Diachronic Conlanging open world

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
smappy
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Diachronic Conlanging open world

Post by smappy »

I'm not saying that all ancient mountains are totally tiny and insignificant. They are still significant. However, they are quite different from newer mountains.

For example, the highest point in the Brazilian Highlands, Pico da Bandeira, is 2,864 m high. However, the highest point in the Andes, Mount Aconcagua, is 6,962 m high. This is quite a difference. In addition, the Brazilian Highlands are relatively flat compared to the extremely jagged Andes. Thus, the topography is also quite different.

Another note: the Himalayas represent the highest any mountain range can physically go. The reason for this is the principle of isostasy, which means that any higher and the crust will sink down into the mantle. Basically, the crust and mantle work together to restore tectonic equilibrium by making tall things sink and short things rise. Colliding plates can cheat this for a while by having one plate pass under the other and 'prop' the other one up, but ultimately the plates will sink/ get eroded.

This is why we can't just make arbitrarily high mountains and say they eroded down the the height of the Himalayas. The Himalayas are about the highest any mountains can go. This limit is also what was reached by the Appalachians, Brazilian Highlands, and Great Dividing Range in Australia during their heydays— what we have now is a result of that extreme.

tl;dr Any mountains of the age of the Brazilian Highlands or the Great Dividing Range cannot be any taller. They have already reached the maximum height possible (the height of the present-day Himalayas). They can, however, retain both cultural and geographical significance, though perhaps not on the order of newer, higher mountains.

Thanks for reading, yet again!
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world...

Languages: English, Mandarin, Basque, Durv Mendỹ, Shanghainese
Visit Teles! And join the project!
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

smappy wrote:I'm not saying that all ancient mountains are totally tiny and insignificant. They are still significant. However, they are quite different from newer mountains.

For example, the highest point in the Brazilian Highlands, Pico da Bandeira, is 2,864 m high. However, the highest point in the Andes, Mount Aconcagua, is 6,962 m high. This is quite a difference. In addition, the Brazilian Highlands are relatively flat compared to the extremely jagged Andes. Thus, the topography is also quite different.

Another note: the Himalayas represent the highest any mountain range can physically go. The reason for this is the principle of isostasy, which means that any higher and the crust will sink down into the mantle. Basically, the crust and mantle work together to restore tectonic equilibrium by making tall things sink and short things rise. Colliding plates can cheat this for a while by having one plate pass under the other and 'prop' the other one up, but ultimately the plates will sink/ get eroded.

This is why we can't just make arbitrarily high mountains and say they eroded down the the height of the Himalayas. The Himalayas are about the highest any mountains can go. This limit is also what was reached by the Appalachians, Brazilian Highlands, and Great Dividing Range in Australia during their heydays— what we have now is a result of that extreme.

tl;dr Any mountains of the age of the Brazilian Highlands or the Great Dividing Range cannot be any taller. They have already reached the maximum height possible (the height of the present-day Himalayas). They can, however, retain both cultural and geographical significance, though perhaps not on the order of newer, higher mountains.

Thanks for reading, yet again!
I thought the Himalayas itself was a quirk; that even it shouldn't have been that tall. It only became as large as it was because the Ind(o-Austral)ian Plate became superheated by a magma plume near Reunion.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
smappy
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by smappy »

It does sound pretty likely. Who's to say that it wasn't also the case for the other mountain ranges though? (speculation)

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

smappy wrote:It does sound pretty likely. Who's to say that it wasn't also the case for the other mountain ranges though? (speculation)
Based only on pure speculation it looks as if, to the north, Mongolia could've been created by the Siberian Plate while it was fusing to the Eurasian Plate, but I'm not too familiar to the geological history of that area. Wikipedia says that that orogeny was created alongside the rest of the Tethyan closure.

I'm creating a new language family near Akuriga. It probably won't do much, except influence Akuriga, and maybe Songke.
Here's it circa 4000 BC. It'll probably have an Indo-Europeanesque phonology, and it'll be the source of several "isolates" later in the Peninsulas history.
Last edited by qwed117 on 14 Aug 2015 04:46, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

The SqwedgePad
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

qwed117 wrote: I'm creating a new language family near Akuriga. It probably won't do much, except influence Akuriga, and maybe Songke.
that sounds good :)

also, what happened to the Ndukhal peoples later? is it possible that they still exist as of 2010 AK?

A group of Amutetikam-speaking peoples that co-existed with the Ndukhal peoples after 5000 BK:

http://telesconlang.wikia.com/wiki/Afetak_peoples
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
smappy
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by smappy »

I think Land's End Ndukhal and Southwest Ndukhal might survive, the other branches not so much.

(for a map, see here)

Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I didn't know what to call the demons from the Formless World (a Hell-like place in Vrkhazhian "mythology"), so I just called them Mashdin, which essentially means "that which chatters/whispers".

Alternatively I wanted to called them Manzhish "That which carries [parasites, disease, impurity, etc.]" but that's what vectors and pathogens do...

*sigh* such indecisiveness...
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Nanarulamut version of Haenyeo/Ama divers(Sea Females):

http://telesconlang.wikia.com/wiki/Naynah_Lamit
Ahzoh wrote:I didn't know what to call the demons from the Formless World (a Hell-like place in Vrkhazhian "mythology"), so I just called them Mashdin, which essentially means "that which chatters/whispers".

