What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by elemtilas »

Linguifex wrote:
elemtilas wrote:Lastly, all the pages had to be renumbered, since they're now in a completely different order! I think the end result looks pretty good, if I do say so myself!
Share a picture please?
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4585&p=249928#p249928
I brought the lexicon of Proto-Taltic up from around 150 entries to 700.
Wow! [O.O] Certainly living up to your name!
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

elemtilas wrote:Finished ripping apart and entirely rebinding one of first books about / from The World that I ever made. Probably almost 25 years ago now!
Works from halcyon days gain a more hirquitallient voice -Huzzah~!

Your sticktoitiveness needs must inspire me, as I look about to corral and redact mine own 20-something 'children', jellical cats though they be.

'Tis to create, and in creating live
A being more intense, that we endow
With form our fancy, gaining as we give
The life we image, even as I do now.
What am I? Nothing: but not so art thou,
Soul of my thought! with whom I traverse earth,
Invisible but gazing, as I glow
Mix'd with the spirit, blended with thy birth,
And feeling still with thee in my nobler feelings' mirth

Lord Byron Childe Harold's Pilgrimage (last three words, Lambuzhao's emendation)
[;)]
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

I'm liking this revision of my Lexember '16 project vowels. Before, it was just 15 monophthongs thru 5 heights & rounding with straightforward length and the two blandest diphthongs. Currently the system is still large with 22 units, but the distribution is much better: 7 short and 3 long monophthongs & 6 short and 6 long diphthongs.
Furthermore, I fixed my consonant system. Before, I had English sans postalveolars with neater phonotactics. Currently, I've replaced the dental fricatives with a fuller set of linguolabials, which are odd but not that odd. The increased symmetry of the fricative-stop ratio is also pleasing.
Just gotta redo the incipient dictionary,
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

MrKrov wrote:I'm liking this revision of my Lexember '16 project vowels. Before, it was just 15 monophthongs thru 5 heights & rounding with straightforward length and the two blandest diphthongs. Currently the system is still large with 22 units, but the distribution is much better: 7 short and 3 long monophthongs & 6 short and 6 long diphthongs.
Can we see the old and new versions of that vowel system? [:)]
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

So the old vowels: I was never sure on (æ ɒ). Anyhow, boring.

/i y u
ɪ ʏ ʊ
e ø ə o
ɛ œ ɔ
(æ) a (ɒ)
a͡i a͡u/

New vowels not shown are for those SlideWing posts that never materialized. The teaser is the high and mid vowels have narrow diphthongs long and short in place of simple long vowels. ¡ uːʊ ! Spooky!
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

MrKrov wrote:SlideWing posts
That's the project name, I suppose?
¡ uːʊ ! Spooky!
Are you making stuff like i:ɪ y:ʏ to go with that, cos that would be a yay. Three(or more)-way length distinction /ɪ (i) i: i:ɪ/?
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

Why yes it is. And three is the most. Even spookier: Patience!
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

I'm starting a new project as I haven't actually touched any of my bits of conlang in ages. This one I'm calling "Project Mimil" until further notice and I'm taking some inspiration from Toki Pona and Japanese. It'll be a somewhat minimalist isolating language, but nowhere near as much as Toki Pona is.

At the moment I only have a phonology and phonotactics:
/ p b t d k ɡ / 〈 p b t d k g 〉
/ m w n ɾ l~ɫ ŋ j / 〈 m w n r l ŋ j 〉
/ i ɯ ɛ o æ / 〈 i u e o a 〉
Notice the lack of fricatives.
Syllable structure is CV(N/l) where C is any consonant, V is any vowel, and N is any nasal.
l > ɫ when in the coda
Onset is optional at the start of a word
A nasal can only precede (come before) a plosive of the same place of articulation.
Vowels are devoiced when between unvoiced consonants – e.g. 〈paten〉 is pronounced /pæ̥tɛn/. << Because Japanese and it sounds cool.
*wu, *ji, and *li are all invalid.
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
Dezinaa
greek
greek

Post by Dezinaa »

I figured out the clock system for Otvei, but I haven't made words for each term yet. It uses a 24-hour clock, with 6:00 am being the start of the day (0:00 in Otvei). I'm still using 60 seconds per minute and 60 minutes per hour to make conversion easier. I also divided the day into different sections.

24 hour period (day)

...subdivides into 12-hour periods:

6 am to 6 pm (daytime)
6 pm to 6 am (nighttime)

...subdivides into 6-hour periods:

6 am to 12 pm (morning)
12 pm to 6 pm (afternoon)
6 pm to 12 am (evening)
12 am to 6 am (night)

...subdivides into 3-hour periods:

6 am to 9 am (early morning)
9 am to 12 pm (late morning)
12 pm to 3 pm (early afternoon)
3 pm to 6 pm (late afternoon)
6 pm to 9 pm (early evening)
9 pm to 12 am (late evening)
12 am to 3 am (early night)
3 am to 6 am (late night)

Here's a picture (kind of large):
Spoiler:
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Having not conlanged in a while, I feel like picking up Sunbyaku again. I think this time I will not obsess over the specifics of diachronic phonology as much--I know that seems like a cop-out, but dealing with it is sometimes incredibly annoying as you have to keep in mind both the ancient forms and the modern forms. For someone like me who carefully crafts the look and feel of his languages, this can be an absolute pain in the ass. Notice how I basically ignored Proto-Pasuu after the first post of my Pazmat thread?

