False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by Iyionaku »

Zé do Rock wrote: 14 Aug 2018 00:09 I was new in Germany, had a job, and a lady told that a guy came with full 'carajo' down the street, and i asked myself what she ment with it, since she seemed to be a quite decent lady, and for me what she was saying was that the guy came with a "full penis" down the street. 'Carajo' is for me a penis, in spanish. But in german it means 'momentum'. The word clearly seems to come from spanish, so i guess somebody misunderstood something...

Greetings from Babilon, in Czechia
Now may I surprise you, the German word "Karacho" actually derives form the Spanish word "carajo", at least according to Wiktionary!
Wiktionary (to English by translate google) wrote:Origin:

in the 20th century by Spanish carajo → it borrowed, in spanish rough curse word for "penis". Emergence unexplained. [1] [2]
By the way, it doesn't mean "momentum" in German, but rather "high velocity with strong momentum"
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Has anyone mentioned this one yet?
:gbr: pantomime vs. :deu: Pantomime 'mime'
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

Iyionaku wrote: 24 Aug 2018 13:32
Zé do Rock wrote: 14 Aug 2018 00:09 I was new in Germany, had a job, and a lady told that a guy came with full 'carajo' down the street, and i asked myself what she ment with it, since she seemed to be a quite decent lady, and for me what she was saying was that the guy came with a "full penis" down the street. 'Carajo' is for me a penis, in spanish. But in german it means 'momentum'. The word clearly seems to come from spanish, so i guess somebody misunderstood something...

Now may I surprise you, the German word "Karacho" actually derives form the Spanish word "carajo", at least according to Wiktionary!
EUROPAN

Oh, reali? Deutshe 'karacho', pronunsee /karaxo/, ven af espaniano 'carajo', pronunsee /karaxo/? Dat is fasinal! E meibi meme deutsh 'sombrero' ven af espanian 'sombrero'?

ENGLISH

Oh, really? German 'karacho', pronounced /karaxo/, comes from spanish 'carajo', pronounced /karaxo/? Thats amazing! And maybe even german 'sombrero' comes from spanish 'sombrero'?

Wiktionary (to English by translate google) wrote:Origin:

in the 20th century by Spanish carajo → it borrowed, in spanish rough curse word for "penis". Emergence unexplained. [1] [2]
By the way, it doesn't mean "momentum" in German, but rather "high velocity with strong momentum"
EUROPAN

Tecniclik yu corect, mi supon. Mas algucom is non ale momentum a "high velocity with strong momentum"? Mi vole sei, "low velocity with strong momentum" vou son a bit strange, no?

Salutus de Manshnow, Deutshland

ENGLISH

Technically you're right, i guess. But isnt every momentum somehow a "high velocity with stron momentum"? I mean, "low velocity with strong momentum" would sound a bit strange, wouldnt it?

Greetings from Manshnow, Deutshland
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Large objects can have low velocities and high momentums.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Only as far as I can tell:

Georgian: პასტა (ṗasṭa), meaning "pen" vs. English pasta

Both come from the Italian word pasta, though, but the Georgian borrowing seems to have been influenced in part by the pasta penne, but also by the other, seemingly more common, word for "pen" კალამი (ḳalami), which comes from Greek κάλαμος (kálamos), meaning "reed".

პასტა (ṗasṭa) does also appear to just mean "pasta", as you might expect, but there's also მაკარონი (maḳaroni) for that.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

:eng: sport
:de: Sport (sport, exercise)
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Indonesian daun leaf
English down

Just came to my mind. Spelling is different of course, but pronunciation is pretty close, especially by those Indonesian celebrities with a fake English accent (e.g. unrelated [ɾ]→[ɹ~ɻ]) or with maybe some more Malaysian-like variety.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

http://hyperdimensionneptunia.wikia.com/wiki/Ziege

I have pointed out that her name means "goat" in Standard German and in Standard German that word can be something derogative to a woman...maybe Egerius, Creyeditor, Iyionaku and Imralu can help confirming this?
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

True. 'alte Ziege' (old goat) is a common derogatory term for a moody woman.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

:eng: English: serene
:bel: Walloon: serene - churn
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

REFORMADO

Esu no tene muitu a ver co cognatos, mas ten a ver co malcomprendidos internacional, talveis algunis no coness...:

Ain buss helt an und zwai italiena staigen ain.
Thay seet themselvs, and hav a loud and annimated conversation.
Una dama ki es sentee atraz lis ignora la conversacion, ma son atencion è despertee cand ela ecut uno dee tipos dizir:
“Emma come first. Den I come. Two asses, they come together. I come again. Two asses, they come together again. I come again and pee twice. Then I come once-a-more.”
"Vos es unos indecentis", di la dama revoltad, "nos non abla de nosa vida sexual en publico, en noso paiz!"
“Keda trankila, mossa,” dis el italo. “Eu so ta splicand a min amigo como se soletra Mississippi.”

ENGLISH

This doesnt have much to do with cognates, but has to do with international missunderstandings, maybe some of you dont know it...

A bus stops and two Italian men get on.
They seat themselves, and have an loud and animated conversation.
The lady sitting behind them ignores their conversation at first, but her attention is drawn when she hears one of the men say the following:
“Emma come first. Den I come. Two asses, they come together. I come again. Two asses, they come together again. I come again and pee twice. Then I come once-a-more.”
“You swearing and cursing rude men,” the lady said in a very haughty fashion. “We don’t talk about our sex lives in public places here!”
“Hey, coola down lady,” says the Italian. “Ima justa tellin my frienda how to spella Mississippi.”
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

Zé do Rock wrote: 01 Sep 2018 09:30ENGLISH

This doesnt have much to do with cognates, but has to do with international missunderstandings, maybe some of you dont know it...

The lady sitting behind them ignores their conversation at first, but her attention is drawn when she hears one of the men say the following:
“You swearing and cursing rude men,” the lady said in a very haughty fashion. “We don’t talk about our sex lives in public places here!”
“Hey, coola down lady,” says the Italian. “Ima justa tellin my frienda how to spella Mississippi.”
This is probably better for this thread.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Iyionaku wrote: 24 Aug 2018 13:32

Aren't all :deu: words with a /x/ that is not syllable-final, loan words, unless their is a vowel-initial suffix? I would have never guessed :esp: <carajo> though, I would have guessed a West Slavic loan.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Shemtov wrote: 02 Sep 2018 19:23Aren't all :deu: words with a /x/ that is not syllable-final, loan words, unless their is a vowel-initial suffix?
Sound's about right.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

GrandPiano wrote: 02 Sep 2018 02:56
Zé do Rock wrote: 01 Sep 2018 09:30ENGLISH

This is probably better for this thread.
Thanks, will do next time...
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Creyeditor wrote: 02 Sep 2018 21:57
Shemtov wrote: 02 Sep 2018 19:23Aren't all :deu: words with a /x/ that is not syllable-final, loan words, unless their is a vowel-initial suffix?
Sound's about right.
I'm learning Yiddish, and if /x/ is not syllable final, it either comes from the Hebreo-Aramaic layer /xasn/ "bridegroom" from Biblical :isr: /ħaθan, or the Slavic layer, like /xapn/ "to grab" often used in compounds as synonym for /farʃtaijn/ "to understand", from :pol: chapać
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Creyeditor wrote: 02 Sep 2018 21:57
Sound's about right.
Yes. German /x/ is either from Proto-Germanic */x/, which has become /h/ in syllable onsets, or (via the High German consonant shift) from Proto-Germanic */k/, which wasn't affected by this shift in initial position (some southern dialects, most notoriously Swiss German, have /k/ > /kx/ in initial position, though, with /kx/ moving on to /x/ in some of them). So no /x/ in syllable onsets in native Standard German words.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

:ryu: Okinawan 誰 taa "who"
:chn: Mandarin 他 tā "he, him"
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Only orthographic, and then only in the Official Romanization:
:eng: Women :zho: 我們 pinyin Wǒmen "we"
-JRR Tolkien
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Someone's probably mentioned this already, but Old English (Geman Kuh, etc), vs Old Irish (and modern Irish for that matter) .

These even come quite close together in Scotland - Scots coo vs Scottish Gaelic ...