What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Frislander »

I've made a conlang thread here for the first time in ages for my IE language, currently there's phonology and a stream-of-consciousness post on o-stem nouns.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Frislander wrote: 22 Oct 2018 23:33 I've made a conlang thread here for the first time in ages for my IE language, currently there's phonology and a stream-of-consciousness post on o-stem nouns.
Will there be a thread on Asta?
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

DesEsseintes wrote: 23 Oct 2018 06:03
Frislander wrote: 22 Oct 2018 23:33 I've made a conlang thread here for the first time in ages for my IE language, currently there's phonology and a stream-of-consciousness post on o-stem nouns.
[+1] After translating from Asta for the relay, I am interested in knowing more. It's a fun language.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

gestaltist wrote: 23 Oct 2018 09:06
DesEsseintes wrote: 23 Oct 2018 06:03
[+1] After translating from Asta for the relay, I am interested in knowing more. It's a fun language.
Perhaps, but I'm also working on a PDF grammar for it as well, and it would take up too much of my working time, I feel, to do all three at the same time. The IE-lang has also sort of sprung from me doing the comparative-linguistics paper at university, Asta has not.
Clio
sinic
sinic

Post by Clio »

I wrote up about five single-spaced pages on the Getic past and perfect tenses: stem formation, ablaut patterns, sample conjugations. In the process I also spotted and corrected a few errors in my write-up about the present tense. (Technically, I did most of this late last night.)

Today, I determined the six present-perfect verbs in Getic (i.e., verbs whose perfect tense forms have present meaning): mąluvé, past tense emílust; mąné, past emą̂st; mąvé, past emą̂st; mązé, past emíst; nąvé, past eníst; and ēdé, past evíst. The first five verbs are from verbs whose reduplication became obscured by nasalization, and the last is from an original Proto-Indo-European root perfect. A fun fact: mąné is from *memóne, *memnḗr > *mamané, *mąnêr; now, the verb mąvé is homophonous in most forms with mąné because it's derived from the same root, but with (1) -n- lost by analogy with certain other forms and (2) epenthetic -v-.
Niûro nCora
Getic: longum Getico murmur in ore fuit
scratchpad
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

For some reason, and against my better judgment, I’m working on Apwapɨrɨng again. I’m supposed to be getting Limestone ready for the relay, but I seemingly have no control over my mind.
Edit: For some reason the name Ken had made it into my post
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

I'm done with my midterm exams, and on Thursday night, I finished the second 10-page paper I had to write in two weeks. This one was about PIE-related things, though, so at least it was interesting. I have two more papers due in the next two weeks, one of which should also be interesting, but I allowed myself to take a bit of a break today, which I haven't really done for quite a while. I suddenly found the energy to go through and respond to some recent threads, and hopefully I'll be able to find the energy again tomorrow to go through some more.

Also, even though this isn't an accomplishment from today, I managed to get my part of the relay done, even though it took me forever (I'm so sorry). For about a week I spent all of my free time frantically working on it between my exams, but I got it done, and I'm actually pretty satisfied with how it turned out. I had an idea for what language I wanted to use for the relay, but I didn't have time to develop that idea because of school, so I figured I'd use one of my Germanic a posteriori languages. I tried that though, but I just wasn't happy with the results. Not wanting to waste any more time, I essentially just came up with a completely new a priori language on the fly as I translated the torch. Like I said, I'm actually pretty satisfied with the results. Although I'll definitely have to clean some things up and make some tweaks first, I've considered making a thread on the language I ended up using. If I end up going through with that idea, though, it'll have to wait until the relay's done, I guess, and until I actually have a good amount of free time.
Clio
sinic
sinic

Post by Clio »

shimobaatar wrote: 03 Nov 2018 06:29This one was about PIE-related things, though, so at least it was interesting. I have two more papers due in the next two weeks, one of which should also be interesting, but I allowed myself to take a bit of a break today, which I haven't really done for quite a while. I suddenly found the energy to go through and respond to some recent threads, and hopefully I'll be able to find the energy again tomorrow to go through some more.
I'm glad you got the chance to take that break and found that energy--your feedback is always appreciated! If you don't mind my asking, what was your paper about?
Niûro nCora
Getic: longum Getico murmur in ore fuit
scratchpad
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Clio wrote: 06 Nov 2018 02:08 I'm glad you got the chance to take that break and found that energy--your feedback is always appreciated!
Thank you! I didn't get to respond to all of the threads I'd hoped to, so hopefully I'll have some free time again soon.
Clio wrote: 06 Nov 2018 02:08 If you don't mind my asking, what was your paper about?
The one last week was a comparison of different PIE Urheimat hypotheses.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

I've been making more progress fleshing out the language I created for the current relay, along with its ancestor(s). I think I probably would like to make a thread on it, after the relay is done, of course.
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

I finally got some more pronoun work done. Will introduce pronouns to the Lihmelinyan thread within the next week!

And I love the way "I am" sounds in Lihmelinyan: héka hémi /'xɛ.ka 'xɛ.mi/ [:D]
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

new numbers in Vrkhazhian (in feminine gender):
1 diṭwa /ditʼwɑ/
2 səjja /səɟːɑ/
3 limna /ɮimnɑ/ from "finger"
4 tibsa /tibsa/
5 zəmḳa /zəmkʼɑ/
6 ʾahsiva /ɑɦsiβɑ/
7 mupla /mupɮɑ/ from "given"
8 šalba /çɑɮbɑ/ from "spider"
9 namliʾa /nɑmɮiʔɑ/
10 šemta /çe̞mtɑ/
11 meśra /me̞ɬra/ from "taken"

12 diṭwana
24 səjjana
36 limnana
48 tibsana
60 zəmḳana
72 ʾahsivana
84 muplana
96 šalbana
108 namliʾana
120 šemtana
132 meśrana

144 diṭwəbaḵta
288 səjjəbaḵta
432 lamnəbaḵta
576 tibsəbaḵta
720 zəmḳəbaḵta
864 ʾahsivbaḵta
1008 mupləbaḵta
1152 šalbəbaḵta
1296 namliʾbaḵta
1440 šemtəbaḵta
1584 meśrəbaḵta

tibsi ṇ-ʾahsivani ṇ-šalbəbaḵti hazin tutšəša nurawwəm.
121610/86412 men tied rope.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

I fixed the verbal paradigms in my semitic language! They all had bad etymologies, malformances, and arbitrary irregularities that have been completely resolved! They're still a bit weird, but in good, justifiably semitic ways.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

I think I've finalized the noun declension system and phonology for the language I created for the 10th relay, so if I have time tomorrow, I might make a thread about it.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Since my Lexember entry for today was the number "one", and since I mentioned several relatively new languages of mine in that post, I thought I should go ahead and make the rest of the numbers 1-10 in the languages I mentioned. You know… just in case.
Spoiler:
Proto-Yaunite:
*waˤ- (1)
*ˀid- (2)
*źalč- (3)
*ki- (4)
*muṭ- (5)
*ḳʷas- (6)
*ḳʷāṭ- (7)
*rinθ- (8)
*žum- (9)
*č̣ūħ- (10)

Old Abil:
vařelə "one"
ŋiðilīðə "two"
laušiliˀəð "three"
kīliˀəð "four"
muˀtiliˀəð "five"
qasiliˀəð "six"
qāˀtiliˀəð "seven"
linθiliˀəð "eight"
yuniliˀəð "nine"
čūħiliˀəð "ten"

Y²KS:
waˤin "one"
yind "two"
aččin "three"
kin "four"
mund "five"
bans "six"
fand "seven"
rīnč "eight"
rumin "nine"
jūn "ten"
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Managed to code Dybo's Law into conlangjugator (which uses Regex)

V>V̀/V̀C{0,3}_
V̀>V/_C{0,3}V̀
ь>ə
ь̀>ə̀
ъ>ə
ъ̀>ə̀
[əə̀]>// rtl even

gòtovъ > gotòv
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Made a new language called Kasseet Dlogl [kæs.se.jet dˡɔgᶫ], it is related to my other conlang Swdo.
/m n nˡ ŋ ŋᶫ/
/p b t d tˡ dˡ k g kᶫ gᶫ/
/s ɬ~l x ʟ̝̊~ʟ/ (another dialect has /θ ð θˡ ðˡ ʃ ʒ ɬ ɮ/)

Not only does it have vowel harmony but it also has lateral harmony:
NOM: /de/ "man"
ACC: /deæs/ [dejæs]
GEN: /deeg/ [dejeg]
DAT: /desem/
SEM: /deæk/ [dejæk]

NOM: /kʊɔs/ [kʊwɔs] "boat"
ACC: /kʊɔsɔs/ [kʊwɔsɔs]
GEN: /kʊɔsʊg/ [kʊwɔsʊg]
DAT: /kʊɔssʊm/ [kʊwɔssʊm]
SEM: /kʊɔsɔk/ [kʊwɔsɔk]

NOM: /gᶫem/ "iron"
ACC: /gᶫemæl/
GEN: /gᶫemegᶫ/
DAT: /gᶫemlem/
SEM: /gᶫemækᶫ/

NOM: /dˡɔgᶫ/ "language"
ACC: /dˡɔgᶫɔl/
GEN: /dˡɔgᶫʊgᶫ/
DAT: /dˡɔgᶫlʊm/
SEM: /dˡɔgᶫɔkᶫ/

A chart comparing Swdo with Kasseet:

Code: Select all

Man      | /tyr/     | /de/
Language | /tuk/     | /dˡɔgᶫ/
Shield   | /tʰipi/   | /tebe/
One      | /iryk/    | /eeg/ [ejeg]
Two      | /ŋ̍mɒwɒ/  | /ʊmɔʟɔ/
Boat     | /kʰɯrɯsʰ/ | /kʊɔs/ [kʊwɔs]
Iron     | /kym/     | /gᶫem/
Mountain | /usʰmun/  | /ɔlmɔdˡ/
Family   | /irmaŋ/   | /emæg/
Horse    | /sŋ̍ʷtut/ | /seŋded/
To speak | /sʰuru/   | /sɔɔ/ [sɔwɔ]
Xo soo eeg(as) dloglol. Xo soo Kasseet(as) dloglol.
[xɔ sɔwɔ ejeg(æs) dˡɔgᶫɔl | xɔ sɔwɔ kæs.se.jet(æs) dˡɔgᶫɔl]
I speak one language. I speak Kasseet.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Did a little speedlanging today. (If I understand the term right!)

Made the Yargai Language within a twelve hour span of time. Grammar notes are a little sparse; but I've got a text and lexicon for it!

I don't think I'll speedlanging again. That wasn't easy!
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Well, I've finally come back round to Frislandian, and this time I'm bursting with ideas for the phonology, so I'm gonna end up making a whole dialect cluster, so I'm gonna have to write a pan-dialectal grammar (fun fun fun!), with some consideration for the reconstruction of Proto-Frislandian (breaking from my usual habit of "language first, diachronics later"). I'm still uncertain on certain aspects of the mother language, particularly ablaut. I'm currently considering a kind of "IE minus laryngeals" leading to the creation of syllabic resonants, but I'm uncertain both whether to allow it with all of *e, *a, *o as opposed to simply *a, and whether to permit it when a preceding sonorant would become syllabic (following is fine), i.e. whether, in addition to *saku~*səkwan and *kajtə~*kitan I should also permit alternations such as *pjakə~*pikan, *tramə~*tr̩man and *twenə~*tunan/tunen (it would probably help if I worked out what the functions of these forms are in the first place, I guess this'll be mainly a verbal thing, with the former being a finite form and the latter a nominal derivation of some kind).
J Reggie
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by J Reggie »

This isn't really something I accomplished so much as something I found out, but i just learned that my grandpa and his college roommate created an international auxlang (probably back in the 40s or 50s). I'm really excited to look over the notes he's lending me!