Introduction thread(s)

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Re: Introduction thread(s)

Post by Frislander »

Hello, I've come over from the ZBB. I'm not new to conlanging and I have a good deal of linguistic knowledge, so I don't consider myself a noob anymore. I have one relatively fleshed-out conlang called Frislandian (which, if I have time after my exams I might put up the PDF of someday) and numerous others which exist only in notebooks, though they may have relatively fleshed-out grammar. My other interests outside of conlanging include playing the cello and bell-ringing.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome to the CBB! Hopefully we'll get to learn more about Frislandian and your other languages in the future. [:)]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Frislander wrote:.... My other interests …. include …. bell-ringing.
Looking at the picture to which you linked, I gather that includes change-ringing, not just music?
Do you do mostly music, or mostly change-ringing, or roughly the same amount of each?
Do you know a way to ring all the changes on a chromatic octave (about twelve bells)?
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

I am a change-ringer, and have rung 1 full peal so far. Most towers can't ring tunes due to the way the bells are set up; the time between the strokes of a single bell makes repeated notes impractical, for one thing.

One other thing: some people who think they're clever like to refer to our art as "campanology" and to us as "campanologists". This is frankly ridiculous so ringer don't ever use it, and I don't like it when other people do as well; it's just "ringing" as practiced by "ringers".

EDIT: Also, my tower is typical in being tuned to a major scale (in my case A), though a few are tuned to a minor scale, and ringing the front 6 of a major 8 also gives you minor. Any more bells an the range starts to become greater than one octave. There are probably no towers tuned to a chromatic scale (among other things there would probably be even more complaint than usual from the neighbours: in addition to the sheer volume, you now have an atonal tower!).
Ebon
sinic
sinic

Post by Ebon »

Hi! My name's Ebon. I've been lurking for a while and figured I might as well make an account. I've been conlanging of and on for years now; the earlier projects all suck pretty bad, but hey, sucking at something is the first step to not sucking at something quite as bad. I'm currently working on a conlang for a conworld that will hopefully one day be the setting for a novel I want to write. It doesn't have a name yet; the country it's from changed names at some point in the past and I want the language name to reflect the old name, but I haven't thought of one yet. Until I do it shall be named unnamed.

As far as real languages go, I'm fluent in English and German and my Japanese is passable (and constantly improving). I'm currently trying to decide which language to tackle next- feel free to try and steer me towards a particular one if you want. [:D]
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

Hello and welcome, Ebon! Looking forward to seeing more of this mysterious unnamed conlang!
Ebon wrote:sucking at something is the first step to not sucking at something quite as bad.
That is an excellent motto to live one's life by, and/or worldy wisdom to remember for all time. [:D]
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome, Ebon!
Ebon
sinic
sinic

Post by Ebon »

Thanks, kiwikami and shimobaatar!
kiwikami wrote:Hello and welcome, Ebon! Looking forward to seeing more of this mysterious unnamed conlang!
I hope I can deliver then. :) I'll take a look at the conlang threads to see how much information is expected- I'm still missing large patches of grammar.
kiwikami wrote:That is an excellent motto to live one's life by, and/or worldy wisdom to remember for all time. [:D]
I wish I could claim ownership then. But as it is that's a quote I saw somewhere I can't even remember, hahah.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

tqaiye! upayang sayó rondestenem!

hey & welcome you two!
kiwikami wrote:
Ebon wrote:Hello and welcome, Ebon! Looking forward to seeing more of this mysterious unnamed conlang!
I hope I can deliver then. :) I'll take a look at the conlang threads to see how much information is expected- I'm still missing large patches of grammar.
Show as much or as little as you want, and whatever you'd like to whenever whenever that may be!

There are no PC quota systems here. There's no one with a clipboard ticking off which bits you have and haven't divulged. And it's okay to be missing large patches of the grammar. Take your time at it, enjoy the ride and show us some work as you progress along.
Ebon
sinic
sinic

Post by Ebon »

elemtilas wrote:tqaiye! upayang sayó rondestenem!

hey & welcome you two!
Rei aka nimaza- thank you. :)
elemtilas wrote:
Ebon wrote: I hope I can deliver then. :) I'll take a look at the conlang threads to see how much information is expected- I'm still missing large patches of grammar.
Show as much or as little as you want, and whatever you'd like to whenever whenever that may be!

There are no PC quota systems here. There's no one with a clipboard ticking off which bits you have and haven't divulged. And it's okay to be missing large patches of the grammar. Take your time at it, enjoy the ride and show us some work as you progress along.
I'm glad to hear that because I am admittedly intimidated by the crazy levels of detail some of you have lol
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Ebon wrote:
elemtilas wrote:tqaiye! upayang sayó rondestenem!

hey & welcome you two!
Rei aka nimaza- thank you. :)
stay! (no worries) So, how does "rei aka nimaza" work?

