What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Dormouse559

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Dormouse559 »

Ælfwine wrote:All three? Interesting.
Thank you. [:)] I basically took the Old French system and added the dative. Then let more of it survive to the present day.
Ælfwine wrote:Okay, good to know. Then I guess my form shouldn't be tyalc but tyald [ˈcaɫd].
If Pannonian sound changes didn't treat -ōs (accusative masculine plural) that differently from -us, tyalc could be the plural.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Dormouse559 wrote:
Ælfwine wrote:All three? Interesting.
Thank you. [:)] I basically took the Old French system and added the dative. Then let more of it survive to the present day.
Ælfwine wrote:Okay, good to know. Then I guess my form shouldn't be tyalc but tyald [ˈcaɫd].
If Pannonian sound changes didn't treat -ōs (accusative masculine plural) that differently from -us, tyalc could be the plural.
Actually, I should note it's not from the accusative plural but the nominative plural, like in many Eastern Romance languages. The /t͡s/ in the plural comes from the palatalization of /t > t͡s/ and the final i drops. So I was right the first time, I just confused myself over your example [xD] .

But yes, that is correct. Funny how it winds up the same.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

So now I've finally figured out (I think) how the distinction works, I've added a specific/non-specific distinction to O Kanã's articles. Basically the specific forms are used for nouns which are referrig to an identifiable/unique/particular referent, while the non-specific ones do not (note that this is definitely not the same as a definite/indefinite distinction). There's a lot of interaction with polarity and TAM as can be seen in the following examples.

isokeda o boa
<is>oke-da o boa
<PRF>see-1.ERG N.SPE snake
I saw a/the snake

isokeda i boa/bisoaokeda
<is>oke-da i boa/<is>boa-oke-da
<PRF>see-1.ERG N.NSP snake/<PRF>snake-see-1.ERG
I saw snakes

ẽ isokeda o boa
ẽ <is>oke-da o boa
NEG <PRF>see-1.ERG N.SPE snake
I did not see the snake

ẽ isokeda i boa
ẽ <is>oke-da i boa
NEG <PRF>see-1.ERG N.NSP snake
I did not see a snake/any snakes

sĩ‘ãõkeda o boa
sĩ‘ã-oke-da o boa
want-see-1.ERG N.SPE snake
I want to see the snake

sĩ‘ãõkeda i boa
sĩ‘ã-oke-da i boa
want-see-1.ERG N.NSP snake
I want to see a snake/snakes
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

I translated this song into the early South-Western dialect of Middle English (from a ca. 1250s London dialect). I erased all references to Christianity if this translation ever were to be used in a special context (Fantasy-RPGs) and a German translation is on its way.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

I dug up some resources on Cappadochian Greek. It is a lot to go through, but when I am done I will hopefully have a good idea on how to develop my conlang, given the similar circumstances to Cappadochian.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I made two new characters today, despite my leg being in constant pain, and added them to my wiki page:
ImageImage
They are <gwi> and <ġo>, respectively. Since the word "turtledove" in English is related to the word for turtle itself, I thought it would be fun to take inspiration from the characters in Chinese for their words and forms, however they are switched so that the word for "turtle" in Vingdagese looks a bit like dove, and vice versa. When written together, as they are above, it refers to a mythical feathered flying reptile with a hard shell on his underbelly. Not precisely sure what it will look like exactly. But, it does help me flesh out my view of their world a bit.
Void
sinic
sinic

Post by Void »

Translated the Lord's Prayer into Symiric. Only needed to create words for "debt" and "temptation." Probably a good sign that my conlang is getting along well.
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

Spent part of the morning digging through old notes for a conlang I did for a linguistics typology class back in college; it's awful, but it did some odd things with adpositions that I might be able to use in a future project without needing to bring the rest of that discontinuous mess into it. I would like to begin writing a more formal grammar for HyPry so as to better-organize my notes, and to straighten out the currently rather overly complex syntactic rules. I haven't had much time to conlang lately as I've been rather distracted by other linguistics pursuits (namely, the shitton of weekly class readings that I am currently procrastinating on), but I did make some headway this evening adding glyphs to HyPry's sun-form script. There are about thirty roots with glyphs now, and a decent handful of classifiers as well as the most common particles.

This pleases me.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

Work on Sorpear has started up again, i have gotten quite a bit done today, and i plan to do more tomorrow.

No work has been done on any of my conlangs for a week, beyond a few ideas lumped together and then ignored.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

kiwikami wrote:[...] I would like to begin writing [...]. I haven't had much time to conlang lately as I've been rather distracted by other linguistics pursuits (namely, the shitton of weekly class readings that I am currently procrastinating on), [...]
I can relate to that.
In other news, I am doing some light conlanging with a triliteral conlang that some of you might have noticed in the translation thread. (Light because lexicon and phonology is mostly relexed from natlangs).
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

I created a conlang sketch in the recent days - a first since God knows when. I did 3 iterations that are very different from one another - e.g., one with heavy infixation, another one with metathesis... Let's see if something presentable ever comes out of it. I'm happy that I actually created something, though.

