What language could this person speak?

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
mira
greek
greek

What language could this person speak?

Post by mira »

So I came across a person on reddit asking about learning Java (on a completely irrelevant sub). This was the post's title and contents:
How you to learn Java?
How u have start. To. Learn Java and someone know good sites which introduce in programming ?
This person clearly does not know English natively (unless they're very young, but then why are they asking reddit about learning Java?), but what language could they be trying to translate from? I'll probably ask them at some point, but I thought it might make for a fun little game to try and guess the language.

Any ideas?
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Re: What language could this person speak?

Post by Creyeditor »

So their native language seems to have a periphrastic construction for 'to begin' which looks like 'have a start at something'. I know of no such language, but their probably are some. Embedding seems to work differently, but we cannot really be sure. There is also no inversion in questions, but that's the default crosslinguistically. The preposition introducing the object of introduce seems to be 'in' instead of 'to'. This is the case for German (einführen in etwas) and probably some other languages as well.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

French is possible...
How u have start. To. Learn Java and someone know good sites which introduce in programming ?
Comment vous avez commencé à apprendre Java et qui connait (de) bons sites qui introduisent à (la) programmation...
(sometimes my English is so torrid...)
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

lsd wrote: 24 Nov 2017 17:37 French is possible...
Comment vous avez commencé à apprendre Java et qui connait (de) bons sites qui introduisent à (la) programmation...
I doubt it's French because the concept of past participles is shared by both English and French, hence "have start" is not a mistake French people would do, I assume.
My first guess was Indonesian (mainly for the lack of inflection), but as Crey already comments and knows much about it (afaik), he would have come up with it beforehand.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Iyionaku wrote: 06 Dec 2017 11:46 My first guess was Indonesian (mainly for the lack of inflection), but as Crey already comments and knows much about it (afaik), he would have come up with it beforehand.
I don't really know how you would ask that question in Indonesian, but nothing rings a bell. The (over)use of 'to' and the complete absence of relative pronouns (you would probably use 'yang' several times in that sentence) might be a counterargument.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Sequor
sinic
sinic

Post by Sequor »

Iyionaku wrote: 06 Dec 2017 11:46
I doubt it's French because the concept of past participles is shared by both English and French, hence "have start" is not a mistake French people would do, I assume.
Counter-argument: the space between the last word and the question mark. In French, punctuation marks which consist of two components must be preceded by a space:
  • Tu t'appelles comment ?
    Je m'appelle Rachel !
    Il n'y reste qu'une question : pourquoi est-ce qu'il n'a pas utilisé l'article défini avant le mot « programmation » ?
I don't know why they didn't write "in the programming" though.
hīc sunt linguificēs. hēr bēoþ tungemakeras.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Serafín wrote: 08 Dec 2017 06:43
Iyionaku wrote: 06 Dec 2017 11:46
Counter-argument: the space between the last word and the question mark. In French, punctuation marks which consist of two components must be preceded by a space:
  • Tu t'appelles comment ?
    Je m'appelle Rachel !
    Il n'y reste qu'une question : pourquoi est-ce qu'il n'a pas utilisé l'article défini avant le mot « programmation » ?
I don't know why they didn't write "in the programming" though.
Huh. I learn French for five years without ever hearing from it. Quick google search turned your absolutely right, though. What do we pay school taxes for?
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
OliveAnne
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by OliveAnne »

I think he's talking about JavaScript? the language of web development (of course it's irrelevant here...)
Words are capable of making experience more vivid, and also of organizing it. They can scare us, and they can comfort us - Jonathan Safran Foer [tick]
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

Actually this kinda looks like Farsi to me. Mainly because the preposition [be] has both locative and dative meanings, and it is very easy to make the sentence grammatical without changing word order or anything in Farsi.

ʧeʤur (mitɒn-i) ʃuru dɒʃte.bɒʃ-i be yɒd.gereftan e ʤɒvɒ va kasi sɒjt-hɒ e xub midɒn-e ke marfi.mikone be <programming>
how (IPF-can-2S) start have-2S DAT learn-GER CNS java C IDF.PRON site-PL CNS good know-3S REL introduce-3S LOC <programming>
Zythros Jubi
sinic
sinic

Post by Zythros Jubi »

Well, how to say "programming" in Farsi?
Lostlang plans: Oghur Turkic, Gallaecian Celtic, Palaeo-Balkanic
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

In my opinion they could speak standard English but have autocorrect turned on.
abi
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by abi »

Obviously Java is short for Javanese and are from Indonesia, so probably Indonesian. [;)]
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Why not Javanese, if they mention Java?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Birdlang
greek
greek

Post by Birdlang »

They could be Sundanese. I’m not sure how that sentence would work in Basa Sunda though...
Or Madurese. I’m thinking some kind of Asian language, though I wouldn’t be sure.
It could even be some African language too.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

My guess is somewhere in India, or the Phillipines, since I've seen a lot of similarly formatted spam from that region. "to learn" makes me feel like Indo-Aryan languages are out of the option since they're inflecting like English. Tagalog would explain "have start to learn", since it doesn't have tenses, but does have aspects (which makes me think this person is translating using a dictionary). Wikipedia suggests that Tagalog uses a single oblique case, which could additionally explain "in programming".
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Birdlang
greek
greek

Post by Birdlang »

Maybe could even be a Dravidian language. Something to me suggests Tamil, Tulu or Malayalam, but I don’t know how that sentence would work in those.