What have you been reading lately? (linguistic ed.)

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Re: What have you been reading lately?

Post by Ahzoh »

shimobaatar wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:That book I am reading, it's by Guy Deutscher...
Ah, then I do have it. If you don't mind my asking, how far have you gotten, and what have you thought of the book so far?
Page 18. I want to know which part of the book talks about Triconsonantal Root Systems as that is my entire reason for reading it.
There's no index or chapter directory or whatnot?
The have weird names like "Castle in The Sky"... as for index... I'm not able to skip to that section so I'd literally have to scroll through the 300 or so pages to the bottom...
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Ahzoh wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:That book I am reading, it's by Guy Deutscher...
Ah, then I do have it. If you don't mind my asking, how far have you gotten, and what have you thought of the book so far?
Page 18. I want to know which part of the book talks about Triconsonantal Root Systems as that is my entire reason for reading it.
There's no index or chapter directory or whatnot?
The have weird names like "Castle in The Sky"... as for index... I'm not able to skip to that section so I'd literally have to scroll through the 300 or so pages to the bottom...
Oh, you don't have it physically?
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

No... I have a pdf on my tablet...
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Ahzoh wrote:No... I have a pdf on my tablet...
If it would help you find the section you're looking for, I could try looking for it in my copy of the book tomorrow (well, technically today, since it's 12:14 am for me…).
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

shimobaatar wrote:
If it would help you find the section you're looking for, I could try looking for it in my copy of the book tomorrow (well, technically today, since it's 12:14 am for me…).
Aye, twould
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Ahzoh wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
Aye, twould
Well, the author, according to the back cover, is "a widely acclaimed scholar of ancient Semitic languages", so there are mentions of triconsonantal roots throughout the book, but the main sections in which they're discussed that I was able to find were Chapters 1 and 6, and Appendices B and C.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

I'm up to page 60 in Rosen and Alkire's "The Romance Languages: A Historical Introduction." Interesting book. It's hard to get a good chronology of changes though, nonetheless this book does a good job at explaining the sound shifts. I just wish there was something of a list.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Clio
sinic
sinic

Post by Clio »

Ælfwine wrote: 23 Jun 2018 04:30 I'm up to page 60 in Rosen and Alkire's "The Romance Languages: A Historical Introduction." Interesting book. It's hard to get a good chronology of changes though, nonetheless this book does a good job at explaining the sound shifts. I just wish there was something of a list.
Do you have From Latin to Romance in Sound Charts by Peter Boyd-Bowman? It's a very slim list of sound laws, and although they're arranged alphabetically, it's much easier to work out chronology from the words in which certain changes must have operated in a particular order.
Niûro nCora
Getic: longum Getico murmur in ore fuit
scratchpad
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Clio wrote: 24 Jun 2018 01:10
Ælfwine wrote: 23 Jun 2018 04:30 I'm up to page 60 in Rosen and Alkire's "The Romance Languages: A Historical Introduction." Interesting book. It's hard to get a good chronology of changes though, nonetheless this book does a good job at explaining the sound shifts. I just wish there was something of a list.
Do you have From Latin to Romance in Sound Charts by Peter Boyd-Bowman? It's a very slim list of sound laws, and although they're arranged alphabetically, it's much easier to work out chronology from the words in which certain changes must have operated in a particular order.
I do, but I was disappointed for similar reasons, like you said that it was listed alphabetically, it's also very narrow in its scope as it doesn't contain Romanian much less various other Romance languages.

To give you a good idea on what I am trying to accomplish, take a look here.
My Blog

Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Is this thread for discussing what linguistic books I have been reading?

Lately, I have just read Wikipedia on Slavic languages. It seems West Slavonic and South Slavonic are much less like Russian than I have though.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Omzinesý wrote: 29 Aug 2018 12:01 Is this thread for discussing what linguistic books I have been reading?
For such books and book-like things, and journal articles etc., especially;
but also for any sort of literature, whether fiction or non-fiction, peer-refereed or not, linguistics or not.
That’s my understanding, at least.
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

eldin raigmore wrote: 29 Aug 2018 17:03
Omzinesý wrote: 29 Aug 2018 12:01 Is this thread for discussing what linguistic books I have been reading?
but also for any sort of literature, whether fiction or non-fiction, peer-refereed or not, linguistics or not.
This thread is now exclusively for linguistic books, articles, etc.

For non-linguistic reading, see the split thread here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6789
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Aszev wrote: 11 Oct 2018 10:56
eldin raigmore wrote: 29 Aug 2018 17:03

This thread is now exclusively for linguistic books, articles, etc.

For non-linguistic reading, see the split thread here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6789

Thanks!
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Re: What have you been reading lately? (linguistic ed.)

Post by Ælfwine »

I've been reading a bit about American dialectology. Particularly, I am reading "The Atlas of North American English" by Labov etc, where a snippet can be found here.
My Blog

Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

I've finally managed to get my hands on O Richards The Pannonian Slavic Dialect of the Common Slavic..., and have read up to the second out of four chapters. This book is absolutely excellent and the author treats the subject matter with great care.
My Blog

Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

I'm reading a lot about Farsi, as I am doing a research paper on its morphology.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

Finally reading Ringe's "From Proto-Indo European to Proto-Germanic". So now I will have read Sihler, Fortson, and Ringe. Should help in my IE-langing :)
GoshDiggityDangit
greek
greek

Post by GoshDiggityDangit »

I have been read “The Aleut Language: The Elements of Aleut Grammar with a Dictionary in Two Parts of Aleut and English” by Richard Henry Geoghegan and Fredirka I. Martin, and “Haa Wsineixh Haa Yoo Xh’antángi or Our Langauge Saved Us; A Guidebook for Learning the Tlingit Language” by Xh’unei Lance Twitchell.
Last edited by GoshDiggityDangit on 28 Apr 2019 02:31, edited 1 time in total.
“Like billowing clouds, Like the incessant gurgle of the brook,
The longing of the spirit can never be stilled.” ― St. Hildegard von Bingen
stonyhonu
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by stonyhonu »

shimobaatar wrote: 27 Jun 2015 02:24 The Languages of Native North America by Marianne Mithun

I got the book closer to the beginning of the year, but I've really only felt like I had the time to read it within the past few weeks. I finished reading up to the end of first section (phonology) of the first half of the book a few days ago, and I'm looking forward to having more time to read on soon. I think I can already tell why the book is so "popular", at least relatively/among certain groups of people who share certain interests and hobbies. I've considered sketching out the beginnings of a North American-esque conlang as I progress through the book, but I don't know for sure if I'll end up doing that or not yet.
This is a book that I own! Would highly recommend it; it provides examples from all over the continent. North America is a rather linguistically diverse one, so, as a conlanger, it's a great resource. Sidenote: the girl I'm seeing (psych major) picked it up recently and started reading because she was interested in baby/pet talk which is covered in the book. Kind of seems like a good sign to me that she might be a keeper. ;P

Another that I own that I've been going through again recently is "Historical Linguistics" by R.L. Trask. I recommend it for anyone trying to create a language family with diachronics.