I also created a culture for these people to live in (in the new conworld I mentioned in my thread.) All in all, I'm quite happy that I'm doing something creative again.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I found a fellow member of Facebook's "Conlang" group who wants me to discuss my 2ndary conlang Arpien with her.
It's probably premature for me to list "Started that discussion" as an accomplishment. But; soon, I hope!
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

I added myself with my conlang textbook publication to Frathwiki's conlangers bibliography.

I feel important [B)]

@Elemtilas: I used excerpts of The World as translation exercises in the book, with references to you, of course. If you are not happy with the way that it is used, I can remove it in the next edition.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Reyzadren wrote:I added myself with my conlang textbook publication to Frathwiki's conlangers bibliography.

I feel important [B)]
That is quite the accomplishment indeed! And that's why the Bibliography is there!
@Elemtilas: I used excerpts of The World as translation exercises in the book, with references to you, of course. If you are not happy with the way that it is used, I can remove it in the next edition.
Oo, now I've got track down and read this wonderwork of the glossopoetic art!
Alessio
sinic
sinic

Post by Alessio »

Today, November 4, 2017, is a great day!
At 22:39 CET I added the 1000th word to my big Hecathver dictionary!
The word is stÿće /'stytsε/ and means "thin, skinny". I wanted it to follow the "rule" that says that Hecathver words must have a funny (or pathetic...) etymology, so I derived it from the Italian word stuzzicadenti /ˌstuttsika'dεnti/, meaning "toothpick", which is something you'd call a very thin guy.
Hecathver as an actual conlang project began at the end of July 2012, that means it took me about five years and three months to rech this goal. I'm very proud and happy I've made it so far!
I'm sure there are a lot of people in this forum who have much larger dictionary files, and I can't do anything else but bow down in front of them. Long live conlanging!
:ita: :eng: [:D] | :fra: :esp: :rus: [:)] | :con: Hecathver, Hajás, Hedetsūrk, Darezh...

Tin't inameint ca tót a sàm stê żōv'n e un po' cajoun, mo s't'armâgn cajoun an vōl ménga dîr t'armâgn anc żōven...
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:I made two new characters today, despite my leg being in constant pain, and added them to my wiki page:
ImageImage
They are <gwi> and <ġo>, respectively. Since the word "turtledove" in English is related to the word for turtle itself, I thought it would be fun to take inspiration from the characters in Chinese for their words and forms, however they are switched so that the word for "turtle" in Vingdagese looks a bit like dove, and vice versa. When written together, as they are above, it refers to a mythical feathered flying reptile with a hard shell on his underbelly. Not precisely sure what it will look like exactly. But, it does help me flesh out my view of their world a bit.
They look so pretty. :o the left symbol really looks like a sea turtle. Sorry to hear about your leg. I hope it gets better
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

I know it's a double post, but I didn't want to put my comments on someone else's stuff and my own in a single post.
I've been working on a legitimate Hlai-lang. Right now I'm compiling a list of Proto-Hlai words. Here's the one word I've teased out from there. fa˦˩ < hwaːŋʔ
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

Alessio wrote:At 22:39 CET I added the 1000th word to my big Hecathver dictionary!
I'm sure there are a lot of people in this forum who have much larger dictionary files, and I can't do anything else but bow down in front of them. Long live conlanging!
Not necessarily. I don't really keep count of words in my conlang, but I estimate that it has around 1700 words, and I can translate almost anything into it. In fact, I don't think I want to even go beyond 2300++

Like, I know there are conlangs with much more words (10000++) from other people, and that's great because it works for them. But, for some other conlangs (like mine), it doesn't need that many base words, so having a low amount is actually fine.

*Encouragement*
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

qwed117 wrote:They look so pretty. :o the left symbol really looks like a sea turtle.
Thanks!
Sorry to hear about your leg. I hope it gets better
Me too, I pulled or maybe partially tore my hamstring, and it has been a bitch... especially while driving and at work. Oh well, it is slowly getting better.

As for the double post thing? I sometimes will use the horizontal bar to separate disparate replies so as to not double post but also be clear about what is referring to what.

(The "hr" button gives you this:
)
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:.... I pulled or maybe partially tore my hamstring, and it has been a bitch... especially while driving ....
Ouch!
I pulled my groin muscle-or-tendon several months ago, and I still have to be careful how I sit in my car's driver's seat. But it's a lot better than it used to be!
My doctor's nurse told me that "at my age" it would take a long time to heal. She recommended hot baths to both temporarily reduce the pain and also speed up the healing.
Don't know how it applies to hamstrings, though I'm betting it does.

I'm 65 so I don't have work for it to bother me at.

You're only 37 -- always have been, always will be [;)] -- so you're not at retirement age yet. OTOH a young kid like you ought to heal quicker than a senior citizen like me! [:)]

At least, if it's not torn. And I both hope it isn't torn, and hope you'll heal fast.