What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Shemtov »

Posted Sakasõdakakowi, an idea for a Wanian language that had been brewing for a couple of days, as I had read about the Natlang Tobati (which is crazy as all hell), as I want Wanian to express the variety of Austronesian (as it is the Austronesian equivalent of tWoF), and while I had languages based on the Formosan Languages, Phillipine, Malagasy, Javanese, Malayic, Moken, Fijian–Polynesian, I had no Western Oceanic equivalent, so I created the Tall Islandic Branch, which is based on WO, with Sakasõdakakowi being influenced by the North New Guinea Linkage, plus some Malayic.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
yangfiretiger121
sinic
sinic

Post by yangfiretiger121 »

Added a base 1,000 measurement system. It's noted as base 1,000 because the prefixes equivalent to 1000−2/3 (centi), 1000−1/3 (deci), 10001/3 (deca), and 10002/3 (hecto) are rarely used artifacts of a previous time.
Alien conlangs (Font may be needed for Vai symbols)
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

shimobaatar wrote: 06 Aug 2018 22:09
WeepingElf wrote: 06 Aug 2018 19:03 Last night, I got an idea of how tones work in Lo Dang, a monosyllabic, isolating and tonal IE language spoken in northwestern China.
Sounds like a cool project! Given the language's location, is there any close relation to Tocharian (apart from both being Indo-European)? What's the etymology of the language's name, if I might ask?
Yes, I imagine it to be quite close to Tocharian, but I don't know yet which way. I haven't worked out much of the Lo Dang sound changes yet, and know almost nothing about the Tocharian ones. The etymology of the language name is *h1leudhrom dnghh2, i.e. 'People's Tongue'.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

shimobaatar wrote: 06 Aug 2018 22:09
Lao Kou wrote: 06 Aug 2018 11:21 稲子豆 inagaumamée - carob
稲子/蝗 inagaue - locust
霧笛 moutéquie - foghorn

(Bringing the English dictionary count to 666 [}:D])
So nice to see Japoné語 again, even if the Beast is tagging along!
Thanks. One was able to move away from the Evil One today. Following 霧笛 yesterday, I ended up on the train to Enkaville (♪ ♫ Won't you take me to -- Enkatoooown?! ♫ ♪) (演歌). I wouldn't want a daily streaming diet of it, but I really enjoy enka. Anyway, I stumbled upon a very enka song, 霧笛の宿 (Muteki no Yado), sung by Miyako Ōtsuki (大月みやこ) -- plenty of new words, and we're just through the first stanza.

Man, I'd forgotten, yet again, how much slogging is involved (enjoyable, therapeutic slogging, but slogging nonetheless) in working with a fledgling dictionary. The Géarthnuns dictionary is hefty enough so that a new word or entry doesn't take much effort (but the entry count increases more slowly than before). In contrast, the Japoné語 dictionary entry count goes up really quickly since there are so few of them, but the establishment of new entries and the cross-referencing -- oy. A nice thing about today was that some entries were expanded on, so it's beginning to look less like a one-to-one gloss, entry = word, wordlist.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

(Post #9996.)
Keenir2 wrote: 07 Aug 2018 00:07 I (Rodlox,Keenir) got a new CBB ID because I got locked out of my Hotmail last night

tried to work out how the Classical Greek words "nix" / "nyx" would evolve if given an island where they'd go nuts from sheer isolation have the place to themselves for forever and all time (*g*)...thus far, its at [nytS] / [nAs] though I'm not wild about either.
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that!

Any ideas regarding where this island might be?
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Keenir2 wrote: 07 Aug 2018 00:07 I (Rodlox,Keenir) got a new CBB ID because I got locked out of my Hotmail last night
that's bad to hear
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

Is it weird that it took me this long to create a "to be" verb? The fact is, I had a preliminary one, simply because I would have almost no ability to write example sentences without one, but it's only now that I'm writing out the full conjugation of it.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 07 Aug 2018 18:31 Is it weird that it took me this long to create a "to be" verb? The fact is, I had a preliminary one, simply because I would have almost no ability to write example sentences without one, but it's only now that I'm writing out the full conjugation of it.
not really

also I think it is ok if a language has no verbs equivalent to "to be", you can just use "X Y" to indicate the meaning "X is Y", and in some of my conlangs I do this...like Lonmai Luna
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Keenir2
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Keenir2 »

shimobaatar wrote: 07 Aug 2018 18:03 (Post #9996.)

tried to work out how the Classical Greek words "nix" / "nyx" would evolve if given an island where they'd go nuts from sheer isolation have the place to themselves for forever and all time (*g*)...thus far, its at [nytS] / [nAs] though I'm not wild about either.
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that!

Any ideas regarding where this island might be?
right now, its in some sort of manipulated reality....a Snapshot https://dalecozort.wordpress.com/ (and yes I asked and got permission beforehand)
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

I just made the Culet-Mayato script...which is going to be an abugida written horizontally from left to right.

As its name suggests, it is shared by both of the Mayato language and the Culet language.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

A potential new :grc: lang in the works?

[:)]
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

k1234567890y wrote: 08 Aug 2018 21:14 I just made the Culet-Mayato script...which is going to be an abugida written horizontally from left to right.

As its name suggests, it is shared by both of the Mayato language and the Culet language.
Huzzah for abugidas!
Proceed!!
[:D]
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Lambuzhao wrote: 08 Aug 2018 21:48
k1234567890y wrote: 08 Aug 2018 21:14 I just made the Culet-Mayato script...which is going to be an abugida written horizontally from left to right.

Huzzah for abugidas!
Proceed!!
[:D]
thanks (:
Keenir2
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Keenir2 »

Lambuzhao wrote: 08 Aug 2018 21:47

sadly, no, at least not thus far: so far, its a barebones naming lang
nox -> [nAs]
nix -> [nytS]
? -> Naia {fm character's given name; former child soldier, so I was thinking of an Achilles reference for a nickname or non-famial surname she'd been given - on the logic of "perhaps achilles becomes a synonym or replacement for myrmidon" }

unfortunately, what few resources I have on surname formation and the origins of surnames, gives short shrift to the Greek surnames and patrynomics: only covering modern Greek. any suggestions on Classical or pre-Classical patrynomics/sites for said patrynomics?

thank you.

{ps: I may fuse this naming lang with my Faux Anatolian that's been simmering in my notebooks for a few weeks now...that may help them both}
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Turning and returning to some untied laces and unfinished business from last summer,
I helped my son brainstorm a bit further on his work-in-progress Subnautica+Spore game mashup.
We were discussing some of the biomes of the planet in question, and then the conversation turned to what the planet looked like, with regard to landmasses and bodies of water. He had some vague notions, but, despite his artistry, never drew sketch one of the planet's geography.

So, we visited Donjon's Fractal World Generator. We tinkered with parameters, and came up with 4~5 planetary maps that came closest to what he had in mind, moving him on to happily create in more directions.

It was all I could do to help nudge my son beyond the cusp of dogday doggery.

Slowly, slowly sprint ye Stallions of Summerswane!
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Keenir2 wrote: 08 Aug 2018 21:58
Lambuzhao wrote: 08 Aug 2018 21:47

sadly, no, at least not thus far: so far, its a barebones naming lang
nox -> [nAs]
nix -> [nytS]
? -> Naia {fm character's given name; former child soldier, so I was thinking of an Achilles reference for a nickname or non-famial surname she'd been given - on the logic of "perhaps achilles becomes a synonym or replacement for myrmidon" }

unfortunately, what few resources I have on surname formation and the origins of surnames, gives short shrift to the Greek surnames and patrynomics: only covering modern Greek. any suggestions on Classical or pre-Classical patrynomics/sites for said patrynomics?

thank you.

{ps: I may fuse this naming lang with my Faux Anatolian that's been simmering in my notebooks for a few weeks now...that may help them both}
so I was thinking of an Achilles reference for a nickname or non-famial surname she'd been given
Achilliades?

Some possibles references:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_G ... onal_names

https://www.britac.ac.uk/pubs/proc/files/104p015.pdf

https://books.google.com/books?id=UQLm4 ... cs&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=E1Jwa ... cs&f=false

:wat:
Keenir2
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Keenir2 »

Lambuzhao wrote: 08 Aug 2018 22:11
Keenir2 wrote: 08 Aug 2018 21:58so I was thinking of an Achilles reference for a nickname or non-famial surname she'd been given
Achilliades?

Some possibles references:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_G ... onal_names
https://www.britac.ac.uk/pubs/proc/files/104p015.pdf
https://books.google.com/books?id=UQLm4 ... cs&f=false
https://books.google.com/books?id=E1Jwa ... cs&f=false

:wat:
Thank you very much for these; they are already proving most useful, and I expect that usefulness of the sites to continue. much appreciated.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

I decided to make the Town Speech/Urban Basanawa word /land̥/ "land" and /gɹʊnd̥/ "ground" share the same Kanji, which is 地...as I feel it might be the best choice considering the semantics.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

k1234567890y wrote: 09 Aug 2018 07:20 I decided to make the Town Speech/Urban Basanawa word /land̥/ "land" and /gɹʊnd̥/ "ground" share the same Kanji, which is 地...as I feel it might be the best choice considering the semantics.
With a little prodding, I was able to get my boyfriend to recall how to say 捉迷藏 (zhuō mí cáng - hide-n-seek) in Shanghainese. According to him, it's 伴羊磨磨 and 摸瞎子. So, k1234567890y, would you happen to know how to say this in 台語/学佬话?
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Lao Kou wrote: 09 Aug 2018 12:44
k1234567890y wrote: 09 Aug 2018 07:20 I decided to make the Town Speech/Urban Basanawa word /land̥/ "land" and /gɹʊnd̥/ "ground" share the same Kanji, which is 地...as I feel it might be the best choice considering the semantics.
With a little prodding, I was able to get my boyfriend to recall how to say 捉迷藏 (zhuō mí cáng - hide-n-seek) in Shanghainese. According to him, it's 伴羊磨磨 and 摸瞎子. So, k1234567890y, would you happen to know how to say this in 台語/学佬话?
uncertain...sorry