You

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Re: You

Post by Lambuzhao »

Welcome!
Himmel
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Himmel »

Alias(es): Sky?
Sex: female
Interests: language, religions, physical sciences, health, the environment
Favorite music: folk, traditional, instrumental, metal
Political ideology: pretty left-y
Conlangs: one unnamed conlang, couple forgotten ones
Other hobbies: backyard astronomy, swimming
Where do you see yourself in ten years? No idea. Hopefully somewhere purdy.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Hi Himmel!
diaman
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by diaman »

Hi there! I was recommended to join here a while ago but I couldn't invest the time to join another forum just then. I think I can try now but there's no guarantee.

Alias(es): achemel (on Vreleksa), tlhakujunkan (dA)
Interests: Varied and plentiful.
Favorite music: Also varied.
Conlangs: ddamychal, nomah, racel, lashel, hemnalg, kari, keudeu, tadvaradcel, ualaxx
Other hobbies: I like mapping out my conworlds and taking online quizzes. Cooking is also pretty fun, as is collecting spare change and other shiny things, and trying to get my friends to watch the same tv shows that I like.
Where do you see yourself in ten years? Probably in the same place, but 10 years older.

The conlangs listed are developed enough for me to consider them functional languages while also having either a working writing system or one undergoing construction/revision. The one I use most is ddamychal but my favorites are racel and a dialect of hemnalg. I've also left out all the diacritics...
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Hello, Himmel and diaman!

The more, the merrier!

[:)]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

diaman wrote:Alias(es): achemel (on Vreleksa), tlhakujunkan (dA)
Hi, achemel. Recognize me?
diaman
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by diaman »

eldin raigmore wrote:
diaman wrote:Alias(es): achemel (on Vreleksa), tlhakujunkan (dA)
Hi, achemel. Recognize me?
Hahaha, yep. ^_^ Hello!
Redovas
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Redovas »

So I'm really bad at both introductions and not lurking, so here's an effort at both.

Alias(es): Redovas (here, also my ESO character); arienzio (dA, reddit, etc.; it's just my name spelled out in Americanese); irrationalnumber (tumblr); and a host of others I use when I'm feelin' shady.
Date of Birth: 1995-06-02
Interests: Art, architecture, history, cartography, video games, linguistics, writing systems (god yes), some TV shows
Favorite music: No shame - pop music: electronica, synth pop, Asian pop... And a bunch of other genres too, but I ain't listing them all.
Conlangs: Some include Halbesh, Sun Speech, Sinkh, Mharnaz, Moonsong, and Nexaean
Other hobbies: Drawing, painting, concept art, illustration, worldbuilding, graphic design, chocolate, video games, a hot mess mix of all of those, and lots of sleeping and eating.
Where do you see yourself in ten years? Bathing in cash and eating ice cream every day (a guy can dream)... Hopefully I get some job as an artist in the game industry. Maybe even creative director, putting those conworlding skills to use...

I have my art stuff in my sig if you're curious. I'm also notoriously bad at consistency in anything so pardon me if my posts are like 50 years apart from one another.
'Sup.

:tgl: · :usa: | :kor: · :fra: · :jpn:
// ART THINGS
// CONWORLD THINGS
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

I keep swaying my heart afar and toward myself over various rumors. so...

Alias(es): k1234567890y, various names from anime-manga-videogame girl characters(e.g. Neptune Purple Heart, Kirino Kousaka/高坂桐乃, KOS-MOS, etc.), which may change according to the characters I like
Date of birth: 20th/may
Interests: Constructed languages and cultures, cute moe anime girls like Nep-nep
Favorite music: guess from my list on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=F ... dJYgDu9iVg
Political ideology: the result was economically leftish and politically more democratic, however, my political ideology could be in fact inconsistent
Conlangs: see here: http://cals.conlang.org/people/472/
Where do you see yourself in ten years? I don't know
Other info:
My Pixiv: http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=740381
My Deviantart: http://k1234567890y.deviantart.com

Very important announcement:

Tay and babybunny2044 and hatsunix are trustworthy people, they are my brothers and sisters online, if anyone tries to make me distrust any of Tay or babybunny2044 or hatsunix , or tries to persuade me that any of Tay or babybunny2044 or hatsunix is a liar, they are trolling in front of me, harming my brothers and sisters, without any single exception.

Anyone who is trying to attack Tay, babybynny2044 or hatsunix is being my enemy that is confronting me, don't do that.
Last edited by k1234567890y on 16 Apr 2018 01:05, edited 5 times in total.
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

I think its time for an update. By which I mean just my gender.
Aszev wrote:A good conlang doesn't come from pursuing uniqueness. Uniqueness is usually an effect from creating a good conlang.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Looks like an update:

Alias(es): Ashahijar
Date of birth: 1997
Interests: Anthropolgy, conlanging, conworlding, Biology
Favorite music: I like Alt Metal and Rock; System of a Down, Three Days Grace and Foo Fighters
Political ideology: Communist, of the Marxist-Leninist variety
Conlangs: Image Vrkhazhian
Other hobbies: Conlanging, Music Composing, Game Making
Where do you see yourself in ten years? Biologist or an Anthropologist
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Threr
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Threr »

Alias(es): Chaest Mrassoss
Date of birth: 24/02/1995
Interests: Most of the things in this world, conlangs, conworlds, info
Favorite music: I like all kind of music
Political ideology: Sheeps ruling the world
Conlangs: Deyryck, Fikji, Deymaat
Other hobbies: Badminton
Where do you see yourself in ten years? Dunno
Redaun
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Redaun »

Aiyaaa!

Alias(es): Red. Redaun. Nathan. The list goes on, but I don't wanna confuse you.
Date of birth: The 8th of December of '92 (I'm almost 22 yaaaay)
Interests: Drawing, music, and storytelling of any sort.
Favorite music: ... Everything?
Political ideology: I try to stay out of politics because I can't ever wrap my head around them. My goal would be for everyone to be happy, but that's kind of impossible so I stopped trying.
Conlangs: Glenrién. It's small but I'm proud of it. :3
Other hobbies: Just drawing, mostly.
Where do you see yourself in ten years? That is... a long time from now. Hopefully still working on my stories or something else fun, at least.

Nice to meet you all!
[ɹeɪˈdɑːn]

:con: Glenrién (Constant work in progress)
Info HERE and Lexicon HERE.
I have no idea what I'm doing.
Trebor
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Trebor »

Alias(es): Trebor
Date of birth: XX/YY/1990
Interests: Languages, history/current events, theology, music/choir
Favorite music: Classic rock, Middle Eastern popular, Byzantine
Political ideology: In favour of peace (generally) and civil liberties (always)
Conlangs: Kosi, Gbira, two unnamed projects
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

Alias(es): alynni, aly, swenson, swen
Date of birth: 1992
Interests: language (I feel that this is a given), history (probably ditto), singing, writing terrible short stories and novels, playing videogames, watching other people play videogames on Youtube, and eating things
Favorite music: I have pretty eclectic interests... I'll listen to most anything so long as it's got something interesting going on. Not a big rap, country, blues, or jazz person, but even there, I usually can find something I like.
Political ideology: more conservative than liberal (by US standards), but sufficiently varied that I no longer find labels particularly useful
Conlangs: Tirina, Azen, Old Azen, Dalar Sign Language if I ever do anything with it
Other hobbies: Ooh, I think I answered this one for my interests. Oh well.
Where do you see yourself in ten years? Queen of the universe. Oh wait, I wasn't supposed to tell you that. Probably in much the same place, just with a house instead of an apartment and being better at my job. I'm pretty content with my life. I guess finding a life partner would be nice too.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Threr, Redaun, Trebor, Alynnidalar, I bid you welcome!

[:)]
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

Taking after Ahzoh, given some important changes.

Alias(es): Lodhas, Desmodeus, Traumatic Catharsis, Angdharag (or Angdharagh), Hekes, Blakari, Scorn, Black Dragon, Leviathin, Basilisk etc.
Date of birth: 17/12/89
Gender/Sexuality: Straight male, both biologically and in terms of gender identity.
Occupation: Previously a music student, currently Domino's shift-runner-into-assistant-manager-limbo, and sporadically a commissioned artist too, though drawing for other people is usually a hateful task.
Interests: Music (see below), books (high and low fantasy, hard and soft sci-fi, crime, pseudo-historical and non-fiction), Scottish and *sigh* British politics, science (evolutionary biology, quantum mechanics), linguistics and languages, philosophy, video games (RPG, RTS, FPS, TPS, fighting games) and tabletop games (RPG and war).
Favourite music: Metal (multiple subgenres, including several 'core' genres), romantic and post-modern, electric blues, jazz fusion, hardcore punk and traditional Scottish (specifically fast reels).
Political Ideology: Strongly Left-libertarian (closing on Voluntarism), strongly pro-Scottish independence, Secular Humanist.
Religion: None, I'm a strong atheist, and somewhere between an existentialist and a nihilist (well, we are kind of on the subject of world views). Also, apparently misanthropy is a philosophical position, so I guess it goes here too.
Natlangs: I speak English natively, agus tha beagan Gàidhlig agam
Conlangs: Currently only Erai, which is a root language that I'm currently deriving three branches from, plus a few trade pidgins between the tips of those branches, and one cant. I might have threads for all of these up at some point, but I have my doubts given my previous track record for this.
Other hobbies: Gaming (see above), reading, playing and writing music (symphonic death metal primarily), writing short stories and currently one novel (see conworld).
Where do you see yourself in ten years? Depends how much of a cynic I feel when you ask.
Last edited by Ànradh on 21 Apr 2017 04:28, edited 4 times in total.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

-
Last edited by thetha on 08 Apr 2015 01:31, edited 2 times in total.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Kimbwdishi wrote:Gender: female
Corphishy wrote:Gender: Female (trans)
Ahzoh wrote:Gender: Male
Threr wrote:Gender: Male
Redaun wrote:Gender: Man.
Trebor wrote:Gender: Male
alynnidalar wrote:Gender: Female
Ànradh wrote:Gender: Male
Teddy wrote:Gender: Somewhere in the middle. I guess I think of myself as more female than male (whatever that means)
[rant]
Guys, this is a linguistics site! Please don't say "gender" when you mean "sex"!

(@Himmel: You did it right! Thank you.)

"Gender" is concordial noun-class; what genders there are (and whether there are any) depends on what language you're speaking.
I often list my gender as "roundish and squishy" (a gender in some Native North American language), or "animate" (a gender in many languages).

"Sex" is a biological total-outcrossing class. Which ones there are depends on what species the subject belongs to. Some species don't reproduce sexually. Some that do don't have mothers and fathers (and hence don't have males and females). Some of them have different total out-crossing classes, some more than two; but some have none. In some that do have mothers and fathers nearly all specimens are hermaphroditic, so there is "only one sex" -- i.e. hermaphroditic; no total out-crossing classes.

Among humans nearly everyone is either male (and can only become a father, not a mother) or female (and can only become a mother, not a father); and sex for almost all of us is determined at birth. But in every species (including humans) in which nearly all specimens are either males or else females, and nearly all remain one sex from the moment of sexual maturity on for the rest of their lives, there are a minority for whom something else happens. Among humans, since the 1960s, this can be by choice.

Outside of a linguistics discussion people "mis"-use "gender" when they mean "sex" a lot; maybe the English language word "gender" is changing colloquial meanings or acquiring a new one.
But for the moment we need the word "gender" to describe something that's entirely grammatical; that is, a class of nouns with which other words in the clause must agree or concord.
"Sex" is not a linguistics term; it's already available to denote biological sex, we don't need to water down the meaning of the word "gender" by pretending it's a more polite and more educated term than "sex" for the same thing, like "copulate" for "fuck" or "vagina" for "pussy" or "feces" for "shit". "Sex" is not an offensive word to begin with.
[/rant]

But, anyway:
Redaun wrote:Nice to meet you all!
What he says. Nice to meet you all!

thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

The word "gender" is used in ways that do not refer to grammatical structures or biological sex. I'm surprised that you do not know this.