The Glenrién Writing System

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Redaun
rupestrian
rupestrian

The Glenrién Writing System

Post by Redaun »

I took the time to finish designing the look of the alphabet for Glenrién tonight. Pardon my chicken-scratch, but here it is:

(Let me know if this image is too big or not allowed or whatever)

It's fairly simple and unoriginal, as most things I do with Glenrién are, but my goal for Glenrién is basically to be easy to understand, but fun to make and play with. I don't really care if it's not naturalistic at this point, I can do that with other languages later. XD

Glenrién's syllables can only be formed with certain letter combinations, but they're usually easy to remember. The vowel is the only required part of the syllable, and the rest are optional. Of course, they have to be put together in the order shown (Onset > L or R > Vowel > Final). But I think it's fairly easy to figure out. The only thing not explicitly pointed out is that the 2nd L or R can't follow an M, N, or another L or R.

The faded parts of the letters on the right columns are only example parts of the letters, to show where in a normal syllable they will end up. For example, the syllables shown in the "Finals" column are <gil> <gir> <gim> <gin> and et cetera, but the actual letter <l> is only that dark line at the bottom.

Case-markers and certain particles will eventually get their own symbols, while most of the words themselves will use this alphabet. So <tishéligel> will end up being spelled <(Dative-case-marker)shéligel>, but that's a ways down the line still.

I hope this all makes sense. Then again, a lot of stuff I do only makes sense to me, haha. Feedback is appreciated. :D

(PS: The lexicon is through this link if you want to see what those words mean: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
I'm also open to feedback on that, too.)
Last edited by Redaun on 15 Nov 2014 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
[ɹeɪˈdɑːn]

:con: Glenrién (Constant work in progress)
Info HERE and Lexicon HERE.
I have no idea what I'm doing.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Re: The Glenrién Writing System

Post by Creyeditor »

I ike it, especially characters with a nearly enclosed space [:)]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Redaun
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: The Glenrién Writing System

Post by Redaun »

Thanks! They're fun to do that way.
[ɹeɪˈdɑːn]

:con: Glenrién (Constant work in progress)
Info HERE and Lexicon HERE.
I have no idea what I'm doing.