False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by Shemtov »

Actually, I just remembered an incident that in context, was pretty unfortunate.
I was at the doctor's when I was 16, and I was still seeing a pediatrician. In the waiting room, I heard somone shout "Hey, Ju Boy!" I almost angrily screamed to the nurses about me getting slurs thrown at me, until I realized that it was a father calling to his son, Judah, with a pet name and the word "boy" added. Though if you see a male Orthodox Jew, maybe addressing your son that way in his presence isn't the brightest idea.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Maybe people have posted this or something similar:

English friend(and cognates in West Germanic languages) and Danish frænde "relative"(and cognates in North Germanic languages), and they are real cognates.

Also English to handle and Standard German handeln "to act, transact"
GrandPiano wrote: 24 Jul 2018 00:51
k1234567890y wrote: 24 Jul 2018 00:11 English shark and Yucatan Mayan xoc "fish", and there's a theory that the English word is from the Mayan word.
Wiktionary says that the word "shark" was used to refer to a kind of fish before sharks were first brought to England, so the word can't be from Mayan.
ok (:

but they still count as false friends, I think
Shemtov wrote: 24 Jul 2018 01:18 Actually, I just remembered an incident that in context, was pretty unfortunate.
I was at the doctor's when I was 16, and I was still seeing a pediatrician. In the waiting room, I heard somone shout "Hey, Ju Boy!" I almost angrily screamed to the nurses about me getting slurs thrown at me, until I realized that it was a father calling to his son, Judah, with a pet name and the word "boy" added. Though if you see a male Orthodox Jew, maybe addressing your son that way in his presence isn't the brightest idea.
maybe people should take care when naming their children...
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

On a similar note:
:bgd: বই /boi/ "Book" :eng: "Boy"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

k1234567890y wrote: 24 Jul 2018 01:27
GrandPiano wrote: 24 Jul 2018 00:51
k1234567890y wrote: 24 Jul 2018 00:11 English shark and Yucatan Mayan xoc "fish", and there's a theory that the English word is from the Mayan word.
Wiktionary says that the word "shark" was used to refer to a kind of fish before sharks were first brought to England, so the word can't be from Mayan.
ok (:

but they still count as false friends, I think
They certainly still count as false friends. I was just commenting on the etymology.
Shemtov wrote: 24 Jul 2018 01:18 Actually, I just remembered an incident that in context, was pretty unfortunate.
I mean, the name Judah isn’t exactly unheard of, and it also comes from the Old Testament.
Shemtov wrote: 24 Jul 2018 01:18 Though if you see a male Orthodox Jew, maybe addressing your son that way in his presence isn't the brightest idea.
How would they have known that you’re an Orthodox Jew?
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Eh, so because of the possibility of such a situation occurring we should ban the name Judah? That's a bit to far. People should just be careful with the pet name, andthe language surrounding it.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

GrandPiano wrote: 24 Jul 2018 02:38
Shemtov wrote: 24 Jul 2018 01:18 Though if you see a male Orthodox Jew, maybe addressing your son that way in his presence isn't the brightest idea.
How would they have known that you’re an Orthodox Jew?
Skullcap, Fringes, Hair short except near the sideburns, Teenage boy with a beard.
-JRR Tolkien
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Shemtov wrote: 24 Jul 2018 02:41

Eh, so because of the possibility of such a situation occurring we should ban the name Judah? That's a bit to far. People should just be careful with the pet name, andthe language surrounding it.
ok (hug)

also you dress yourself in a style of a typical Orthodox Jewish male? sorry for asking
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Well, it’s just obvious that nobody should name or nickname anything or anyone any name that would offend or confuse me. Nor should they form any other habits of speech that confuse or offend me.
[;)] :mrgreen: :roll:
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

The name of the Car language, people would more think of terms related to cars instead of the Nicobarese language.
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

EU

espaniano 'puñetazo' - a punch

portugaliano punhetaço (bene la same pronunciacion): la vord existe no, ma lu vou signifik a vonderale wancu

EN

spanish 'puñetazo' - a punch

portuguese punhetaço (quite the same pronunciation): the word doesnt exist, but it would mean wonderful wanking
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Zé do Rock wrote: 27 Jul 2018 21:22 EU

portugaliano punhetaço (bene la same pronunciacion): la vord existe no, ma lu vou signifik a vonderale wancu

EN

portuguese punhetaço (quite the same pronunciation): the word doesnt exist, but it would mean wonderful wanking
If it doesn't exist, does it even count? You could have just as easily gone with puñete vs. punheta for basically the same effect.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Maybe this:

English Tungus(a person of Tungusic peoples) and the word for "pig" in certain Turkic languages from Proto-Turkic *doŋuŕ
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

sangi39 wrote: 28 Jul 2018 01:03
Zé do Rock wrote: 27 Jul 2018 21:22 EU

EN

If it doesn't exist, does it even count? You could have just as easily gone with puñete vs. punheta for basically the same effect.
I think the point is that that’s what a Portuguese speaker might think that the word meant if they didn’t know better.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

:eng: <Wang> "slang term for Penis" :zho: 王 wáng "King". Worse is when you tell people that Chinese mythology believes that the oceans are controlled by the 龍王 Lóngwáng. I've had people reply with "The Chinese believe the oceans are controlled by giant pricks?"
-JRR Tolkien
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Shemtov wrote: 31 Jul 2018 08:21 :eng: <Wang> "slang term for Penis" :zho: 王 wáng "King". Worse is when you tell people that Chinese mythology believes that the oceans are controlled by the 龍王 Lóngwáng. I've had people reply with "The Chinese believe the oceans are controlled by giant pricks?"
lol what a coincidence

Similar to Shemetov's claim, in some songs, words sounding like /t͡ʃim/ or /t͡ʃin/ can be used sometimes, for example:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CKxUkcTX9eE

and in Japan, chinchin(ちんちん) can mean the reproductive organ of males: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ちんちん#Japanese
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

A false friend that still fucks me up after more than a decade of fluency in German and (in a few hours exactly) five years in Germany:

per Post = by post / by mail
per Mail = by email

When people say "Mail" without the e, I automatically think it means post.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Imralu wrote: 31 Jul 2018 16:09 A false friend that still fucks me up after more than a decade of fluency in German and (in a few hours exactly) five years in Germany:

per Post = by post / by mail
per Mail = by email

When people say "Mail" without the e, I automatically think it means post.
My ex works for a company that has offices (I think their main ones) in Austria, and she was having a chat with some of the people that work out there about the ein Handy being a mobile phone. Undoubtedly it is a "handy" thing to have around, but she was saying that they weren't aware that English handy wasn't related to mobile phones (so they thought "handy" was somehow related to mobile phones, rather than being anything at all that is useful and/or close by). I think she'd said something like "that would be handy to have" and they didn't quite understand it, and she didn't know that the German word for mobile phone was Handy.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

"Price" and "worth" are similar concepts, but "priceless" and "worthless" are complete opposites.
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

sangi39 wrote: 31 Jul 2018 16:54 My ex works for a company that has offices (I think their main ones) in Austria, and she was having a chat with some of the people that work out there about the ein Handy being a mobile phone. Undoubtedly it is a "handy" thing to have around, but she was saying that they weren't aware that English handy wasn't related to mobile phones (so they thought "handy" was somehow related to mobile phones, rather than being anything at all that is useful and/or close by). I think she'd said something like "that would be handy to have" and they didn't quite understand it, and she didn't know that the German word for mobile phone was Handy.
"That would be quite mobibular to have!"
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

GrandPiano wrote: 31 Jul 2018 20:54 "Price" and "worth" are similar concepts, but "priceless" and "worthless" are complete opposites.
I remember when I was a kid being amazed that "priceless" doesn't just mean "free" ...
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS