Ezekiel 23:20

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Imralu
roman
roman

Ezekiel 23:20

Post by Imralu »

:eng: (New International Version)
There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.

:eng: (King James Version):
For she doted upon their paramours, whose flesh is as the flesh of asses, and whose issue is like the issue of horses.

:tan: Swahili (Biblia Takatifu):
Akawapendelea wapenzi wao, ambao nyama ya mwili wao ni kama nyama ya mwili wa punda, nacho kiwatokacho ni kama kiwatokacho farasi.
Then she was partial to their lovers, whose body meat was like donkeys' body meat, and that which exited them was like what exits horses.

Code: Select all

A-ka-wa-pendele-a                           wapenzi     w-ao,  
3s.ANIM-SUBSEQUENT-3p.ANIM-be.partial.to-Ö  lovers(CL2) CL2-GEN.3p 

amba-o       nyama      y-a      mwili      w-ao        ni   kama  
REL-REL.CL2  meat(CL9)  CL9-GEN  body(CL3)  CL3-GEN.3p  COP  like  

nyama      y-a      mwili      w-a      punda
meat(CL9)  CL9-GEN  body(CL3)  CL3-GEN  donkey(CL9/10)

na-cho   ki-wa-toka-cho       ni   kama  ki-wa-toka-cho       farasi
and-CL7  CL7-3p-exit-REL.CL7  COP  like  CL7-3p-exit-REL.CL7  horse(CL9/10)
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Re: Ezekiel 23:20

Post by Iyionaku »

Oh yes, that is indeed the quote of the bible. This is certainly something you can hold onto even in the worst times. [:)]
Also don't the English versions differ severly in their meaning?

:chn: Mandarin (CUV International)

貪 戀 情 人 身 壯 精 足 , 如 驢 如 馬 。
Tānliàn qíngrén shēn zhuàng jīng zú, rú lǘ rú mǎ.

[tʰan˥lɪ̯ɛn˥˩ ͡tɕʰiŋ˧˥ɻən˧˥ ʂən˥ ͡ʈʂʊ̯aŋ˥˩ ͡tɕiŋ˥ t͡su˧˥, ɻu˧˥ ly˧˥ ɻu˧˥ ma˨˩˦]
cling_to lover body strong energy EXC, such_as donkey such_as horse.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

Yeah, the English versions do seem quite different ... unless that's how you implied lusting and genitals back then. What's up with the Chinese version not mentioning emissions though? It really should say WHAT is like donkeys and WHAT is like horses.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Septuagint :grc:

καὶ ἐπέθου ἐπὶ τοὺς χαλδαίους ὧν ἦσαν ὡς ὄνων αἱ σάρκες αὐτῶν καὶ αἰδοῖα ἵππων τὰ αἰδοῖα αὐτῶν
CNJ desire<2AOR.MID.IND>2SG PRP DEF.M.ACC.PL <Chaldæan>M.ACC.PL REL.M.GEN.PL be<AOR>3PL ADV donkey.GEN.PL DEF.F.NOM.PL flesh.NOM.PL 3PL.GEN CNJ naughty.bits.NOM.PL horse.GEN.PL DEF.N.NOM.PL naughty.bits.NOM.PL 3PL.GEN

Nova Vulgata has membra "members' metonymic for 'body' (I think the Clementina has carnes Cf. :grc: ) , and fluxus 'flow,issue' where one might have expected pudenda ( = αἰδοῖα ).

ALSO, the :grc: keeps the main verbs (23:19-21) about her in direct address in the 2SG, while the :lat: texts make insanivit PFT.3SG, and save the 2SG for verse 23:21 (?). maybe this has more rhetorical punch, idk -

IMHO the :heb: text would bring this discrepancy more to light.

BTW, she & her sis were some nasty girls! Oohoohlalà!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzqBzCU_zpw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIEzDc7mMAA
Toot toot, hey, Beep beep!
:!: