gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by gestaltist »

DesEsseintes wrote: 14 Dec 2017 02:43
gestaltist wrote: 13 Dec 2017 17:55
DesEsseintes wrote: 13 Dec 2017 16:05 diatribe about own thought processes
Given that after reading this I wrote two pages' worth of ideas, I'd say it was immensely helpful. Thanks Des.
[:D]

I’m glad if it was helpful! Do share the morfofo you come up with.
You've never been not helpful. I miss the old IRC days. [:'(]

I'll probably post some of my ideas soon as I could use advice from people smarter than me. For now, I'll share a small tidbit of my sketch from yesterday which I found pretty cool.

Let's say you have stems ka (1), ka (2), kar (1), kar (2) - synchronically, versions 1 and 2 are identical. Then you have a suffix -o. As a result, you get:
ka1 + o = kao
ka2 + o = karo
kar1 + o = kao
kar2 + o = karo

The reason lies in diachronics, of course. ka1 has always been *ka but ka2 stems from *kat. Word final voiceless stops elided but when adding a suffix, *t underwent lenition instead, resulting in karo.
Conversely, kar1 comes from *kad - word final *d became r but *d lenited away completely between vowels, resulting in kao. kar2 has always been *kar and remains karo when suffixed.
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

Another griuskant book is published. This time, it is a translated storybook: vegler un roeter thiafbuanten, written entirely in griuskant. It is added to Frathwiki's conlanger bibliography.

As of now, griuskant shall be amongst conlangs with a translation of a literature source. [:D] [B)]
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Dormouse:

Take a look at some Old Norse poetry. It has many different arrangements based on syllabic weight. You won't be disappointed.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Ælfwine wrote: 14 Dec 2017 17:18 Dormouse:

Take a look at some Old Norse poetry. It has many different arrangements based on syllabic weight. You won't be disappointed.
Thank you for the tip. [:)] Looking into that now.
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

In my Uralic lang Vålkakil, there is Uralic root pån- 'to put' which is back-vocalic

påno 'puts'
pånë 'I put'
pånohk 'to put'

and a borrowed root from Slavonic pån- 'understand' which is front-vocalic

pånö 'understands'
påne 'I understand'
pånöhk 'to understand'

That is possible because low (central) vowels (a and å) are neutral for vowel harmony.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

My new conlang now has a name: Keṭ Lixuem [kɤʈ lexɯ̯əm], which translates as "this tongue". There's also been a shake-up of the aspectual system such that there is now an inflectional infix, and there's now even more reduplication in the language, such as the now productive diminutive and augmentative marking!

Also about half of the current list of body-pat terminology I wrote while I was rather pissed last night so yay, more lexical entries!
Omzinesý wrote: 16 Dec 2017 18:05 In my Uralic lang Vålkakil, there is Uralic root pån- 'to put' which is back-vocalic

påno 'puts'
pånë 'I put'
pånohk 'to put'

and a borrowed root from Slavonic pån- 'understand' which is front-vocalic

pånö 'understands'
påne 'I understand'
pånöhk 'to understand'

That is possible because low (central) vowels (a and å) are neutral for vowel harmony.
That's pretty damn cool, perhaps I should try doing a vowel-harmony language someday, maybe with an interesting atypical phonetic motivation like Mongolian or Chukchi.
Solarius
roman
roman

Post by Solarius »

Made a new language via some shallow diachronics. Like it a lot. Amusingly the 2nd person pronoun is /ju/.
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

I came up with a solution for representing hiatuses in Shonkasika that I'm satisfied with. The sequence, <hh>, which otherwise does not occur, will now be placed between two vowels that would otherwise form a diphthong. I didn't want to use diacritics since those are used to mark vowel quality or stress.

I also made a slight change to my definite dual and plural forms for nouns, which caused me to have to update a number of declension tables. Here are the new dual and plural endings by gender:
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!
Nortaneous
greek
greek

Post by Nortaneous »

niɲɤɬi jiɬ hɤɲ ⁿgɔ ɤrulɔ || ʔɔ ⁿdɤɲ kʰɤ ʔwes ɤleʔɯŋ | ʔɔ çinɔ ji ɤçɤcæɬilo || ʔɔ ɬilɔ ɤwɤɲji jæ ⁿbɔwusɔhæ || jæ wɔ n̥ɔ ɤmjɔlɔ ⁿgɔs tʰu wo ⁿdɤj || ʔɔ ɤwɤɲji m̥æjoⁿbɔsɔhæ | ⁿgɔ ɗo li ʔjɔ jæʔɯŋ li m̥æⁿbɔsɔhæ | ⁿdɤ cʰɯ ɗwi jiɬ ajtaw || ʔwe ɠom ⁿdɤ li m̥ɔⁿguⁿbɔɗɯsæ i ⁿdɤɲ ɗo jo sweʔ li | ɤⁿɟɔlelɔ ʔɔ ɤwɤɲlɔ kʰili liɬɔ ⁿdɤɲ ⁿgɔ joʔsæ hɤɲ ⁿgɔ rusæⁿbɔɗɯɬækʰi | li rɔɬjɔ ɯj çwi mirwæɬækʰi | m̥æⁿɟɔⁿbolesɔji tu hɤɲ ɯj ⁿdɤ li liɬɔ cʰɯwijisæ li m̥æⁿbohwinsɔ || ʔɔ ɠom liɬɔ ɤⁿboʔiɬirɔrɔlɔ | ⁿgɔ liɬɔ ⁿbɔsæ i jo i liɬɔ m̥ɔrɤmɤlɔ
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

I think I'm finally starting to figure out how to codify the ablaut patterns in Lihmelinyan. Essentially from strong stems to weak stems in nouns you have this:

e --> [deleted]
a --> e
a --> [deleted] in some situations
eu, we --> u
ei, ye --> i
ar, er, ra, re --> r̩
al, el, la, le -->l̩
long vowel --> short vowel

Also some sound changes:

dt --> tt
ds (intervocalically) --> z
nr --> ndr
mr --> mbr
kt --> ht

Some sound changes from IE to Lihmelinyan (in the grammatical endings that I've borrowed):

tH --> f
dʰH --> ž
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I have added two new nations to Pasithea and created four new flags. I have also created a new government type/economic system hybrid, which i am tentatively calling a Bonumactiocracy.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I'd like to see the flags! [:)]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Parlox wrote: 20 Dec 2017 05:38 .... I have .... created a new government type/economic system hybrid, which i am tentatively calling a Bonumactiocracy.
What's that? Sounds interesting!
Inkcube-Revolver
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Inkcube-Revolver »

I am officially on Winter Break! To commemorate the yuletide recess, I've been working on a conlang that gives me somewhat strange results based on the sound changes I have in place. For making it easier to show the differences in how related langs handle the changes shown, I will put them in bold and divide them with this bar: |

*núnu- > *nʷúnə- > mína- "to rise, to be tall, elevated, prominent" (stressed /u/ loses its labialization while giving it to the preceding /n/, but retains its height, changing both consonant and vowel).

This kind of process is very abundant in this conlang to the point that it's a regular system, but isn't 100% consistent. There are, of course, a few hiccups afoot.

Using the same root:
*menúnu > *mənʷúnɯ > mamúna "sun" | mamína "moon; star" (nature class)+("rise")

Here, the classifier prefix reinforces a labial shape for the vowel in one result, and the other disregards the preceding consonant.

*únunu "rose" (past) > *únɯnu > *únənu > únenu | únanu "rose"
*unúnu "to make rise" (causative) > *ɯnúnɯ > *ənúnə > enúne | anúna "to make rise, to raise, to lift"

And a second root to drive the idea home:

*pidi- "to stick out" > *pʲidɨ > *pʲuɾɨ > pura-
*gapída > *gapʲída > *gapʲíɾi > gatúra | giʃúri | gipúri | gábdi "head, neck; limb in general" (part of group)+("project")
or
*kapídi > *kapʲídɨ > kaʃúra | katúra "hand, finger, toe, digit" ; kapúra | kábdi "nose, ear"
ka- (tool/dimin.)+ -ʃura/-pura ("project")
/moʃˈʃaja ˈtwita iˈsagijasgalana/ "The Sun makes them all bend to him/it." "The Sun subjugates them all."

m-oʃʃaja t-wita isagi-jas-gal-ana

(nature class)+("rise") (people class)+("many") (CAUS "bend")+(3rd ps. sg.)+(3rs ps. pl OBJ)+(ALLATIVE SUB)
Sometimes, the present forms can look nothing like their roots, but it's been mostly a process on having regular sound changes in place. One of my favorites roots is currently:

*loko- "to fill" > *lʷəgo > lʷego | lwegu | dwego | dwegu | dwago | bagu

Tell me what'cha think!
I like my languages how I like my women: grammatically complex with various moods and tenses, a thin line between nouns and verbs, and dozens upon dozens of possible conjugations for every single verb.
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 20 Dec 2017 07:07 I'd like to see the flags! [:)]
eldin raigmore wrote: 20 Dec 2017 09:51
Parlox wrote: 20 Dec 2017 05:38 .... I have .... created a new government type/economic system hybrid, which i am tentatively calling a Bonumactiocracy.
What's that? Sounds interesting!
I will likely be making a thread for Pasithea soon. Nations, culture, history, maybe stories, flags, economic systems, and others will all feature there.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I have four letters in my seal bone script (written right to left):
Last edited by Ahzoh on 21 Dec 2017 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Inkcube-Revolver
cuneiform
cuneiform

Ahzoh; Those look really good! What letters are they? And what does the inscription on the right say?
I like my languages how I like my women: grammatically complex with various moods and tenses, a thin line between nouns and verbs, and dozens upon dozens of possible conjugations for every single verb.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Inkcube-Revolver wrote: 21 Dec 2017 19:29 Ahzoh; Those look really good! What letters are they? And what does the inscription on the right say?
As of the moment, the letters have no values, I will decide those once I have more letters and am satisfied with their forms. As such, the inscriptions are gibberish.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Inkcube-Revolver
cuneiform
cuneiform

Aw, alrighty. Based on how the inscription looks, is it going to be an abjad?
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

He could easily add some dots and things to add vowels, or modify consonants (or both). In fact, I think some extra flourishes above and below the letters would add a ton to the look of the script.