RIP cursive handwriting..

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: RIP cursive handwriting..

Post by elemtilas »

DesEsseintes wrote: 20 Nov 2017 04:36
sangi39 wrote: 20 Nov 2017 04:26 Even the unreadable forms? A god! We're all gonna die [:P]
Yeah, I only find the second last line illegible. Everything else seems pretty normal to me.
Apart from that line in the middle (which I'm guessing is some kind of shorthand?), I agree: it's fairly legible. Not neat by any stretch, but at least legible.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

elemtilas wrote: 20 Nov 2017 04:48
DesEsseintes wrote: 20 Nov 2017 04:36
sangi39 wrote: 20 Nov 2017 04:26 Even the unreadable forms? A god! We're all gonna die [:P]
Yeah, I only find the second last line illegible. Everything else seems pretty normal to me.
Apart from that line in the middle (which I'm guessing is some kind of shorthand?), I agree: it's fairly legible. Not neat by any stretch, but at least legible.
We obviously have different ideas of what constitutes neat. I far prefer this to most, perhaps all, the ‘cursive’ styles posted in the thread so far. But then these things are a matter of taste.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

DesEsseintes wrote: 20 Nov 2017 04:50 We obviously have different ideas of what constitutes neat. I far prefer this to most, perhaps all, the ‘cursive’ styles posted in the thread so far. But then these things are a matter of taste.

Oh, Sangi's is definitely neater than mine! I freely admit that. As a matter of fact, a drunk chicken dragging a duck and two egrets behind it could scrawl neater than me!

That said, this for me is neat penmanship:
Spoiler:
Yet another unobtainable goal!

Huh. One thing I never noticed before: "united" isn't capitalised in that document...
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

elemtilas wrote: 20 Nov 2017 05:06 Oh, Sangi's is definitely neater than mine! I freely admit that. As a matter of fact, a drunk chicken dragging a duck and two egrets behind it could scrawl neater than me!
Don't say the note I received with your card last year isn't in your usual handwriting...?
elemtilas wrote: 20 Nov 2017 05:06 That said, this for me is neat penmanship:
Spoiler:
Yet another unobtainable goal!
Pfff. I can show off both sides of the spectrum. The US Declaration is (save for the top bits in Fraktur) an easier target to forge to imitate than, let's say, the Book of Kells.
My everyday handwriting can go from "possibly possessed" to "readable".
Last edited by Egerius on 21 Nov 2017 06:23, edited 1 time in total.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Well I mentioned over in the CBBers Handwriting thread that my handwriting has some intentional choices, like the shape of the descenders on y, g and j. It doesn't look much like the handwriting style I had in my first year of college.
elemtilas wrote: 20 Nov 2017 05:06 Huh. One thing I never noticed before: "united" isn't capitalised in that document...
I'd guess it might be because early on it was just an adjective rather than part of a proper name. Interesting either way.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Egerius wrote: 20 Nov 2017 11:50
elemtilas wrote: 20 Nov 2017 05:06 Oh, Sangi's is definitely neater than mine! I freely admit that. As a matter of fact, a drunk chicken dragging a duck and two egrets behind it could scrawl neater than me!
Don't say the note I received with your card last year isn't in your usual handwriting...?
Lawks! I should hope not! If you were able to read it, then I dare say it wasn't my usual penmanship! [;)]

This year I'll send you a note in usual.

Take that, sirrah!
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

It isn't the most readable, but I love it, Sangi! It is distinctive and aesthetically pleasing.
Kehgrehdid
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Kehgrehdid »

If I am not paying attention, I can switch back and forth mid-sentence. I tend to switch to print on words that start with strong downstrokes, like H or p, while words that start with curves, like q, c, or s are where I am more likely to switch to cursive. But I can write anything either way, so it's not foolproof or certain that I will. I am more consistent and neat when I use print, so I focus on staying with that when I am writing something important. But I do enjoy the flowing smooth feel of cursive, especially with a rollerball pen.
Does anybody else find that they switch without thinking?
"Cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get over it."

I marvel that the hardest parts of my life (fear, mistakes, guilt, sin, doubt, failure) are of man, while what I crave most (rest, hope, love, peace, forgiveness) are of God.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

I wrote up a handwriting sample, with the three styles I use. At the top is my everyday printing. Then, there's my neat printing, which I use for formal letters. Finally, there's my cursive, which I only ever write in for fun; I have no practical use for it. Here's the text I used. I only let myself erase things if I noticed I was writing the wrong words (which I didn't always [>_<] ), so some mistakes are left in or corrected on the fly.
Spoiler: