when syllables are added.
Other nouns and adjectives are stressed on the antepenultimate syllable. As suffixes are added, stress shifts to maintain the stress on the antepenultimate syllable.
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

I finalized a sketch of the diachronics of Nakarian (temporary name). It's messy and needs refinement but it's enough to participate in Lexember.

I doubt anybody would have the patience but in case you're very bored, here are the sound changes in SCA2's format:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

K=ptʈkɸsʂxhmnɳŋ∂rɭ
A=aeiou18
G=bdɖgβzʐɣɦmnɳŋ∂rɭ
Ć=ŧʦʧcθɕɕɕȷǹrɲɲ∂ll
Ź=đʣʤɟðʑʑʑjǹrɲɲ∂ll
T=tsnrŧθðǹʦdzʣ∂l
R=ʈʂɳɽʈʂʐɳʧɖʐʤʤɭ
F=tʈksʂnɳ∂rɭdɖzʐʧcȷʤɟðɽ
J=ŧtkθsǹn∂rlđdðzʦʨɕʣʥlr
Ǝ=əɤɯou29
Y=aeiou18əɤɯou29
C=ptkɸsxhmnŋ∂rbdgβzɣɦŧʦcθɕȷǹɲlđʣɟðʑj
X=ptkbdgt͜sʦʣʧʤʨʥŧđ∂cɟ
S=ɸsxβzɣθðɕȷʑj
Ś=pʦkbʣgɸβʨɕʥʑ
Ť=ŧđǹθð
E=1289
I=iɤuɯ
V=ɤɯɨəaeiou
B=bdgđʣɟ∂
N=mnŋǹ?ɲ?
P=pbmɸw
Z=trnsl

ɸ|f

d͜ʒ|∂
ɾ|r
ɛ|e
i̯|1
u̯|8
a̤|aH
e̤|eH
i̤|iH
o̤|oH
ṳ|uH

t͜s|ʦ
d͜z|ʣ
ʈ͜ʂ|ʧ
ɖ͜ʐ|ʤ
t͜ɕ|ʨ
d͜ʑ|ʥ
t̪|ŧ
d̪|đ
n̪|ǹ
j̥|ȷ
a˞|ã
i˞|ĩ
o˞|õ
u˞|ũ
ɤ̯|2
ɯ̯|9
ɨ̯|3

-- Breathy voiced marked with "H"

-- Simplifying diphthongs for convenience
ɔ/o/_
ʊ/u/_

-- Merging words
-//_

-- Nasal POA assimilation
[nɳŋ]/m/_[pɸmh]
[nɳŋ]/m/[pɸmh]_

[mɳŋ]/n/_[tsn∂r]
[mɳŋ]/n/[tsn∂r]_

[mnŋ]/ɳ/_[ʈʂɳɭ]
[mnŋ]/ɳ/[ʈʂɳɭ]_

[mnɳ]/ŋ/_[kxŋ]
[mnɳ]/ŋ/[kxŋ]_

-- Intervocalic voicing
K/G/A(H)_A

-- Diphthong simplification
a1/e/_
a8/o/_

K1/Ć/_
G1/Ź/_

-- Disappearance of breathy voice with compensatory voicing of preceding consonant
K/G/_A(A)H
Ć/Ź/_A(A)H
H//_

-- Retroflex spreading
T/R/_…R
T/R/R…_
/ɽ/A_…R/_[rɽY]
/ɽ/R…A_/_[rɽY]
-- (recursion)
T/R/_…R
T/R/R…_
/ɽ/A_…R/_[rɽY]
/ɽ/R…A_/_[rɽY]
-- (recursion)
T/R/_…R
T/R/R…_
/ɽ/A_…R/_[rɽY]
/ɽ/R…A_/_[rɽY]

-- Coda stop lenition
[ptʈkŧʦʧc]/ʔ/_[#FG]

-- Disappearance of retroflexes and some other changes
F/J/_

-- Disappearance of postvocalic r
Ar/Ǝ/_/_Y

-- Reduction of schwa in some positions with strengthening of previous schwa
ə/ɤ/_CəCY/Y_
ə//YC_CY

-- Loss of voiced fricatives other than ɦ
β/8/[aeio]_[C#]
β/u/C_#
β/w/_
z/r/_#
z/s/_
ɣ/w/_[ou]
ɣ/w/[ou8]_
ɣ/ɦ/_
ð/ɦ/_[#C]
ð/đ/_
ʑ/ʥ/Y_Y
ʑ/j/_C
ʑ/ɕ/_

-- Low tone on word-final closed syllables [tonogenesis]
/˨/_C#/_ʔ#

-- Elision of word-final vowels
V//V…_#/C[C138]_

-- Epenthesis in word-final affricates
[ʣ∂]/ʣɯ/_#

-- Palatalization of dż in other positions
∂/ʥ/_

-- Glottal stop subsumed in clusters
X/X²/ʔ_
S/Ś/ʔ_
ʔ//_[XŚ]

-- Dental POA assimilation
Ť/Ť²/V_Ť
Ť//Ť²_

-- Disappearance of glottal stop [tonogenesis]
/˦/_ʔ#
ʔ//_

-- Disappearance of h in clusters [tonogenesis]
/˦/Y_h[C#]
/˦/Y_Ch
h//_C
h//C_
h//_#

-- Disappearance of ɦ in clusters [tonogenesis]
/˨/Y_ɦ[C#]
/˨/Y_Cɦ
ɦ//_C
ɦ//C_
ɦ//_#

-- Disappearance of r in clusters [tonogenesis]
/˨/Y_r[C#]
/˨/Y_Cr
r//_C
r//C_
r//_#

-- Syllabification/simplification of diphthongs next to clusters (creation of V(C) syllables)
o8/u/_[˨˦]C[C#]
o8/u/CC_
E/I/_[˨˦]C[C#]
E/I/CC_

-- Lenition of some syllable-final consonants
B/N/Y_[C#]/_²
[ɸθs]/h/_[C#]

-- Loss of dental-alveolar distinction and Samhan influence
k/q/_(k)[ɤəaeo]
ʨ/k/_/_(ʨ)[ie1]
ʥ/g/_/_(ʥ)[ie1]
ɕ/x/_/_(ɕ)[ie1]