To be honest, I feel like I'm starting to fall away from conlanging. I feel like I'm going nowhere, and when off my medication I can never get any conlanging done unless I'm stuck in a classroom environment where I have nothing else to do. Sigh. I've also been on Discord way too much. This is true for every hobby of mine though...maybe not going to school was a bad idea.

As for going nowhere, that's mainly because I refuse to step out of my Indo-European comfort zone. I'm just too enamored with complex nominal case systems and heavily inflected and conjugated forms, along with lots of non-finite forms (and periphrastic constructions involving them, though funnily enough few of those are in Pazmar). Pazmat is pretty much my love letter to Indo-European morphology and honestly, whatever I do there is just retreading ground I already did in Pazmat!

But yes, Sunbyaku. I want to get slightly away from the Japanese-ness, but I only have a few ideas. To make things worse, most of them are just "make it more indo-european" which is...yeah. In addition, a lot of cool stuff in Japanese is off-limits because I don't want to be a rip-off. Some ideas are:

-mandatorily marked number on demonstratives (somewhat like Japanese using -ra for plural pronouns, though it sucks I can't use that). One of Sunbyaku's sister languages will have taken this so far that it has articles derived from demonstratives with plural forums). Unlike IE langs though the plural markers are not used when the demonstrative agrees with a noun, only when alone.

-a "future" tense formed from a suffix indicating possibility (i.e "it seems like it will run" eventually became "it will run"). Since that suffix didn't take a person marker, the future in Sunbyaku is not marked for person (Sunbyaku can make do like Japanese and just rely on context). For some reason, I want to make this marker -sou

-failing the above, a little more fusion in the markers. This might mean a dedicated set of irrealis or perhaps tense markers (maybe fusing the above future suffix onto the person markers).

-A more complex set of morphophonology akin to Japanese's onbin but with vowel changes as well; e.g Ca+iC > CeC², unless the -iC marker was historically *-yiC or -hiC or something, where the two vowels just exist in hiatus. Also, I'm going to introduce a few phonological restrictions and have morphophonology to get around them.

....Once again, I'm honestly not sure what the hell to do with this language .__. I can't sit down and corral all my ideas into a focused plan. But this consumes me. I will not feel complete until I finally DO THIS DAMMIT.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Dezinaa wrote:Here's a picture (kind of large):
Spoiler:
That I like! [:D]

Circular is the standard shape for calendars and clocks alike in the Eastlands(*). I did the (year) calendar ages ago, and now you've got me wanting to do a (day) calendar / clock.

NOTE: The era calendar isn't circular, though it could be in theory. Those look more like a game board for adders and chutes.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

...I've just realized that with a minor tweak to the new morphophonology rules I've made for Sunbyaku, I can derive an equivalent to Japanese's -ru verbs with it. Basically, internal hiatus verbs which end in -e or -o would suffix an epenthetic -r- or -y- between their themes:

hame-a-ri > hamerari > hamerri > hamēri
hame-u-ra > hamerura (or hamūra)
hame-e-mi > hameremi
hame-a-su > hamessu > hamezu
hame-a-ta > hametta
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

I now have 78cm of language!
As in my 20cm wide page of 10pt text is 100cm long and is 78cm full.

So far I have:
Phonology, Phonotactics, Basic Syntax and word order, 30 noun cases for a variety of uses, 8 articles, 3 plurals, 5 tenses, 13 aspects, 12 moods, far too many conjugations for the above tenses, aspects, and moods, and two little words for things like "Herd of Sheep"

Next up is Questions, Conjunctions, and the dreaded vocab.
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

^12 moods?! [O.O] I thought I had a lot with 6!
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

I accomplished nothing today...
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Brought Proto-Nyar Toler Kyana up to four hundred-something entries and worked out the descendant forms in Sisok Tlar Kyana. Got them all in a pair of spreadsheets and fixed a few mistakes in the bargain.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval »

I've been working much less on my conlangs than I used to a while ago, but I still conlang even for a little bit most days. In the last week I've been doing some sound changes from Classical Kauzic to Ythnandosian, and some of those sound changes involve the creation of nasalized vowels. I didn't feel I could reliably distinguish stuff like /on/ and /õn/, which I meant to keep distinct, so I used rhinoglottophilia as a (hopefully plausible) justification for changing those nasal vowels to creaky voice.
Now I'm stuck on whether or not to further change them to low tone, simply add the tone into the phonation, or do different things for different dialects. But for now I'll just move on to other general language changes and worry about the specifics when I get there.
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:^12 moods?! [O.O] I thought I had a lot with 6!
[xD]
I have:
Fact realis “this happened, certainly”
Assumed realis “this most likely happened, but I have no evidence it did”
Indifferent realis “this is said to have happened, but I have no evidence either way”
Assumed false realis “this most likely didn’t happen, but I have no evidence it didn’t”
False realis “this didn’t happen, certainly”

Subjunctive “this should happen”
Conditional “this would happen if _”
Imperative “I/you must do this”
Jussive “he/she/it/they must do this”
Potential “this might happen”
Allowed “this may happen”
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Yesterday, I *almost* finished writing a sheet of sample alphabets (containing the scripts of MS Hatton 38, MS Bodley 343, the Peterborough Chronicle, a charter of Henry I and a few capitals from the Eadwine Psalter) and I spent about 15 minutes writing a single sentence in West Saxon because the Wiktionary lacked the words I needed.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

So far today, I wrote about the Balloon War in the megathread.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma