False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Shemtov
mayan
mayan

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by Shemtov » Sun 10 Jun 2018, 05:58

Birdlang wrote:
Fri 08 Jun 2018, 11:32
Shemtov wrote:
Thu 07 Jun 2018, 19:34
:pol: <być>/bɨt͡ɕ/ "To be" :eng: Bitch
:lat: :esp: :ita: :por: Zona :rus: зона [zonə] "Zone" vs. :isr: [zona] "Whore"
:rus: сука /suka/ "Bitch" vs. :isr: /suka/ "Ritual hut for the Feast of Tabernacles"
Pal. :arab: /ʔe:ʃ/ "What" :isr: /ʔeɪʃ/ "fire"
:kor: -니다 [ɲida] "POL.DEC" :isr: /nida/ "Menstruating woman"
To add to the Russian one. :idn: suka means like.
:fin: :lva: <suka> "Currycomb" :phl: Cebuano <suka>"Vomit" Tagalog <suka> "Vinegar> :zaf: Zulu <suka> "To leave" "To come from" :que: <suka> "furrow" "Whistle" :ind: Pali सुक /suka/ "Parrot"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn » Sun 10 Jun 2018, 07:30

Shemtov wrote:
Sun 10 Jun 2018, 05:58
Birdlang wrote:
Fri 08 Jun 2018, 11:32
To add to the Russian one. :idn: suka means like.
:fin: :lva: <suka> "Currycomb" :phl: Cebuano <suka>"Vomit" Tagalog <suka> "Vinegar> :zaf: Zulu <suka> "To leave" "To come from" :que: <suka> "furrow" "Whistle" :ind: Pali सुक /suka/ "Parrot"
:jpn: スカ suka "ska"
Aszev
admin
admin

Post by Aszev » Sun 10 Jun 2018, 18:00

Imralu wrote:
Sat 09 Jun 2018, 22:03
Khemehekis wrote:
Sat 09 Jun 2018, 16:49
Like the way "liberal" means libertarian in Europe, but refers to someone on the anterior top left of a Vosem Chart (socially permissive, favoring Big Government on fiscal issues, against corporate personhood) in the U.S.?
I thought it was more the other way around
When talking ideology, I generally tend to interpret American 'liberal' as European 'social-democrat' or perhaps 'social-liberal'.

I wouldn't agree that 'liberal' means 'libertarian' in Europe, but maybe it depends on where you are, as the political landscape is far from homogenous. In Sweden we usually call libertarians nyliberaler (i.e. 'new liberals').
Sound change works in mysterious ways.

Image CE
Shemtov
mayan
mayan

Post by Shemtov » Sun 10 Jun 2018, 23:02

Aszev wrote:
Sun 10 Jun 2018, 18:00

When talking ideology, I generally tend to interpret American 'liberal' as European 'social-democrat' or perhaps 'social-liberal'.

I wouldn't agree that 'liberal' means 'libertarian' in Europe, but maybe it depends on where you are, as the political landscape is far from homogenous. In Sweden we usually call libertarians nyliberaler (i.e. 'new liberals').
Which I find interesting, because libertarians stateside try to ally themselves with the GOP, which is mostly conservative. The libertarian candidate last election tried to position himself as a PC alternative to Trump, to appeal to Right-leaning moderates, but he's nuttier then Trump mixed with Carson on acid. There is also a school of political philosophy here called "Libertarian Conservatism" who are conservatives that take influence, to varying degrees, from libertarian political philosophy. Reagan is considered the prime example. When Ron Paul ran for president, he tried to position himself as such, even though I think he's very much a Weak Conservative Libertarian (A Libertarian that takes light influence from conservatism), as did his son, Rand, who IMO toes the line between being a Strong Conservative Libertarian and a Strong Libertarian Conservative (Reagan was a Mid-Weak Libertarian Conservative)
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Wed 13 Jun 2018, 07:48

I remember a lot of libertarian (with a lower-case l) Millennials voting for Ron Paul in the 2008 and 2012 primaries. (In the 2016 election, they went with Gary Johnson, the Libertarian (with a capital L) candidate).

What I'd really like to see is an American candidate who is socially leftist, fiscally rightist, and leftist on corporate issues.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 56,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano » Sat 16 Jun 2018, 17:57

:kor: 사과 sagwa “apple” - :chn: 傻瓜 shǎguā “fool” (pronounced sǎguā in many dialects)
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2
Shemtov
mayan
mayan

Post by Shemtov » Wed 20 Jun 2018, 00:58

Palestinian :ara: /fəkkər/ "Thought (verb)" :eng: "Fucker"
-JRR Tolkien