What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Ælfwine »

Dormouse559 wrote: 28 Jan 2018 23:09 I finalized most of Silvish's verb conjugations. There are a few that aren't quite fitting an existing paradigm yet, but they shouldn't need much more attention. Meanwhile, I took the time to figure out a phonemic analysis of the vowel inventory. Turns out it has nine short vowel phonemes and seven long ones. I've been writing all my transcriptions in square brackets for a while, but now I can switch to slashes when need be.
Can't wait to see, of course.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Ælfwine wrote: 29 Jan 2018 22:47 Can't wait to see, of course.
Great! [:)] Those two developments were a catalyst for me to start rewriting my Silvish posts in earnest.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Moved over here from Q&A

So I'm expanding on Sangi's experimental NW Caucasian sound changes by porting them to SCA2.
Spoiler:
Categories:
C=bcdfgklmnprstvw
V=aāeēiīoōuūyȳæœꜷ

Rewrite rules:
ae|æ
oe|œ
au|ꜷ
k|c
qu|kʷ

Sound Changes:
[sm]//_#
[ei]/j/_V
a/ə/_
ā/a/_
e/ʲa/_
ē/ʲə/_
i/ɨ/_
ī/ʲɨ/_
o/ʷa/_
ō/ʷə/_
u/ɨ/_
ū/ʷɨ/_
y/ʲa/_
ȳ/ʲɨ/_
æ/ʲa/_
œ/ʲə/_
ꜷ/ʷa/_
qu/k/_
lʷ/w/_
lʲ/j/_
w/ʷ/C_
j/ʲ/C_
ʷ/w/#_
ʲ/j/#_

Input lexicon (so far):
aqua
equus
caesar
poena
glōria
omnis
Still expanding it at the moment, I want the end result to be clean and utilitarian for my needs. From there I can see if i can make the language properly polysynthetic.
My Blog

Esneirra973
sinic
sinic

Post by Esneirra973 »

Ælfwine wrote: 30 Jan 2018 05:21 Moved over here from Q&A

So I'm expanding on Sangi's experimental NW Caucasian sound changes by porting them to SCA2.
Spoiler:
Categories:
C=bcdfgklmnprstvw
V=aāeēiīoōuūyȳæœꜷ

Rewrite rules:
ae|æ
oe|œ
au|ꜷ
k|c
qu|kʷ

Sound Changes:
[sm]//_#
[ei]/j/_V
a/ə/_
ā/a/_
e/ʲa/_
ē/ʲə/_
i/ɨ/_
ī/ʲɨ/_
o/ʷa/_
ō/ʷə/_
u/ɨ/_
ū/ʷɨ/_
y/ʲa/_
ȳ/ʲɨ/_
æ/ʲa/_
œ/ʲə/_
ꜷ/ʷa/_
qu/k/_
lʷ/w/_
lʲ/j/_
w/ʷ/C_
j/ʲ/C_
ʷ/w/#_
ʲ/j/#_

Input lexicon (so far):
aqua
equus
caesar
poena
glōria
omnis
Still expanding it at the moment, I want the end result to be clean and utilitarian for my needs. From there I can see if i can make the language properly polysynthetic.
I think it would be an interesting idea to innovate new cases by either grammaticizing words, or from prepositions/postpositions, but that's just my opinion.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

gokupwned5 wrote: 30 Jan 2018 11:51

Spoiler:
Categories:
C=bcdfgklmnprstvw
V=aāeēiīoōuūyȳæœꜷ

Rewrite rules:
ae|æ
oe|œ
au|ꜷ
k|c
qu|kʷ

Sound Changes:
[sm]//_#
[ei]/j/_V
a/ə/_
ā/a/_
e/ʲa/_
ē/ʲə/_
i/ɨ/_
ī/ʲɨ/_
o/ʷa/_
ō/ʷə/_
u/ɨ/_
ū/ʷɨ/_
y/ʲa/_
ȳ/ʲɨ/_
æ/ʲa/_
œ/ʲə/_
ꜷ/ʷa/_
qu/k/_
lʷ/w/_
lʲ/j/_
w/ʷ/C_
j/ʲ/C_
ʷ/w/#_
ʲ/j/#_

Input lexicon (so far):
aqua
equus
caesar
poena
glōria
omnis
I think it would be an interesting idea to innovate new cases by either grammaticizing words, or from prepositions/postpositions, but that's just my opinion.
I'm doing that with my other romlang Pelsodian. It wouldn't make much sense here as Caucasian languages tend to have a very simple noun declension system relative to their verbs.
My Blog

Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I finally decided on Onschen phonotactics:

(F)(C)(v,r)V(S)(C)

Fricatives can only occur before stops and nasal stops and moreso they ungergo fortition word- and root-initially before stops and nasals:
s > t͡s / (#,$) _(S,N)
z > d͡z / (#,$)_(S,N)
ʃ > t͡ʃ / (#,$)_(S,N)
ʒ > d͡ʒ / (#,$)_(S,N)
x (> k͡x) > k / (#,$)_(S,N)
ɣ (> ɡ͡ɣ) > g / (#,$)_(S,N)
xʲ (> k͡xʲ) > kʲ / (#,$)_(S,N)
ɣʲ (> ɡ͡ɣʲ) > gʲ / (#,$)_(S,N)

Voiced fricatives from pre-Onschen basically disappear entirely in Onschen, either devoicing or eliding.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Esneirra973
sinic
sinic

Post by Esneirra973 »

Ælfwine wrote: 30 Jan 2018 13:58
gokupwned5 wrote: 30 Jan 2018 11:51

Spoiler:
Categories:
C=bcdfgklmnprstvw
V=aāeēiīoōuūyȳæœꜷ

Rewrite rules:
ae|æ
oe|œ
au|ꜷ
k|c
qu|kʷ

Sound Changes:
[sm]//_#
[ei]/j/_V
a/ə/_
ā/a/_
e/ʲa/_
ē/ʲə/_
i/ɨ/_
ī/ʲɨ/_
o/ʷa/_
ō/ʷə/_
u/ɨ/_
ū/ʷɨ/_
y/ʲa/_
ȳ/ʲɨ/_
æ/ʲa/_
œ/ʲə/_
ꜷ/ʷa/_
qu/k/_
lʷ/w/_
lʲ/j/_
w/ʷ/C_
j/ʲ/C_
ʷ/w/#_
ʲ/j/#_

Input lexicon (so far):
aqua
equus
caesar
poena
glōria
omnis
I'm doing that with my other romlang Pelsodian. It wouldn't make much sense here as Caucasian languages tend to have a very simple noun declension system relative to their verbs.
That makes sense. Maybe you could do that with the verb conjugations instead.
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

In an effort to create some justified 'regular' irregularity, I've been working on Shonkasika's older, non-productive way of forming the future tense. Shonkasika used to form a 'hypothetic/potential' verb form by ablaut of the final vowel in the verb stem before the personal endings. Over time, this form was reinterpreted as a future form.

An example:
tut I give
tet If I give/I may give > I will give

This new future of banu to be, bo-, became the indicative future suffix for most verbs. I have decided that a group of basic, common, and modal verbs will maintain this old future form by ablaut, which contrasts with the new productive future forms. Additionally, the prospective aspect is formed from the basic stem of the future indicative, so for suffixing verbs, it's the same stem as the non-future. For the ablaut future verbs, it's different:

ruvat, ruvabot, ruvavit I love, I will love, I am going/about to love
tut, tet, tevit I give, I will give, I am going/about to give
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

:con: Poswa "forbid / deny" verbal affix -t-, from (used in imperative) earlier typ "to cover".

witi! "shut up! "
prumpi "cover your ears[/b]...mpt>mp
wapati "put on your shoes" (lit. Cover your feet)
poti "just hold it" (having to use the bathroom)

All of these are identical in form to (in some cases hypothetical ) articles of clothing. E.g. the word for shirt is literally "cover y
ur belly!"

But these words for body parts are from verbs , so e.g./ witi/ c"shut up" is wi "voice "+ti.ti
It

Vowel changes for person.eg /wapatub/= "let me put on my shoes"
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I've been working on a descendant of PIE named Anggųarå. At the moment only the sound changes have been worked out, along with some words.

Compare PIE Ph₂tḗr "Father" to, Anggųarå Pahhtǫ̊t[Pahətʀt] "Father".
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

Parlox wrote: 01 Feb 2018 22:32 I've been working on a descendant of PIE named Anggųarå. At the moment only the sound changes have been worked out, along with some words.

Compare PIE Ph₂tḗr "Father" to, Anggųarå Pahhtǫ̊t[Pahətʀt] "Father".
That's an interesting outcome. May I ask what specific sound changes led to Pahhtǫ̊t? [:D]
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :chn:, :tur:, :fra:

Zhér·dûn a tonal Germanic conlang

old stuff: Цiски | Noattȯč | Tungōnis Vīdīnōs
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

ixals wrote: 02 Feb 2018 00:10 That's an interesting outcome. May I ask what specific sound changes led to Pahhtǫ̊t? [:D]
Pahhtǫ̊t is a bit irregular.

h₂> hh[hə]
ǫ̊[ʀ] came from a tendency to turn word final [r] into its uvular equivalent.
Final t was formed from a tendency to encase ǫ̊[ʀ] in consonants.
Vowels are usually inserted between consonant clusters, thus "Pahh" instead of "Phh". Usually "a" is the vowel inserted.
"e" was deleted in the presence of ǫ̊[ʀ], because Anggųarå usually removes a vowel from a vowel cluster. (ǫ̊[ʀ] is treated as a vowel)

That's about all of the sound changes that formed the word. Nothing is set in stone as of yet, and things are subject to change.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

I made this table when I realised that the fricatives /ɸ θ/ actually pattern rather nicely with the other fricatives and approximants in Híí.

Code: Select all

SPIRANT STRIDENT
FRICATIVE     f • þ   ł • s
APPROXIMANT   w • r   l • z
This should help me finalise the development of these phonemes when Pre-Híí lost labialisation and (much later) palatalisation. (Labialisation was then regenerated in Early Modern Híí.)
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Found a new Old Albic etymology that may be interesting enough to mention here. Old Albic has a word pana 'monkey', which appears to have been borrowed into Germanic as an n-stem with alpha mobile ("alpha mobile" refers to the phenomenon that Hesperic nouns are often borrowed with the preceding article), *apan-, the antecedent of English ape and German Affe. But this is not straightforwardly inherited from Proto-Hesperic - the initial /p/ alone speaks against that. But there is a similar word, phana which denotes some sort of imp or goblin, and is Proto-Hesperic in origin. Now in the (not yet named) Hesperic branch of the Iberian Peninsula, Proto-Hesperic *ph has lost its aspiration, so PH *phana became *pana which acquired the meaning 'monkey' (they knew monkeys by trade contacts with northwestern Africa) due to the appearance of these animals, and was later borrowed into Old Albic when monkeys became known on the Elvenisles (British Isles) through trade (the Elves experimented with domesticating monkeys to use them as servants).

Nothing of this all had to be invented for the purpose; it all was there already, and just had to be put together to get this to work. I love such etymologies!
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

I created a couple of minor declensions for Shonkasika nouns.

Instead of forming its indefinite dual in -bre and its indefinite dual in -bi like most animate nouns, a few animates form them in -ndre and -ni respectively:

thoges, thogendres, thogenis ox, two oxen, oxen
hiros, hirondres, hironis chicken, two chickens, chickens
podis, podindres, podinis child, two children, children

Some inanimate nouns, including all ending -ye, form its indefinite dual in -, and indefinite plural in -ú, with a stress shift to the last syllable, instead of the normal endings of -ri and -i without stress shift:

glaina, glainarú, glaináu eye, two eyes, eyes
plesto, plestorú, plestóu ear, two ears, ears
faspu, faspurú, faspwó leg, two legs, legs
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

I haven't been planning to revisit/revitalize my old Alál thread with a post pretending I know anything about semantics. Definitely not. What are you talking about. Why would I ever bring predicate logic into this. But if I were planning to do such a thing, which given the state of that old notebook is a terrible idea, I would probably start with something about negation, since I only ever covered zero-negation last time and not truth-value negation, which does fun things to verb compounds and even more fun things to anything involving quantifiers.

Atzîkazìtıraas
 [äˈt̪ʃi.kä.ʂi.t̪eˌrɘ:s̪]
 tza<ı-ŕk.~a.r̀>z-ìt-ıraas
 swim<3-all>-NEG-be.swimming
 It is the case that all of them are not swimming. ("None of them are swimming.")

Atzîkaltazıraas
 [äˈt̪ʃi.käɬ.t̪ɘ.ʂeˌrɘ:s̪]
 tza<ı-ŕk.~a.r̀-lat.~a>zıraas
 swim<3-all-NEG>
 It is not the case that all of them are swimming. ("They aren't all swimming [but some might be].")

It is going slowly, but I am enthused. It's not as if I have any actual linguistics-related work to be doing on a large and frightening problem set that will likely involve autosegmental phonology. Not at all. I have all the free time in the world. Also, Alál is officially no longer tonal. This was always going to happen, but I'd never gotten around to figuring out the actual changes and mapping from tones to a height-stress system. Now, it is functional. Not entirely complete, and likely not realistic, but (1) the speakers in the associated conworld are aliens anyhow, and (2) it sounds nice. So that's what's been happening lately.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I've been trying to overhaul the Charric languages so that it's not very large.

Code: Select all

Haxyakian
/m n ŋ/
/p t k q ʡ ʔ/
/b d g/
/f θ s ɬ x ħ h/
/v ð z ɮ ɣ/
/w r l j/
--------------------------------
West Charric
/m n ŋ/
/p pʼ t tʼ c cʼ k kʼ q qʼ ʔ/
/b d ɟ g/
/ɸ s ɬ ɬʼ ç x χ h/
/β z ɮ ʝ ɣ/
/w ɹ l j/
/r rʼ/
East Charric
/m n ŋ/
/p pʷ t tʷ k kʷ q qʷ/
/b d g/
/tʃ͡ tʃ͡ʷ/
/dʒ͡/
/f θ s x χ h/
/v ð z ɣ/
/w l lʷ j/
/r rʷ/
Central Charric
/m n ŋ/
/p pʰ t tʰ k kʰ ʔ/
/b d g/
/tʃ͡ tʃ͡ʰ/
/dʒ͡/
/f s ʃ x h/
/v z ʒ ɣ/
/w l lʰ j/
/r rʰ/
Northeast Charric
/m n ɲ ŋ/
/p pˤ t tˤ k kˤ q qˤ ʔ/
/b d g/
/ts͡ ts͡ˤ/
/dz͡/
/f s x χ h/
/v z ɣ/
/w l lˤ j/
/r rˤ/
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

yet another new minor conlang, likely used for placenames only:

Fojy

consonants:
/p m mp kp ŋm ṭ ṇ ṇṭ t n nt l r s k ŋ ŋk h/ Possibly also /j w/ if either or both can contrast with allophones of the corresponding vowels. There are also syllabic nasals ... at least /m n ŋ/, possibly also /ṇ/ (dental). The prenasalized stops could also be analyzed as simple clusters because, although they can occur root-initially, they cannot occur word-initially (that is, a prefix cannot begin with one, and a root with no prefix must drop the nasal). This also applies to the labial-velars. The lack of /ŋmp/ helps in this analysis.

vowels:
/a i u ə/

This is my least favorite of my recent conlangs, as it has no positive features that are not expressed better in other languages ... and it's going to a sparsely inhabited tropical wasteland , too far north to have a rainy season and too far south to benefit from the nutrient -rich waters of the cold offshore current that sweeps around the world ocean at higher latitudes.

But i'll try to find something i like even if it's also present in other languages ... e.g. this language could divide into daughters that are diverse enough to form /produce reocgnizably different plcenames , and also given names.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Ahzoh wrote: 03 Feb 2018 21:30 I've been trying to overhaul the Charric languages so that it's not very large.
Are the stop pairs related. e.g. i see p/pʷ in one language, p/pʰ in another, p/pʕ in a third and p/p' in a fourth ... are these sets derived from a single original contrast, or is it more complex? Ive been working on something similar.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

WeepingElf wrote: 03 Feb 2018 00:30 Found a new Old Albic etymology that may be interesting enough to mention here. Old Albic has a word pana 'monkey', which appears to have been borrowed into Germanic as an n-stem with alpha mobile ("alpha mobile" refers to the phenomenon that Hesperic nouns are often borrowed with the preceding article), *apan-, the antecedent of English ape and German Affe. But this is not straightforwardly inherited from Proto-Hesperic - the initial /p/ alone speaks against that. But there is a similar word, phana which denotes some sort of imp or goblin, and is Proto-Hesperic in origin. Now in the (not yet named) Hesperic branch of the Iberian Peninsula, Proto-Hesperic *ph has lost its aspiration, so PH *phana became *pana which acquired the meaning 'monkey' (they knew monkeys by trade contacts with northwestern Africa) due to the appearance of these animals, and was later borrowed into Old Albic when monkeys became known on the Elvenisles (British Isles) through trade (the Elves experimented with domesticating monkeys to use them as servants).

Nothing of this all had to be invented for the purpose; it all was there already, and just had to be put together to get this to work. I love such etymologies!
Very interesting!

On a worldbuilding note, I hope that the Elbim of the Elvenisles will have a better time of simian indentured servitude than us humans.

Planet of the Phana, anyone?
https://hiddenhorrors.files.wordpress.c ... 128094.jpg

Interestingly, a term of endearment in Dominican & Cuban :esp: is to call someone mon@ 'monkey' for 'cutie-pie'.
Also, a slang word in Puerto Rican :esp: for 'friend' is buen pana .
No cheeky monkeys here!!!
[;)]