Alternatively I wanted to called them Manzhish "That which carries [parasites, disease, impurity, etc.]" but that's what vectors and pathogens do...

probably some of those demons can have multiple names? probably due to areal variations?
smappy wrote:I think Land's End Ndukhal and Southwest Ndukhal might survive, the other branches not so much.

(for a map, see here)
ok :) thank you for your opinion
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

k1234567890y wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:I didn't know what to call the demons from the Formless World (a Hell-like place in Vrkhazhian "mythology"), so I just called them Mashdin, which essentially means "that which chatters/whispers".

probably some of those demons can have multiple names? probably due to areal variations?
Many would not be self-aware enough to have identities like names. They merely represent a malicious force with human-but-animalistic desires. For example, there are Mitsim, which are mashdin made of blood (usually hollow inside) capable of possessing living creatures and they generally have no other reason for wanting to do so other than to inhabit living things and feel "whole" and to propogate.

The mashdin are viewed as responsible for many diseases, famines, fires, and other such disasters so I guess they could be called manzhish "vector" in the sense of being the spiritual personification of disease-carrying agents.
Last edited by Ahzoh on 14 Aug 2015 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Ahzoh wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:

Many would not be self-aware enough to have identities like names. They merely represent a malicious force with human-but-animalistic desires.
They are viewed as responsible for many diseases, famines, fires, and other such disasters so I guess they could be called manzhish "vector" in the sense of being the spiritual personification of disease-carrying agents.
ok :)

also, did the Vrkhazhian peoples invented their own scripts, or did they directly borrowed the one invented by others? If they invented their own scripts, were they invented the scripts because they were inspired by the existence of scripts of other groups of peoples(e.g. Ydtobogȧndeki/itamea )?
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

k1234567890y wrote:also, did the Vrkhazhian peoples invented their own scripts, or did they directly borrowed the one invented by others? If they invented their own scripts, were they invented the scripts because they were inspired by the existence of scripts of other groups of peoples(e.g. Ydtobogȧndeki/itamea )?
Vrkhazhi have there own script. I do not think it is inspired by any outside language families, only Haxiakam.
Script itself is derived from a Proto-Vrkhazhian logograph writing system.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Ahzoh wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:also, did the Vrkhazhian peoples invented their own scripts, or did they directly borrowed the one invented by others? If they invented their own scripts, were they invented the scripts because they were inspired by the existence of scripts of other groups of peoples(e.g. Ydtobogȧndeki/itamea )?
Vrkhazhi have there own script. I do not think it is inspired by any outside language families, only Haxiakam.

also, I am thinking a logogram family that it was first invented by the Kaltek people, and then the system were borrowed by Old Uraki and Classical Highland Taic, however, it seems that other Taic peoples may borrow the script invented by the Vrkhazhian peoples.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

k1234567890y wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:

also, I am thinking a logogram family that it was first invented by the Kaltek people, and then the system were borrowed by Old Uraki and Classical Highland Taic, however, it seems that other Taic peoples may borrow the script invented by the Vrkhazhian peoples.
Maybe you can make a logographic script that connects the Vrkhazhian Abjad with other scripts nearby. I'm not good at logography.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Ahzoh wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:

Maybe you can make a logographic script that connects the Vrkhazhian Abjad with other scripts nearby. I'm not good at logography.
ok...

if you want, please show me what you have now :)
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

k1234567890y wrote:If you want, please show me what you have now :)
http://www.frathwiki.com/%CA%BEA%C5%A1d ... ing_System

I plan on having distinct letters for letter Ṭam, Ṗas, and Ṟaš...
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Ahzoh wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:If you want, please show me what you have now :)
http://www.frathwiki.com/%CA%BEA%C5%A1d ... ing_System

I plan on having distinct letters for letter Ṭam, Ṗas, and Ṟaš...
ok thank you :) and let me see if I can make logographic ancestors of them

Also, I actually have a FrathWiki account, but I don't go to FrathWiki often: http://www.frathwiki.com/User:K1234567890y
smappy
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by smappy »

On Earth a lot of writing systems were invented independently of other writing systems because the inventors were aware of writing in other cultures.

That is, the concept of writing was borrowed but the actual writing system was invented independently.

Maybe that's what happens on Teles?

Alternatively, I think it's fine if the Kaltek system is created completely independently of the Vrkhazian system and the Ydtobogȧniaky system. After all, if those two which are so close together were created independently, why not have a third one far away?

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

smappy wrote:On Earth a lot of writing systems were invented independently of other writing systems because the inventors were aware of writing in other cultures.

That is, the concept of writing was borrowed but the actual writing system was invented independently.

Alternatively, I think it's fine if the Kaltek system is created completely independently of the Vrkhazian system and the Ydtobogȧniaky system. After all, if those two which are so close together were created independently, why not have a third one far away?
That sounds like hangeul.
Edit: I thought that Kaltek was Gixpoyan for a second [>_<] Whoops
Last edited by qwed117 on 14 Aug 2015 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

qwed117 wrote:
smappy wrote:On Earth a lot of writing systems were invented independently of other writing systems because the inventors were aware of writing in other cultures.

That sounds like hangeul.
The prototypical instance of what he's talking about is the Sequoia syllabary. The people who devised hangeul were proficient in hanzi, another writing system, while Sequoia was illiterate.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

qwed117 wrote:
Edit: I thought that Kaltek was Gixpoyan for a second [>_<] Whoops
And the Umbric people?
Well I thought about a syllabilary system like Linear B or Cypriot.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com