John 3:16

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

John 3:16

Post by Khemehekis »

:eng: (Shakespearean) For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
:eng: (Contemporary) For God loved the world so much that He gave the only son He had had a gift, that gift being the fact that whoever believed in him would not perish, but would have everlasting life.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 89,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Cordoma
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: John 3:16

Post by Cordoma »

Dass gaefted de sesein sein sone ender die vold, defür feu dass die mangöd ahmürted die vold semüch.

That gifted of himself his son into the world, because was that the god loved the world so much.

-or-

He gave from himself, his son, into the world, because of his love for the world.
Darkgamma
banned

Post by Darkgamma »

:eng: (Shakespearean) For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
:eng: (Contemporary) For God loved the world so much that He gave the only son He had had a gift, that gift being the fact that whoever believed in him would not perish, but would have everlasting life.

:con: by Cordoma:
Dass gaefted de sesein sein sone ender die vold, defür feu dass die mangöd ahmürted die vold semüch.

That gifted of himself his son into the world, because was that the god loved the world so much.

-or-

He gave from himself, his son, into the world, because of his love for the world

:con: Kti:
Donē-ke-ana kuhirem Ōktarhazemum Akasha, ke sonamai Ukāina ǣs uenem esēn'me, denrakni den'sora uename hā'matoi ukæm zok neētton s'nosnin ke unūre
why-AMOUNT-INT love.IMPF-3SG.PAOR Oktarhazem-MASC.ACC.SG.INAN Akasha(-FEM.NOM.SG.ANI), AMOUNT give.PERF-3SG.PAST 3SG.FEM.POS-GEN son 3SG.FEM.NOM medicine-MASC.INST.SG.INAN, NEG-FUT-be-3SG dissapear(.ADJ) 3SG.MASC.NOM believe.IMPF-3SG.PRES 3SG.FEM.DAT EXPL ascend.PERF-3SG.PRES above-MASC.LOC.SG.INAN-MASC.SUBL.SG.INAN RELATIVE truth-MASC.INST.SG.INAN

Because Akasha loved the world as so, She gave Her only son She had as a cure, the truth which is whoever believes in Her will not perish but will rise up into the above.
[dɔnɛːkʲɛ.ana kuçirɛm ɔːktarxazɛmum akaʃa | kʲɛ sɔnamɒ͡y ukɑːina ɞ͍ːs uɛnɛm esɛːnʔmɛ | dɛnrakni denʔsɔra uɛnamɛ hɑːʔmatɔi ukəm zɔk nɛːːtːɔn s'nɔsnin kʲɛ unuːrɛ]
This would be considered blasphemy and I would be burned at the sci-fi stake for this in my conworld, but whatever
Svo hvernig get ég annað en glott á þig dauðlega?
pmitxki
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by pmitxki »

:con: by Cordoma:

-or-

He gave from himself, his son, into the world, because of his love for the world

:con: Kti:
Donē-ke-ana kuhirem Ōktarhazemum Akasha, ke sonamai Ukāina ǣs uenem esēn'me, denrakni den'sora uename hā'matoi ukæm zok neētton s'nosnin ke unūre
why-AMOUNT-INT love.IMPF-3SG.PAOR Oktarhazem-MASC.ACC.SG.INAN Akasha(-FEM.NOM.SG.ANI), AMOUNT give.PERF-3SG.PAST 3SG.FEM.POS-GEN son 3SG.FEM.NOM medicine-MASC.INST.SG.INAN, NEG-FUT-be-3SG dissapear(.ADJ) 3SG.MASC.NOM believe.IMPF-3SG.PRES 3SG.FEM.DAT EXPL ascend.PERF-3SG.PRES above-MASC.LOC.SG.INAN-MASC.SUBL.SG.INAN RELATIVE truth-MASC.INST.SG.INAN

Because Akasha loved the world as so, She gave Her only son She had as a cure, the truth which is whoever believes in Her will not perish but will rise up into the above.
[dɔnɛːkʲɛ.ana kuçirɛm ɔːktarxazɛmum akaʃa | kʲɛ sɔnamɒ͡y ukɑːina ɞ͍ːs uɛnɛm esɛːnʔmɛ | dɛnrakni denʔsɔra uɛnamɛ hɑːʔmatɔi ukəm zɔk nɛːːtːɔn s'nɔsnin kʲɛ unuːrɛ]
This would be considered blasphemy and I would be burned at the sci-fi stake for this in my conworld, but whatever

:con: Pmitxki
Zmuideu Iasu rihiahui mihu puim sruezuhe padetse puirpihu, puemdisreutse xir'uitse bjatisrui pmeui puirpi.
`zmwidɘʊ̯ `jɐsʊ ɾɪ`xjɐχwɪ `miχʊ pwɪm sʁɘʊ̯`zuχɘ pɐ`dɛtsɘ pwɪr`piχʊ, pwɘndɪ`sʁɛʊ̯tsɘ ʃɪr`ʔwitsɘ `bʒatɪsʁwɪ `pmɛwɪ `pwirpɪ.
(therefore God's having-loved-RESULT world-ACC He give only holy-son-ACC, for-them-ADJ everlasting life-"on behalf of" within-whom [resides] holy-son.)
Therefore, from God's having loved the world so much, he gave (his) only son, for their being given everlasting life, they in whom the son resided.
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

What English Bible translations are you quoting?

:swe: (Svenska Folkbibeln, 1998)

Ty så älskade Gud världen att han utgav sin enfödde Son, för att den som tror på honom inte skall gå förlorad utan ha evigt liv.
ty så älska-de Gud värld-en att han ut-gav sin en-födde Son, för att den som tro-r på honom inte skall gå förlorad utan ha evigt liv
for so love.PST God world.DEF that 3.M.sg out-give.PST 3sg.GEN one-born son, for that 3sg who believe-PRST LOC 3sg.M.OBL NEG FUT go lost but have eternal life.

:swe: 1917 års kyrkobibel

Ty så älskade Gud världen, att han utgav sin enfödde Son, på det att var och en som tror på honom skall icke förgås, utan hava evigt liv.
ty så älska-de Gud värld-en att han ut-gav sin en-födde Son på det att var och en som tro-r på honom skall icke förgå-s utan hava evigt liv
for so love-PST God world-DEF that he out-give 3sg.M-GEN one-born son LOC 3sg.N that each CONJ one REL believe-PRST LOC 3sg.OBL FUT NEG persish-PASS but have eternal life

:swe: Karl XII:s kyrkobibel (1703)

Ty så älskade Gud verldena, att han utgaf sin enda Son, på det att hvar och en, som tror på honom, skall icke förgås, utan få evinnerligit lif
ty så älska-de Gud verld-ena att han ut-faf sin enda Son på det att hvar och en som tro-r på honom skall icke förgå-s utan få evinnerligit lif
for so love-PST God world-DEF that 3sg.M out-give 3sg.M.GEN LOC 3sg.N that each CONJ one REL believe-PRST FUT NEG perish-PASS but get everlasting life.
rickardspaghetti
roman
roman

Post by rickardspaghetti »

Hur många biblar har vi egentligen? :-s
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。
Spoiler:
Ǧ Š Ȟ Ž Č

ǧ š ŋ ȟ ž č
:swe: [:D] :vgtl: [:D] :eng: [:)] :ita: [:|] :lkt: [:'(]
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

rickardspaghetti wrote:Hur många biblar har vi egentligen? :-s
Wikipedia wrote: Several translations has been made since then, including:

Official government-sanctioned translations, used by the Church of Sweden

Gustav Vasa Bible: the original ordered by Gustav Vasa, published in 1526 (New Testament) and 1541 (complete)
Gustav II Adolf Bible: a revision of the Gustav Vasa bible with verses, published 1618
Charles XII Bible: ordered by Charles XII of Sweden, published in 1703, a slight revision of Gustav Vasas
1917 års bibelöversättning, much revised but still with a slightly antiquated language
Bibel 2000: the latest official translation, including the Old Testament Apocrypha

Other Swedish translations

Bibletranslations from 1536, limited edition of four books in the Old Testament and the Apocrypha
Normalupplagan
Helge Åkessons översättning, by the baptist Helge Åkeson, 1911
Nya Världens bibelöversättning: by Jehovah's Witnesses, latest revision 2003
David Hedegårds översättning (New Testament only)
Bo Giertz översättning (New Testament only)
Svenska folkbibeln
Levande Bibeln: completed in September 2000, by the International Bible Society[1]
Reformationsbibeln (New Testament only)[2]
Bible translations into Swedish
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

Waʻtētexu

Tegu me ila á Ta Wāta ʻtawa, moe lika ta nāretaka ō teki, tege ma kū rākū xōru ō tawāxe xī, ile tolo mīta ō me'le ā xōru.
Tegy me ila ā Tā Wāta t-tawa moe lika ta nāre-taka ō teki tege ma kū rakū xōru ō tawāxe xī ile tolo mīta ō meʻle.
for IMPF love ERG DEF God DEF.world, so.that give DEF male.child GEN one, PURP FUT NEG perish 3pl GEN believe.PL 3sg but receive life GEN eternal ERG 3sg
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

xingoxa wrote:What English Bible translations are you quoting?
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. -- This came from the King James Version.

For God loved the world so much that He gave the only son He had had a gift, that gift being the fact that whoever believed in him would not perish, but would have everlasting life. -- This was my own rewrite, to reflect the way we'd say it in modern English. (Using "gave that" for "give the gift of the fact that" doesn't sound like the way we speak today.)
♂♥♂♀

Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

Khemehekis wrote:For God loved the world so much that He gave the only son He had had a gift, that gift being the fact that whoever believed in him would not perish, but would have everlasting life. -- This was my own rewrite, to reflect the way we'd say it in modern English. (Using "gave that" for "give the gift of the fact that" doesn't sound like the way we speak today.)
That's interesting...I always interpreted the verse as "God loved the world so much that he gave up his son, so that whoever believed in him would not perish, but would have everlasting life."
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

Trailsend wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:For God loved the world so much that He gave the only son He had had a gift, that gift being the fact that whoever believed in him would not perish, but would have everlasting life. -- This was my own rewrite, to reflect the way we'd say it in modern English. (Using "gave that" for "give the gift of the fact that" doesn't sound like the way we speak today.)
That's interesting...I always interpreted the verse as "God loved the world so much that he gave up his son, so that whoever believed in him would not perish, but would have everlasting life."
Me too, and that's how all Bible translations I know of interpret the verse.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
(New International Version UK edition)
Or check others at Biblegateway.
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

Khemehekis wrote:
xingoxa wrote:What English Bible translations are you quoting?
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. -- This came from the King James Version.
Which edition? Looks like the one from 1769 It's not really the original version from 1611, which reads like this:

For God so loued ye world, that he gaue his only begotten Sonne: that whosoeuer beleeueth in him, should not perish, but haue euerlasting life.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Trailsend wrote: That's interesting...I always interpreted the verse as "God loved the world so much that he gave up his son, so that whoever believed in him would not perish, but would have everlasting life."
So the word "that" is used to mean "so that"? Even given what you've said, it sounds different from the way we'd use "that" today.

I've never been able to understand archaic/Shakespearean/Biblical language. I puzzled over "tempest-tost" in the Witches' speech from Macbeth. And I still don't understand why Balaam's donkey spoke to him.
♂♥♂♀

Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

:chn: Mandarin

神愛世人,甚至將他的獨生子賜給他們,叫一切信他的,不至滅亡,反得永生 。
Shén ài shìrén, shènzhì jiāng tā de dú shēngzi cì gěi tāmen, jiào yīqiè xìn tā de, bù zhì mièwáng, fǎn dé yǒngshēng.
god love world, even use 3SG.MASC GEN sole born child gift for 3PL, shout all message 3SG.MASC GEN, NEG perish, instead COMP immortal
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Last edited by Iyionaku on 14 Dec 2017 08:46, edited 1 time in total.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Old :eng:

God lufode middan-eard swá, ðæt he sealde his án-cennedan sunu, ðæt nán ne forweorðe ðe on hine gelýfþ ac hæbbe ðæt éce lif.

:nl-fr:
Hwent sa ljeaf hat God de wrâld hawn, dat Er syn ienichstberne Soan jown hat, dat in elts dy’t yn him leaut, net fordjerre, mar it ivige libben hawwe mei.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

:got:

1.a) Guþ frijod midjungard swaswe, þatei gaf sunu anahan is, þatei ni ainshun fraqistnai saei galaubeiþ du imma, ak habaiþ libain aweinon.
god.NOM.SG love.PST.3SG world.ACC.SG ADV=ADV REL give<PST.3SG> sun.ACC.SG only.ACC.SG 3SG.M.GEN |REL NEG INDEF.ANIM.M.NOM.SG perish.SBJV.3SG REL.M.NOM.SG believe.PRS.3SG PRP 3SG.M.DAT | CNJ have<SBJV>3SG life.ACC.SG eternal.N.ACC.SG

1.b)

Guþ frijod þo manased swaswe, þatei gaf sunu ainahan is, saei ni fraqistnai saei galaubeiþ du imma, ak habaiþ libain aweinon.
god.NOM.SG love.PST.3SG DEM.F.ACC.SG world.ACC.SG ADV=ADV REL give<PST.3SG> sun.ACC.SG only.ACC.SG 3SG.M.GEN |REL NEG INDEF.ANIM.M.NOM.SG perish.SBJV.3SG REL.M.NOM.SG believe.PRS.3SG PRP 3SG.M.DAT | CNJ have<SBJV>3SG life.ACC.SG eternal.N.ACC.SG

To Whom Ulfilas is a Concern:
Be so good as to offer advice for verb-moods, and especially what to do with þatei ni ainshun / saei ni { NEG.INDEF.PRNs = the bane of my existence in most languages}. :roll:

Lambuzhao
Last edited by Lambuzhao on 25 Jun 2017 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

:tan: Swahili (Biblia Takatifu):

Kwa maana Mungu aliupenda ulimwengu kiasi cha kumtoa Mwanae pekee, ili kila mtu amwaminiye asipotee, bali awe na uzima wa milele.

