What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by shimobaatar »

Frislander wrote: 09 Feb 2018 12:57 Started working on Frislandian again, so now I have at least some words for rain, thunder and other weather phenomena:

tjyttirroju [ˈcytːɪˌɽojʊ] rain (lit.falling water)
opsi [ˈopʂɪ] cloud
àhlti [ˈâɬtɪ] fog
kóppurri [ˈkǒpːʊˌɽi] thunder (lit. thundering thing)
pàkali [ˈpâkəˌli] fork lightning (lit. thing that cracked/will crack)
llèpali [ˈɬêpəˌli] sheet lightning (lit. thing that flashed/will flash)
There's just something about your languages, even including the sketch phonologies you sometimes post, that I tend to find very pleasing aesthetically across the board.

As far as I can tell, my last post in this thread about an accomplishment of my own was about 10 months ago. Time for some self-reflection and a status update that no one asked for.
Spoiler:
I've been really stuck in terms of conlanging for the past few years, really. When I was in high school, all of my linguistic knowledge was self-taught (looking back now that I'm in college, I actually think I did a half decent job teaching myself, but I can't express how glad I am to now be getting a formal education in this stuff), and I was sick at home in bed for almost two years, or, in other words, I had a lot of free time. Since Fall 2016, I've been a full-time college student, and my health's been a lot better. And those are good things! However, they also mean I have a lot less free time to conlang, or to do much of anything really (I'm absolutely terrible at time management, so I end up spending most of my waking hours on schoolwork). Additionally, I've been taking formal linguistics classes. This increase in my knowledge of how languages work, along with the expected shifts in my personal tastes that go along with aging, has made me come to really dislike most of my conlangs, including nearly everything that's been posted here.

I lost interest in making a priori languages for a while, but with a posteriori languages, resources are hard to find, it's difficult to avoid copying existing languages, and I end up comparing what I've made to natural languages a lot more than I did with my a priori conlangs. I'm still interested in making a posteriori languages, but lately I've been regaining interest in making a priori ones. Now that I'm taking more and more specialized linguistics classes, and I'm learning more and more about how languages work, hopefully I'll be able to make languages that I'll be able to stay proud of.

I think I've said here on the board before once or twice that I don't like to ever fully abandon a language. That's still absolutely the case. I've been looking over my old stuff recently, and trying to figure out what went wrong, and why I no longer like it. There seems to be a lot of stuff, especially aesthetically, that I was willing to put up with when I was even just a few years younger that I can no longer tolerate now. Another big thing seems to be that I was really afraid of putting restrictions on myself, especially phonologically, which led me to approach so-called "kitchen sink" territory. I'm currently working, sporadically, on updated versions of a lot of old stuff, but primarily Project Ypsilon, at least at the moment. I'm still trying to improve my health, and hopefully my productivity will improve along with it.

Maybe it's just because I've had a few bad experiences with language classes at my college, but I've also found myself growing disinterested in actually learning languages to speak them, as opposed to generally studying them as a linguist. I think that part of me is still interested, although I may just be trying to convince myself of that for nostalgia's sake. Maybe I just have to accept that I'm no longer interested in learning whatever languages are available to me, and/or find better classes? We'll see.

I've seemingly also fallen out of love with conworlding, to some degree. I still want to consider the world in which my a priori languages are hypothetically spoken, and the cultures by which they are hypothetically spoken, but I'm no longer interested in writing fiction set in that world and/or featuring those cultures. Maybe I'll change my mind back at some point, but I haven't been interested in that for a while now, really. I'm still very interested in writing, though, and I've actually had a lot of ideas in that regard over the past few years, but I think I'll stick to using Earth (albeit with some sci-fi/fantasy elements) as a setting.

It felt good to put this into words and type it all out. I don't expect anyone else to care. Hopefully I'll actually have some new and improved stuff of my own to post here in the relatively near future.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I translate a sentence "Y'all have eight dogs" in Haxyakian and the Charric languages:

Haxyakian:
kā̀ḏ xéorvā xā́keān ōkṑm.
kā̀-ḏ xéorv-ā xā́ke-ān ō-kṑm
2ms.A-PL eight-FEM dog-FEM.P.PL NPST-hold
[kàːð xé.or.vaː xáː.ke.aːn oːkòːm]

West Charric:
ḳar šərva xacan nuḳumam.
[ˈkʼar ˈçər.βa xaˈcan nuˈkʼu.mam]

Central Charric:
k'ad šarva xacan nuk'mmam.
[ˈkʰɑd ʃɑrˈvɑ xɑˈtʃ͡ɑn nukʰˈmːam]

East Charric:
kuaḏ hēorvā xācēan ūkuom.
[ˈkʷað ˈhøːr.vaː ˈxaː.tʃ͡eː.an ˈu.kʷom]

Northeast Charric:
ḳad sērvă xācan nōḳwāmam.
[ˈkˤad ˈseːr.vˤə xaːˈts͡an noːkˤ.waːˈmam]
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

I re-figured-out Alál's voice system, which is a grand mess. There is an active/"passive" distinction (more of an inverse, but the passive is also used to promote oblique nouns to subject position, so the name is inaccurate anyhow) as well as a separate "causative" marker which essentially just increases the valency by one. This interacts with the prepositions kxa and zta, where the former fills space in the "argument queue" (allowing a third argument when the verb specifies only two) and the latter cycles the queue forward by one (allowing the first argument to be popped out of the verb and made into an oblique object, letting the second and third be specified by verbal agreement). So, the verb describes XY and kxa allows Z, while zta specifies X and allows the verb to describe YZ. The passive/inverse swaps the verb arguments, thus allowing all three to be (through various combinations of inversion and kxa/zta) in subject position, which is necessary to form subordinate clauses and the closest things Alál has to adjectives.

Uhtá. - Active Transitive
see<1.2>
I see you.

Uhtát. - Passive Transitive
see<1.2>-PASS
I am seen by you.

Uhá. - Active Intransitive
see<1>
I am visible/I reflect light.

Uháaxt. - Circumstantial
see<1>-under-PASS
I have underneath me something visible.

Zta Uháaxkxat aẓár. - Circumstantial
zta see<1>-under-kxa-PASS 2<OBL.AUG>
I have underneath me something being seen by you.

These constructions are extremely relevant to subordinate clauses, noun modifiers, and name formation.
--- You can actually get as far as a circumstantial causative, which through promotion of the "under" oblique forces a fourth argument (giving us XYZQ) into subject position, but this pushes the third argument out of the zta-kxa queue, and there is no longer any way to refer to it. Zta gives us X, and pushes YZ forward into the verb agreement, but that position is already filled by Q (indicated by the "intransitive passive" construction); kxa fills the next empty space, which should be Z but is instead Y because Q took Y's slot in the verb. This means that Z is left out in the cold; you can never specify, using this construction, what is being shown:

Uháaxkxaztaùt.
see<1>-under-kxa-zta-CAUS-PASS
I have someone showing something to someone else underneath me.

Ztaù aẓár kxa Uháaxùt asáḷ.
zta-PREP 2<OBL.AUG> kxa see<1>-under-CAUS-PASS 3<OBL.AUG>
I have you showing something to him underneath me.

I do feel obliged to mention that this is intended to be an alien language and not especially naturalistic, but I am nonetheless quite happy that (after, what, three years now?) I at last have a system that reliably works.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

This is technically an accomplishment from late last June, but I don't think I ever mentioned it here.

For years I'd been calling my conworld "Bwana" /ˈbwana~ˈbʷana/. I can't even remember how I came up with that name, because it doesn't mean anything, and it doesn't even fit the phonology of my main conlang (an eventual descendent of the protolang for Project Ypsilon). I'd never really been satisfied with it, and at at some point I found out that it means master, lord, or boss in Swahili, but it got the job done well enough.

However, I guess I got fed up with it near the beginning of last summer, and came up with "Hamyo" /ˈhamʲo/ as a replacement. It doesn't mean anything either (at least not yet), but I currently like the sound of it a lot better.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

shimobaatar wrote: 15 Feb 2018 01:30 As far as I can tell, my last post in this thread about an accomplishment of my own was about 10 months ago. Time for some self-reflection and a status update that no one asked for.
Spoiler:
I've been really stuck in terms of conlanging for the past few years, really. When I was in high school, all of my linguistic knowledge was self-taught (looking back now that I'm in college, I actually think I did a half decent job teaching myself, but I can't express how glad I am to now be getting a formal education in this stuff), and I was sick at home in bed for almost two years, or, in other words, I had a lot of free time. Since Fall 2016, I've been a full-time college student, and my health's been a lot better. And those are good things! However, they also mean I have a lot less free time to conlang, or to do much of anything really (I'm absolutely terrible at time management, so I end up spending most of my waking hours on schoolwork). Additionally, I've been taking formal linguistics classes. This increase in my knowledge of how languages work, along with the expected shifts in my personal tastes that go along with aging, has made me come to really dislike most of my conlangs, including nearly everything that's been posted here.

I lost interest in making a priori languages for a while, but with a posteriori languages, resources are hard to find, it's difficult to avoid copying existing languages, and I end up comparing what I've made to natural languages a lot more than I did with my a priori conlangs. I'm still interested in making a posteriori languages, but lately I've been regaining interest in making a priori ones. Now that I'm taking more and more specialized linguistics classes, and I'm learning more and more about how languages work, hopefully I'll be able to make languages that I'll be able to stay proud of.

I think I've said here on the board before once or twice that I don't like to ever fully abandon a language. That's still absolutely the case. I've been looking over my old stuff recently, and trying to figure out what went wrong, and why I no longer like it. There seems to be a lot of stuff, especially aesthetically, that I was willing to put up with when I was even just a few years younger that I can no longer tolerate now. Another big thing seems to be that I was really afraid of putting restrictions on myself, especially phonologically, which led me to approach so-called "kitchen sink" territory. I'm currently working, sporadically, on updated versions of a lot of old stuff, but primarily Project Ypsilon, at least at the moment. I'm still trying to improve my health, and hopefully my productivity will improve along with it.

Maybe it's just because I've had a few bad experiences with language classes at my college, but I've also found myself growing disinterested in actually learning languages to speak them, as opposed to generally studying them as a linguist. I think that part of me is still interested, although I may just be trying to convince myself of that for nostalgia's sake. Maybe I just have to accept that I'm no longer interested in learning whatever languages are available to me, and/or find better classes? We'll see.

I've seemingly also fallen out of love with conworlding, to some degree. I still want to consider the world in which my a priori languages are hypothetically spoken, and the cultures by which they are hypothetically spoken, but I'm no longer interested in writing fiction set in that world and/or featuring those cultures. Maybe I'll change my mind back at some point, but I haven't been interested in that for a while now, really. I'm still very interested in writing, though, and I've actually had a lot of ideas in that regard over the past few years, but I think I'll stick to using Earth (albeit with some sci-fi/fantasy elements) as a setting.

It felt good to put this into words and type it all out. I don't expect anyone else to care. Hopefully I'll actually have some new and improved stuff of my own to post here in the relatively near future.
Wow! Thanks for sharing this, Shimobaatar. I'm glad you're back to a priori languages, because I prefer them myself. A posteriori conlanging has never been fun for me.

And I'm glad that you don't scrap, because I'd hate to see Project Ypsilon go. I trust you'll do a good job at fixing the kitchen-sinkiness. Just remember: if the conlang is actually workable, rather than only existing as a description, it's not a kitchen-sink language.

And the search option shows only your last post in the results for the word "Hamyo", so you must not have mentioned it here!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Khemehekis wrote: 18 Feb 2018 06:59
And I'm glad that you don't scrap,
PLZ don't scrap!!!
Recycle! Repurpose!!
[;)]
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Khemehekis wrote: 18 Feb 2018 06:59 I'm glad you're back to a priori languages, because I prefer them myself. A posteriori conlanging has never been fun for me.

And I'm glad that you don't scrap, because I'd hate to see Project Ypsilon go.
Ah, thank you! I should clarify, though, that I'm not done with a posteriori languages by any means. My refusal to "scrap" also extends to that kind of conlang.
Khemehekis wrote: 18 Feb 2018 06:59 I trust you'll do a good job at fixing the kitchen-sinkiness. Just remember: if the conlang is actually workable, rather than only existing as a description, it's not a kitchen-sink language.
Certainly, but "kitchen-sinks" or not, my goal is to be able to be satisfied with what I make.
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I have radically changed one of my conlangs and renamed it Oochocreek. It's inspired by various north american languages such as Seneca, Otomi, Ojibwe, and Cherokee. Oochocreek is also somewhat inspired by Quechua.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

shimobaatar wrote: 15 Feb 2018 01:30[...] I don't expect anyone else to care. [...]
I just wanted to call this sentiment out a bit...

