False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by Iyionaku »

:eng: to blame
:deu: sich blamieren (to make a fool out of oneself)
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

:jpn: この辺 konohen "this area; around here" - :chn: 这边 zhèbiān (tr. 這邊) "this side; here"
:jpn: その辺 sonohen "that area; around there" - :chn: 那边 nàbiān (tr. 那邊) "that side; over there"

(この and 这/這 both mean "this"; その and 那 both mean "that". 辺 and 边/邊 are variants of the same character.)
Last edited by GrandPiano on 19 Feb 2017 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

:fra: Il va venir - He will come
:es-ca: Ell va venir - He came
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Iyionaku wrote: :fra: Il va venir - He will come
:es-ca: Ell va venir - He came
Similarly

:fra: Je veux venir - I want to come
:rou: Eu voi veni - I will come
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

:eng: I will come
:deu: Ich will kommen 'I want to come'
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

WeepingElf wrote::eng: I will come
Historically, the English verb 'will' seemed to mean exactly 'to want'. This can be seen in the idiom "Will you marry me?", in German exactly "Willst du mich heiraten?"
CMunk
greek
greek

Post by CMunk »

Iyionaku wrote:
WeepingElf wrote::eng: I will come
Historically, the English verb 'will' seemed to mean exactly 'to want'. This can be seen in the idiom "Will you marry me?", in German exactly "Willst du mich heiraten?"
Yes, semantically drifting modal verbs are the worst.

Take the Proto-Germanic verbs *maganą "be able", "may" and *mōtaną "be allowed", "may". They are so similar in form and meaning, that they are hard to distinguish from each other. And they drift to mean different things in different languages.

*maganą gives us :gbr: may, :deu: mögen "like", "may", :dan: måtte "be allowed", "may" and :nor: måtte "must". (Especially the Norwegian and Danish words are false friends).

*mōtaną gives us :gbr: must, :deu: müssen "must", :swe: måste "must". This is more consistent, but then comes the negated forms. :gbr: must not means "be not allowed to", but :deu: müssen nicht and :swe: måste inte mean "be not obliged to".

Danish has lost the modal verb *mōtaną and uses :dan: skulle for the meaning of "must", and :dan: skulle ikke means "be not obliged to". For the English meaning of "must not" :dan: måtte ikke is used.

German does not use mögen to mean "be allowed", but in stead uses :deu: dürfen. In turn :deu: dürfen nicht means "be not allowed".
Native: :dan: | Fluent: :uk: | Less than fluent: :deu:, :jpn:, :epo: | Beginner: Image, :fao:, :non:
Creating: :con:Jwar Nong, :con:Mhmmz
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

CMunk wrote:Danish has lost the modal verb *mōtaną and uses :dan: skulle for the meaning of "must"
...which I'm assuming is related to :eng: shall and should?
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

GrandPiano wrote:
CMunk wrote:Danish has lost the modal verb *mōtaną and uses :dan: skulle for the meaning of "must"
...which I'm assuming is related to :eng: shall and should?
Yep
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

:deu: also "so; thus" - :eng: also
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Iyionaku wrote:Historically, the English verb 'will' seemed to mean exactly 'to want'. This can be seen in the idiom "Will you marry me?", in German exactly "Willst du mich heiraten?"
This "want" meaning isn't that uncommon, in fact, even outside idioms. For instance, a Google search found me an article titled "10 Things Smart People Won't Say", with the subtitle "There are some things you simply never want to say at work."
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Dormouse559 wrote:
Iyionaku wrote:Historically, the English verb 'will' seemed to mean exactly 'to want'. This can be seen in the idiom "Will you marry me?", in German exactly "Willst du mich heiraten?"
This "want" meaning isn't that uncommon, in fact, even outside idioms. For instance, a Google search found me an article titled "10 Things Smart People Won't Say", with the subtitle "There are some things you simply never want to say at work."
Now you guys have questioning all of my speech! I think a lot of these situations show how close the 2 meanings really are. For me, I'd say in questions will is the polite form of want in all situations.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Dormouse559 wrote:
All4Ɇn wrote:Now you guys have questioning all of my speech! I think a lot of these situations show how close the 2 meanings really are. For me, I'd say in questions will is the polite form of want in all situations.
I thought it's "would like?" The situation Dormouse proposed is indeed closely related. If you don't want to say it, you won't either. I guess in articles it's just nicer and more "catchy" to use "won't".
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Iyionaku wrote: :eng: to blame
This one actually feels like a false friend.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Lao Kou wrote:
Especially because it's not that different in usage. If a German wants to say "Ich habe mich blamiert" and translate this wrongly as "I was blamed", I suppose in two of three cases English people might retrieve a meaning that is not so different from what the German actually wanted to say.

(Or is this just because most English people already know which mistakes German make and automatically correct?)
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Iyionaku wrote:
Lao Kou wrote:
Especially because it's not that different in usage. If a German wants to say "Ich habe mich blamiert" and translate this wrongly as "I was blamed", I suppose in two of three cases English people might retrieve a meaning that is not so different from what the German actually wanted to say.
Well, for me, it's the ones that look close, like "actuellement", "sensible", and here, "blamieren" that are the "real" false friends in that they look like mean the same thing cross-linguistically, so you can just phone it in without appreciating the difference in meaning. I guess I would be the one in three cases of English speakers who, before your pointing it out, would have read "Ich habe mich blamiert." as "I blamed myself." rather than "I've made a fool of myself." and not retrieved the original meaning (for me, these are quite different, and therefore rather deceptive).
Last edited by Lao Kou on 24 Feb 2017 02:36, edited 1 time in total.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Iyionaku wrote:The situation Dormouse proposed is indeed closely related. If you don't want to say it, you won't either.
More to the point, "won't" isn't referring specifically to the future. It's describing a general state.
Iyonaku wrote:I guess in articles it's just nicer and more "catchy" to use "won't".
The article was just a quick example. Say I want something that another person has, but they refuse to let me have it. I could say, "They won't give it to me." They obviously refused in the past, but I'm using "will" all the same.

If someone were to ask, "Will you help me open this jar?" I think most English speakers would assume they were working on the jar at that moment and were asking to be helped pretty much right then, not in the future.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

The future is a messy timeplace.

I've always been tickled that Chinese, a world away before we learned the Earth wasn't flat, uses the word 要 (yào; want) in similar, but not identical ways. It's a way to mark futurity if you (pretend to) believe you have a modicum of control over future events. And check this out, one of the negative imperatives is 不要 (bùyào - bù sandhi'ed to second tone here), Cf. Latin "noli" [O.O]) (And when two-year-olds learn how to say "No!" (such a happy time), it's 不要!). It also sometimes covers that sense of "be lacking/in need of" as in "for want of" kindsa stuff.

I guess I shouldn't be so surprised -- humans be humans -- but I am often taken aback when the metaphors cross over culturolinguistically (and shall we talk about "spleen/bile"? [B)] )
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

I think part of the confusion is that there is some overlap between asking someone if they want to do something and asking someone if they're going to do something; after all, if you're asking someone if they want to do something, they probably haven't done it yet, and if you're asking someone if their going to do something, they probably won't say yes unless they want to do it.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

humour vs. bile

Despite both being names for the same bodily fluids, their meaning is vastly different elsewhere. Humour is what we find funny, but bile what we find contemptibly angry
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad