The Index Diachronica: THE INDEX DIACHRONICA RIDES AGAIN

A forum for guides, lessons and sharing of useful information.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Re: The Index Diachronica: v.10.0 is out—IT'S PARTY TIME

Post by Creyeditor »

chridd wrote:
Linguifex (almost a year ago, I know) wrote:I would like to make the Index Unicode-compatible for ease of searching, but redoing the entire 300+-page document in XeTeX or XeLaTeX or whatever would take me a considerable amount of time. Therefore, I am asking for help.
I think I've figured out how to make a Unicode PDF without having to retyping the whole thing (PDF, TeX source (use with xelatex), though this is based on an old version of Index Diachronica since I don't have the TeX source for the most recent version). (Mostly it just involved changing around the \usepackage statements, and also \ipa in section headings needed to be changed, and also a font that has all the characters.)

I've also made a webpage where you can search for sound changes involving a specific sound (again based on an old version).
The webpage is what we all longed for in our dreams [:)]
Hope it gets updated soon [:)]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach »

Indeed, good job well done. This makes answering a lot of questions easy. Updated content would of course be nice and the presentation can always be fine tuned (a somewhat better contrast for the font colour and giving more structure to the searchable IPA table would be nice), but these are all secondary issues.
ImageKištaLkal sikSeic
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

That's amazing! Thanks for that, it'll be very helpful!

An additional (very tiny) suggestion: say which version of the ID it's using. I know you linked to it, but it'd be nice for a quick reference.
chridd
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by chridd »

gach wrote:a somewhat better contrast for the font colour
On your computer, does it look more like the left screenshot or the right screenshot (or neither)? (In other words, is the problem the colors I've actually chosen, or is the problem a browser compatibility issue?) (Spoilered for size)
Spoiler:
~ chri d. d. /ʧɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · they (for now, at least) · My conlangs · Searchable Index Diachronica
gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach »

I see it like the left screenshot in both Firefox and Chromium. The light blue is easier with the orange text of the unopened links compared to the darker one (I see very little contrast between the links and the background on the top line "chridd » Conlangs » Searchable Index Diachronica") but the colour is still somewhat lightish on the light background. I find that this makes some of the characters with smaller diacritics difficult to recognise without taking a second look. Increasing the font size on the IPA should also help.
ImageKištaLkal sikSeic
chridd
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by chridd »

Is it better now? Worse? (Some changes I made might require force-refresh.)
For colors, there's a color scheme chooser.

Does anyone have a newer version of the LaTeX file for Index Diachronica?
~ chri d. d. /ʧɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · they (for now, at least) · My conlangs · Searchable Index Diachronica
gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach »

chridd wrote:Is it better now? Worse? (Some changes I made might require force-refresh.)
The larger size helps readability but it also forces the cells in many case quite tall. But then again, many of the cells have a large number of cells anyway and should probably be split into smaller parts. For example length and no audible release could in my view be merged under the base consonants in the table and only be separated on the pages listing the sound changes. There are also some symbols associated with certain reconstructions (like the PIE palatals) that could be grouped under probably corresponding IPA to help with the crowding.

Or course, if it's just a tool occasionally used by a few people, you don't have to worry too much about getting the design just right.
ImageKištaLkal sikSeic
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

chridd wrote:Is it better now? Worse? (Some changes I made might require force-refresh.)
For colors, there's a color scheme chooser.

Does anyone have a newer version of the LaTeX file for Index Diachronica?
The color scheme chooser really made it better for me.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
chridd
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by chridd »

How's this for a more manageable IPA table?
gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach »

Top-notch.
ImageKištaLkal sikSeic
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

I am extremely honored—chridd made a searchable Index. I really, really love this. I want to say so many superlatives about it! I love it when people do stuff with the Index. Fantastic work, chridd!

If you'd like, I can get you the TeX file for the latest version.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
chridd
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by chridd »

Linguifex wrote:If you'd like, I can get you the TeX file for the latest version.
Yes, that would be helpful.
Man in Space
roman
roman

Re: The Index Diachronica: CHRIDD'S SEARCHABLE INDEX = WONDE

Post by Man in Space »

Here you go. Note that I plan to update this to v.11.0 within the next week or so.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Linguifex, do you consider to hire someone who knows database to make an online database of phonological changes where everyone can search for all known sound changes and the languages where the sound changes occur?
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

k1234567890y wrote:Linguifex, do you consider to hire someone who knows database to make an online database of phonological changes where everyone can search for all known sound changes and the languages where the sound changes occur?
This thread is kindof a big deal! [:D]
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

When I click the link to the latest version of the Index, it redirects me to a page that just says that it's not there anymore, and that it might have been moved or made private. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Have I missed something?
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

shimobaatar wrote:When I click the link to the latest version of the Index, it redirects me to a page that just says that it's not there anymore, and that it might have been moved or made private. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Have I missed something?
Dropbox, for some reason, changed all Public folders to Private. I'm going to have to find another solution. In the meantime chridd has the latest version up on his site.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Linguifex wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:When I click the link to the latest version of the Index, it redirects me to a page that just says that it's not there anymore, and that it might have been moved or made private. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Have I missed something?
Dropbox, for some reason, changed all Public folders to Private. I'm going to have to find another solution. In the meantime chridd has the latest version up on his site.
Found it, thanks!
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I've got a question for Chridd. Could you expand the search function for categories (the things written as capital letters, like B=Back vowel)?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Linguifex wrote:
You can still share a link to the file, though.