I am fully sure that lots of people are pleased to see your posting and commenting, no matter the content, because you are a valued part of the forum. I know this could come off a bit sappy, or whatever, but it's true. You were missed during your longish abscence from the boards, and folks have lamented (more than once) that you're not a part of the Discord server. Please don't feel like anything you have to say on here isn't of value.

There, now I can be done being nice for a while. 😋
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 22 Feb 2018 00:22
shimobaatar wrote: 15 Feb 2018 01:30[...] I don't expect anyone else to care. [...]
I just wanted to call this sentiment out a bit...

I am fully sure that lots of people are pleased to see your posting and commenting, no matter the content, because you are a valued part of the forum. I know this could come off a bit sappy, or whatever, but it's true. You were missed during your longish abscence from the boards, and folks have lamented (more than once) that you're not a part of the Discord server. Please don't feel like anything you have to say on here isn't of value.

There, now I can be done being nice for a while. 😋
Ah, sorry, I guess I gave the wrong impression there. I deeply appreciate the sentiment, but I didn't mean "I'm worthless and everything I do is worthless", but instead something more along the lines of "what I'm about to post is kind of long and lacks actual conlanging/conworlding content so I won't be offended when people skip over it".

Regarding Discord, I think I have an account technically, but I'm not entirely sure how it works to be perfectly honest. I don't want to spam this thread talking about that, though. [:)]
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

In non-conlanging news, I'm working on creating a short D&D adventure module from scratch. I've already read over a few free ones and have some ideas for how it could go, creatures and characters to include, various ways the adventure could turn out depending on the PCs' actions. I do just have to get these thoughts on paper, which in some ways is actually more daunting.

I also have several stories to do as giveaway prizes for two different blogs. I've honestly gotten very little down for those, but I have started actual writing on two of them so it's not like I'm doing nothing toward getting them done.

In conlanging news, I have restarted my cat lang so it's based a little farther back and splits from other Japonic languages earlier so I have more room to make it different before it becomes more influenced by irl historical Japanese again. I have some basic sound changes decided but I'm giving myself some leeway just because I'm working from a reconstruction and not a known, documented language.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I overhauled the gender system of the Hakhyakan language to something more simple and regular:

Code: Select all

A.FEM.SG    -ā
P.FEM.SG    -a
GEN.FEM.SG  -ū
A.FEM-PL    -ā-n
P.FEM-PL    -a-n
GEN.FEM-PL  -ū-ñ

A.MASC.SG   -ē
P.MASC.SG   -e
GEN.MASC.SG -ī
A.MASC-PL   -ē-n
P.MASC-PL   -e-n
GEN.MASC-PL -ī-ñ
I also changed the standard "-ic" morpheme from -īk-, which was too latinate for my taste to a more unique -xeoy-, now we have:
Haxyā́kā "Hakhyaka (country)" > Haxyā́kxeoyā "Hakhyakan (adjective)"

It is reflected in some of its descendants as:
Vṛḵaža "Vrkhazh (country)" > Vṛḵaššəya "Vrkhazhian (adjective)"
Ssəl(e)ya "Huslea (country)" > Ssəlišəya "Huslean (adjective)
Hämma "Hamba (country)" > Hämmšaya "Hambian (adjective)"
Hēḏŭānā "Hethwana (country)" > Hēḏŭānhēōyā "Hethwanic (adjective)"
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Over the last few days I’ve been getting some fairly revolutionary ideas about what I want to do with my conlang TLFKAT.

TLFKAT is a language I have worked with on and off since 2014 and it’s been through a number of permutations. The phonology has been more or less stable since I posted this version in 2016, but a satisfactory morphology always eluded me.

My latest idea is to experiment with turning TLFKAT into a biconsonantal verb root language. With around 100 phonemes, I obtain 10,000 roots which is more than enough. I then plan to use a number of infixes, gemination processes and reduplication to derive stem sets from each root. What has been particularly satisfying is that I’ve resurrected several morphophonological processes from my original TLFKAT sketch posted back in 2014.

TLFKAT was never meant to be a particularly naturalistic language by the way, but more of a flight of fancy. Hopefully something will come of it.
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

I read a paper on antipassives in Slavonic and found a connection between Vtayn and Barqi passives.

