Weird Dream Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Weird Dream Thread

Post by Ahzoh »

cntrational wrote:Today I dreamed that I was part of some ninja-like feuding clans of magic users, who used magic to hide from and spy on each other. it involved elaborate gestures to maintain a field of hiding and secrecy, and there were things like being touched by a moth and becoming invisible, with only the presence of a moth -- which expert ninjas could detect, even so. It was nonsensical.
Yet it gives me an idea for conculture in an RPG I'm making...
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

cntrational wrote:Today I dreamed that I was part of some ninja-like feuding clans of magic users, who used magic to hide from and spy on each other. it involved elaborate gestures to maintain a field of hiding and secrecy, and there were things like being touched by a moth and becoming invisible, with only the presence of a moth -- which expert ninjas could detect, even so. It was nonsensical.
I feel like deriving a verb "to disappear, conceal" from my word for "moth"
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

I had a dream that involved a method of time travel. In it, a bathtub with an electrical cord is plugged into an electric pencil sharpener which itself is plugged into a wall outlet. The time traveler sits in the tub, and when the machine is turned on, they glow and gradually disappear. A wrinkle in the process is that, instead of traveling the other time as themself, the traveler inhabits the body of someone from the time period.

In the dream, a girl was sent back in time and inhabited the body of a president, who was talking to her (the president's) family. They were the Roe v. Wade family. Among the members were Dame Maggie Smith, as her "Downton Abbey" character, and an actor from the theatre company I'm in.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Dormouse559 wrote:I had a dream that involved a method of time travel. In it, a bathtub with an electrical cord is plugged into an electric pencil sharpener which itself is plugged into a wall outlet. The time traveler sits in the tub, and when the machine is turned on, they glow and gradually disappear. A wrinkle in the process is that, instead of traveling the other time as themself, the traveler inhabits the body of someone from the time period.

In the dream, a girl was sent back in time and inhabited the body of a president, who was talking to her (the president's) family. They were the Roe v. Wade family. Among the members were Dame Maggie Smith, as her "Downton Abbey" character, and an actor from the theatre company I'm in.
Sounds quite similar to Hottub Time Machine...
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Ahzoh wrote:Sounds quite similar to Hottub Time Machine...
Hmm, a little maybe. I never saw it, so my knowledge extends about as far as the title.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Dormouse559 wrote:A wrinkle in the process is that, instead of traveling the other time as themself, the traveler inhabits the body of someone from the time period.
That's been used in literature (and perhaps other media), and IMO is in some ways more believable than other chrononautical methods -- not that any of them are that believable, though I "willingly suspend my disbelief" in order to enjoy them.

Dormouse559 wrote:They were the Roe v. Wade family.
"Roe" is the second party in the business usually between jane doe, ricarda roe, joan miles, and richenza stiles. (Or john doe, richard roe, john miles, and richard stiles.)
That is, it's a standard pseudonym for a "party of the second part".
Though in these cases, the pseudonyms were "mary doe" and "jane roe". (Pseudonyms should be all lower-case.)
Wikipedia wrote:Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (1973), is a landmark decision by the United States Supreme Court on the issue of abortion. Decided simultaneously with a companion case, Doe v. Bolton, the Court ruled 7–2 that a right to privacy under the due process clause of the 14th Amendment extended to a woman's decision to have an abortion, but that this right must be balanced against the state's two legitimate interests in regulating abortions: protecting prenatal life and protecting women's health.
….
In 1970, Coffee and Weddington filed suit in a U.S. District Court in Texas on behalf of McCorvey (under the alias Jane Roe). The defendant in the case was Dallas County District Attorney Henry Wade who represented the State of Texas.
Wikipedia wrote:Doe v. Bolton, 410 U.S. 179 (1973), was a decision of the United States Supreme Court overturning the abortion law of Georgia. The Supreme Court's decision was released on January 22, 1973, the same day as the decision in the better-known case of Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (1973).
….
The plaintiff, a pregnant woman who was given the pseudonym "Mary Doe" in court papers to protect her identity, sued Arthur K. Bolton, then the Attorney General of Georgia, as the official responsible for enforcing the law.
See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norma_McCo ... sonal_life and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norma_McCo ... conversion to see what a nightmare it would be to be part of jane roe's family, and for one of them to become president.

