False cognates

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Re: False cognates

Post by Prinsessa »

GrandPiano wrote:
CMunk wrote:Well, on that iffy note:
:hun: igen (yes) ~ :dan: igen (again)
How about :dan: igen "again" and :eng: again?
Those are true cognates. :p
CMunk
greek
greek

Post by CMunk »

GrandPiano wrote:
Wiktionary says they are cognates: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/again
Native: :dan: | Fluent: :uk: | Less than fluent: :deu:, :jpn:, :epo: | Beginner: Image, :fao:, :non:
Creating: :con:Jwar Nong, :con:Mhmmz
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

CMunk wrote:
GrandPiano wrote:
Wiktionary says they are cognates: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/again
I was going to say the same thing [:P]

However, a little more looking into suggest that it's only the "gain" ~ "gen" elements that are cognates while English "a-" goes back to Proto-Germanic "ana" while the Danish "i-" goes back to PG "in".
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

Hm, OK…

How about:
:zho: 男 nán "male" - :eng: man
:zho: 人 rén "person" - :eng: children (the "ren" part)
:zho: 说/說 shuō "to speak, to say" - :eng: "say" (kind of iffy)
:zho: 我 "I, me" - :eng: "we"
:zho: 屁 "fart" - :eng: "pee" (also kind of iffy)
kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

kahuna - :haw: :heb: 'priest'
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

kanejam wrote:kahuna - :haw: :heb: 'priest'
What is the Hebrew word for "priest"? Based on some limited prior knowledge, and the comparison to "kahuna", I'd guess it's related to the surname Cohen, but I'm not sure how far that's diverged from the word actually used in Hebrew.
Znex
roman
roman

Post by Znex »

shimobaatar wrote:
kanejam wrote:kahuna - :haw: :heb: 'priest'
What is the Hebrew word for "priest"? Based on some limited prior knowledge, and the comparison to "kahuna", I'd guess it's related to the surname Cohen, but I'm not sure how far that's diverged from the word actually used in Hebrew.
Yeah, it's <כוהן> /ko'hen/.
:eng: : [tick] | :grc: : [:|] | :chn: :isr: :wls: : [:S] | :deu: :ell: :rus: : [:x]
Conlangs: Hawntow, Yorkish, misc.
she/her
kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

Hmmm, according to Wiki there is a form of the word kohen which looks like kahuna.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

clawgrip wrote:Not false cognates, just a weird coincidence, but where else am I going to post this

English "to" and "two" essentially translate to Japanese "ni" and "ni". It's just a weird coincidence that they are homonyms of each other in both languages.
Similar to this, in Scots English and some other varieties, there's I and aye (= yes) being pronounced the same way, which a Swedish girl I knew found very interesting when she lived in Scotland because in Swedish, jag (I) and ja (yes), can be pronounced the same way.

Which reminds me of another false cognate.

:gla: :eng: aye
:nzl: āe (yes, to agree, to give assent)
I just noticed something like this in Kankonian.

In Kankonian, the verb for "to complain" is nabel. With the agent noun suffix -fash, this becomes nabelfash, bellyacher. In German, Nabel means navel. So Nabel is belly-button and nabelfash is bellyacher.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

Have Old Norse <mál> and Korean <말> mal been mentioned? I believe they both mean something along the lines of "langauge".
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

GrandPiano wrote:Have Old Norse <mál> and Korean <말> mal been mentioned? I believe they both mean something along the lines of "langauge".
As a matter of fact, yes [:)]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Dezinaa
greek
greek

Post by Dezinaa »

English dual and Korean 둘 dul "two".
English two and Korean 두 du /tuː/ "two".

Not sure what the difference in meaning between 둘 and 두 is, though.
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

Dezinaa wrote:English dual and Korean 둘 dul "two".
English two and Korean 두 du /tuː/ "two".

Not sure what the difference in meaning between 둘 and 두 is, though.
According to Wikipedia, it's the same as the difference between the Mandarin words 二 and 两, which also both mean "two": 二 and 둘 are the bare numerals, while 两 and 두 are used in front of measure words. In Mandarin, you use 二 in compound numerals like 23 (二十三) regardless of whether there's a measure word after it, but I don't know if it's the same in Korean.

It seems that while Mandarin only does this with 2, Korean also does it with 1, 3, 4, and 20. Also, while the pre-measure-word forms of the Korean numerals are just formed by dropping the final consonant, the Mandarin words 二 and 两 have completely different pronounciations of èr and liǎng, respectively.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

When I was younger, I had to take martial arts classes, and the specific style I was learning was from Korea. I remember we had to count to thirty in Korean while doing some kind of warm-up exercise, but even back then, when I knew nothing about Korean, I could tell that the pronunciations they gave us were highly Anglicized (and often quite mumbled). I've forgotten almost all of that now, but du~dul sounds familiar.

That has nothing to do with anything, really, but that's just what I was reminded of when Korean numbers were mentioned. I should really look up what the actual words are…
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

shimobaatar wrote:When I was younger, I had to take martial arts classes, and the specific style I was learning was from Korea. I remember we had to count to thirty in Korean while doing some kind of warm-up exercise, but even back then, when I knew nothing about Korean, I could tell that the pronunciations they gave us were highly Anglicized (and often quite mumbled). I've forgotten almost all of that now, but du~dul sounds familiar.

That has nothing to do with anything, really, but that's just what I was reminded of when Korean numbers were mentioned. I should really look up what the actual words are…
That probably was Tae-Kwon-Do. I remember doing some of it a while ago when I was around 7 years. Now I forgot most of the stuff.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

qwed117 wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:When I was younger, I had to take martial arts classes, and the specific style I was learning was from Korea. I remember we had to count to thirty in Korean while doing some kind of warm-up exercise, but even back then, when I knew nothing about Korean, I could tell that the pronunciations they gave us were highly Anglicized (and often quite mumbled). I've forgotten almost all of that now, but du~dul sounds familiar.

That probably was Tae-Kwon-Do. I remember doing some of it a while ago when I was around 7 years. Now I forgot most of the stuff.
Tang Soo Do, actually, but I'm sure the two styles aren't completely different from one another.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

kanejam wrote:Hmmm, according to Wiki there is a form of the word kohen which looks like kahuna.
It means "priesthood"
(Says a real Kohen)
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
CMunk
greek
greek

Post by CMunk »

CMunk wrote::jpn: -nai (negative morpheme) ~ :dan: nej (no)
:jpn: sou (as in "sou desu ne" = 'is that so?') ~ :eng: so

And in the following example, I am not quite sure of the second word's origin or spelling, but I think this is it.
:fra: papillon (butterfly) ~ nahuatl: papatl papalotl (butterfly)
Edit: Found the right word: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/papalotl
I edited this post to the right word. And more interestingly, it was borrowed into Spanish as :esp: papalote, which seems unrelated to the French :fra: papillon
Native: :dan: | Fluent: :uk: | Less than fluent: :deu:, :jpn:, :epo: | Beginner: Image, :fao:, :non:
Creating: :con:Jwar Nong, :con:Mhmmz
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Hebrew /(ʔ)aˈni/ and Mee/Ekari/Ekagi /a.ní/ both mean 1.SG
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Squall
greek
greek

Post by Squall »

What is a false cognate?
This list says that it has false cognates. I thought that false cognate is the eight item in the list below, but in this topic uses the definition of the fifth item.

1) Similar words, same origin, same meaning (origin, orīgine (Latin))
2) Similar words, same origin, different meaning (actual, actual(current in Spanish))
3) Different words, same origin, same meaning (beauty, bella (Latin))
4) Different words, same origin, different meaning (sure, sēcūrus(secure in Latin))
5) Similar words; different origin; same meaning (examples in this topic)
6) Similar words; different origin; different meaning (come, comer(eat in Portuguese))
7) Similar words; the origin does not matter; same meaning (includes 1 and 5)
8) Similar words; the origin does not matter; different meaning (includes 2 and 6)
English is not my native language. Sorry for any mistakes or lack of knowledge when I discuss this language.
:bra: :mrgreen: | :uk: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :epo: [:|] | :lat: [:S] | :jpn: [:'(]