False cognates

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Re: False cognates

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

... but you just did make it like English whether it was on purpose or not.
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

Yeah, unless you've used a word generator or derived it somehow, either diachronically or by some language-internal means and it's come from something very unlike the natlang word in question language you know (like if jeur came from giol < igola < ik+olna, for example), conlangs are not really a good source of "false cognates" because if you're just using pure inspiration, you can't say what precisely influenced your thoughts.

What I find really cool though is when some purely inspired stuff (or derived, for that matter) ends up weirdly close to natlang stuff that you definitely did not know about at the time you came up with it. For example, my pronoun system that I've carried through several langs for about the last ten years (I'm a serial monogamist with conlangs and I carry a lot forward to the next one) ... at some point I thought of putting it in Papua New Guinea as a language isolate ... I picked an uninhabited area and then saw that my pronoun system fits there pretty unremarkably.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

:tan: Swahili kama "as", "like"; "if" ... borrowed from Arabic kamaa
:esp: como "as", "like" (and of course cognates in its related languages)
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

:us-pa: Lenepe /ni/ :jpn: ニ /に /ni/ "Two"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Vlürch
greek
greek

Post by Vlürch »

:jpn: (ko) - child
:ind: Nyishi ko - child

:es-pv: hiru - three
:tur: :kur: Zazaki hiru - three
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

:eng: "Smack" :mex: Jacaltec <smak> /smaq'/ "To hit" :kor: 못 /mos/ [mot] "cannot" :mex: Jacaltec <Mat> "NEG." :irl: :sco: <Clann> :ita: Etruscan /klan/ "Child"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

And I'm told that: :eng: spank is not cognate to :por: espancar with a similar meaning. But the derivations are unknown. The Pt word does not seem to appear in any other Romance language.

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷
:isr: Obadiah and :ara: Abdullah, variants of a given name, mean "slave of God", both traceable to the Semitic root ʕ-b-d "slave; to work, serve". Not cognate to :esp: obedecer "obey" or its kin.
Edit: there's also :isr: Obed, mentioned first in Ruth 4:17,
for an even closer match.
Last edited by Pabappa on 25 Feb 2018 04:47, edited 1 time in total.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Assyrian Neo-Aramaic ṭĕrā / :jpn: tori (bird)
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

I thought I did this one already but I couldn't find it on a search....

:fra: échine "spine" != :lat: echinus "hedgehog, sea urchin; spiny animal". There's also :eng: "hedgehog" vs :pie: *héģhis, but the pronunciation of the PIE could be wrong.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

:eng: ponderous, pound
:tan: Swahili: -ponda "to crush", "to pound"
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

:deu: fegen "to sweep"; :isl: fága "to clean"
:tan: Swahili: -fagia "to sweep"
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

Got a structural one. Both :esp: Spanish and :tan: Swahili use the subjunctive for negative imperatives. The present subjunctive of Spanish a-thematic verbs (-ar verbs), the largest group of verbs, generally involves replacing a with e. In Swahili, all native Bantu verbs end with -a and this is changed to -e for the subjunctive.

Canta! Sing! (singular imperative)
Imba! Sing! (singular imperative)

No cantes! Don't sing! (singular imperative using subjunctive form)
Usiimbe Don't sing! (singular imperative using subjunctive form)

Cantas. = You sing.
Unaimba. = You sing.

Quiero que cantes. I want you to sing.
Nataka uimbe.
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

:tha: แฟน faen "boyfriend/girlfriend"
:eng: friend

The Thai term is actually borrowed from English fan and also has that meaning as well
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

:geo: /sami/ vs. :hkg: /sam˥/ and :kor: 삼 /sam/ "3"
Note that believers in Dene-Caucasian could say that they are cognates, that :geo: borrowed from a cognate of :ru-kb: /ʃə/
-JRR Tolkien
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

Shemtov wrote: 16 Mar 2018 18:07 :geo: /sami/ vs. :hkg: /sam˥/ and :kor: 삼 /sam/ "3"
The last two actually are cognates. 삼 is a loanword from Chinese. The native Korean word for three is apparently 셋 set.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

GrandPiano wrote: 16 Mar 2018 21:14
Shemtov wrote: 16 Mar 2018 18:07 :geo: /sami/ vs. :hkg: /sam˥/ and :kor: 삼 /sam/ "3"
The last two actually are cognates. 삼 is a loanword from Chinese. The native Korean word for three is apparently 셋 set.
I was comparing the :geo: to the two Cognates. Thus "vs." and " :hkg: /sam˥/ and :kor: 삼 /sam/
-JRR Tolkien
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

Shemtov wrote: 16 Mar 2018 23:04
GrandPiano wrote: 16 Mar 2018 21:14
I was comparing the :geo: to the two Cognates. Thus "vs." and " :hkg: /sam˥/ and :kor: 삼 /sam/
Ah, my bad, then.
Tuyono
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Tuyono »

:isr: mehuma מהומה - mess, a chaotic situation
:eng: mayhem
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

I think everyone on this board might not be surprised, but for an average person it might be quite surprising that the names of Iraq and Iran are not cognates.

Iraq derives from Arabic العراق al-ʿIrāq, which derives from a Semitic word uruk (related to water, due to the rivers Euphrat and Tigris).
Iran derives from Persian ايران Īrān - from Avestian Aryanam vaeja (Land of the Aryans)
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

:kor: <프르> [pʰɯɾɯ] "[Stem] To be blue" :eng: Blue
-JRR Tolkien