"stay" is simply a contracted interjection, which can variously mean "you're welcome / it's nothing", "that's not much", "more please!" and is derived from a noun meaning "anything tiny or small".
Ebon wrote:
elemtilas wrote:Show as much or as little as you want, and whatever you'd like to whenever whenever that may be!
I'm glad to hear that because I am admittedly intimidated by the crazy levels of detail some of you have lol
haihai gluluyyuiyara! (no worries!) Those crazy levels of detail are always arrived at through lots of work. Some folks are like conlangaholics, they binge conlang and thus have a great deal of output. Others have simply been working at a language for such a long time that kind of by default they've simply got a lot of detail about it.

"haihai" is a strong negative particle and in conjunction with an ordinary imperative, in this case, one that means "to needlessly worry or feel anxious", forms a negative imperative.

Also, there is no need to feel intimidated. I'm guessing you're kind of new to this? Whether or no, everyone starts out having never made a language before before actually making one. Best thing to do is simply jump into the deep end and start swimming!
Ebon
sinic
sinic

Post by Ebon »

elemtilas wrote:
stay! (no worries) So, how does "rei aka nimaza" work?
Aka nimaza is a fixed expression that derives from proto-unnamed. It comes from raiakav ngimuzya, which means thanks to you and was used much like thank you in English. Between the phonological changes between then and now and people deciding it was quite a mouthful, it changed to the simpler aka nimaza. At some point, people also started adding rei, which is just the third person singular of to be, so the full expression means thanks is to you- although an average speaker might not be aware of that.

The same expression in the modern version would be rei raika nemuya, but nobody says that.
elemtilas wrote: "stay" is simply a contracted interjection, which can variously mean "you're welcome / it's nothing", "that's not much", "more please!" and is derived from a noun meaning "anything tiny or small".
Ebon wrote: I'm glad to hear that because I am admittedly intimidated by the crazy levels of detail some of you have lol
haihai gluluyyuiyara! (no worries!) Those crazy levels of detail are always arrived at through lots of work. Some folks are like conlangaholics, they binge conlang and thus have a great deal of output. Others have simply been working at a language for such a long time that kind of by default they've simply got a lot of detail about it.

"haihai" is a strong negative particle and in conjunction with an ordinary imperative, in this case, one that means "to needlessly worry or feel anxious", forms a negative imperative.

Also, there is no need to feel intimidated. I'm guessing you're kind of new to this? Whether or no, everyone starts out having never made a language before before actually making one. Best thing to do is simply jump into the deep end and start swimming!
Kind of, yeah, at least compared to a lot of other members on here. This one's not my first conlang, but it's the first that actually feels a little like a language instead of randomly made up words to me.
Thanks for the encouragement! I'll see about writing a thread on it when I find the time. :)
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Ebon wrote:Thanks for the encouragement! I'll see about writing a thread on it when I find the time. :)
No worries! I hope to see what you come up with by and by!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Frislander wrote:I am a change-ringer, and …., you now have an atonal tower!).

I don't know why it took me so long to notice your answer! Thanks!

Also:
@Ebon: Welcome!
Atelier
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Atelier »

Hi, I'm also new.

I've always loved the concept of language and have tried to learn as many as I could but not for the purpose of communicating, rather because I just find them so cool and like the way how different languages sound!

As of conlangs, I often tried to make some before (long ago, just as a small pass time), but it wasn't until now that I started learning about linguistics and phonology, that I've become more dedicated to making conlangs and seeing ones made by others (which is one of the reasons of why I signed up here)

Anyways, I don't know what else to say. But I hope I like this forum! (Seems pretty friendly) [:D]
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Atelier wrote:Hi, I'm also new.

I've always loved the concept of language and have tried to learn as many as I could but not for the purpose of communicating, rather because I just find them so cool and like the way how different languages sound!

As of conlangs, I often tried to make some before (long ago, just as a small pass time), but it wasn't until now that I started learning about linguistics and phonology, that I've become more dedicated to making conlangs and seeing ones made by others (which is one of the reasons of why I signed up here)

Anyways, I don't know what else to say. But I hope I like this forum! (Seems pretty friendly) [:D]
Nice to see you [:D] !
Ebon
sinic
sinic

Post by Ebon »

Atelier wrote:Hi, I'm also new.

A kindred spirit! I love languages. Which ones have you tackled so far?

Welcome to the forum!
Atelier
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Atelier »

I'm only very fluent in English and Spanish but I've learned the bare basics of French, German, Italian, Dutch, and Japanese [:)]
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome to the CBB, Atelier!
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

As a closer friend of mine hopes me to talk about myself more, I decided to write more about myself, and although she is not a conlanger, what are written here can also be used in other places:

I am just a random person who lives somewhere in East Asia, my gender in real life is kept as a secret and don't assume anything about me, many people I know online say that I am calm and very nice, however, you can only know if these are true after really getting along with me for a period of time.

I may look organized, but this is not a fact, I am not an organized person, I don't actually control myself well, I don't even really sort the files of my computer often, and I procrastinate(delay tasks without a good reason) a lot, which is a deadly sin to every job no matter what it is, but not necessary a sin when one is not on duty; even worse, my sleeping and waking times can change from time to time, this is also deadly to every job with a fixed work time, and I have had this problem since I was in high school.

