False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by Lao Kou »

:rus: :ukr: зоб (zob) goiter
:fra: zob not exactly the most genteel slang word for the penis
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

:deu: Unterschrift - signature
:swe: utskrift - receipt
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Iyionaku wrote: :deu: Unterschrift - signature
:swe: underskrift - signature

:deu: Ausschrift here
:swe: utskrift - print-out

Et alors? [O.o]
Edit: Okay, guess I'm being bitchy. I speak neither of these languages competently. But if "Unterschrift" and "underskrift" have some overlapping senses of "signature", where is the false friend angle? Is one a referent from bygone days?
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Lao Kou wrote:
Iyionaku wrote: :deu: Unterschrift - signature
:swe: underskrift - signature

:deu: Ausschrift here
:swe: utskrift - print-out

Et alors? [O.o]
Edit: Okay, guess I'm being bitchy. I speak neither of these languages competently. But if "Unterschrift" and "underskrift" have some overlapping senses of "signature", where is the false friend angle? Is one a referent from bygone days?
I think my definition of a false friend is a little different from what most of the board members consider it to be. For example, I wouldn't see how metallic and метелик should cause any confusion, nor 제일 tɕ͡e.il and jail, just because the words don't bear much more resemblance except for the similar pronunciation and are from languages that are not (at least not closely) related.
Now for my example, it didn't come out of nowhere; I was on vacation in Sweden, ordered food at a monolingual terminal and although (or maybe even because) I can figure out much of written Swedish because it looks similar to German, I was really confused when the terminal said "no utskrift is printed", because I first thought I couldn't order because I couldn't sign (and I was really hungry, believe me!)

Of course, everyday me does not know that there is a word "underskrift" which I only got to know by your post (and yes, this is obvious and totally clear - if you know it!)
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

Interesting how “lizi” can refer to three different edible things in Mandarin depending on the tone:

:chn: 梨子 lízi “pear”
:chn: 李子 lǐzi “plum”
:chn: 栗子 lìzi “chestnut”
Alessio
sinic
sinic

Post by Alessio »

I just realized that "food" in Russian is пища /'pʲiɕːǝ/, which, to my Italian ear, is very similar to Italian piscia /piʃːa/, meaning... well, piss. Quite vulgar of a term as well.
:ita: :eng: [:D] | :fra: :esp: :rus: [:)] | :con: Hecathver, Hajás, Hedetsūrk, Darezh...

Tin't inameint ca tót a sàm stê żōv'n e un po' cajoun, mo s't'armâgn cajoun an vōl ménga dîr t'armâgn anc żōven...
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Ah, *now* I get it! I'd always wondered where piscina "swimming pool " comes from!
😉
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

:ara: /ʕuma:n/ "Oman; Country on the Arabian Peninsula :ukr: Умань /umanʲ/ Yiddish /u:man/ "Uman; A city in Central Ukraine that is a Chassidic pilgrimage site"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

English (slang): smashing -- good
Gàidhlig: 's math sin -- that's good

For a long time I was convinced this was a borrowing, but apparently I was wrong... though being a popular folk etymology, it seems I'm not the first to have been so.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
Alessio
sinic
sinic

Post by Alessio »

Pabappa wrote: 04 Jan 2018 20:07 Ah, *now* I get it! I'd always wondered where piscina "swimming pool " comes from!
😉
Yeah, you have no idea how many awful jokes we hear about that.
:ita: :eng: [:D] | :fra: :esp: :rus: [:)] | :con: Hecathver, Hajás, Hedetsūrk, Darezh...

Tin't inameint ca tót a sàm stê żōv'n e un po' cajoun, mo s't'armâgn cajoun an vōl ménga dîr t'armâgn anc żōven...
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

I'm told that in Swedish, :swe: hel "whole" and vete "wheat" are not combined to make a word for whole wheat bread , because if they did the result would be identical with or resemble helvete "Hell".

Presumably, :lat: Helvetia "Switzerland " is unrelated to either of them.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Pabappa wrote: 05 Jan 2018 18:42 I'm told that in Swedish, :swe: hel "whole" and vete "wheat" are not combined to make a word for whole wheat bread , because if they did the result would be identical with or resemble helvete "Hell".
This smacks of one of those "and on the lighter side of the news" anecdotes like Spanish speakers not buying the "Nova" car of years past because "No va" means "it doesn't go" (nyuk nyuk).

"Wholewheat bread" seems to be an Americanism, known elsewhere as "whole grain bread" or "wholemeal bread". For this, Swedish has "fullkornsbröd". And even if "hellbread" were not the greatest in brand marketing (and these stories usually revolve around alleged advertising gaffes), one assumes that in conversation, if the term "helvetebröd" ever existed (and given the above, perhaps "fullvetebröd" would sound more natural?), Swedes would be smart enough to discern whether "bread from hell" or "wholewheat bread" was intended.

Now I'm off for a refreshing can of Pocari Sweat.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Finnish word "rauha" 'peace' "raaha" in Savo dialect.
Arabic راحة /ra:Ha/ 'rest, stillness etc.'
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

Lao Kou wrote: 06 Jan 2018 09:05
Pabappa wrote: 05 Jan 2018 18:42 I'm told that in Swedish, :swe: hel "whole" and vete "wheat" are not combined to make a word for whole wheat bread , because if they did the result would be identical with or resemble helvete "Hell".
This smacks of one of those "and on the lighter side of the news" anecdotes like Spanish speakers not buying the "Nova" car of years past because "No va" means "it doesn't go" (nyuk nyuk).

"Wholewheat bread" seems to be an Americanism, known elsewhere as "whole grain bread" or "wholemeal bread". For this, Swedish has "fullkornsbröd". And even if "hellbread" were not the greatest in brand marketing (and these stories usually revolve around alleged advertising gaffes), one assumes that in conversation, if the term "helvetebröd" ever existed (and given the above, perhaps "fullvetebröd" would sound more natural?), Swedes would be smart enough to discern whether "bread from hell" or "wholewheat bread" was intended.

Now I'm off for a refreshing can of Pocari Sweat.
helvete /²hɛlːvɛtɛ/ 'hell'
*helvete /²heːlˌveːtɛ/ 'whole-wheat'

'wholewheat breat' would be fullkornsvetebröd /²fɵlːˌkuːɳʂˌveːtɛˌbrøːd/ (full-grain-wheat-bread), although in more everyday language I think the 'wheat' part would be likely to be skipped.
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

Omzinesý wrote: 06 Jan 2018 14:11 Finnish word "rauha" 'peace' "raaha" in Savo dialect.
Arabic راحة /ra:Ha/ 'rest, stillness etc.'
That's one for the false cognates thread.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

:hkg: 功夫 [koŋ˥fu˥]"Kong fu" 功課 [koŋ˥fɔ˧] "Homework"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Shemtov wrote: 12 Jan 2018 02:46 :hkg: 功夫 [koŋ˥fu˥]"Kong fu" 功課 [koŋ˥fɔ˧] "Homework"
Note that the auslaut (Pinyin) -ong is actually more closely pronounced as [-ʊŋ].

Speaking of Chinese, I'm still not very far with learning, but what already confusedme

买 mǎi [maɪ̯˨˩˦] - to buy vs. 卖 mài [maɪ̯˥˩] - to sell

Not only are the characters similar (which is not so unusual for phono-semantic compounds, but still very confusing for me here), is the meaning so similar that I can think of myself being exposed to it in real life and terrible confuse it all the time...
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Iyionaku wrote: 12 Jan 2018 09:52
Shemtov wrote: 12 Jan 2018 02:46 :hkg: 功夫 [koŋ˥fu˥]"Kong fu" 功課 [koŋ˥fɔ˧] "Homework"
Note that the auslaut (Pinyin) -ong is actually more closely pronounced as [-ʊŋ].

Um.....This is Cantonese, not Mandarin, thus the Hong Kong flag. There is no Pinyin. The Mandarin reflex of 課 is kè /kə˧˩/ not [fɔ˧]. If it was Mandarin,I would have provided Pinyin. This is only a flase friend in Cantonese.
-JRR Tolkien
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Iyionaku wrote: 12 Jan 2018 09:52 Speaking of Chinese, I'm still not very far with learning, but what already confused me

买 mǎi [maɪ̯˨˩˦] - to buy vs. 卖 mài [maɪ̯˥˩] - to sell

Not only are the characters similar (which is not so unusual for phono-semantic compounds, but still very confusing for me here), is the meaning so similar that I can think of myself being exposed to it in real life and terrible confuse it all the time...
I feel your pain, bra, and this is one of the more glaring moments of WTF. But tones are a real thing, not only devised as legerdemain to beguile conlangers and flummox second-language learners. As such, they are perceived as different words, and I have every faith that, if you were here (or in a Chinese-speaking community near you), you would not find it confusing at all (unless your foreigner tones really suck). And so it goes, with Mandarin, Cantonese, and Taiwanese (dialects with which I can profess a passing familiarity) -- different tones, different words. In the worst case scenario, you have context.

Now, you want to get a mind blow-out, go to Shanghainese, where 买 and 卖 are actual homophones (má). But even here, Shanghainese adds a word to help disambiguate 卖脱 for "sell". And of course, context; who's doing the talking on which side of the exchange (check out "borrow" and "lend" in conversational Chinese).
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

In Japanese, the loans are homophonous: 売買 baibai "buying and selling" though at least the normal words for buy and sell are completely different, and simplification had made the characters quite different as well, since only 売 was simplified.