False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by Shemtov »

Birdlang wrote: 08 Jun 2018 12:32
Shemtov wrote: 07 Jun 2018 20:34 :pol: <być>/bɨt͡ɕ/ "To be" :eng: Bitch
:lat: :esp: :ita: :por: Zona :rus: зона [zonə] "Zone" vs. :isr: [zona] "Whore"
:rus: сука /suka/ "Bitch" vs. :isr: /suka/ "Ritual hut for the Feast of Tabernacles"
Pal. :arab: /ʔe:ʃ/ "What" :isr: /ʔeɪʃ/ "fire"
:kor: -니다 [ɲida] "POL.DEC" :isr: /nida/ "Menstruating woman"
To add to the Russian one. :idn: suka means like.
:fin: :lva: <suka> "Currycomb" :phl: Cebuano <suka>"Vomit" Tagalog <suka> "Vinegar> :zaf: Zulu <suka> "To leave" "To come from" :que: <suka> "furrow" "Whistle" :ind: Pali सुक /suka/ "Parrot"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Shemtov wrote: 10 Jun 2018 06:58
Birdlang wrote: 08 Jun 2018 12:32 To add to the Russian one. :idn: suka means like.
:fin: :lva: <suka> "Currycomb" :phl: Cebuano <suka>"Vomit" Tagalog <suka> "Vinegar> :zaf: Zulu <suka> "To leave" "To come from" :que: <suka> "furrow" "Whistle" :ind: Pali सुक /suka/ "Parrot"
:jpn: スカ suka "ska"
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

Imralu wrote: 09 Jun 2018 23:03
Khemehekis wrote: 09 Jun 2018 17:49 Like the way "liberal" means libertarian in Europe, but refers to someone on the anterior top left of a Vosem Chart (socially permissive, favoring Big Government on fiscal issues, against corporate personhood) in the U.S.?
I thought it was more the other way around
When talking ideology, I generally tend to interpret American 'liberal' as European 'social-democrat' or perhaps 'social-liberal'.

I wouldn't agree that 'liberal' means 'libertarian' in Europe, but maybe it depends on where you are, as the political landscape is far from homogenous. In Sweden we usually call libertarians nyliberaler (i.e. 'new liberals').
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Aszev wrote: 10 Jun 2018 19:00
When talking ideology, I generally tend to interpret American 'liberal' as European 'social-democrat' or perhaps 'social-liberal'.

I wouldn't agree that 'liberal' means 'libertarian' in Europe, but maybe it depends on where you are, as the political landscape is far from homogenous. In Sweden we usually call libertarians nyliberaler (i.e. 'new liberals').
Which I find interesting, because libertarians stateside try to ally themselves with the GOP, which is mostly conservative. The libertarian candidate last election tried to position himself as a PC alternative to Trump, to appeal to Right-leaning moderates, but he's nuttier then Trump mixed with Carson on acid. There is also a school of political philosophy here called "Libertarian Conservatism" who are conservatives that take influence, to varying degrees, from libertarian political philosophy. Reagan is considered the prime example. When Ron Paul ran for president, he tried to position himself as such, even though I think he's very much a Weak Conservative Libertarian (A Libertarian that takes light influence from conservatism), as did his son, Rand, who IMO toes the line between being a Strong Conservative Libertarian and a Strong Libertarian Conservative (Reagan was a Mid-Weak Libertarian Conservative)
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I remember a lot of libertarian (with a lower-case l) Millennials voting for Ron Paul in the 2008 and 2012 primaries. (In the 2016 election, they went with Gary Johnson, the Libertarian (with a capital L) candidate).

What I'd really like to see is an American candidate who is socially leftist, fiscally rightist, and leftist on corporate issues.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

:kor: 사과 sagwa “apple” - :chn: 傻瓜 shǎguā “fool” (pronounced sǎguā in many dialects)
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Palestinian :ara: /fəkkər/ "Thought (verb)" :eng: "Fucker"
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

:deu: Kapital "(economic) capital" Kapitel "Chapter" Judeo-:eng:/kaˈpɪtl̩/"A Psalm"

:deu: Jahreszeit "Season" Yiddish and Judeo-:eng: /jortseit/ "anniversary of a Relative or Righteous person's death"
-JRR Tolkien
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Shemtov wrote: 26 Jun 2018 19:48 :deu: Kapital "(economic) capital" Kapitel "Chapter" Judeo-:eng:/kaˈpɪtl̩/"A Psalm"

:deu: Jahreszeit "Season" Yiddish and Judeo-:eng: /jortseit/ "anniversary of a Relative or Righteous person's death"
What is even more confusing, especially for a lot of German students of English:

:eng: capital vs. German Kapitel (chapter).
Children in Germany normally don't know the word "Kapital" when they hear about capital first.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Yiddish /vulkans/ "clouds" :eng: Vulcans
This made me laugh, as I didn't know the Yiddish word, but the rest of the sentence it occurred in in my Yiddish learning book "The sky is full with" I could understand, and the new word /vulkans/ made me laugh, even though the word was in the vocab ("The sky is full of Vulcans")
-JRR Tolkien
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Iyionaku wrote: 27 Jun 2018 13:23What is even more confusing, especially for a lot of German students of English:

