Con-Script Development Centre

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Con-Script Development Centre

Post by Ahzoh »

But have you considered how much, and in what ways, the medium will influence the writing-system?
I considered that at the outset, and this is all written on a paper-like material called manu using a pencil-like writing tool.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

eldin raigmore wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:...It is derived from the same writing system and probably going to look very similar on stone carving and metal work....
Aren't curves rather hard to carve on stone?
People always say this, but it depends on the type of stone and the amount of time you have. If you work with softer types of stone like sandstone or limestone, it's easier to carve curves, and as ancient epigraphic scripts the world over prove, from Mayan to Roman to Egyptian to Indian, you can get plenty of curves if you want them.
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

It depends of the main usage... If you use to write on soft material your stone carving will be more curvy...
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

I actually succeeded in making a functional font of my En script. I never thought that I would be able to do it, because of the nature of the script (as you can see in the sample, the script is vertical, but letters occasionally appear beside each other), but I have basically worked it out. It all works pretty automatically as well.

lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

Pretty ! although I can not help but bend my head on the right to watch it on the "good direction"...
For myself long ago I abandoned the idea of making a boustrophedon font...
Except using special text processor...
Now for 2D writing, I insert a table in my page...
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

clawgrip wrote:I actually succeeded in making a functional font of my En script. I never thought that I would be able to do it, because of the nature of the script (as you can see in the sample, the script is vertical, but letters occasionally appear beside each other), but I have basically worked it out. It all works pretty automatically as well.

Wow, that looks really nice [:)]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Thanks. I actually designed the script about 3 years ago, but only recently realized I had enough know-how to actually make a font of it (that still needs tweaking).

Also, the script is vertical left-to-right, so if you turn your head to the right, you're reading it the wrong way.
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

clawgrip wrote:the script is vertical left-to-right, so if you turn your head to the right, you're reading it the wrong way.
if top to botom I have to bend to the right to see it... right...

if also left to right... may be in a mirror...

but for non cursive it is not so evident...
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Bizarre.

I'll explain how it works. The script is a vertical syllabary, and syllable signs are arranged in sequence to spell words:

Image nga-ha-she - Ngahashe

Final syllables (and geminates) are marked through a combination of echo vowels and horizontal writing:

Image he - ke

Image hek

Image si - hi - ki

Image sihịk

You can see from these two examples that the choice of which glyph to use for the coda consonant depends on the vowel that comes before it.

Final nasals have dedicated signs:

Image ghọ-mu-n ghọmun
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

Interesting, a syllable sign become diacritic (in head-bending view) to lose its vowel...
Is there a semantic thing in this move...
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

No, no semantics. I chose the relatively normal echo vowel strategy, but I wanted to remove the ambiguity, so I added the change of writing direction.

Also, in the font itself, the glyphs actually do in fact function as diacritics (marks).
jimydog000
greek
greek

Post by jimydog000 »

There are a lot of broken images on this thread because of Photobucket.
Let's fix these broken Photobucket links by at least adding a URL text link beneath them...?
A signature.
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

I'm afraid that the url of the pics remain also inaccessible ...
So life goes, everything is perishable ...
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

jimydog000 wrote:There are a lot of broken images on this thread because of Photobucket.
Let's fix these broken Photobucket links by at least adding a URL text link beneath them...?
You can still see an image by quoting the post and following the URL in the post editor.
jimydog000
greek
greek

Post by jimydog000 »

You can also access the URL by clicking on inspect element. I'm just imagining an an amazing moderator putting the URL address beneath each broken image, but maybe that's a pipe dream.
A signature.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

I doubt any of us mods is interested in doing that. Personally, I avoid editing the text of other people's posts, except under pretty limited circumstances. A broken link isn't among them.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Dormouse559 wrote:I doubt any of us mods is interested in doing that. Personally, I avoid editing the text of other people's posts, except under pretty limited circumstances. A broken link isn't among them.
Not to mention some of those broken links are coming up to being 4 years old now. If the work is still ongoing, then there's a chance more up-to-date images will be available elsewhere on the board, otherwise I'd suggest either viewing the images individually as possible, or PM the person who made the post for more information [:)]

I'd agree with Dormouse that, generally speaking, we tend not to edit posts unless we have to (like if a post breaks a rule but is still, for some reason, worth keeping around).
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I finally polished up my conscript to match the new version of Vrkhazhian's phonology. I'm wondering if someone could make a cursive version of my script?:
Spoiler:
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

Have you a text in it...
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Yes. I've got a letter on conworkshop.

I plan on making a font of the normal script and a font of a cursive script, although I can't do cursive or calligraphy at all, digital or otherwise.