I try to know or at least tolerate what you think and act, but that does not mean what you have done are right or I accept your point of view on things; also, I can be very curious towards people and things I am really interested in.

I am not an outgoing person, but I can be too wordy when it comes to topics I really want to discuss with others.

I don't have any degree in linguistics, I taught myself most knowledge of linguistics for the sake of creating languages and learning foreign languages, so there are possibilities my knowledge about language and linguistics is wrong.

Don't ask my religion belief, this is not your business; as for political ideologies, I think I support democracy and equality of various kinds, including gender equality, racial equality, LGBT rights, and more welfare for those who are less advantaged.

I am diagnosed to have Asperger's syndrome, which is a form of autism, at least a suspicious case, and I do show some autistic traits online, especially obsessions, repetitive behaviors(especially I can talk about the things I am obsessed with again and again), narrow range of interests and the failure to conform the norm of a group, and probably the failure to see things from others' perspectives, and I think I show more symptoms in real life; also, I have done the Autistic Quotient test twice online, I got 35 for the first time and 42 for the second time; also, when I did the "Reading the Mind in the Eyes" test, I got 18/36.

Everyone, including me, can act different from what they really believe without noticing that, what you criticize about me might be right, but that does not mean you are better, actually, one can stereotype others and truly hates stereotyping, and one can do anything they really hate without noticing that.

I often ride bicycle in real life, but I always bring my tablet computer with me, so I can always go online whenever I want; besides, I read a lot, most things I read are non-fictional in nature, although nowadays I mostly read online articles.

Except for Asperger's syndrome and aging(which everyone suffers from), I currently don't suffer from any serious health issue, and I am not facing financial problems in real life, either.

I appear in a variety of places on the internet, and I can roam from places to other places online from time to time. I used to contribute some articles to Wikipedia, albeit not the English Wikipedia, but curretly I don't really make many contributions as I used to. I started to use the Internet before 2003, and I started to use the Internet more since 2005 and shifted to English-speaking circles in about 2013, however, before 2014, I was basically emotionally detached from people, I only started to have really good friends after meeting Tay Ayase on G+ and several people on Second Life.

My parents are still alive and I live with them; I basically have no social life in real life, I rely on the Internet to develop my social life, I know my good friends online like Tay Ayase with the help of my English ability and Hyperdimension Neptunia series, and Tay Ayase is one of my best friends currently; despite suffering from Asperger's syndrome and not having social life in real life, I have never been really in trouble and fallen victim to bad people in real life after leaving high school.

Besides my mother tongue and English, I know some Standard German and can hold conversation in Standard German to some extent; besides, I also know some Manchu, Japanese and a little Slovak.

Besides languages and linguistics, I am also interested in society things like psychology, history, etc. I know Chinese history more than histories of the Western world and other places; besides, I also possess a certain amount of mathematics and there are times I can be interested in mathematics, physics(especially high school physics) and other fields of natural science; moreover, I am somewhat interested in video games and Japanese animes and mangas, and I try and learn to draw people in an anime style.

As stated above, I teach myself knowledge of linguistics, besides, I also teach myself how to draw people in an anime style and some knowledge of psychology, especially those related to autism spectrum disorder and personality traits, and knowledge of some other fields, and I learn Standard German, Manchu and Slovak mostly by teaching myself how to read and write them, too.

I listen to various genres of musics, including classical music, traditional folk songs of Czech and Slovak, Japanese and Taiwanese Enka and oldies, children songs, and some anime/game songs, but I don't really listen to rock or metal musics, and mostly I don't listen to pop musics, either, my preferences of music and my preference of anime/games contradict to each other pretty much.

You may think I have written a really long article to introduce myself; however, I am usually very reserved about myself, I don't usually talk to people about myself much; besides, I tend to be very cautious when getting along with people, I think, but probably due to my autism, I think I can still accidently offend people occasionally.

My DeviantART: http://k1234567890y.deviantart.com

My Twitter: http://twitter.com/k1234567890y (don't expect to find a lot of linguistic things there)

My Tumblr: http://k1234567890y.tumblr.com (basically inactive, don't expect to find a lot of linguistic things there)

My Conworkshop: http://conworkshop.info/view_profile.php?m=S6411814634

My CALS: http://cals.conlang.org/people/472

My Minicity: http://newplaneptune.myminicity.com/ (basically inactive)

My forum: http://k1234567890y.forumotion.com (basically inactive)

My Second Life: https://my.secondlife.com/k1234567890y

About Conlanging:

I started to make conlangs by making a priori langs for my conworld(s), and I managed to make a language with only knowledge of my native tongue and English taught in high school when I was in high school...I didn't have much knowledge of linguistics and languages besides my native tongue and English before I went to university.

I will write more as I can think more and want to write more about me.
Last edited by k1234567890y on 29 Jul 2016 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.