Lots of clauses

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Dormouse559

Re: Lots of clauses

Post by Dormouse559 »

Salmoneus wrote:For instance, instead of saying "I cut the branch from the tree", why not say "I obtained the branch, cutting the tree"? [Or "I obtained the tree's branch, cutting", or "I robbed the tree, cutting the branch", or "The tree yielded me a branch, cutting", etc]. That seems the logical approach to the problem.
Yeah, that was my approach, but my imagination failed me. Your suggestions do look good.

:eng: :lat: Romanglic
Male human consuming victuals surmounting table fabricated using ligneous matter obtained via severing arboreal plant inhabiting Austral American forest rests.

If by "game" you meant Romanglic, it's a reversal of Anglish. I try to write English, but all the free morphemes must be of Romance, Latin or Greek origin (with exceptions for proper nouns; not going to worry about "America", for example).
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

:con: HyPry / Ngäliv Ëra

Nmër gi a, hlwönge tu ga tlezw hev gbhöl, tlo ay pärs, ha gwhim ma bbeng a o reng, reb tya phrulkumamër, rär.
[ŋ͡mer ki ɑ ʔl̥ʷøŋɜ tʰɯ kɑ t͡ɬɜd͡ʒʷ ʔɜb͡β k͡p'øl t͡ɬo ɑj pʰæɾ̥s ʔɑ kʷ'im mɑ pfɜŋ ɑ o r̥ɜŋ rɜf tʰj̊ɑ pˣrɯl̥xɯmɑmer r̥ær]
h-nmër g-i a h-lwönge tu ga tl-ezw he=ev h-gböl tlo a=i b-härd ha h-gwim ma be=b-eng a o r-eng re=be tya r-phulkum-amër rä=rä.
IND-sleep c3-man IND IND-eat INV.ZYX CLS3 c11-food above=support c12-table CLS11 IND arg1 c6-wood CLS12 IND-take.part.from.whole CONC CLS6=c6-tree IND arg2 c15-tree PST=CLS6 within c15-south-America CLS15=CLS15
The man that eats the food that is on the table that is made of wood that was chopped from a tree that was in a forest that was in South America is sleeping.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Kehgrehdid
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Kehgrehdid »

Dormouse559 wrote:
:eng: :lat: Romanglic
Male human consuming victuals surmounting table fabricated using ligneous matter severed apart arboreal plant inhabiting Austral American forest rests.

Gah! Spatial prepositions will be the death of me. I haven't figured out a satisfactory way to avoid words like "of", "from" and "away" in the "cut from a tree" part of this sentence because the syntax doesn't allow me to use my usual workarounds, like turning prepositional phrases into adjectives and compounds. In the end, I used "apart" as a preposition, which sounds odd.
May I propose "ligneous matter formerly composing arboreal plant"?
"Cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get over it."

I marvel that the hardest parts of my life (fear, mistakes, guilt, sin, doubt, failure) are of man, while what I crave most (rest, hope, love, peace, forgiveness) are of God.
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

:con: griuskant (without the conscript)

er zhed opa op zhed az vuzh kaut zhed thaenan vaezh tosk zhed sudan ga drat zhed az iuk hilsek zhed az vuzh paing em'aerike, raes trida.
/'ər ʒəd 'ɔpa 'ɔp ʒəd az vuʒ 'kaut ʒəd 'θenən veʒ 'tɔsk ʒəd 'sudan ga 'drat ʒəd az iuk 'hilsək ʒəd az vuʒ 'paiŋ ə'merikə, 'res 'trida/
person REL food-V food REL is at table REL material-V-PASS with wood REL cut-V-PASS from tree REL is in forest REL is at south america, 3SG sleep-V
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Kehgrehdid wrote:May I propose "ligneous matter formerly composing arboreal plant"?
Unfortunately, "former" is a Germanic word. [;)] I noticed you quoted my version from the last page. But I put up a modified version in my most recent post. What do you think of "ligneous matter obtained via severing arboreal plant", as I wrote, then?
Kehgrehdid
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Kehgrehdid »

"Ligneous matter obtained via dissecting aboreal plant"?
But ultimately, the best sounding ording in your conlang is the one you like best. Have fun with it whatever you decide. :-)
"Cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get over it."

I marvel that the hardest parts of my life (fear, mistakes, guilt, sin, doubt, failure) are of man, while what I crave most (rest, hope, love, peace, forgiveness) are of God.