What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Leader Desslok
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Leader Desslok »

Sound changes from the first to the second to the third stage of my language. Slow going.
A little learning is a dangerous thing ;
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring :
There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
And drinking largely sobers us again.
~ Alexander Pope
jimydog000
greek
greek

Post by jimydog000 »

Proto Rretgia - Dohaven - Ngangreet has 100 words.
A signature.
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

Ive been working on a new tonal language, which now has like 15 words.
Some stuff i am translating (Stories) are close to being complete.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
GamerGeek
sinic
sinic

Post by GamerGeek »

I abandoned Lingua Persona (I may revive it some day)
I'm creating a language and a bit of conculture of if I were left on an island with no outside influence...
As opposed to Lingua Persona, I already have two words—water (risa) and snake (sans)
The plosive series goes b t k, and I'm not how to get the fricative series (β s x) to diacronically work.
I know that there will be a trill /r/, which I just recently learned how to articulated. As I am adding trills, I should add /ʙ/. It is unlikely that these were originally trills, so they likely developed from earlier /ɹ/ and /bː/
The vowels will look like /a/, /i/, /iː/, /u/, /uː/, /ai/, /au/, but /ai/ and /au/ could both originate from /aː/ with rules for which is used. The short vowels /i/ and /u/ will become /e/ and /o/, and those would likely merge with /ai/ and /au/.
Anyways, essay over. I seem to like the word "likely"...
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

So there is this rule in Híí that goes

uR’ú → úRú

where R is any resonant m n s ł h w and u is any vowel.

And tonight I realised how nice this would be with suffixes that attract the accent. Like so:

nín’e + ː’e → nínéí’e
éíwıłtsınón’o + ː’e → éíwıłtsınónóó’e

And that made me happy as I sipped my Wyborowa tonic.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

I think that's the best part about coming up with a new feature, discovering all the ripples in the rest of the conlang.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I came up with an alliance called the West Coast Alliance and created two new nations and languages as a result.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

DesEsseintes wrote:So there is this rule in Híí that goes

uR’ú → úRú

And tonight I realised how nice this would be with suffixes that attract the accent. Like so:

nín’e + ː’e → nínéí’e

Delish Des as always! [B)]

Those examples you give actually remind me of Cheyenne, funnily enough.
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I have added 55 words to a new language, i have also finished a case system for its definite article, which has over 200(36 base) ways to be formed.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Frislander wrote:

uR’ú → úRú

nín’e + ː’e → nínéí’e

Thanks. [:)]

The forms I chose do look very similar to Cheyenne vowel-stretching/"Goddard's Law", partly because I chose a suffix starting in a glottal stop that causes lengthening of the preceding vowel. But then that was on purpose, because I love the aesthetic of Cheyenne and wanted to replicate the effect using different principles.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

DesEsseintes wrote:
Frislander wrote:

uR’ú → úRú

nín’e + ː’e → nínéí’e

Thanks. [:)]

The forms I chose do look very similar to Cheyenne vowel-stretching/"Goddard's Law", partly because I chose a suffix starting in a glottal stop that causes lengthening of the preceding vowel. But then that was on purpose, because I love the aesthetic of Cheyenne and wanted to replicate the effect using different principles.
This vowel compensatory lengthening with metathesis of the glottal stop sounds vaguely familiar. Feels sort of like Coptic.
I will consult Vycichl and Loprieno.

Save me a wybrowa. [:P] Can I have a Tymbark jabłko~mięta chaser with that?
https://trade.zipwieczorek.pl/eng_pl_Ty ... 8440_1.jpg
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

uR’ú → úRú

nín’e + ː’e → nínéí’e

Lambuzhao wrote:This vowel compensatory lengthening with metathesis of the glottal stop sounds vaguely familiar. Feels sort of like Coptic.
I will consult Vycichl and Loprieno.

Save me a wybrowa. [:P] Can I have a Tymbark jabłko~mięta chaser with that?
https://trade.zipwieczorek.pl/eng_pl_Ty ... 8440_1.jpg
I would definitely be interested in learning more about similar processes in Coptic, so please do check if you have the time. [:D]

However, I feel compelled to point out that there is no glottal stop metathesis going on here. The glottal stop in the n’ clusters in the examples turns into a high tone on the preceding syllable if there is a high tone on the following vowel. The fact that the suffix -ː’e contains another glottal stop is incidental. Let me make up another example:

weırıssím’o + ːhto → weırıssímóóhto

Your cocktail is ready, btw.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

I don't visit this forum much anymore but I decided to drop by in case anybody was wandering. ;)

I definitely have little time for creativity with my daughter suffering from colic, but I do work on something: I have rebooted Scosya, my high-tilt world. However, I don't feel this forum is the right audience for it, since it is a speculative evolution project, and it will take millions of years of evolution before I arrive at a species that can actually create a language. :)
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

gestaltist wrote:I don't visit this forum much anymore but I decided to drop by in case anybody was wandering. ;)
Good to see you're still at work on something!

You are missed here. Hopefully there will come a time when you can be more active again...
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

gestaltist wrote:I don't visit this forum much anymore but I decided to drop by in case anybody was wandering. ;)

I definitely have little time for creativity with my daughter suffering from colic, but I do work on something: I have rebooted Scosya, my high-tilt world. However, I don't feel this forum is the right audience for it, since it is a speculative evolution project, and it will take millions of years of evolution before I arrive at a species that can actually create a language. :)
[:o] We miss you back on the IRC. I've been waiting to talk to you there about Waxworld., especially it's spec-evo parts.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

qwed117 wrote:

[:o] We miss you back on the IRC. I've been waiting to talk to you there about Waxworld., especially it's spec-evo parts.
I am going to be on vacation the next two weeks, and I don't think I will be online much in that time. I will try to come and visit the IRC in July again. Talking about Waxworld is definitely something I would like to do.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Made a new conlang, that I can't think of a fitting romanization for.

I call it:
/pɒly:qɒptʂɒ:/

/a a: ɒ ɒ: e e: ø: i i: y y: o: u:/
/m n ɳ/
/pʰ p tʰ t kʰ k qʰ q/
/f s ʂ χ/
/tʂ/
/r l w j/

Has a rather complex rounded vowel harmony
bidirectional:
a <-> ɒ
i <-> y
a: <-> ɒ:
e: <-> ø:
i: <-> y:
unidirectional:
e -> ɒ
o: -> e:
u: -> i:
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

gestaltist wrote: I definitely have little time for creativity with my daughter suffering from colic
Our first child had a really bad case of colic, and those are days I do not look upon fondly. But it does get better!
However, I don't feel this forum is the right audience for it, since it is a speculative evolution project, and it will take millions of years of evolution before I arrive at a species that can actually create a language. :)
That doesn't stop me from posting world-building things in this thread; but I'm definitely more on the "world-building" side of the house, and don't mind seeing that around here :)
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

qwed117 wrote:We miss you back on the IRC.
There's an IRC channel? Where?
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Axiem wrote:
qwed117 wrote:We miss you back on the IRC.
There's an IRC channel? Where?
http://www.cbbforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1453
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad