What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Ahzoh »

Decided that my conplanet Sedi would have a surviving species of pterosaur very much like a Quetzalcoatlus.
Vrkhazhians would call them meḵiṉsi "world terror" because they're large and terrifying and can basically travel the entire planet really fast.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Ahzoh wrote:Decided that my conplanet Sedi would have a surviving species of pterosaur very much like a Quetzalcoatlus.
Vrkhazhians would call them meḵiṉsi "world terror" because they're large and terrifying and can basically travel the entire planet really fast.
Heh, I've for a long time pondered whether to have enormous feathered wyverns in my conworld. On the one hand, who wouldn't want enormous feathered wyverns!? On the other hand, I don't really want to introduce too many fantasy elements, so for now at least, wyverns are not canon.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

DesEsseintes wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:Decided that my conplanet Sedi would have a surviving species of pterosaur very much like a Quetzalcoatlus.
Heh, I've for a long time pondered whether to have enormous feathered wyverns in my conworld. On the one hand, who wouldn't want enormous feathered wyverns!? On the other hand, I don't really want to introduce too many fantasy elements, so for now at least, wyverns are not canon.
Shhh, no wyverns, only noom. Noom will give you all that you want. Noom
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

DesEsseintes wrote:
It isn't fantasy when it's existed before.
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

No, of course it is. That pterosaurs ever existed is not fantasy, but modern-day pterosaurs exist only in your head and are not real and hence are fantasy.
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

MrKrov wrote:No, of course it is. That pterosaurs ever existed is not fantasy, but modern-day pterosaurs exist only in your head and are not real and hence are fantasy.
by that logic, conlangs are fantasy -- other languages have existed before, but they don't exist now (modern real languages do exist), and hence are fantasy.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Keenir wrote:
MrKrov wrote:No, of course it is. That pterosaurs ever existed is not fantasy, but modern-day pterosaurs exist only in your head and are not real and hence are fantasy.
by that logic, conlangs are fantasy -- other languages have existed before, but they don't exist now (modern real languages do exist), and hence are fantasy.
What? That doesn't sound like the same logic to me at all.

That being said, though, I don't see what's wrong with considering worlds where conlangs are spoken as if they were natlangs fantasy settings to some degree. It's up to the individual conlanger.
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

Keenir:

I'm confused. Which part did you not get? The part that previously existing things were not fantasy or the part where formerly existing things having modern day continuation (only in your head) is only pretend fantasy fiction? If the latter: show me the pterosaur!

I'm also not sure you know what is a conlang.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Dunno, when I hear "fantasy" I think of impossible things, like magic and large fire breathing reptiles with not only four limbs but wings too. Things that intentionally defy our physics and biology and aren't pretending they don't.
Having a modern continuation of an extinct species is just fiction.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Proto-Haxyakika allows a complex arrangement between tonic vowels and atonic vowels and between short vowels and long vowels within a syllable nucleus (however the constituent vowels do not behave quite like diphthongs). The descendant Himoshika simplifies this arrangement to just between long vowels and short vowels within a syllable nucleus. Takshian just eliminates the arangement altogether through length-weighted elision leaving just either short vowels or long vowels within a syllable nucleus (sister languages undergo vowel coalescence instead).
Haxyakika
V₁V₂ (e.g. sótuakā "twelve")
V₁V̀₂
V₁V́₂
V₁V̄₂
V₁V̄̀₂
V₁V̄́₂
V́₁V₂
V́₁V̄₂ (e.g. méōxē "terror")
V̀₁V₂
V̀₁V̄₂
V̄₁V₂
V̄₁V́₂
V̄₁V̀₂
V̄₁V̄₂
V̄₁V̄́₂
V̄₁V̄̀₂
V̄́₁V₂ (e.g. ǧī́ak "my, mine")
V̄́₁V̄₂ (e.g. vū́ā "cane")
V̄̀₁V₂
V̄̀₁V̄₂

Himoshika
V₁V₂
V₁V̄₂
V̄₁V₂
V̄₁V̄₂

Takshayka
V₁V₂ > V₁
V₁V̄₂ > V̄₂
V̄₁V₂ > V̄₁
V̄₁V̄₂ > V̄₂
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Ahzoh wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:
It isn't fantasy when it's existed before.
Just for the record, since an interesting discussion on what falls under fantasy and what doesn't ensued, I was only referring to the possible wyverns in my setting as "fantasy". I wasn't really talking about your pterosaurs, Ahzoh. However, if I come across humans and pterosaurs prancing around on the same planet in a work of fiction, I would definitely assume said work was going in a fantasy/sci-fi/"lost world" direction. What exact genre I eventually assign to it (personally) would depend on the preponderance of other elements, like elves, robots, and cannibalistic tribes of Neanderthals.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

(As an aside, I hate being the last post on a <previous> page... YES, I know I sound like I am attention-seeking, or something.)
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:(As an aside, I hate being the last post on a <previous> page... YES, I know I sound like I am attention-seeking, or something.)
I think the numbers are very pretty. I'm making a hangul like system, and I'm taking a good deal of inspirating from you.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:(As an aside, I hate being the last post on a <previous> page... YES, I know I sound like I am attention-seeking, or something.)
So a lot of people don't read the last posts on a previous page once a new page has been started? Is that why Rodiniye at first didn't respond to my post at
http://cbbforum.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 75#p263975 ?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I've been working on a new conworld, Sorpear. Some of the neatest aspects of it (in my opinion), are it is tidally locked, the oceans on the dark side are inhabited with bioluminescent bacteria. Its most populous intelligent species are the Oavays (Small colorful turtles).
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

qwed117 wrote:I think the numbers are very pretty.
Thanks for saying so!
I'm making a hangul like system, and I'm taking a good deal of inspirating from you.
Well, thanks again! Do you mean my language Shitëel? That one uses a very Hangul aesthetic to its letters. Also, I'm glad to inspirate folks 'round these parts. ( [xP] )
Khemehekis wrote:So a lot of people don't read the last posts on a previous page once a new page has been started? Is that why Rodiniye at first didn't respond to my post at
http://cbbforum.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 75#p263975 ?
I mean, I can't know that for sure... but it is indeed possible. It seems to be a known thing that popular threads on forums often have folks sail right on to the newest page when they check on a thread without realizing that the previous post or two on the bottom of the previous page were never seen. I don't think it's something that happens on purpose, but just seems to be the case of forums in general. I know the same problem existed on an MMORPG's forum that I used to frequent. I think it's just a case where someone goes "oh, now this thread goes to page 14, last time I was here, it was only 13 and pretty long, betcha the newest stuff is on 14" and just not see that they did indeed miss a couple things on the tail end of the previous page. *shrug* I'll get over it. [:)]
Parlox wrote:I've been working on a new conworld, Sorpear. Some of the neatest aspects of it (in my opinion), are it is tidally locked, the oceans on the dark side are inhabited with bioluminescent bacteria. Its most populous intelligent species are the Oavays (Small colorful turtles).
Sounds intriguing. If I remember correctly, tidally-locked worlds will tend to have a super cold side, and a nigh-unberably hot side (dependent on distance from the sun). Does that mean your turtle-folk inhabit the region around the periphery of the hot-side? (Also, how do you pronounce the name? Like the fruit: Soar-pear; or like a fellow who is of the same rank/status as you: Soar-peer? (Or some other way?)
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

MrKrov wrote:Keenir:

I'm confused. Which part did you not get? The part that previously existing things were not fantasy or the part where formerly existing things having modern day continuation (only in your head) is only pretend fantasy fiction? If the latter: show me the pterosaur!
Its just curious where you seem to draw the line denoting fantasy -- not at the periodic invasions of that world by enemies from another dimension (and i have vague memories of discussions about magic on that world), but the addition of one critter that looks like a big pterosaur.

If Ahzoh's fictional works are fantasy because its being made up...we make up conlangs, ergo the analogy i made with what i saw of your logic there.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Keenir wrote: Its just curious where you seem to draw the line denoting fantasy -- not at the periodic invasions of that world by enemies from another dimension (and i have vague memories of discussions about magic on that world), but the addition of one critter that looks like a big pterosaur.
Who said MrKrov wouldn't have classified Ahzoh's conworld as a fantasy setting before now?
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:Sounds intriguing. If I remember correctly, tidally-locked worlds will tend to have a super cold side, and a nigh-unberably hot side (dependent on distance from the sun). Does that mean your turtle-folk inhabit the region around the periphery of the hot-side? (Also, how do you pronounce the name? Like the fruit: Soar-pear; or like a fellow who is of the same rank/status as you: Soar-peer? (Or some other way?)
My turtle creatures inhabit the cold side (It has similar temperatures to earth). Sorpear is pronounced "Soɹpiɹ".
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

(Forgive my lack of IPA just then, I was being overly lazy.)