:eng: capital vs. German Kapitel (chapter).
Children in Germany normally don't know the word "Kapital" when they hear about capital first.
And I'm sure :eng: capitol ~ :deu: Kapitol makes it even more confusing
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Shemtov wrote: 02 Jul 2018 01:12 Yiddish /vulkans/ "clouds" :eng: Vulcans
This made me laugh, as I didn't know the Yiddish word, but the rest of the sentence it occurred in in my Yiddish learning book "The sky is full with" I could understand, and the new word /vulkans/ made me laugh, even though the word was in the vocab ("The sky is full of Vulcans")
They have deemed us worthy of first contact.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

clawgrip wrote: 04 Jul 2018 01:38
Shemtov wrote: 02 Jul 2018 01:12 Yiddish /vulkans/ "clouds" :eng: Vulcans
They have deemed us worthy of first contact.
Actually, since Nimoy took the salute from a Jewish ceremony, and it's a Yiddish book, I assume they want to know how it's logical that a Terran culture happened to regard the same gesture their whole planet does as sacred.
-JRR Tolkien
Znex
roman
roman

Post by Znex »

It's about as logical as there being a whole planet having a culture very closely resembling Nazi Germany.
:eng: : [tick] | :grc: : [:|] | :chn: :isr: :wls: : [:S] | :deu: :ell: :rus: : [:x]
Conlangs: Hawntow, Yorkish, misc.
she/her
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Znex wrote: 06 Jul 2018 08:51 It's about as logical as there being a whole planet having a culture very closely resembling Nazi Germany.
IIRC, when they encountered a planet that was undergoing a similar thing to the Cold War at the time the Episode came out, Kirk notes that he learned in History that during said war, a group of Americans anda group of Chinese communists disappeared, and Spock says logically, it must be that they were transported to this planet. I assume the same logic applies to the Nazi Planet and the Roman Planet, just Terrans didn't notice the disappearance.
-JRR Tolkien
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Shemtov wrote: 06 Jul 2018 22:27 I assume the same logic applies to the Nazi Planet and the Roman Planet, just Terrans didn't notice the disappearance.
Guys, watch the episode! They definitely did notice. A Starfleet historian was on an official observation mission on the planet, but then he broke the prime directive and tried to bring order to their chaotic society by emulating the efficiency of the Nazi system. He tried to make them good Nazis, but as you would expect, he failed, and they turned into regular old bad Nazis.

The Roman planet is just randomly Roman, though.
Alessio
sinic
sinic

Post by Alessio »

This one just came to my mind.

In English, cool /kuːl/ is something you'd definitely like being.
In many Gallo-Italic languages, instead, cûl /kuːl/ is... well, your butt.
So if you are speaking to an elder in northern Italy, avoid telling him that he's cool using the English word (which is also a loanword in Italian, to make things funnier).
:ita: :eng: [:D] | :fra: :esp: :rus: [:)] | :con: Hecathver, Hajás, Hedetsūrk, Darezh...

Tin't inameint ca tót a sàm stê żōv'n e un po' cajoun, mo s't'armâgn cajoun an vōl ménga dîr t'armâgn anc żōven...
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

:ara: /ʃiʕa/ "Branch of Islam" Yiddish and Judeo-English /ʃiʔa/ "nickname for /jɪhoʃuʔa/ or /jɪhojʃiʔa/ 'Joshua'"
-JRR Tolkien
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Shemtov wrote: 04 Jul 2018 03:57 Actually, since Nimoy took the salute from a Jewish ceremony, and it's a Yiddish book, I assume they want to know how it's logical that a Terran culture happened to regard the same gesture their whole planet does as sacred.
Funny. I've had people tell me that my hand, when I wave at them as a greeting, looks like the Leonard Nimoy gesture from Star Trek. (My fingers unintentionally tend to stick together into three clumps.) Considering that's the shin-for-shalom sign, maybe it's just my Jewish roots unconsciously influencing my hand.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

EUROPAN

Na jerga brasilera, 'cuca' signifi 'cabeza', na jerga colombiana (e de los países vicinos) signifi 'vagin'. Daí una brasilera vai pra Colombia, vira una cantora famosa e é intervistee:
"Wi connten Si in Columbia so fil success han?"
"I used mai cuca!"
"Oh, je vois..."

Ah si: na sud de Brasil, 'cuca' signifi 'torta', af el alemao 'kuchen'...

ENGLISH HOUSE STILE

In brazilian slang, 'cuca' meens 'hed, nob', in colombian slang (and in the naboring countries) it meens 'vagina'. So a brazilian woman goes to Colombia, becomes a famous singer and is intervewd:
"How come you wer so successful in Colombia?"
"I used my 'cuca'!"
"Oh, i see..."

In soudern Brazil, on the other hand, 'cuca' meens 'cake', from german 'kuchen'.