The Magic Spear

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Re: The Magic Spear

Post by Lao Kou »

Iyionaku wrote:I think the most important part for me to memorize is never to use 是 with places and always 在.
Yep. The rest is probably just window dressing.
Lao Kou wrote:(and you did mark it with question marks).
Actually, the main reason why I marked this with question marks was the double genitive where I was extremely insecure if that is possible, especially together with the adjective.
I feel your pain. I start to get antsy when a piling-on of 的's occurs. My native-speaker boyfriend, on the other hand, seems far less fazed by this. I guess those of us trained in the Western tradition have it ingrained to start rewording when we get, "the spear of magic of the King of the South of France." It's not a tendency I wish to have excised as I cross over to Chinese -- I still try to tighten things up in 的-overload sentences. But then, the boyfriend will effortlessly pull out a four-character expression which eliminates the need for about two lines of text (sometimes you've never heard of them; sometimes you know them but wouldn't have thought to use them here...). In the meantime, try not to worry about "my aunt's best friend's sister-in-law's cousin's son's boyfriend's mother's maiden name". [B)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Re: The Magic Spear

Post by Iyionaku »

:con: Ular

哲人: 哪得我的矛器?
雇人: 矛器么得?
哲人: 我的矛器朮传得。
雇人: 你的矛器朮传得方无知我。
哲人: 什哦?你的矛器朮传得方无知我?你得雇人我。你物手知当要你。
雇人: 您得器间在看去有您?
哲人: 从得器间去当要我?得哲人,你再得雇人。订器间去你!
雇人: 有求必应,有求必应…
Spoiler:
哲人: 哪得我的矛器?
Ánggo: Ô tā lăn pō pŏnlún?

king: where TOP 1SG GEN spear
King: Where is my spear?

雇人: 矛器么得?
Kúnngō: Pŏnlún nú tā?

servant: spear which TOP
Servant: Which spear?

哲人: 我的矛器朮传得。
Ánggō: Lăn pō pŏnlún lhórtō tā.

king: 1SG GEN spear magical TOP
King: My magic spear.

雇人: 您的矛器朮传得方无知我。
Kúnngō: Pã pō pŏnlún lhórtō tā vũ pãm óng lăn.

servant: 2SG.HON GEN spear magical TOP place NEG know 1SG
I don't know where your magical spear is.

哲人: 什哦?你的矛器朮传得方无知我?你得雇人我。你物手知当要你。
Ánggō: Rū ô? Lăn pō pŏnlún lhórtō tā vũ pãm óng má? Má tā kúnngō lăn. Má ngàmâ óng làng álh má.

king: what PART? 1SG GEN spear magical TOP place NEG know 2SG? 2SG TOP servant 1SG | 2SG DEM.PROX know must wish 2SG
King: What? You don't know where my magic spear is? You are my servant. You should know.

雇人: 您得器间在看去有您?
Kúnngō: Pã tā lúnkón phū khû lhù jù pã?

servant: 2SG.HON PART weapon_room in look go PST 2SG.HON?
Have you looked in the weapon room?

哲人: 从得器间去当要我?得哲人,你再得雇人。订器间去你!
Ánggō: Tōng tā lúnkón lhù làng álh lăn? Tā ánggō, má tũr tā kúnggō. Nūn lúnkón lhù má!

follow TOP weapon_room go must wish 1SG? TOP king, 2SG again TOP servent | IMP weapon_room go 2SG
King: Why should I go to the weapon room? I'm the king, and you're the servant. Go to the the weapon room!

雇人: 有求必应,有求必应…
Kúnngō: Jù máj phū tóng, jù máj phū tóng...

[That phrase is a loan from Chinese without any specific meaning in Ular apart from its idiomatic usage]
Servant: As you wish, as you wish...
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.