Code: Select all

Kwa   maana       Mungu       a-li-u-pend-a            ulimwengu 
with  cause(CL9)  God(CL3AN)  3s.ANIM-PST-CL11-love-Ö  world(CL11) a 

kiasi        ch-a     ku-m-toa                Mwana-e           peke-e, 
amount(CL7)  CL7-GEN  INF(CL15)-3s.ANIM-give  offspring-GEN.3s  sole-GEN.3s

ili      kila   mtu          a-mw-amini-ye                    asipotee, 
so.that  every  person(CL1)  3s.ANIM-3s.ANIM-believe-REL.CL1  3s.ANIM-NEG-be.lost-SBJV

bali       awe               na    uzima         w-a       milele.
but.rather  3s.ANIM-be-SBJV  with  health(CL14)  CL14-GEN  eternity(CL9)
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Kôrem (actually it should be Kôrmo, cos it's a name. Maybe I'll change it.)

[kɔ'lo̞ 'me̞ssʊ sɛ'mitʊ 'se̞sɹʊ
'paβɛn 'to̞βnɪ 'me̞lkʊ
'ɹe.ɛpɛɪ ɣa 'sainɪn 'a.o
ɒl 'paβɔn 'inβɛɹnɔ
'so̞ɔ 'paβɪn nɛk'sa mɛɪɹ'ko̞nʊ]

kolo Mess-o sem<i>t-u Sesru,
because god-NAME love<DAT.TOP>STAT world,

pab<e>n Tobni melk-u,
give<AG.TOP> child only.STAT,

ree py, ga syn<i>n ao,
for any, REL believe<DAT.TOP> PRON

ôl pab<o>n Inbern-o
NEG give<PAT.TOP> Hell-NAME

soo pab<i>n naks-a myr-kon-u
but give<DAT.TOP> life-N always-last-STAT

'Because God has loved the world, he gave [his] only child for no one who believes in him is given to Hell but is given an ever-lasting life.'
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Vålkakil (This is translated from Finnish Bible)

[ɘmplä ly:b:tä mo:rru polʃɯk t͡ʃot ɘmpt͡sä øv:tti pɘ:kɶ̈nʃ es:øŋ pä:nnø:ʃ ä: läŋ:ɾäŋ høllek hä: ɘmptɘŋ ä:nni je:l:u]
Ëmpla mohrru lühbta polšik, čot ëmp-ca övtti pëhkånš, essonq pahnnöhš öft ah lanqraš Höllek, hah ëmptenq ahni jehllu.
Ëmpla mohrru lühb-ta polši-k, čot ëmp-ca övtti pëhk-å-n-š, essonq pahnn-öh-t-š ah lanqra-nq Hölle-k, hah ëmpt-enq ahnni jehllu
God earth.ACC love-SG3.DEFOBJ much-SUP, CPL give-PST.SG3.DEFOBJ only.ACC son-ACC-Ø-SG3POSS, for believe-PTCP.PRS-PL-POSS.SG3 NEG fall-FUT.CONNEG Hell-TERM, but get.FUT eternal.ACC life.ACC
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Void
sinic
sinic

Post by Void »

:con: Hieratic Shurturian

Tanúr Rohtir mašíla ašas, valhalatvor borgot dúja velirde, énerde uzduril nít; de uhritat lih verjepsisel temeth nít énerde.
[ˈtɑnuːr ˈrɔxtir ˈmɑʃiːlɑ ˈɑʃɑs ˈʋɑlxɑlɑtʋɔr ˈbɔrgɔt ˈduːja ˈʋɛlirdɛ ˈeːnɛrdɛ ˈuzduril niːt dɛ ˈuxritɑt liç ˈʋɛrjɛpsisɛl ˈtɛmɛθ niːt ˈeːnɛrdɛ]
for-CONJ lord love-3SG.PST world-ACC, believe-3PL.PST=that-SUBR who-PL 3SG.GEN son-LAT 3PL-LAT give-PST.PASS-HABIT be-3SG.FUT; NEG die-3PL.FUT but eternal life be-3SG.FUT 3PL-LAT
Since the Lord loved the world, whoever would have had faith in his son, would be gifted; they would not die, but have an endless life.