'S okay. [:)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

Came up with a functional example of the ergative case. Here you have the neuter noun "fésnan" meaning "stone, rock" in the ergative in the first sentence, and in the instrumental in the second sentence:

Fésnanza yégeman estaúnet. "The stone was blocking the road".

Yégems fésnah estaúnetar. "The road was [being] blocked by the stone".

I guess it's going to be pretty rare that any neuter noun appears in the ergative case, but it's there if you need it. [:P]
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 09 Aug 2018 19:38 Came up with a functional example of the ergative case. Here you have the neuter noun "fésnan" meaning "stone, rock" in the ergative in the first sentence, and in the instrumental in the second sentence:

I guess it's going to be pretty rare that any neuter noun appears in the ergative case, but it's there if you need it. [:P]
ok lol
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 09 Aug 2018 19:38 Came up with a functional example of the ergative case. Here you have the neuter noun "fésnan" meaning "stone, rock" in the ergative in the first sentence, and in the instrumental in the second sentence:

Cool!

Could you explain exactly what you meant by "functional" here?
k1234567890y wrote: 09 Aug 2018 22:20 ok lol
What's there to laugh at?
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

shimobaatar wrote: 10 Aug 2018 01:05 Could you explain exactly what you meant by "functional" here?

What's there to laugh at?
I just meant that up until now, the ergative case only existed in declension tables and I had not actually used it in any sentences (i.e. hadn't come up with any neuter nouns being used as subjects of transitive verbs).

And he was probably just commenting on the fact that I indicated it's not a particularly useful case as the incidence of usage is relatively rare (which may explain why the case died out in most other Mantic languages [xP] ).
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 10 Aug 2018 03:19 I just meant that up until now, the ergative case only existed in declension tables and I had not actually used it in any sentences (i.e. hadn't come up with any neuter nouns being used as subjects of transitive verbs).
Ah, got it! Thanks for the explanation.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

In my romlang, I've decided that the outcome of the second palatalization will be /tʃ dʒ/ before /a/ and /tɕ dʑ/ before /ɛ e i/. This produces a nice alternation between between casê [ˈtʃæsɛː] "house" and citê(t) [tɕiˈtɛː(t)] "city."

Until I read more about earlier developments in PGmc/PN, I'm working on later developments in Vestmannic (né Mannish). So I've assumed that instead of assimilating /mp nt ŋk/ to /pp tt kk/ as did Old West Norse, I'd follow Old Irish and have /mp nt ŋk/ become /b d g/. There may be sporadic changes to /pp tt kk/ though, as contact with Scandinavia increases again around this time.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Assigned glyphs to private use codes and added diacritics to indicate palatalization along with the standard vowel diacritics:
https://conworkshop.com/view_article.ph ... 60c2dfe3bf
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I spent Friday and Saturday awake long enough to coin 100 new Kankonian words before 12:00 a.m. Sunday.

I coined *esya, as the translation for the ditransitive sense of "to turn". As a resultative Kankonian ditransitive verb, it takes ad (to) before its complement adjective (or complement noun):

Abam id kopbuzes as haug, mui yasta tri venit as khaim mem *esyass ad wowum arig na o!
eat done_to blueberry-PL PRS fun and part SUPL good PRS the_fact_that 3p turn-PST to blue tongue of one
Eating blueberries is fun, and the best part is they turn your tongue blue!

Other useful concepts that now have Kankonian words:

stekivir: to formulate (a political/social view); formulation
foukhsa: inner cheek (to bite one's cheek is zentz mai foukhsat na o)
dzakordizan: BD/SM
krakhiniz: kratom
hugwiz: love, love and joy, delight (as in "She's my . . ."); PYT/tenderoni is the rhyming hugwiz mamiz (mamiz means young)
zuinass: subsidy (ablaut on zoiness, to subsidize, to fund, to finance)
tishiglumon: lorazepam
paris: folk singer (from paru, folk music + -is, equivalent to -ist); incidentally, this is a homonym of paris, a thalassemic, from the eponymous kesos na Para (Para's disease) for thalssemia
ksubika: hip replacement, plastic hip
shughrum: flusher
blemaisk: newscast, news show; news (as in "I'm watching the news") (blend of blemaski, news, and maikrimia, TV)
gornupusha: newsgroup (from Javarti: gornu, discussion + püxa, to keep, to hold)
lezhivodza: mailing list (from Javarti: leji, all + vodza, to send)
tabagizdu: carbon copy, CC (of email) (from Javarti: taba, the Jukasta root for message + gizdu, clone)
ashagizdu: blind carbon copy, BCC (from Javarti, axa, veil + gizdu)
bmivi: pencil moustache
tikinolanushuri (or tikinola or nolanushuri for short): ditali, ditalini (from Hitan: tikinola, thimble (tiki, finger + nola, cover) and nushuri, pasta (from nu, water + shuri, bread))
vitil: skinny tie
dibago: door knocker
tithtz: baggie containing a tithitzandar of marijuana (shortened from tithitzandar, of course)
udadsever: generativity (Ciladian udad, generation (ud, birth + -ad, suffix for set) and Ciladian sebher, to teach; to learn)
yayarwintis (sing-eunuch) or waimaswintis (voice-eunuch): castrato
argaslaitzem: G-string worn by an octopus (from argas, many + laitzem, as in balaitzem, diphthong or elaitzem, triphthong)
derhakoup: truckload, buttload, cartload (from der, inside + hakoup, wagon)
swaifau: to croon
zhiowimindi: having lost one's sense of proprioception (from zhi-, self + o, one + imindi, lost, as in not knowing where one is)
zhiowimindios: loss of proprioception (from zhiowimindi and -os, an abstract noun suffix like -ness)
eitepf: allergic salute
brethmuv: wheat germ
Atawa: Ottawa (borrowed from Earth, of course)
kanazh: to keep up with (not misplace)
Melboern: Melbourne (same origin as Ottawa)

And some idioms:

Iamas na wan on en invushemi. He couldn't keep his story straight. ("His claims weren't together.")
Gos kuless an kheri. It takes two to tango. ("An egg needs a sperm.")
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

As Plattdytch and Town Speech/Urban Basanawa are basically the same language with different writing systems(which also happens in Hindi vs. Urdu, Serbian vs. Croatian, and to some extent Standard German vs. Yiddish and Tunisian Arabic vs. Maltese), I decided to give them an unified term, namely Town Speech-Plattdytch. in a manner similar to Hindi-Urdu and Serbo-Croatian.

Also, I have worked out the constructions equivalent to English "too ADJ to V" and "so ADJ that V" for Lonmai Luna(the main structures have been made long ago, I added a new way to express "too ADJ to V" in Lonmai Luna), Town Speech-Plattdytch and Kavrinian(Kavrinian is a collablang of Ridley while I do most parts of it...).
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

k1234567890y wrote: 19 Aug 2018 05:04 Also, I have worked out the constructions equivalent to English "too ADJ to V" and "so ADJ that V" for Lonmai Luna(the main structures have been made long ago, I added a new way to express "too ADJ to V" in Lonmai Luna), Town Speech-Plattdytch and Kavrinian(Kavrinian is a collablang of Ridley while I do most parts of it...).
Cool. How would you translate each of the following sentences?

1. Jessica is too arrogant to apologize.
2. The weather outside was too cold to swim. / The weather outside was too cold for us to swim.
3. That tiger is too noble to tame.
♂♥♂♀

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Learran <fłare>/fʎaːr/
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Khemehekis wrote: 19 Aug 2018 05:13
k1234567890y wrote: 19 Aug 2018 05:04 Also, I have worked out the constructions equivalent to English "too ADJ to V" and "so ADJ that V" for Lonmai Luna(the main structures have been made long ago, I added a new way to express "too ADJ to V" in Lonmai Luna), Town Speech-Plattdytch and Kavrinian(Kavrinian is a collablang of Ridley while I do most parts of it...).
Cool. How would you translate each of the following sentences?

1. Jessica is too arrogant to apologize.
2. The weather outside was too cold to swim. / The weather outside was too cold for us to swim.
3. That tiger is too noble to tame.
Town Speech-Plattdytch(I will use the Plattdytch variant here):

The Town Speech-Plattdytch strategy is basically the same to that of English, as it is also a North Sea West Germanic language(but not Anglo-Frisian)
1. Jessika is too hoochmoodig to forandshuldigen inself.
2. de wedder autside was too kold to swimmen. / de wedder autside was too kold for us to swimmen.
3. de tiger is too eddel to temmen.
(Note: Town Speech would use Sino-Xenic words for "arrogant" here, and the Town Speech word for "tiger" has a different source language.)

Lonmai Luna:

Lonmai Luna has two ways to say "too ADJ to V":
alen Djesika komar harta fas hir dala modo daler bolsto(strategy 1)
interlinear: PND Jessica arrogant too.much so that 3.PRON NEG want apologize

alen Dessika komar harta nil bolsto(strategy 2)
interlinear: PND Jessica arrogant too.much in.respect.of apologize

2-1.
on delonir war salso harta fas hir dalki modo pan onsep(strategy 1)
interlinear: the weather out cold too.much so that one(indefinite pronoun) NEG be.able swim

on delonir war salso harta nil onsep(strategy 2)
interlinear: the weather out cold too.much in.respect.of swim

2-2.
on delonir mal e waro salso harta fas hir seka modo pan onsep(always strategy 1)
interlinear: the weather out cold too.much so that 1.PL.INCL NEG be.able swim

on tasha kemake harta fas hir dalki modo pan djama dala(strategy 1)
interlinear: the tiger noble too.much so that one(indefinite pronoun) NEG be.able tame 3.PRON

on tasha kemake harta nil djama dala(strategy 2)
interlinear: the tiger noble too.much in.respect.of tame 3.PRON

(I borrowed a Tungusic word for the word for Tiger in Lonmai Luna here...as there are no native mammals in the world where Lonmai Luna was spoken and all mammals there were broght by some Tungusic-speaking people "transferred" there)

Not going to show the Kavrinian way here. One can read it here: https://conworkshop.com/view_article.ph ... 8701ee13e1
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

"Be able to" or "want to" vs. "in respect of" . . . very nice! And I'm fascinated by your conbiological history in which Tungusic speakers introduce humans and other mammals to the world of the long-longs. Do the speakers of Lonmai Luna have birds, or fish, or insects, or any other classes or phyla of animals we know from Earth native to their planet?
♂♥♂♀

k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Khemehekis wrote: 20 Aug 2018 02:02Do the speakers of Lonmai Luna have birds, or fish, or insects, or any other classes or phyla of animals we know from Earth native to their planet?
yes

they just don't have native mammals.

and thanks for your liking (:
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

I successfully made a font for the Sitr Script...
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

k1234567890y wrote: 20 Aug 2018 06:14 they just don't have native mammals.

You're welcome.

Do you have a name for the class to which the long-longs belong? (Or should that be belong-belong?)
♂♥♂♀

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Much more than I expected to! Mostly about real life, and conworlding.
I may be caught up by 9:00am Friday morning; I hope so!
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Khemehekis wrote: 29 Aug 2018 23:53
k1234567890y wrote: 20 Aug 2018 06:14 they just don't have native mammals.

You're welcome.

Do you have a name for the class to which the long-longs belong? (Or should that be belong-belong?)
http://conworld.wikia.com/wiki/Lonniformia
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

That was fun to read! You've clearly put thought into their taxonomy. (I also learned a bit of natbiology: amphibians don't have ankles!)

BTW, saying "Lonniformia animals" sounds a bit awkward. How about using the plural "lonniforms"? Just as we say "reptiles" instead of "Reptilia animals". The same with "Amniota animals" -- it should be "amniotes".
♂♥♂♀