Pharos (Phare) - My Conlang

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Blackscreen
rupestrian
rupestrian

Pharos (Phare) - My Conlang

Post by Blackscreen »

Pharos is a language isolated spoken on an fairly large island that is part of the Japanese archipelago. For now, most of the language is still in its 'note' form; however, I have written a few notes in PDF format, albeit rather poorly, I have a lot more to do, though. I would love to get some feedback from the CBB community.

Here's the PDF link (Containing Phonology, Morphology and a bit on Nouns)
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3gqCqW ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Blackscreen on 14 Jul 2013 20:02, edited 3 times in total.
Blackscreen
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: Pharos (Phare) - My Conlang

Post by Blackscreen »

Added some stuff about Pronouns and demonstratives; fixed a few errors and made it public.
Blackscreen
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Blackscreen »

Revised the grammar, added some stuff about the verbs, prepositions, adjectives and adverbs; added some examples as well.
nzk13
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by nzk13 »

Don't really have much to say, but it looks very well developed so far. I like it.
Skribajon mean vi esas lektant, kar amiki.
Native: American English. Knows: some Hebrew/Judaeo-Aramaic, some Ido, bit of La Esperanton, a couple of Yiddish words, and bits and pieces of others.
Blackscreen
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Blackscreen »

nzk13 wrote:Don't really have much to say, but it looks very well developed so far. I like it.
Well, thank you very much. I still have a lot to add, and to be honest, some of my ideas aren't really well fleshed out — that's why feedback is important.

Update: extra some stuff: more examples, prepositions and more on conjunctions.
xijlwya
sinic
sinic

Post by xijlwya »

Hey Blackscreen,

some good work in there. Actually, it's the only recent conlang on the board that really caught my interest.

Just from the quick glance at the new stuff: Is "He" oki or oshi? You used both forms in the document. I guess that Oshi is an old form you recently changed? [:D]
nzk13
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by nzk13 »

On the last page, you speak about subordinating conjunctions and how they affect word order.
When a subordinating conjunction is used, the independent clause’s word order changes to SOV, rather than VSO.
Example: That man at the store, who is he?

Risono-jivori to stora, sokarâ oshi?
DIST-man at store, who he
Question: Earlier, you gave a simple example of a static adposition:
Static adpositions:

|He is at the store.
Oshi to *stora
He at store
Where is there SOV order in your example of a subordinating conjunction's ability to make the independent clause SOV? The word order looks identical in both examples. Also, in neither sentence are there any real verbs, due to what seems to be copula-dropping (zero copula?). Without a verb, SOV and VSO are both SO. Please explain. (The answer's probably terribly obvious, but I'm linguistically inexperienced.)
Skribajon mean vi esas lektant, kar amiki.
Native: American English. Knows: some Hebrew/Judaeo-Aramaic, some Ido, bit of La Esperanton, a couple of Yiddish words, and bits and pieces of others.
Blackscreen
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Blackscreen »

Where is there SOV order in your example of a subordinating conjunction's ability to make the independent clause SOV? The word order looks identical in both examples. Also, in neither sentence are there any real verbs, due to what seems to be copula-dropping (zero copula?). Without a verb, SOV and VSO are both SO. Please explain. (The answer's probably terribly obvious, but I'm linguistically inexperienced.)
I apologize, it was an extremely bad example — I will rewrite it on next revision. And yes, the copula is nonexistent in Phare (to an extent).
Just from the quick glance at the new stuff: Is "He" oki or oshi? You used both forms in the document. I guess that Oshi is an old form you recently changed? [:D]
Yes, Oshi is the new form of the second person singular pronoun, oki, for me, did not sound right. it's a rather drafty revision — thanks for notifying me.