Affixes hatred

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Affixes hatred

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

La niña corrió alrededor del árbol y pateó la pelota. 10 words, 21 syllables :esp: Spanish, heavily fusional.

Shōjo wa ki no mawari ni hashitte bōru o ketta. 10 words, 17 syllables :jpn: Japanese, agglutinative

sonyeoneunnamu juwileul chyeoseo gong-eul geod-eo chassda. 6-8 words, 16 syllables :kor: Korean, heavily agglutinative

A lány szaladt a fa körül, és rúgta a labdát. 10 words, 15 syllables :hun: Hungarian, agglutinative

Tyttö juoksi puun ympärille ja potki palloa. 7 words, 15 syllables :fin: Finnish, heavily agglutinative

Dziewczyna obiegła drzewo i kop(nę)ła piłkę. 6 words, 13-14 syllables :pol: Polish, fusional/agglutinative

Die meisie het om die boom en die bal geskop het. 11 words, 13 syllables :afr: Afrikaans, isolating

Nǚhái pǎole zhōuwéi de shù hé tī chū de qiú. 10 words, 13 syllables :zho: Chinese, heavily isolating

The girl ran around the tree and kicked the ball. 10 words, 11 syllables :eng: English, isolating/fusional

Cô gái chạy xung quanh cây và đá bóng. 9 words, 9 syllables :vie: Vietnamese, heavily isolating
Last edited by Ear of the Sphinx on 24 Jun 2012 16:34, edited 2 times in total.
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
Xing
MVP
MVP

Re: Affixes hatred

Post by Xing »

:con: Wateu

Me ala ta gami i kuni o ta paxe poe olo ta koa. Tegenalexoro ennu le roxategena kaya.
Me ala ta gami i kuni o ta paxe poe olo ta koa. Tegena-le-xoro ennu le roxa-tegena kaya.
IPFV run DEF girl LOC circle GEN DEF tree and kick DEF ball ten-with-three word with two.ten syllable
'The girl ran around the tree and kicked the ball. 13 words and 20 syllables'
Click
runic
runic

Post by Click »

Curica/Djevojčica je obišla drvo i udarila loptu. 7 words(phonotactically 5),16/17 syllables :hrv: Croatian, fusional/agglutinative
Shorter version:
Curče obîđe drvo i udâri loptu.6 words(phonotactically 5),14 syllables.
Note:Used circumplexes to indicate special low-falling tone of the aorist tense to differentiate it from the present tense.
Toko
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Toko »

utje zhushj sovyzhj nje tovj ta shtagj zhj'nje zhuvj. 10 words, 11 syllables Image Zelsen
already run-about young-female (subject marker) tree also kick 3S-female (subject marker) ball
Image Zelsian (Khzajske)
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

Kala: 8 words; 16 syllables; Relational synthesis

nahi maye ito empaye ma ke mpila te'eye
girl around tree to.run-PST CONJ TOP ball to.kick-PST
The girl ran around the tree and kicked the ball.
g

o

n

e
xinda
roman
roman

Post by xinda »

11 syllables, agglutinative/partially polysynthetic

Eŋco pthutcaw thencıt lowcan thıdthıbbaŋ. :con: Cednitit
eŋ-co-Ø pthut-ca-w thı-en-cıt lowca-n thıd-thıbbaŋ
girl-DEF.A.SG-NOM tree-DEF.I.SG-OBL 3s.A.PST-around-run ball-DEF.I.SG-ACC 3s.A.PST>3s.I-kick
力在公蝦米????

flags
Click
runic
runic

Post by Click »

Omesúec cúilas tegmát él océpasúec gúmát.6 words,14 syllables Snowfall,agglutinative/fusional
IND-run-PERF-3SG girl.ERG tree.ACC and IND-kick-PERF-3SG tree-ACC
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

EDIT: check page 5 for new translation
Last edited by thetha on 03 Jan 2014 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
Golahet
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Golahet »

:swe: Swedish
Flickan sprang runt trät o sparka boll
flick-a-n sprang runt trä-t o sparka boll
girl-SG-DEF run/PAST around tree-DEF and kick ball

7 words, 9 syllables
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

:rus:
Девочка бегала вокруг дерева и гоняла мяч.
Девочк-а бега-ла вокруг дерев-а и гоня-ла мяч-Ø
girl-FEM.NOM run.IMPERF-FEM.PAST around tree-GEN and chase.IMPERF-FEM.PAST ball-MASC.ACC

7 words, 15 syllables. Fusional.

:con: Kaynur
Curnetmowt sakorun motes yammetat saw sasinmar.

cur-net-mowt-Ø ha-sa-kor-Ø mo-etes yam-net-t-Ø-Ø sa-u-Ø ha-sa-sin-mar-Ø
move.around.in.circles-stone-tree-3.ABS DEF-NOM-female.cub-3.ABS CONJ-INTENS touch-stone-DFCC-3.ABS-3.ERG NOM-DEM-3.ABS DEF-NOM-one-N.many.round.objects-3.ABS
Literally: "The female cub moves around in circles around the tree with the stone and touches the stone of the round kind intensely."

6 words, 15 syllables. Polysynthetic/agglutinative.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

:con: Vanga (fairly polysynthetic/agglutinating)

True past:

Hóḷ kújalm vœlljæhj/vœuḷḷ. Kuils sœystyddĺd.
"Tree round-ran girl. Ball kicked."
break/reach<PAST>-REL.ANIM.ABS<CONTR> be_round-run<PAST>.3PS carry<PAST>-SUPESS-REL.ANIM-ERG<CONTR> – be_round<PAST>-REL.INANIM.ABS blow-LAT-CAUS<PAST>.3PS
"Who reached (for the sunlight) was roundran by who carried (protrusions) above. Which was round was which blew into made."

5 words. 8 or 9 syllables.

"Narrative" past (present):

Hóh kújám vœljæhj/vœuḷ. Kújs sœystydd.
"Tree round-runs girl. Ball kicks."
break/reach-REL.ANIM.ABS<CONTR> be_round-run.3PS carry-SUPESS-REL.ANIM-ERG<CONTR> – be_round-REL.INANIM.ABS blow-LAT-CAUS<PAST>.3PS
"Who reaches (for the sunlight) is roundran by who carries (protrusions) above. Which is round was which blows into made."

5 words. 7 or 8 syllables.
Golahet wrote::swe: Swedish
Flickan sprang runt trät o sparka boll
flick-a-n sprang runt trä-t o sparka boll
girl-SG-DEF run/PAST around tree-DEF and kick ball

7 words, 9 syllables
What?
Last edited by Prinsessa on 07 Apr 2012 12:07, edited 1 time in total.
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

:swe: Flickan sprang runt trädet och sparkade bollen.
flicka -n sprang runt träd -et och sparka -de boll -en
girl -DEF run.PST around tree -DEF and kick -PST ball -DEF
[ˈflɪkan spraŋ rɵn(t)* ˈtrɛːdə ɔ ˈsparka ˈbɔlən]

Too lazy to mark the accents as well as aspiration and the length of the consonants (you'd expect a long consonant after a short vowel and vice verse), but it should still be a better translation than Golahet's. Well, at least when it comes to standard Swedish. For this particular pronunciation... 7 words and 11 syllables. I guess pronouncing trädet as [trɛːt] works too, but that's for "the wood" and not "the tree". And I guess some people prefer the pronunciation [trɛ:ə(t)] when it comes to that word. Oh, and if you don't drop the -de (or maybe it's weakening of -ade to -a -- I can't remember) you'll get another syllable.

*Seeing as there's another [t] following this [t] it would just merge, but I left it in anyway. I'm a real lazy bastard when it comes to transcription.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

Ceresz wrote::swe: Flickan sprang runt trädet och sparkade bollen.
flicka -n sprang runt träd -et och sparka -de boll -en
girl -DEF run.PST around tree -DEF and kick -PST ball -DEF
[ˈflɪkan spraŋ rɵn(t)* ˈtrɛːdə ɔ ˈsparka ˈbɔlən]

Too lazy to mark the accents as well as aspiration and the length of the consonants (you'd expect a long consonant after a short vowel and vice verse), but it should still be a better translation than Golahet's. Well, at least when it comes to standard Swedish. For this particular pronunciation... 7 words and 11 syllables. I guess pronouncing trädet as [trɛːt] works too, but that's for "the wood" and not "the tree". And I guess some people prefer the pronunciation [trɛ:ə(t)] when it comes to that word. Oh, and if you don't drop the -de (or maybe it's weakening of -ade to -a -- I can't remember) you'll get another syllable.

*Seeing as there's another [t] following this [t] it would just merge, but I left it in anyway. I'm a real lazy bastard when it comes to transcription.
I say "trä" for both "wood" and "tree" and I'm pretty sure lots of other people do too, seeing as Swedish is the only one out of the big five that even has a difference, and as lots and lots of people don't pronounce historical /ð/ at all anyway. I just say "träe" in the definite for both of them. Just pointing that out. There doesn't have to be a difference.

Also, I'm pretty sure standard Swedish is [ˈtrɛːdɛ(t)]. I don't think the standard even has a schwa. Anywhere. You're making me happy for not pronouncing that -t, though. Way too many do it.

As for aspiration... There is none in /spr/, right? Is there any in /tr/? There is, right?
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

Skógvur wrote: I say "trä" for both "wood" and "tree" and I'm pretty sure lots of other people do too, seeing as Swedish is the only one out of the big five that even has a difference, and as lots and lots of people don't pronounce historical /ð/ at all anyway. I just say "träe" in the definite for both of them. Just pointing that out. There doesn't have to be a difference.
Well yeah, I do that too from time to time, and you're absolutely right that there's no need to make that difference, at least in speech.
Skógvur wrote: Also, I'm pretty sure standard Swedish is [ˈtrɛːdɛ(t)]. I don't think the standard even has a schwa. Anywhere. You're making me happy for not pronouncing that -t, though. Way too many do it.
I pretty much use a schwa to transcribe every unstressed /ɛ/, but you could be right. The fact that I don't pronounce that -t is because I'm from Uppsala, and I guess that's one of the few features that survived in the Standard Swedish spoken there. That and the weakening of ade to a and preferring strong verb forms like böt and lös instead of bytte and lyste.
Skógvur wrote: As for aspiration... There is none in /spr/, right? Is there any in /tr/? There is, right?
Yeah, there's no aspiration after /s/, but that /t/ does have aspiration.
Hakaku
MVP
MVP

Post by Hakaku »

:jpn: Mainland Kagoshima Dialect:

おごじゃ木ん周よ走ってボールを蹴った。
ogoja kin maayo hashitte booru-o ketta.
ogoj=a ki=n maa-i=o hashi-tte booru=o ke-tta.
girl=TOP tree=GEN go_around-NOM=ACC run-CONJ ball=ACC kick-PAST
(6 words, 14 syllables, agglutinative & lightly fusional)

:ryu: Okinawan:

若女子ー木ぬ周い走てぃまーい蹴たん。
wakawinagoo kii-nu maai hashiti maai kitan.
waka-winag=oo kii-nu maa-i hashi-ti maai ki-ta-n.
young-woman=TOP tree-GEN go_around-NOM run-CONJ ball kick-PAST-ATTR
(6 words, 16 syllables, 21 morae, agglutinative)

"The girl ran around the tree and kicked the ball."
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

Unnamed, extremely polysynthetic and extremely experimental language:

kidarin kirkaln sekurn kirsebogarn semoln kirsehasn
/ˈkidæɾin kiɾkæln sekʊɾn kiɾsebɒgæɾn semɒln kiɾsehæsn/

ki-dari-n
3sF-girl-PST
'There was a girl'
ki-r-kal-n
3sF-ERG-run-PST
'She ran'
se-kur-n
3sINANIM-tree-PST
'There was a tree'
ki-r-se-bogar-n
3sF-ERG-3sINANIM-around-PST
'She was around it'
se-mol-n
3sINANIM-ball-PST
'There was a ball'
ki-r-se-has-n
3sF-ERG-3sINAMIN-kick-PST
'She kicked it'

What I can see, there's 6 words and 16 syllables. (Perhaps we could have a couple of more syllables by introducing syllabic nasals.)
DanH34
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by DanH34 »

:eng:
The girl walked around the tree and struck the ball.

:con: Zidhgebzhail - With different verbs, but identical syllable count.

zhafa ngoustweith gAmdzhaen hiedzh nozef gOumfan.
Girl walked around tree and struck ball. 6 words, 11 syllables. Agglutinative.
Spoiler:
zhaf-Ø-a ngoust-weith g-Amdzhae-n h-iedzh noz-ef g-Oumfa-n
girl-ABS.SG-F tree-CIRCUMESSIVE.SG.M PST-walk-SIMPLE SUBORDINATOR-and ball-ACC.SG.M PST-strike-SIMPLE
Life's a bitch, then you die.

Zidhgebzhail Orthography
Aleco
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Aleco »

Jenta sprang kring treet og sparka ballen. 7 words, 11 syllables :nor: Norwegian, isolating/fusional
jent(e)-a sprang kring tre-et og spark-a ball-en
girl-DEF run.PST around tree-DEF and kick-PST ball-DEF
[ˈjɛntʰɑ spɾɑŋ kɾɪŋ ˈtɾeːɛ ɔ ˈspɑɾkɑ ˈbɑlːɛn]

Gjenta løpte om trét å spærkæ bállen. 7 words, 11 syllables :nor: Norwegian [regional], isolating/fusional
gjent(e)-a løp-te om tré-t å spærk-æ báll-en
girl-DEF run-PST around tree-DEF and kick-PST ball-DEF
[ˈʝɛntʰɑ ˈlœptʰə ɔm tɾĩɛtʰ ɔ ˈspæɾ̥kæ ˈbɒɫːn̩]
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

Ballen, haha. You know what that means in Swedish, right [:P]?
Aleco
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Aleco »

Same as balle [f] in Norwegian I guess [:P]