Vtayn has:
Antipassive h-
Passive -um
Circustantial -in (promotes the indirect object to subject)
And
Reflexive h- + -um
Autobenefactive h- + -in

Barqi has:
Antipassive (animate patient) -m
Antipassive inanimate patient -n

So originally:
Reflexive -um
Autobenefactive -in
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

I've been starting a more comprehensive list of Alál complex roots, which are the majority of verbal roots in the language. It's finally giving me a chance to mess with semantics, etymology, and various methods of grouping information. There's a complicated compounding system, and it's nice to finally get to toy with it. Compound verbs are identifiable predominantly by the presence of a CVVC final syllable when in the active voice. New vocabulary additions include:

Zraztaıàtxuad. I lose my grip on something due to slipperiness.
Zalìttaıızual. I maintain silence while being interrogated.
Saḷtaıàzùul. I give away my position to a predator.
Taráxızàaz. I am running out of time. (Idiomatic, post-Terran)
Lassızual. I meditate.
Raḷìtısxìır. I have hypothermia.
Dazàxìır. I have dislocated a limb.
Xrakḷıkıtaas. I am breaking and entering.
Xraxḷıàdaız. My group splits up despite being in a dangerous environment (as so often happens in Scooby Doo).

Most complex roots are defective in one way or another; while simple roots tend to have a full paradigm of possible meanings depending on axis, aspect, volition, and valency, complex roots never do. Some older compounds have fuller paradigms, with the most common variation being the development of a semantically related but originally idiomatic stative form (ZaZtaıàTXuD has a stative [and, notably, intransitive] form Zaztaıîtxuud, with the meaning of "I am slimy"; LaSsZuL has Lassîzuul "I have taken a religious vow of silence"; so on and so forth.) Most are either transitive or intransitive, lacking simple roots' flexible valency, and while axis is usually productive, many complex roots have incorporated axes that are mandatory (as in Taráxızàaz, which includes áx "motion downwards" due to its origin as a description of the motion of sand within an hourglass).

Edit: Also, pulled the old writing system up with the intent to rework it, but found I rather like what it is now.
Zraztaıàtxuad, Zaztaıîtxuud, Lassızual, Lassîzuul.
Last edited by kiwikami on 27 Feb 2018 03:50, edited 1 time in total.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I've come up with a fairly complex negation system for Lỏhondla, and have gotten a lot of work done on my other conlangs too. Lỏhondla is my first conlang where i have actually liked the negation system, and it's probably because its much less simplistic than my other conlang's systems.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Hyolobrika
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Hyolobrika »

I once thought of a system where each consonant is flipped between two manners of articulation to form opposites and negatives.
What's your negation system @Parlox? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6581#p273810
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I've been working on Nǫǫ’bıch Sotł and i realized, i'm getting sick of it's fusional tendencies. The whole point of working on Nǫǫ’bıch Sotł was to learn how native american languages work, and make a realistic one. But it looks like fusion is rare in native american languages, and it's getting rather annoying. So i'll likely split up the verb conjugation into multiple sets that describe different categories, not one big table.

As for Crazy-lang, i've finally decided on a phonology for it. I haven't done much else though.

And lastly (This will sound stupid), for some reason i have an intense and unexplainable desire to make a language heavily inspired by welsh. And it's really weird, it feels like a aching weight is on my chest, like it's something i need to do. Maybe i'm just tired and unreasonable though, it's 12 AM where i am.
Scytheria
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Scytheria »

Finally got my conscript working as a font, with all the ligatures working nicely! I'm so happy!
The conlang that uses the script, Eald Leodh, is a WIP, but becoming increasingly functional. It's a weird Anglo-Saxon offshoot that retains much of the language's Germanic vocabulary (albeit slightly twisted here and there), but fields the words in a highly agglutinating grammar that layers meanings on top of meanings to form things like: forbrondsuardhenman "a man who has been armed with a strong sword" (for - brond - suard(h) - en - man) = (BESTOW strong sword PASSIVE-ADJECTIVE man). I'll present it when it's passable.

Last edited by Scytheria on 01 Mar 2018 14:26, edited 2 times in total.
I went for a ride on a spaceship [O.O]
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

My Caucasian Semitic conlang I'm doing with help from Isfendi is coming along fantastically, I now have a full Swadesh list and enough to make example sentences like this.

<ნჷსჷთ ქჷლბს გზანჷ ესჰჷლჷქი>
[ˈnəsət ˈkəɮbɨs gɨˈzɑnə eshəˈɮəki]
woman dog-DAT road-LOC 3-CAUS-walk.PROG-FEM
"The woman is walking her dog along the road"