OTOH FAIK Henry Wade's family may one day produce a president; maybe a female president; maybe a president who is a mother. Henry Wade himself was clearly a politician; maybe the Wades are a political family. (Certainly he and his brothers were a family of lawyers, whether or not many of them were politicians.)
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Granted that a ninja and a magic-user can appear as anything they want, did they look more like stereotypical "ninjas" (e.g. black gi, covered faces) or more like stereotypical "magic-users" (e.g. Gandalf, Dumbledore, Voldemort, Gannon)?? If not, with what kinds of togs did they accouter themselves?

Did the magic-users have to continually do the gestures to maintain cloaking/secrecy, or was it a "once and done" series of gestures?

Were there certain magic users who did the gestures for others, or did each magic user have to do the gestures themselves?

IMHO More ninjas need to take advanced-level Past-Graduate studies in Advanced Spells, Incantations and Curses. Too many wallow in poisons, drugs, smoke and mirrors. Kudos to your internal dream-generator!
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Ahzoh wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:I had a dream that involved a method of time travel. In it, a bathtub with an electrical cord is plugged into an electric pencil sharpener which itself is plugged into a wall outlet. The time traveler sits in the tub, and when the machine is turned on, they glow and gradually disappear. A wrinkle in the process is that, instead of traveling the other time as themself, the traveler inhabits the body of someone from the time period.

Sounds quite similar to Hottub Time Machine...
...and sort of like Constantine. Insofar as, for travelling to Hell, you need to at least have your feet submerged in water. Perhaps water is a transdimensionally-stable
substance (i.e. it basically behaves the same in other dimensions). Thus you can use it to create a non-reactive envelope within which to travel.

I wrote a Doctor-Whoesque short-story wherein the protagonist and his assistant had to traverse a 2-dimensional planet. They had to don "goldsuits" which were made of woven gold (Au) microfibers (and a couple of other substances) that allowed them to create a 3-dimensional pocket in the 2-D universe. The conceit was that gold was essentially stable and non-reactive up to the 9th dimension. They also had to basically walk in a semi-profile, kind of contorted Egyptian bas-relief sort of way.

Hooray for Time and Relative Dimensions in Space!
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

In my dream, the non-reactive material must have been porcelain or fiberglass, because I remember the bathtub being empty.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

eldin raigmore wrote:(Pseudonyms should be all lower-case.)
When was this a thing? I have never seen John Doe, or something like John Q. Public used in lowercase. Unless it was used in the sense of "we found a john doe washed up on the beach" i.e. as shorthand for an unknown person's dead body.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

XXXVII wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:(Pseudonyms should be all lower-case.)
When was this a thing? I have never seen John Doe, or something like John Q. Public used in lowercase. Unless it was used in the sense of "we found a john doe washed up on the beach" i.e. as shorthand for an unknown person's dead body.
Since before e. e. cummings and damon knight; but maybe it applies only to authors or something, I don't know, because I also have never seen john doe instead of John Doe or john q. public instead of John Q. Public. There are rules but I guess I don't know where they are, much less what they are. Sometimes, at least, some pseudonyms should be all lower-case; "I remember seeing that somewhere" may wind up being the best citation I can give you; but I'll keep looking.
mbrsart
sinic
sinic

Post by mbrsart »

The dream isn't particularly weird, but I did find it strange. I went to Wal-Mart to get some donuts (they aren't the best donuts' but it's all we've got in this tiny town), and rather than getting just one or two, I got half a box. Most of them were chocolate-iced Bavarian cream-filled long johns (or bars, or what have you), but I did get a couple of donuts covered in chopped nuts.

Normally I dream about things like biking through Klamath National forest from Walla Walla, WA to Portland, OR on a school-owned cruiser bike that isn't supposed to leave campus. (The weird thing is, Klamath National Forest is in the wrong part of Oregon for this to be possible.) But now I just want donuts.
:con: Hra'anh | :eng: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :grc: [:|] | :heb: [:|] | :epo: [:S] | :deu: [:S] | :ita: [:S] | :bra: [:'(] | :fra: [:'(]
CinnamonTrees
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by CinnamonTrees »

mbrsart wrote:Normally I dream about things like biking through Klamath National forest from Walla Walla, WA to Portland, OR on a school-owned cruiser bike that isn't supposed to leave campus. (The weird thing is, Klamath National Forest is in the wrong part of Oregon for this to be possible.) But now I just want donuts.
Well, you could go through Klamath National Forest, but it'd be a rather ridiculous detour. [;)]
mbrsart
sinic
sinic

Post by mbrsart »

CinnamonTrees wrote:
mbrsart wrote:Normally I dream about things like biking through Klamath National forest from Walla Walla, WA to Portland, OR on a school-owned cruiser bike that isn't supposed to leave campus. (The weird thing is, Klamath National Forest is in the wrong part of Oregon for this to be possible.) But now I just want donuts.
Well, you could go through Klamath National Forest, but it'd be a rather ridiculous detour. [;)]
But a pretty one. One time, I was driving up I-5, and I wanted to take US-97. Missed the turnoff, and I was to Medford by the time I realized it. So I cut over through the heaviest of the forest, and even though it added an hour to an already 14-hour drive, it was something I'd love to do again.
:con: Hra'anh | :eng: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :grc: [:|] | :heb: [:|] | :epo: [:S] | :deu: [:S] | :ita: [:S] | :bra: [:'(] | :fra: [:'(]
CinnamonTrees
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by CinnamonTrees »

mbrsart wrote:But a pretty one. One time, I was driving up I-5, and I wanted to take US-97. Missed the turnoff, and I was to Medford by the time I realized it. So I cut over through the heaviest of the forest, and even though it added an hour to an already 14-hour drive, it was something I'd love to do again.
Yeah. I'm from the Bay Area, but I have an uncle who lives in Ashland, and I've been to family weddings in Sunriver (near Bend) and Walla Walla, so I have a little bit of experience with the Pacific Northwest. Very very beautiful.

Anyway, I'll stop derailing the thread now. :P
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

I had a dream last night that my grandma's washing machine room turned into a huge photography center. The person in charge of the photography stuff (I think they might have been a principal at one of the schools around here or sth.) had a son my age and he was really attractive.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I had two weird dreams last night.

In one of them, I was dating a woman about my age, when I discovered she was still on friendly terms with her ex-husband (I hadn't known she'd been married) and occasionally took care of him (apparently he'd once been a very successful intellectual but now was losing his sight and, in his own opinion at least, also his intellect).
We went over to his trailer to help him go through some of his "junk" and clean up what he wanted to keep and put it in a better place to keep it and throw out or otherwise get rid of what he didn't want to keep.
(This involved some discussion about brown recluse spiders, I remember.)
Anyway I found a picture of him and his date from some time before he'd married my-date-his-ex-wife; and lo and behold, his date (in that photo) was my own ex-wife before I'd met her!

I'm pretty sure there was more weird stuff in the dream but dreams fade fast.

In the other weird dream, I suddenly had to go to the airport to pick up my aunt, who, in the dream, was a black (African-American) woman. She was about the age I am now, and I was maybe 20 or 25 years younger (say in my late 30s or early 40s). (In real life I don't have any African-American relatives except my daughter. I'm 29/32 Euro-American and 3/32 Native-American; my aunts and my uncle are 13/16 Euro-American and 3/16 Native-American. In real life.)
My car in the dream was, as it is in real life, very cluttered; it would take some time to unload the front passenger seat enough that someone could sit in it. (The fact that I didn't do so before picking her up from the airport is why I know that my having to pick her up was sudden.)
In my dream my aunt knew it would be. She said half the cars she'd seen were like that. (In real life, a few -- but not nearly half -- of my friends also have cluttered cars, but as far as I know I'm the only one whose front passenger seat can't quickly be cleaned up enough for a passenger to sit in it.)
There was more weird stuff in the dream, but the main other thing I remember about it is that she seemed to know a lot about me and what I thought that I didn't expect her to know.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I think it's important to note that even if see random people in your dream, or physical features not present in people you know, at some point in your life you met that person or seen that physical feature, especially from walking in crowds.
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

Several days ago I had a dream I was again in middle school in some totalitarian Polish city and was kissed by a blonde lesbian my age. [O.o] [o.O]
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

And I had another game-dream...
I was playing GTA V (driving, not shooting).
An update was being downloaded by my PS3 at the same time.
Then I had to drive away from a certain region in the north, because the update included additional land: a harbour, a small city and an airport.
If I didn't escape from the region adjacent to the addition before the installation was complete, my character would be in extremely bad mood and he'd start killing people (and I would have zero control).
The affected area was highlighted red (and if zoomed in, the borders would show this: :mrred: ) and a countdown started (30 seconds) and I drove southwards, having escaped at 00:03.

The character I played was similar to CJ in GTA San Andreas.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com